It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria - Update and Information thread

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Of course its old news:

In less than 24 hours, rebels used surface-to-air missiles to strike down two aircraft in northern Syria, marking a turning point in their war with forces of President Bashar al-Assad.

But heres the take from one analyst:

Little more than a week ago, the rebels seized tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery, 120-mm mortars and rocket launchers when they took the regime forces' sprawling Base 46, about 12 kilometres (eight miles) west of Aleppo.

Rebel commander General Ahmed Faj told AFP on Friday that the rebels also seized surface-to-air missiles from the base.

"If the rebels have a significant arsenal of surface-to-air missiles, like the well-known Stingers that decimated Russian helicopters and jets in Afghanistan, Assad's army will lose part of its control of the sky," Syria expert Fabrice Balanche told AFP.

"Rebel-held areas will become safe, and insurgents will be able to go on the offensive without fearing the aerial threat."

I heard flights in and out of Damascus were suspended until further notice due to "security reasons"... like little smoke trails with war heads on them are screaming around looking for aircraft.

Any aircraft.

www.asdnews.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
And another look. This one implicates Qatar as a source for some of the missiles being employed in Syria:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This one is a bit older (OCT.) but undescores how little is needed to endanger a top line fighter or helicopter. Two men, a scooter and a missile launcher.

Shoot and scoot...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
And another blog that purports that some of the rockets in the video I presented last page maybe training devices, not actual weapons.

Woops, my bad.

brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk...

Doesn't explain the downed aircraft in the last 24 hours though.

Edit: further:

edit on 30-11-2012 by intrptr because: retract

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Thanks for all the updates/info guys

Another Friends of Syria meeting just wrapped up. Same old same old..."Really concerned...blah...humanitarian crisis...blah...Really should intervene soon...International community failing in it's responsibility..."

www.thenews.com.pk...

Their hypocricy truly is boundless.

I wish I could find the article I read earlier...It actually said, quoting some military person, "We should hurry up and get in there, or it'll be over and we'll have lost our chance." WTactualF?!?
And Killary, or Hellary if you prefer, 'stressing', (paraphrasing), "That we don't want to turn to arms if a political solution can be found". Smirk cackle smirk. (ok, I added that part).
Jesus, I can't get over how...diabolical these people are.

edit on 30-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comment

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Here's an article I just ran across in the comments at Penny's blog.

It's kind of a mind#. It'd be cool (I think?!) if it comes to pass...The gist of it is, supposedly Obama's laying plans to make (even if uneasy) allies out of Assad and Iran, instead of continuing with the current cluster#...I guess we'll see if it's true, and if he'd live through attempting such a thing...

"BEFORE OUR VERY EYES" Obama II The Purge and the Pact Nov 28
www.voltairenet.org...

(Here's the link to Penny's blog pennyforyourthoughts2.blogspot.com... ;there's another article linked in the comments about an FSA arms scandal I haven't checked out yet.)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
"Bomb explosion rips through Press
TV vehicles in Syria"

www.presstv.ir...

Today, in Aleppo; no one hurt.

- Reports on twitter that some communication is starting to come back online.

- An article from a Syrian paper, found on twitter:

"The current situation of the Syrian
Revolution" Nov 25

www.syria-tribune.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

But heres the take from one analyst:

Your source is an Arm Chair think Tank the same think tanks who are cheering for the war in Iran.

Since the end of July, the Syrian regime has used fighter jets to try to suppress a growing insurgency. The air force has frequently bombarded rebel-held areas across the country, causing high casualties.

Thats what our general MSM have been claiming to this past summer.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a watchdog that relies on a network of activists and medics on the ground

To date The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, have not been reliable and from the article i pretty much laughed how they are defending the Jihadists by claiming that the fighters who supposedly brought the jet down were just simple villagers.

I am sorry but the same lies from Libya ain't going to work twice.

The lie.

Rebels in Tourmanin said insurgent members of the Ahrar Daret Ezza group, whose name means the Free People of Daret Ezza, a nearby village, were responsible for the strike.

Yes oh i am quite sure they were just simple untrained People of Daret Ezza, from a nameless nearby village. And what did they yell after?

Dozens of rebels rushed to the scene minutes after the plane was shot down, crying out "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest).

Now tell me again who most commonly uses the phrase Allahu Akbars during a war zone in the middle east?

Oh and i also i noticed how in the same article you posted also defends the Child soldiers that the Free Syrian Army are using.

Children rummaged among the smouldering debris, as the stench of kerosene and burning plastic rose. Some teenagers picked up pieces of the plane's broken wings, others played with ammunition.

teenagers picked up pieces of the plane's broken wings, others played with ammunition.

Oh i am sure the other played with ammunition. Its been well documented that the FSA have been using child soldiers since the start of the war last year, only now they the media are starting to talk about it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I take downed aircraft claims with a big grain of salt when it comes to the FSA. At least one of their videos was shown to be a remote control plane, and several others were either taken from another conflict and claimed to be Syria, or were taken out of context from something else, and claimed to be a plane shot down over Syria.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Posting all the parts of articles I didn't post as somehow attacking either the credibility of the source or me is one way of steering conversation. I didn't post those parts because I didn't agree with those parts, just the parts I did.
I notice you didn't address my actual post at all.

That the Rebels have overrun bases and captured weapons which they now are employing in a fresh spurt of new activity, including downing aircraft is not challenged...

despite what you think children are doing in YouTubes.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I take downed aircraft claims with a big grain of salt when it comes to the FSA.

You brought the video...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thats obviously a missile strike from the ground, in the engine compartment from the 27th in Syria. I just researched further and found that base 46 had been overrun, a bunch of weapons captured and now fresh reports of increased fighting in the region including what do you know, downed aircraft.

Stay tuned.

I'll taker my salts from the web film footage and analysis and not (ahem) Facebook and twitter...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

To date The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, have not been reliable and from the article i pretty much laughed how they are defending the Jihadists by claiming that the fighters who supposedly brought the jet down were just simple villagers.

Can you please explain to me which "Jihadists" you are referring to?

As far as I can tell, everyone's a jihadist in this game.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

And another look. This one implicates Qatar as a source for some of the missiles being employed in Syria:

www.washingtonpost.com...

Now the question is, who is using the missiles?

Qatar is Hamas' new headquarters.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I didn't say that I don't believe all of their claims. I said that I take them with a big grain of salt. That means that I take each video and try to do my own analysis on it, or find a site that I trust that has before I trust them.

Here are a couple of them that highlight my point.

theaviationist.com...
theaviationist.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Uhhh... thanks for the links? A bit old about other videos...

Did you see the one I brought up the page? Little more current...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Oh I know they're older, but I don't really have time right now to dig out the newer ones, because it takes some hunting, and we have to pick up our load soon.

The SA-16, and the SA-24 are basically the same weapon. The -24 is the most recent version, which increases the range to 20,000 feet, and increases the target speed to 890mph. A nasty missile to have laying around, if they have all of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That the Rebels have overrun bases and captured weapons which they now are employing in a fresh spurt of new activity, including downing aircraft is not challenged...

Which is exactly what they claimed this following summer and last year to, they always claim that they overrun bases and captured weapons. Then to go an location and shot down an aircraft, film about it brag about it to the mainstream news outlets and our western mainstream news outlets then which Killary thinks its an actually turning point.

Thats what they said about Homs and Aleppo during the summer, but in reality the majority of the people there support Assad and not the armed groups.

There was an activist during this past summer who stated, the majority of the YouTube videos showing them that they are gaining is simply for propaganda and sometimes moral boost.

Remember this?

edit on 30-11-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Penny has a new post up:

pennyforyourthoughts2.blogspot.com...
Nov 30, 2012
"Syria Offline: Who benefits? Friends of Muslim Brotherhood meet in Japan"

One of the things she theorizes is that, as well as the usual 'popular support' and 'making gains' memes, could it be that just as they are about to receive a big shipment of arms, from ppl claiming not to be arming them, they put out these stories of having 'taken' bases?

(***eta: I thought it was her, but maybe it was someone else who said that? Might even be in this thread? lol, I know I read it recently...)

Anyway, a likely possibility I think.

edit on 30-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comment/correction

eta: AHA! lol, I found it, it was this piece here:

"Big Trouble Brewing in Syria? Obama Meets to Discuss More Action and the Lights Go Out the Next Day"
willyloman.wordpress.com...

5. The other day there was an AP story that surfaced about Syrian mercenary terrorists capturing army bases and taking their heavy weaponry. I found that extremely hard to believe and then I realized that it might be a narrative designed to explain how suddenly the FSA terrorists supported by the Obama Administration start using mechanized weapons. Now, it makes perfect sense.
“Syria — Syrian rebels have taken over a large military base in the country’s north, carting off tanks, armored vehicles and truck-loads of munitions their leaders say will give them a boost in their fight to topple President Bashar Assad.” Associated Press

edit on 30-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comment

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

There was an activist during this past summer who stated, the majority of the YouTube videos showing them that they are gaining is simply for propaganda and sometimes moral boost.

Well yah, so whats your point? That all the footage of stuff happening in Syria is faked? Just the stuff others bring? You don't seem to mind all the twitter.

You keep presenting me with old data, sorry not sure of your position. That you have latched onto me to discredit what I say I found on the internet is faked? Gee, maybe I should go to Syria and ask them if it's real enough. Maybe you should too?

Nah, that would be to hard. Tell you what. I'll just bring stuff and you can call it all crap.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yup, you guys, and everyone, please continue bringing stuff and we'll go through it and discuss it.

And you know, the propaganda is part of the record as well.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join