It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant Owner to Imposes Surcharge For Obamacare

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I am a business owner...and I will tell you what I wouldn't do...encourage half my customers to vote with thier feet and eat somewhere else.

Serously....This story is just soaked in irony...(A) He claims to be thinking about costs by alienating his employees and customers (B) What he champions...Darwinism and Free Markets are precisely what are going to punish him for his stupidty (Darwinism) and loss of customers and employees (free markets).

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Maybe you should visit this thread of mine.... Wealthy Non Profits Contribute To US Economic Woes This non profit hospital/medical center hasn't done anything except grow larger. And their prices keep going up. So what was your point again?

edit on 15-11-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Thepump

Next we is to implement universal healthcare, then your senility will kick in (again) and you will forget who paid for what, just like you stopped keeping track of who paid for the pavement on your street.

The federal government did not "pave my street".

neither did you...

I guess god paid for it???

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by Thepump

Maybe you should visit this thread of mine.... Wealthy Non Profits Contribute To US Economic Woes This non profit hasn't done anything except grow larger. And their prices keep going up. So what was your point again?

Well health insurance went up 150% in the last ten years, 130% the ten years before that...

link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate

Originally posted by iwilliam
It is true that lots of businesses pull crap like this in response to stuff like tax hikes or obamacare-- but maybe these scumbags have gotten enough of a "free ride" of the sweat of the backs of their employees. See? The tables can spin on that one, too.....

Maybe a wobbly and backward spin. "Scumbags with a free ride"? That's pretty funny. Where would these people work without the 'scumbags' willing to take a risk to start a business. Here's a newsflash: Contrary to leftist logic, businesses aren't started to benefit the employees. You make the owner assume all the risk and eliminate the profit, what do you think happens?

Yes, businesses pass their costs along, building the cost of delivery into the pricing structure. That's how they turn this thing called profit. I know, profits are evil and all.

I said it that way to "spin the tables" and present it in a manner which would make people think.

I have heard countless times people talk about how the "lower" classes want a free ride, etc. I've heard that term used in reference to not only obamacare, specifically, but lots of other things.

I have heard people say just what you've said, many times. In fact, it is USUALLY presented from that perspective -- that of the wealthy person: "Yeah, well if it weren't for these big businesses, people would have no jobs, nowhere to work, and therefore no money."

I worded things the way I did to illustrate that this is true the other way as well. Were it not for many employees working hard, what would that business owner have to show for himself? Nothing, might be one answer. About as much as the workers, might be another. What, is the business owner going to clone themselves, and work as a few cooks in the kitchen, multiple waitstaff, a dishwasher or two, bus people? NO... of course not. One person could only perform a FRACTION of that work, even working double capacity, 24/7.

The FACT is that business owners need their employees just as much as the employees need the owners. One of the biggest differences here, however, is that the ONE owner, or those few guys at the top of big corporations, are profiting from the many hundreds of man-hours of the people below them, without whom, they would have only their own LABOR to rely on. Whereas the workers can only profit from their own labor. This means that for the same number of work hours, that guy at the top makes A LOT more money than anyone at the bottom, sometimes even for equal hours worked. And then often, those guys at the top complain when the government steps in, in any capacity, to make things a little more fair for those who are economically disadvantaged. Better stated: when the government steps in to protect those who the business owner is taking advantage of.

I'm tired of people trying to make it sound like these owners are the most important thing in the economy, and deserve so much more than the legion of employees, without whom they would have nothing.

It is not that the owners are more important. I personally think the employees deserve this title as a business is BUILT, literally, by their constant daily labor. However, the ultimate fact remains that ONE can not exist without THE OTHER.

I guess I will never understand why those few at the top think they're so much more deserving than the many hands which helped lift them to their positions.
edit on 15-11-2012 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Then this guy is in the restaurant business which means food:

Which there was a drought, then there was the care act, then there is all the talk of new taxes being levied.

Grain prices have soard the past few years, so has fuel which makes everything more expensive at the same time the continued devaluation of the dollar.

Which means the dollar buys less than it does each and every day.

At the same time as these prices increase wages for the employee are stagnant. Yet the business owner does not have to incur discomfort anywhere. . He can take home a bigger bonus and pass these costs along to the government or employees. So in your ideology if you own a business you do not have to compromise or sacrifice but everyone else should?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It appears most his restaurants are franchised.

I am almost positive this surcharge will not appear in any of the franchised restaurants.

Has anybody considered that the franchises will probably squash this idea in the respective restaurants?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Yeah did considering I pay property taxes

Want to try again?

Love the total ignore of the rest of that post.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

That business owner made his own descision doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

It's his business. no one elses, and it sure the hell is not a democracy
edit on 15-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Thepump

Want to try again?

I pay property tax too, so why the hell are you driving on the road that I paid for?

PS your post didn't make too much sense

link   

reply to post by Thepump

Want to try again?

I pay property tax too, so why the hell are you driving on the road that I paid for?

link   

Originally posted by TheAngryFarm

Originally posted by The X

And corporations will show the true colours by doing this, they will not allow profits to take a hit from this if they can make you pay for it, price fixing on a national level like has never been seen before is about to happen.

What true colors? Corporations have one single obligation and that is to their shareholders. They arent in business to make less profit in order for the government to enrich themselves, or to make their employees lives better.

If they did allow profits to take a hit without doing anything and everything they could to prevent it from happening, they would be negligent in their fiduciary duty to the stockholders.

As was said before, people do not go into business, put their capital and finances at risk, just so they can contribute more to society or to make people feel good. People go into business for one reason and one reason only: to make money.

That reason is 100% correct, and government does nothing but make the cost to the end consumer go up.

I agree with you business is meant to make money, as for fiduciary duty, it is always far easier to indulge with indifference and neglect any kind of social responsibility, than it is to try and adjust in a fair reasoned and well ajudged manner to legislation that MAY affect profit margins.

Of course the government will try and sweeten the transition by giving tax breaks to business owners, as we all know, once prices are shifted, they rarely if ever, recover the original position, if the reason for them going up is corrected, prices hardly ever follow.

No doubt right now there are masses of business owners who have for a very long time managed to keep poorly paid workers within the companies on short hours denying them rights of full time employees with all the benefits that entails.
They are looking down the throat of a set of circumstances, that until now, a hard heart, a lack of interest, lack of care, and intentioned indifference to them as a person, had managed to maintain.
My heart bleeds for them.
I hope any of them that attempts to pass this onto customers with price gouging find overall their profits affected by inordinate amounts when people stop using their goods or services.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with society exercising a strong social conscience, in fact, if this was exercised in all ways, nobody would be on a low wage, everyone would have medical cover anyway.
These are the most essential human rights in this very broken society,companies take the most precious aspect of someones life, and pays as little as it can for it, not what it is worth, what they can get away with.
Unfortunately people are stupid enough to accept it.

I am very glad the US is stepping into the 21st century with regards to providing medical cover as a right to people, the legislation is borne of good intentions, if everyone accepts it with the spirit in which it was intended and waits to see how bad the adjustment is going to be before, slapping punitive charges on employees, and customers, it would be better for everyone.

How many corporations will make the situation much worse by both, taking money off employees, and, passing extra charges along to customers?.
I have no idea, but, i guarantee this is what will happen in some cases, government should legislate before this gets out of hand and stop any kind of price fixing, or, price gouging, or sanctioning of wages, corporations most of all cannot be trusted to treat customers and employees fairly, they should be constrained from knee jerk responses for at least six months whilst determinations are made as to exactly how badly it is really affecting them.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

Stop the attacks and name calling.

You will be Post Banned.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepump

reply to post by Thepump

Want to try again?

neither did you... I guess god paid for it??

So which way is it?
edit on 15-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

Er um.... That same exact company in my last posts offers "non profit" health insurance also. Blue Cross and Blue shield are also non profit. Now you were saying?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepump

It's clearly obvious you do not pay property tax.

Your parents might, but you certainly do not.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join