It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible is 2000 year old psychic sandpeople garbage nonsense.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Actually, you are incorrect. All of what has been foretold in the Bible is a foreshadowing of this day and age. I can show you 1000 examples of how the Bible has never been innumerate, but you only need the one that cannot be denied that is completely accurate to the very year it happened.

Let me see if I got this straight:

[color=F5DDAE]Step1. Completely ignore ALL of the many failed predictions stated within the bible.

Step2. Focus only on the one that eventually did occur.

Step3. Hallelujah! All of the stories in the bible are real, and it truly is something more than just a fictional storybook.

Am I close?

Here's a dartboard metaphor:

I threw 100 darts at the board.
I now have 99 darts stuck in the wall.
Somehow, 1 dart actually hit the board.

Now if I were to use your reasoning, and focus only on the 1 dart that hit the board, while ignoring the other 99, I can accurately conclude that I kick ass at darts.

edit on 11/25/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

There are hundreds of fulfilled prophecies relating to Israels captivity in Babylon.

There are over 800 fulfilled prophecies about Jesus Christ.

Except for the prophecies that are still to come to pass, EVERY ONE has so far been 100% accurate.

Please provide at least one prophecy that has not come to pass exactly as said.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Here ya go. rationalwiki.org...

Destruction of Egypt

Egypt. What a desolate wasteland
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries.[4]
This passage is one of the most erroneous in the entire Bible. Egypt has never been a desolate waste, there has never been a time when people have not walked through it, there has never been a period of forty years when Egypt was uninhabited, and it has never been surrounded by other desolate countries.[5]
In Ezekiel 30:10-11 he further predicts that Nebuchadnezzar will destroy Egypt:
This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his army—the most ruthless of nations— will be brought in to destroy the land. They will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain. (NIV)
However, Nebuchadnezzar was defeated in his only attempt to invade Egypt.[6]
[edit]Nile will dry up

Yep, still there
Ezekiel 30:12 continues with a prediction that the Nile River will run dry.
I will dry up the streams of the Nile and sell the land to evil men; by the hand of foreigners I will lay waste the land and everything in it. I the LORD have spoken. (NIV)
There is no evidence that this has happened in recorded history

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by maes2

Originally posted by maes2

...I do not regard Bible the exactly words of God !! however most of it is more like a history book.
Ok so you're admitting that the Bible is a collection of some truths mixed along with many lies?

....and was written by the victors?

You are saying that the Israel's were/are historical victors?

Get real.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by facehole
If you put 10 people in a row and have them play telephone game the initial words spoken will be utterly unrecognizable by the end. Multiply that by centuries, then multiply by unethical religions editing things to suit their needs, then multiply that by repeated re-translation... it would seem next to impossible that even if there was some sort of higher intelligence involved in any of these random myths and writings that it would be garbled beyond belief by this day and age.

Just because something is old doesn't make it true. Just because something is published and distributed a lot doesn't make it true. I will say though that some parts are interesting. If you use some creative thinking, some of the prophecies in Daniel do sort of line up with the rise and fall of world powers through the centuries. Is it possible that some of these books/scrolls were originally written by people with an extremely high intuition or ability to perceive future events? Possibly, but I'd think that any message pertaining to our time would be long lost in the mix even if it ever existed in the first place.

If those ten people pass a written text from hand to hand, it doesn't change at all. Your analogy is invalid.

In most cases, we have very ancient and early texts. When we compare these originals with modern translations and intermediate texts, we don't actually find ANY significant changes in facts or theme. This fact seems to elude some people, who post their ignorant, opinionated BS.

We can see you!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Here ya go. rationalwiki.org...

Destruction of Egypt

Egypt. What a desolate wasteland
Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee. And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the LORD: because he hath said, The river is mine, and I have made it. Behold, therefore I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years: and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries.[4]
This passage is one of the most erroneous in the entire Bible. Egypt has never been a desolate waste, there has never been a time when people have not walked through it, there has never been a period of forty years when Egypt was uninhabited, and it has never been surrounded by other desolate countries.[5]
In Ezekiel 30:10-11 he further predicts that Nebuchadnezzar will destroy Egypt:
This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his army—the most ruthless of nations— will be brought in to destroy the land. They will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain. (NIV)
However, Nebuchadnezzar was defeated in his only attempt to invade Egypt.[6]
[edit]Nile will dry up

Yep, still there
Ezekiel 30:12 continues with a prediction that the Nile River will run dry.
I will dry up the streams of the Nile and sell the land to evil men; by the hand of foreigners I will lay waste the land and everything in it. I the LORD have spoken. (NIV)
There is no evidence that this has happened in recorded history

Regarding the river Nile, this prophecy has not yet happened but is now immanent as outlined in this piece (Egypt's Food Supply in Danger) in the New York Times.

When the Nile dries up, it is likely that significant portions of Egypt and Africa will become wasteland. It is likely that millions of people will begin to migrate (as we saw during Nakba in 1968 where many Arabic and Palestinian people migrated, triggering significant conflict and loss of life). History is likely to repeat itself.

Also, What was once Syene in Egypt is now called Aswan, where the Aswan Dam is located. If you look at the area from the town of Aswan to the border of Ethiopia, it is called the Nubian Desert. It IS desolate as per the prophecy!

Also, historically, you are quite wrong about Nebuchadnezzar defeating Egypt. Please read this from Wikipedia - Battle of Charchemish for a little bit of history that was prophesied beforehand and came to pass EXACTLY as prophesied.

edit on 25/11/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The Bible is a great book for those that have a tough decision to make, after having a dump.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

BOY did you nail it. People that believe that nonsense, well . . . sell 'em a bridge like every other Televangelist is doing.

The weak-minded are so easily controlled.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

I just wish your post didn't look like a four year old wrote it. People would take you more seriously, and I wish they would. A little harsh, slightly uncalled-for, but generally accurate. It's gotta get through to them sometime.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I think you and I have a misunderstanding of what I mean by tolerance in this case. First, I don't think Islam is a problem, I think extremism is a problem.

I am not saying that if extremists are trying to take over the world and kill everyone that doesn't think like them that we should just accept that, not defend ourselves and call it a day.

I realize that some religions say things about killing non believers or have certain laws about killing someone for doing a certain thing. Yet not all followers are out killing non believers or killing someone for doing a certain thing. The ones who are killing are extremists. I do not tolerate extremists.

As I wrote this is just my way of thinking. If you don't like that, it's fine. We might not ever agree and I'm okay with that.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well Jazztrance, it would seem you are winner of 'Nothing'. Clearly it seems that 'nothingness' will be your ultimate destination, that is, based logically on your argument no God, no Creator, hence no afterlife.
But What an angry person you seem to be, what do you get out of all this? Clearly your search has concluded with the truth you now possess, thought it seems a hollow victory for you. And it is simply Your victory, in your world of understanding.
Thing is, your for real, a testament to what sort of people comprise humanity. What we all share. I guess it's easier to comment negatively on the Bible if you have never studied it by reading it and referenced it with other ancient historical writings. Writings that tell of the same events, but from much different sources. But it's moot even giving examples, your mind's made up and to you it's all man made corrupt lies period....... I guess you had better hope your right about all your pronouncements.

Myself......... I stand here with EnochWasRight.
He is right, but it's also a hard pill to swallow for an Atheist.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Bottom line...

Call the new testament a holy scripture, ghost story or fairy-tail...it matters not....but if you follow the teachings found in the sermon on the mount you will become a better more loving and forgiving person which will ultimately bless your life.

Just read it.....

www.biblegateway.com...

With an honest and open mind...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
606 B.C Israel taken into Babylonian captivity
- 70 Years for 70 years
= 536 B.C. End of first 70 years of judgment
+ 2483 Years Now add the 2,483 years remaining in this judgment
+ 1 Year Add 1 year because there is no "0" B.C. or A.D.
= 1948 AD! End of judgment against nation Israel

Disbelieve if you like, but this cannot be denied.

I don't want to say you are wrong but the date/year was decided by the elite/UN.
It wouldn't be the first time the whole "elite" agenda towards NWO, often try to act according to the bible and to bring forth the prophecy of the revelations.

I for one, don't believe that bible passages are historic more than prophetic unless we are stuck in some sort of weird time loop that's been instilled by the devil to "cheat" existence from God...which is another subject entirely.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Regarding the river Nile, this prophecy has not yet happened but is now immanent as outlined in this piece (Egypt's Food Supply in Danger) in the New York Times.

When the Nile dries up, it is likely that significant portions of Egypt and Africa will become wasteland. It is likely that millions of people will begin to migrate (as we saw during Nakba in 1968 where many Arabic and Palestinian people migrated, triggering significant conflict and loss of life). History is likely to repeat itself.

History ALWAYS repeats itself. You don't have to be a prophet to know that. The fact that nearly 6000 years have passed and the Nile hasn't dried up, and there was never a 40 year period where Egypt was uninhabited indicates a failed prophecy in my mind. Saying that it just hasn't happened yet is a cop out.

From your link:

Egypt’s plight could become part of a larger, more troubling scenario. Its upstream Nile neighbors — Sudan, with 44 million people, and Ethiopia, with 83 million — are growing even faster, increasing the need for water to produce food. Projections by the United Nations show the combined population of these three countries increasing to 272 million by 2025 — and 360 million by 2050 — from 208 million now.

Growing water demand, driven by population growth and foreign land and water acquisitions, are straining the Nile’s natural limits. Avoiding dangerous conflicts over water will require three transnational initiatives. First, governments must address the population threat head-on by ensuring that all women have access to family planning services and by providing education for girls in the region. Second, countries must adopt more water-efficient irrigation technologies and plant less water-intensive crops.

How does population growth and mismanagement of natural resources translate to a fulfilled prophecy of God's wrath?

Also, historically, you are quite wrong about Nebuchadnezzar defeating Egypt. Please read this from Wikipedia - Battle of Charchemish for a little bit of history that was prophesied beforehand and came to pass EXACTLY as prophesied.

It wasn't prophecied, it was reported.

This is the historical context of the events described in the first prophecy of Jeremiah 46. It appears to have been recorded here after the fact (compare verse 2) but originally spoken or written by Jeremiah at the very time the battle of Carchemish was being engaged (compare verses 3-10). Perhaps God gave the prophet a vision of what was actually occurring far away. bible.ucg.org...'s-army-at-Carchemish-and-further-retreat/default.aspx

From your link:

Part of the Egyptian-Babylonian wars
Date c. 605 BC
Location Carchemish
Result Decisive Babylonian victory. End of Egyptian intervention in near east

The end of their intervention isn't the destruction of their society. Failed prophecy.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

History ALWAYS repeats itself. You don't have to be a prophet to know that. The fact that nearly 6000 years have passed and the Nile hasn't dried up, and there was never a 40 year period where Egypt was uninhabited indicates a failed prophecy in my mind. Saying that it just hasn't happened yet is a cop out.

Unless, of course it hasn't happened yet, then it isn't a cop out. That's the thing about prophecy, it usually refers to events that have not occurred at the time the prophecy was given.

From your link:

Egypt’s plight could become part of a larger, more troubling scenario. Its upstream Nile neighbors — Sudan, with 44 million people, and Ethiopia, with 83 million — are growing even faster, increasing the need for water to produce food. Projections by the United Nations show the combined population of these three countries increasing to 272 million by 2025 — and 360 million by 2050 — from 208 million now.

Growing water demand, driven by population growth and foreign land and water acquisitions, are straining the Nile’s natural limits. Avoiding dangerous conflicts over water will require three transnational initiatives. First, governments must address the population threat head-on by ensuring that all women have access to family planning services and by providing education for girls in the region. Second, countries must adopt more water-efficient irrigation technologies and plant less water-intensive crops.

How does population growth and mismanagement of natural resources translate to a fulfilled prophecy of God's wrath?

God can do it however He likes.

In fact, the specific prophecy refers to Egypt from the Tower at Syene, to the Ethiopian border, being desolate. Syene is today called Aswan and the area between it and the border of Ethiopia is called the Nubian Desert. How is this not desolate? Again the prophecy is exact to the text.

It wasn't prophecied, it was reported.

This is the historical context of the events described in the first prophecy of Jeremiah 46. It appears to have been recorded here after the fact (compare verse 2) but originally spoken or written by Jeremiah at the very time the battle of Carchemish was being engaged (compare verses 3-10). Perhaps God gave the prophet a vision of what was actually occurring far away. bible.ucg.org...'s-army-at-Carchemish-and-further-retreat/default.aspx

So Jeremiah somehow knew about battles going on at vast distances from his location, and yet, somehow, it isn't really prophecy? Either way, it was knowledge supernaturally brought to Jeremiah, from God (according to the text). You can spin that any way you want, but the best source we have is from the text. Anything else is just supposition.

From your link:

Part of the Egyptian-Babylonian wars
Date c. 605 BC
Location Carchemish
Result Decisive Babylonian victory. End of Egyptian intervention in near east

The end of their intervention isn't the destruction of their society. Failed prophecy.

The prophecy was that someone called Nebucadnezzar would destroy the "horde" of Egypt. This is plainly the army of Egypt and not general populace or culture. Prophecy sustained.

(Note: Any word given from God is defined as prophecy. Not all prophecy foretells the future, that is a common misunderstanding of the meaning of the word).

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Unless, of course it hasn't happened yet, then it isn't a cop out. That's the thing about prophecy, it usually refers to events that have not occurred at the time the prophecy was given.

Wait long enough and any number of things are likely to happen and rehappen again. No magic there.

In fact, the specific prophecy refers to Egypt from the Tower at Syene, to the Ethiopian border, being desolate. Syene is today called Aswan and the area between it and the border of Ethiopia is called the Nubian Desert. How is this not desolate? Again the prophecy is exact to the text.

No it's not. Read it again.

So Jeremiah somehow knew about battles going on at vast distances from his location, and yet, somehow, it isn't really prophecy? Either way, it was knowledge supernaturally brought to Jeremiah, from God (according to the text). You can spin that any way you want, but the best source we have is from the text. Anything else is just supposition.

Truth is, I got that from a Christian apologetic site. It's not so hard to believe that the writers Jeremiah wrote that even as little as a year after it happened, There's no reason to assume something supernatural took place, at all.

(Note: Any word given from God is defined as prophecy. Not all prophecy foretells the future, that is a common misunderstanding of the meaning of the word).

I reject the idea that the Bible is the word of God. I also have predicted events that DID take place. Am I God?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

OK, First you say that Nebucadnezzer never conquered Egypt, then I pointed out that he did in fact conquer them at the battle of Charchemish. You then went on to say that he never made the cities of Egypt desolate but you have not a shred of proof.

Nebucadnezzer was Babylonian. When Babylonians conquered other groups, they took them into captivity. It was 'modus operandi' for the Babylonians. It happened for the Philistines, Edomites, Moabites, Assyrians & the Jews, why would it not also have happened for the Egyptians?

It is both logical and likely that this has happened and that Babylon took the entire peoples of Egypt into captivity for forty years, leaving their cities deserted (as in the cases of the aforementioned other captives).

Perhaps the reason it was not recorded was that it took too long for the Egyptians to carve the details of their miserable defeat in stone, so they didn't bother.

At the end of the forty years, the MedoPersians defeated Babylon and so I would assume the captives took the opportunity and escaped back to their homeland. (Note: Cyrus, the MedoPersian King, repatriated most of the Babylonian captives back to their homelands as part of state policy (link). This was according to a prophecy, that even mentioned him by name (link), from 150 years previous. There were also other prophecies relating to this same freedom from captivity and to the rebuilding of Jerusalem with accurate dates and times to the day).

The fulfillment of prophecy in the Bible is really quite remarkable (but if you never even read the prophecies or understand history, you'll miss it).

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The bible says God loves everyone right? So no matter how bad things are in life, it's OK, god loves you..

Cool, so all the children that are STARVING to death, and being RAPED TORTURED AND MURDERED as we SPEAK should just relax right? Because god loves you....

What a crock of $hit.
edit on 25/11/12 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Look. You said show me one failed prophecy. I gave you a link to a site that lists tons of failed prophecies. I quoted from their site the prophecy of the Nile river running dry. It hasn't! You say "not yet" like that's good enough. (face palm)

Egypt has never been uninhabitable. Not for 40 years, not for 4 years. FAIL!

Nebuchadnezzar did not fulfill the prophecy according to a number of scholars, not just me. That's why I quoted others' so as to avoid this kind of redunckulious argument with you.

I can't help it if your mind sees prophecy being fulfilled by the "Captian Obviouses" of the Bible, that predicted that people will act badly and consequence ensue. But you can't make me believe that that these people's wishful thinking about the destruction of their enemies is divine prophecy of their God's wrath, or that God is still throwing wrathful tantrums in the middle east.

Anyway, isn't the earth under the covenant of Jesus now? Isn't all that old covenant stuff obsolete, due to the death and resurrection of Jesus? Shouldn't these prophecies have been fulfilled before the ending of the wrathful covenant and the beginning of the forgiving covenant that Jesus supposedly brought?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Wait long enough and any number of things are likely to happen and rehappen again. No magic there.

... and many more things will never happen, no matter how much longer you wait.

No it's not. Read it again.

It says "I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from the tower of Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia".
What's so hard to understand about that?

Truth is, I got that from a Christian apologetic site. It's not so hard to believe that the writers Jeremiah wrote that even as little as a year after it happened, There's no reason to assume something supernatural took place, at all.

According to current archaeological evidence, the prophecy was penned at least two years prior to the battle.

I reject the idea that the Bible is the word of God. I also have predicted events that DID take place. Am I God?

Reject what you will.

Your logic is flawed (E.g: dogs having four legs does not automatically define all four legged animals as dogs). Just because God makes predictions and you have made predictions, doesn't mean you are God.

... and with such a crumbling argument, fuzzy grasp of history, incomplete knowledge of scripture and faulty logic, I highly doubt that you are God.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As David Lynch stated so eloquently: If you have a golf-ball sized consciousness... when you read something you will walk away with a golf ball sized understanding.

That works both directions... believing blindly and disbelieving arrogantly.

Don't fall for the interpretations of any old writings that are designed for children and/or control. But don't then make the folly of assuming the source material lacks value just because many people are interpreting it... questionably.

You can turn a Calculus book into a joke if you give overly simplistic explanations and examples to a student as well. The problem does not fundamentally lie in the content, but how we use and interpret the content.

The value is there in that book (as well as the Tao Te Ching, Rig Vedas, etc etc). But just like Calculus, don't expect to learn it by listening to a person who is at the equivalent of elementary math understandings but is happy to repeat what their parents told them about calculus as if they understood it themselves.

You gotta do some legwork yourself and dispense with the assumption you actually have any idea what's going on around you.

No person can even prove another person is conscious besides themselves, and we expect to find the truths of the entire universe and ourselves in a book or an experiment?

Namaste.
edit on 25-11-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join