It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm

Originally posted by Thepump

I pay property tax too, so why the hell are you driving on the road that I paid for?

PS your post didn't make too much sense

It's clearly obvious you do not pay property tax.

Your parents might, but you certainly do not.

I own four homes

and a music studio pops

you admit to paying nothing -

So why are you here?

edit on 15-11-2012 by Thepump because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Let me put this another way, briefly:

The late Sam Walton is the guy who started and build Wal-Mart.

Wal Mart, as we know, is one of the biggest companies out there. Huge.

Where would wal-mart or Sam Walton have ended up without the labor of MILLIONS of other people?

I'll tell you where -- a small mom and pop store with only Walton and maybe one or two other employees. And that's all it EVER would have been.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
*** LAST CHANCE ***

The discussion is not who pays taxes or owns what....

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

edit on 15-11-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by elouina

I am a business owner...and I will tell you what I wouldn't do...encourage half my customers to vote with thier feet and eat somewhere else.

Serously....This story is just soaked in irony...(A) He claims to be thinking about costs by alienating his employees and customers (B) What he champions...Darwinism and Free Markets are precisely what are going to punish him for his stupidty (Darwinism) and loss of customers and employees (free markets).

To be honest ALL business owners need to get together and point out to the under educated exactly what the repercussions will be for their supposed "free ride". Like I said, there are no "pennies from heaven". Everything will get passed on to the consumer. Rich or poor alike.

edit on 15-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm

Aww are you mad?

Next we is to implement universal healthcare, then your senility will kick in (again)
and you will forget who paid for what.

Hope your taxes are going up honey!

Awwww, the child is getting lippy. One day when you grow up, your testes will drop, and your parents kick you out of the basement, you will have to get a job. Once you get a job and actually have to support yourself instead of being the parasite you are now, you will realize that you must actually take care of yourself. That means the following:

-Mommy wont be picking out your outfits every day
-When dad pulls the minivan up to your job and you get out, you will be expected to be at work on time
- When you see your check, you will see deductions...money that you earned that is given to others, and you have no say so in the matter

As I said in my previous post, my job gives me the luxury of not paying a dime in income taxes. We are expected to declare 100% of our tips. I can simply declare nothing, claim business was slow, and not pay a dime other than the standard social security and medical deductions out of my check. That way I wont be forced to support parasites like you through unconstitutional programs.

It's sounding better and better already

edit on 15-11-2012 by TheAngryFarm because: (no reason given)

As I said in my previous post, my job gives me the luxury of not paying a dime in income taxes. We are expected to declare 100% of our tips. I can simply declare nothing, claim business was slow, and not pay a dime other than the standard social security and medical deductions out of my check. That way I wont be forced to support parasites like you through unconstitutional programs.

You don't pay a dime of income tax ? How much federal money goes your state for homeland security, transportation, ect? What about the military and federal parks? And you have the nerve to call someone else a parasite? This is a classic example of what's wrong with this picture. Loopholes exist for the greedy to dodge taxes.While those with low/modest incomes absorb the cost. Many businesses will write of the ACA due to tax credits. Nevertheless they will still under pay and lay off employees in the name of profit loss.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by Thepump

Er um.... That same exact company in my last posts offers "non profit" health insurance also. Blue Cross and Blue shield are also non profit. Now you were saying?

Oh yes, I forgot, 1 example makes it true in every case!

I was saying that private insurance went up 150% last decade, but you ignored it cause it
is easy to do

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by elouina

I am a business owner...and I will tell you what I wouldn't do...encourage half my customers to vote with thier feet and eat somewhere else.

Serously....This story is just soaked in irony...(A) He claims to be thinking about costs by alienating his employees and customers (B) What he champions...Darwinism and Free Markets are precisely what are going to punish him for his stupidty (Darwinism) and loss of customers and employees (free markets).

To be honest ALL business owners need to get together and point out to the under educated exactly what the repercussions will be for their supposed "free ride". Like I said, there are no "pennies from heaven". Everything will get passed on to the consumer. Rich or poor alike.

Under Educated?

Medicare operates at under 10%

Private insurance can reach up to 25%

All they do is take peoples money, they do NOTHING for anybody but take money.

Tell me, can you get an ear infection resolved without seeing your insurance broker?

Tell me what they do for you?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I recently accepted a promotion in management at a restaurant I won't name but, knowing beforehand about the ACA and it's possible side effects on regular crew members, was a defining reason I accepted the promotion, and this was about a month ago.

Today the GM told us that beginning next month the crew will be cut down to five people in the morning from the seven we are currently at, and also mentioned the cut back in work hours including no overtime.

The screws are tightening...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What a loser. Health care reform was absolutely essential, and getting everyone onto the system, a prerequisit. The backlash against it, even by calling it "Obamacare" has, from what I can tell been completely irrational and this story just underscores that.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Thepump

Er um.... That same exact company in my last posts offers "non profit" health insurance also. Blue Cross and Blue shield are also non profit. Now you were saying?

I was saying that private insurance went up 150% last decade, but you ignored it cause it
is easy to do

No we are talking MANY insurance companies are non profit. Lets just forget about this and move on to something more important. Since you need to hear a few things that you fail to understand.

Hospitals provide health insurance and benefits for their employees. It comes out to nearly 40% of their base pay rate. So if someone makes $20 per hour, the hospital is paying $28 per hour. Paying those benefits contributes to your massive medical bills. So you can expect your restaurant bill or any other bill you get to go up just like medical costs. Surprise!

*****This below paragraph is the most important impact of Obamacare, read it and weep! *******

Also, inflation will take a dramatic hit on everything imaginable to accommodate medical costs. You got it, inflation for every day items and services WILL NOW BE DRIVEN BY MEDICAL COSTS. And the next thing you know, everything is beyond reach of the poor. The implications of this are astounding!

Do you know another HUGE factor in medical costs? Supplies! 20 years ago, a 2 inch piece of glass tubing for a machine cost $2400.

So to sum it up, our entire economy is going to be driven by hefty medical costs. While previously just medical alone was affected. And the US economy will be going down a huge sucking drain.

This is not a war between haves and have nots, this is our economy being destroyed!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Thepump

is easy to do

No we are talking MANY insurance companies are non profit. Lets just forget about this and move on to something more important. Since you need to hear a few things that you fail to understand.

Hospitals provide health insurance and benefits for their employees. It comes out to nearly 40% of their base pay rate. So if someone makes $20 per hour, the hospital is paying $28 per hour. Paying those benefits contributes to your massive medical bills. So you can expect your restaurant bill or any other bill you get to go up just like medical costs. Surprise!

Also, inflation will take a dramatic hit on everything imaginable to accommodate medical costs. You got it, inflation for every day items and services WILL NOW BE DRIVEN BY MEDICAL COSTS. And the next thing you know, everything is beyond reach of the poor. The implications of this are astounding!

Do you know another HUGE factor in medical costs? Supplies! 20 years ago, a 2 inch piece of glass tubing for a machine cost $2400.

So to sum it up, our entire economy is going to be driven by hefty medical costs. And not just medical alone like in the past. And the US economy will be going down a huge sucking drain.

This is not a war between haves and have nots, this is our economy being destroyed!

Why not make a system where everyone is covered?

Do you know how much is wasted on implementing private systems, Graphic design, IT, lawyers fees, marketing,real estate, insurance, actuaries and a whole slew of things that are redundant within
each insurance company?

The cost is built into the companies that disburse payment.

There are millions of things to make money on in the world, why not set aside this one thing
that in some Christian circles is considered to be merciful and eliminate profit motive?

IS there not and endless supply of things to profit on?

do we really need middle men in this single consideration of society?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Thepump

is easy to do

*****This below paragraph is the most important impact of Obamacare, read it and weep! *******

So to sum it up, our entire economy is going to be driven by hefty medical costs. And not just medical alone like in the past. And the US economy will be going down a huge sucking drain.

Medical related costs have been built into things for decades.

As it is costs went up 150% the decade BEFORE Obama care, you act as if this
inflationary model is new.

edit on 15-11-2012 by Thepump because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
One way or another, Obamacare has to be paid for. No one is going to "absorb it." Now you can be up front about it, as this guy is to make a point, or you can just subtly raise the prices, which is what everyone else is going to do. Obamacare is a direct hit on the overall economy that will be felt.

You may as well prepare for a deeper recession--brought to you by your own government.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

You just don't get it do you? Did you even read what I typed? The entire US economy will now depend upon health costs. All inflation for everything you buy will be driven by health care costs. That candy bar you enjoy now, will be out of reach for the poor just like a trip to the Bahamas. Business such as restaurants will be closing and those left will be there just to service the "haves". More jobs will be lost.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

reply to post by FreebirdGirl

And have you priced heath insurance lately? 24 years ago, I was paying $500 a month for a family of 3. Now, many folks pay this amount as just a SMALL SHARE of the expense.

The average annual premiums in 2012 are $5,615 for single coverage and $15,745 for family coverage.

Kaiser Family

Multiply the anticipated average dollar amount per employee by the number of employees for each restaurant. I figured out the dollar amount to be the lower number times 2 (husband and wife coverage at $11.239 per year) Now on a busy shift, I see at least 8 employees. So this would be perhaps 24 employees then? So take my guestimated average rate and multiply by 24 and you get $269,520 per year. (With the potential to be as high as $377,880 per year.) Divide this by 366 days, and you get $736 per day. So at 5% the restaurant would have to take in $14,747 per day to cover expenses. With an ave check amount of $10 they would have to have 1475 customers a day to cover this Most family style restaurants would be doing a happy dance to have this much business.

This brings up another point. If you were a business owner, would you hire a family man/woman vs. a single? This Obamacare is going to wreck havoc all around in ways folks haven't even thought of yet.

So if your operating costs is 500,000 a month you have 10 employees all paying premiums for a family of two you are saying that your insurance premiums are 50,000 a month? That is 10% of operating costs. With the numbers you provided healthcare premiums would actually cost the employer around 5-6% before deductions for tax credits:

Employers who hire unemployed workers this year (after Feb. 3, 2010 and before Jan. 1, 2011) may qualify for a 6.2-percent payroll tax incentive, in effect exempting them from their share of Social Security taxes on wages paid to these workers after March 18, 2010. This reduced tax withholding will have no effect on the employee’s future Social Security benefits, and employers would still need to withhold the employee’s 6.2-percent share of Social Security taxes, as well as income taxes. The employer and employee’s shares of Medicare taxes would also still apply to these wages.

In addition, for each worker retained for at least a year, businesses may claim an additional general business tax credit, up to $1,000 per worker, when they file their 2011 income tax returns.
www.irs.gov...

Considering most restuarant employees are part time or wages are low employers are allowed to offset the federal taxes they pay.

Employers are required to pay both state unemployment payroll taxes (SUTA) and federal unemployment payroll taxes (FUTA). The percentage of the SUTA tax varies from state to state. However, it is always a simple percentage of the employee's pay up to a yearly earnings limit. It's important to calculate SUTA taxes in conjunction with the FUTA tax. Doing so will allow you to get a credit that reduces the FUTA tax based on how much SUTA tax you pay
www.ehow.com...

After all deductions an employer might pay 2-3 % of operating costs for healthcare premiums if any.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
RIDICULOUS!

If I, or my daughter, worked at Denny's and this was passed off I'd immediately quit but not before speaking my mind.

Epitome of greed. The man owns 20 GODDAMN restaurants.

EVERYONE is going to have to chip in to make this a reality. I pay 30% of my gross pay to taxes, about 800$ every 2 weeks, but I don't complain. My brother just had massive brain surgery in Eastern Canada (free, btw) which would have cost 380k in the U.S, so I don't mind paying my cut.

The truth is, when people quit there is always someone ready and waiting to take that job.

I do know that many businesses do not insure their workers because they can't afford to, if they do they will have to have less staff, and work short handed and everyone will be overworked .

We in the USA pay a lot of tax and all we see for it is 16 trillion debt.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

You don't pay a dime of income tax ? How much federal money goes your state for homeland security, transportation, ect? What about the military and federal parks? And you have the nerve to call someone else a parasite? This is a classic example of what's wrong with this picture. Loopholes exist for the greedy to dodge taxes.While those with low/modest incomes absorb the cost. Many businesses will write of the ACA due to tax credits. Nevertheless they will still under pay and lay off employees in the name of profit loss.

Read my previous posts. I said I could declare nothing and not pay a dime if I so choose, but I did not say that is what I am currently doing. I am a bartender/bar manager, it's very easy for me to pay exactly zero dollars and zero cents if I decided to do just that. Since I am a manager, I feel the need to lead by example and declare everything and pay the taxes. I know full well most of my employees do not, and it's looking like that is the way I will go too. It depends what happens January 1st with the tax hikes coming up.

In regards to those who avoid paying taxes being greedy, did you ever happen to think they decided to just say no, and stop sending their hard earned money to a bunch of jackasses who spend it recklessly or redistribute it to others?

The only greedy ones are those who pay nothing and demand others pay more.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

A simple yes or no to the following question will be sufficient. Honesty counts.

Have you ever read the United States Constitution?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Thepump

You just don't get it do you? Did you even read what I typed? The entire US economy will now depend upon health costs. All inflation for everything you buy will be driven by health care costs. That candy bar you enjoy now, will be out of reach for the poor just like a trip to the Bahamas. Business such as restaurants will be closing and those left will be there just to service the "haves". Eating at a retsurant will only be for the rich. Etc...

You have no proof of that people will be priced out of the "candy market"

"Papa Johns" (the pizza chain) recently said Obamacare could add $.25 to the cost of each pie.

$.25

TWENTY FIVE CENTS

Are you telling me a Quarter is going to price people out of a pizza?

Your post does nothing to examine the cost that 30-40 million Uninsured people in society.

Do you think a $150 doctor visit for bronchitis is more expensive than a $10,000 case of viral pneumonia
in the ER?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

To be honest ALL business owners need to get together and point out to the under educated exactly what the repercussions will be for their supposed "free ride".

"under educated" ??...You do realize that education level was one of the strongest indicators that a voter was going to vote for Obama...Obamacare and all?

If by education you mean women who are raped not getting pregnant, Paul Revere warning the British, the founding fathers freeing the slaves, science being lies from the pit of hell etc... Then, yes, you might have a case.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join