Originally posted by daaskapital
Preppers deserve to be classed as potential terrorists
Preppers deserve to be classed as terrorists. Here is why:
1) A huge proportion of preppers are mentally challenged individuals, who think the world is going to end.
2) A huge proportion of preppers maintain an (obvious) survival mentality, which is dangerous when combined with the above.
3) A huge proportion of preppers own a stockpile of weapons of both minor and major variants.
4) A huge proportion of preppers have training in all sorts of things, ranging from weapons handling to survival.
5) A huge proportion of preppers own a lot of resources, allowing them to hold off for months on end.
Combined together, the preppers can be seen to be paranoid and/or mentally challenged individuals with combat/survival training. Furthermore, most of these preppers have a large stockpile of supplies, allowing them to operate (in whatever way they choose) months at a time.
This is why they deserve to be classed as terrorists.
Your assessment of a typical "doomsday prepper" doesn't sound at all like the definition of a terrorist.
ter·ror·ist [ter-er-ist] noun
1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.
3. (formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
4. an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.
It sounds more like the activities of a responsible person relying on themselves instead of relying on someone else to sustain them in times of disasters.
Prepper (noun): An individual or group that prepares or makes preparations in advance of, or prior to, any change in normal circumstances or lifestyle without significant reliance on other persons (i.e., being self-reliant), or without substantial assistance from outside resources (govt., etc.) in order to minimize the effects of that change on their current lifestyle.
I also think YOUR opinion of a prepper being "mentally challenged" is way off and shows your ignorance. Even the U.S. gov. recommends some sort of disaster preparation to some extent. And don't forget... Governments are the BIGGEST "doomsday preppers" of all with their stockpiles of underground bunkers, food, medicine, weapons, etc.
edit on 11/19/12 by Evildead because: (no reason given)