It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria - Update and Information thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
twitter:

1m Aslan Media ‏@ASLANmedia
#SYRIA Opposition bombing kills key ruling party official & 3 bodyguards ow.ly... #Assad #Damascus
Followed by Iyad El-Baghdadi and 1 other

15m ashley ‏@Way2Wonderland
#Syria: The “Liberated Zone” of #Aleppo: Religious Dictatorship Supported by #France http://(link tracking not allowed)/UtFNAr #FSA

16m USAID/OFDA ‏@theOFDA
Spread the word to people in #Syria: You can tweet by using www.twitter.com... #syriablackout

Article from 2nd tweet, haven't read yet:

Syria: The “Liberated Zone” of Aleppo: Religious Dictatorship Supported by France
By Thierry Meyssan
Global Research, November 29, 2012
www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Those look like SA-7 Grail launchers (Russian designation is the 9K32 Strela-2) in the first video. It's about the equivalent of the FIM-43 Redeye that the US deployed. They're good against helicopters, but when it comes to jets they can only be fired from the rear hemisphere, so they have to try to catch up to them, which usually doesn't work so well.

The one that he's holding in the second video seems to be an SA-16 Gimlet. It's much more advanced than the SA-7, and has a two color seeker, that allows it to home on airframe heat. It's an improved version of the SA-18 Grouse, using a cone on the nose, instead of an aerodynamic spike that the SA-18 uses. The SA-16 has successfully downed a Tornado, an AC-130, and an F-16 in Iraq (all during Desert Storm).

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thank you Zaphod. So if these are in FSA hands and they are Soviet, then they are probably captured from the Syrian government then? I see trigger mechanisms and batteries in the shots. Those look ready to go. Would explain the sudden upsurge in aircraft shoot downs of late.

That reminds me of Afghanistan when the Stingers arrived. Air superiority disappeared almost overnight.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

As long as you don't accuse me of being on the side of FSA... then its all good.

And youuu...?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

They could come from just about anywhere. Soviet weapons are the most common floating around the world, as they're usually pretty cheap, and reliable.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That reminds me of Afghanistan when the Stingers arrived. Air superiority disappeared almost overnight.

Libya was different which we cant compare Syria to Libya, nor is Syria going to be another Libya, nor another Afghanistan.

I have been noticing this line of argument for several months now.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Well yah, on everywhere. Except when it comes to hand held plane killers. In Libya for instance a lot of the Man Pad tubes were lying around... missing their trigger groups. That makes the weapon impossible to fire as they are issued separately. Thats why Nato planes weren't shot down over Libya (much).

The company who admitted selling the truck mounted SA-24 Grinch to both Libya and Syria stated the weapons required separate trigger mechanisms for use as MANPADS, and these were not supplied to Libya.

archive.feedblitz.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

No, but these look like they were just shipped. The shipping containers still have their labels on them. That tells me that the ones in the first video at least were probably just received, or were stolen from somewhere they just came in to. If they were bought, then they'd have the trigger grips, etc with them.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Libya was different which we cant compare Syria to Libya, nor is Syria going to be another Libya, nor another Afghanistan.

I have been noticing this line of argument for several months now.

You watch. As soon as Stingers started downing numbers of Soviet jets and Hinds in Afghanistan, that was the turning point. I have been waiting for them to debut in Syria. In that regard there will be no difference. Not that they shoot down lots of planes, its that the pilots will refuse to fly where they are operating. That changes everything.

There is increased ground fighting right now? Because FSA has less to fear from Syrian aircraft. They have an umbrella.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

You mean these trigger groups? I took a couple of snapshots...

The video has the FSA logo in the upper left corner...
They indeed look fresh, from where, IDK. They have been overrunning bases lately. The weapons cache overall in the video looks to be squad support with AKs and light machine guns, just the kind of support you would want for an operational missile crew. This video shows up a week ago and since then they are downing aircraft?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Off Topic, but:

Palestinian UN bid:

WOW! UN bid passes!

Votes for: 138

against: 9

abstention: 41

* I think those are the correct #'s

eta: Here is the breakdown:

Also, saw this on twitter, something to the effect that military types snicker at the name MAN-PADS and call them MAN-PONS ? lol. Sounded funny anyway

edit on 29-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add photo

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
twitter and fb:

syria news ·
24 minutes ago ·
Damascus: rumors about the fall of the Damascus airport or even the arrival of militants into its surroundings is nonsense and baseless , I telling you this from Damascus. Hosein Mortada

47m syria news @ Syrianews1
# Syria # of RealSyria Syria, a way to get back onto the internet via Phonelines / modem Dial up access # Syria : ... http:// Fb.me/2myWs7sQ2

JOIN U.S. ░ ▒ ▓ █ █ █ █ █ @ Join____Us
# Groups SyriaBlackOut Our dialup lines may work Be careful, they r easily Wiretapped | http:// Dialup.telecomix.org ~ @ Telecomix # syria # Opsyria # anonymous

Local Coordination Committees in Syria
Damascus: Latest News confirmed regarding clashes that took place today on the Damascus International Airport that the rebels bombed a military barracks for regime forces charged with protecting the airport near Harran columns, and clashed strong dominated the rebels at a distance from the airport road between the second bridge and the bridge fourth, while Realised achieved rebels injuries in the forces of order in the airport scorpion, and spin now clashes in the vicinity of the western runway of the airport Damascus
***I've heard that a group with a similar name, may be this one, I just remember 'local' and 'committee'; is actually based in Lebanon and is as credible as the SOHR, which is to say NOT credible; again not sure if this is them***

# OpSyria : Beginning at 9:00 PM ET # Anonymous will begin removing all web assets belonging to the # Assad regime NOT hosted in # Syria

Anonymous @ AnonymousZC
Anonymous Operation Syria | Syria Care Package v 2.0 - http:// Bit.ly/Wxx0ev | # OpSyria # Syria # SyriaRevolution # Anonymous # Freedom

eta:

StateDeptPRM ‏@StatePRM
RT @theOFDA : Spread the word to people in #Syria: You can tweet by using www.twitter.com... #syriablackout

13m Rawda ‏@RawdaEg
#Twitter users attempt to help Syrians get back online amid Internet blackout huff.to... #Syria #SyriaBlackout

edit on 29-11-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: add comments

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
An article from yesterday:

US Considers Directly Arming Syrian Rebels - Post-Election, Obama More Willing to Intervene By Jason Ditz
Global Research, November 29, 2012
Antiwar.com 28 November 2012

www.globalresearch.ca...

That’s the message from US officials tonight, who say the president is now considering several options for deeper intervention into the ever worsening civil war, including the possibility of directly arming certain rebel factions.

Up until now the US has just been playing the role of facilitator, with the CIA smuggling other nations’ arms into Syria for them throughvarious intermediaries. Officials say no decision has been made yet on whether or not to move directly into arms supplying.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Its an Jihadist FSA Group.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by intrptr

Its an Jihadist FSA Group.

And they will be defeated.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Article from PressTV:

'Syrian military retakes airport road'

edition.presstv.ir...

Syria says it has secured the road
leading to Damascus International
Airport, hours after heavy clashes
between militants and government
forces in the area led to the closure of
the road.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Whoa!!! Unverified, but keep an eye out for more on this:

twitter:

ashley
@ Way2Wonderland 6m
”Large numbers of armed
militants fighting with the so-
called " #FSA ", have laid down
their weapons, & surrendered
in #Damascus #Syria ”
Retweeted by syrian_media

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Glad they clarified this:

twitter:

Anonymous
@ YourAnonNews 7m
Anonymous is attacking Assad
due to the internet outage.
Anonymous is not attacking
Assad in support of the Free
Syrian Army. #OpSyria

(in regard to statements the made about attacking Assad and/or govt websites etc)

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
A bit more info; as far as I know, no verification from other sources yet.

fb:

Syria 24 English ·
about an hour ago ·
JABHAT AL-NASRAH MILITANTS LAY
DOWN ARMS AND SURRENDER !! ..
PRESS NEWS #DAMASCUS: - Large
numbers of Armed Militants from the
"Jabhat Al-Nasrah" (victory front)
Terrorist Brigade fighting with the so-
called "fsa", have laid down their We
apons, and Surrendered to the Syrian
Army in Damascus, following a large