It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wins - Layoffs Starting

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Mr buffet owns the rail line by the keystone pipe line. Without the pipe line the oil now has to be shipped by rail cars. Nice to have friends in high places to close pipe lines so they have to be shipped on your rail cars. Makes you go hummmm

Oh please... At least one other railroad parallels in almost all places. Especially the UP. There are very few captive markets left, and competitors can force access to any that are still there through the anti-monopoly laws.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Originally posted by PLASIFISK

How is Obama making businesses lay off it's employees? Where is the connection?

Ummm. Higher taxes. Higher costs with a diving dollar. Obamacare makes having employees a liability. Anyone who wants their business to survive will have to layoff employees.

Its called overhead. And uncontrollable costs mean that employers have to make up for it with controllable ones. If they can survive without an employee, they have no choice but to fire that employee.
All that happens is that more poor people are created.

Get ready for a really rough four years and more. Hope all those "social issue" voters are happy being socially conscious in the bread line.

Sorry this has nothing to do with social issues. Corporations are making a profit. The poor people are being created by corporate greed. You should stop spreading disinformation. You appear to know something about business. Google corporate profits for 2011, rising productivity and stagnant wages. Corporations will receive waivers and tax credits for any extra expense the healthcare act causes them so the healthcare act does not effect the bottom line.This is just another excuse to raise productivity and lower labor costs which increases profits. This is the one time of year where upper management actually has to work. Stockholders want to see more profits each year.

As part of its regular revisions to the national income accounts, the Commerce Department told us Friday that corporate profits in 2008, 2009 and 2010 were actually $343 billion higher than earlier estimated

And personal incomes of American families were $265 billion lower over those three years than previously estimated.

Corporate profits now account for the largest share of gross domestic product since 1950 — 12.6%. Wages and salaries account for the smallest share of GDP since 1955 — 54.9%.

articles.marketwatch.com...

It's not if the company can survive without the employee it's how much workload can the remaining workers maintain while increasing the bottom line.

Productivity has surged, but income and wages have stagnated for most Americans. If the median household income had kept pace with the economy since 1970, it would now be nearly $92,000, not $50,000

www.motherjones.com...

Higher taxes? Which Companies?

In fact, in the last three years, 78 corporations had at least one year where they paid no federal income tax at all, while 30 corporations paid not a dime over the entire three years. Those 30 corporations paid nothing, even though they made $160 billion in profits over that period:
– Seventy-eight of the 280 companies paid zero or less in federal income taxes in at least one year from 2008 to 2010…In the years they paid no income tax, these companies earned $156 billion in pretax U.S. profits. But instead of paying $55 billion in income taxes as the 35 percent corporate tax rate seems to require, these companies generated so many excess tax breaks that they reported negative taxes (often receiving outright tax rebate checks from the U.S. Treasury), totaling $21.8 billion. These companies’ “negative tax rates” mean that they made more after taxes than before taxes in those no-tax years.

– Thirty corporations paid less than nothing in aggregate federal income taxes over the entire 2008-10 period. These companies, whose pretax U.S. profits totaled $160 billion over the three years, included: Pepco Holdings (–57.6% tax rate), General Electric (–45.3%), DuPont (–3.4%), Verizon (–2.9%), Boeing (–1.8%), Wells Fargo (–1.4%) and Honeywell (–0.7%).

thinkprogress.org...

The dollar has been in decline for years. The biggest perpetrator being George Bush.

President George W. Bush aptly managed the decline of the dollar. Apparently oil-fueled trade deficits and abominably expensive and unnecessary wars weren't a good idea.[7] During his term, the dollar dropped a whopping 41% against the Euro.[8] Heckuva job.

rationalwiki.org...

So please explain why businesses are laying off again.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Mr buffet owns the rail line by the keystone pipe line. Without the pipe line the oil now has to be shipped by rail cars. Nice to have friends in high places to close pipe lines so they have to be shipped on your rail cars. Makes you go hummmm

Oh please... At least one other railroad parallels in almost all places. Especially the UP. There are very few captive markets left, and competitors can force access to any that are still there through the anti-monopoly laws.

Truth hurts. A liberals worst enemy, the truth, there 2nd, facts

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say. Is that your response to me stating your argument was nonsense, or just a knee jerk reaction to someone disagreeing with you?

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I see our economy collapsing in the near future with the cause coming from the backers of the republican party trying to get rid of the middle class, especially the upper middle class. These business men don't understand that the whole economy will falter and their products and services won't be needed. The republicans seem to be following this idiotic perception and don't realize they will be targeted for destruction by the rioting people as the economy collapses. Only half the people in this country voted republican and only ten percent of those are crazy enough to believe all the crap coming out of the republicans mouths. I see a complete collapse of the republican party and the big businesses in this country within a year or so if they don't get their act together. A country divided cannot stand. The Republicans have created a dangerous situation with the spreading of fear. I understand that the country needs to cut costs but the Republicans get just as much pork barrel money as the Democrats do. The difference with the Democrats and Republicans is that the Democrats want the government to look after the money they spend while the Republicans want little regulations and all the money to go to businesses. Either way we are still spending the money, we need to quit wasting money on things we do not really need.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
My wife works for a local, nationally known big 12 college. Someone there has a spouse that works for a local truck dealership. They had a fleet order for trucks from an energy company. Today that energy company cancelled their order for the fleet.

Thsi is just the start. 2013 is going to be very rough. Unless you're selling guns and ammo that is.

While most of the stock market slumped today, SWHC (Smith and Wesson Holding Company) went up about 10%.
At least in the short term, security/law enforcement/surveillance equipment firms will do very well too.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
I work for a company that has been on a hiring spree all year, adding 50+ jobs this year alone. Today, I got the call that my staff is being cut by over 75%. I have no idea how we'll be able to deliver our work next year, it just seems impossible.

I've heard some other anecdotal evidence that people are losing their jobs all across the company as businesses allocate what used to be salary to future taxes.

Thanks for the report from the front lines. Keep us apprised.

Of course, this was predictable, along with the stock market losses. Things will get much, much worse.

Obama could care less what happens to us. What a fraudulent bill of goods was sold to the Obama supporters.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjamikec
reply to post by ararisq

scare tactics, if they do layoff people then spread the word for people not to buy their product. if i ever hear someone got layed off from a job i would never support their product ever, and i think most americans would do the same

This is stupidity of all stupidity. Layoffs mean the economy sucks and this POTUS is a Leninist Marxist who doesn't care if people are out of work because he thinks it will lead them to dependency on govt.
edit on 7-11-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuranVector

Originally posted by ararisq
I work for a company that has been on a hiring spree all year, adding 50+ jobs this year alone. Today, I got the call that my staff is being cut by over 75%. I have no idea how we'll be able to deliver our work next year, it just seems impossible.

I've heard some other anecdotal evidence that people are losing their jobs all across the company as businesses allocate what used to be salary to future taxes.

Thanks for the report from the front lines. Keep us apprised.

Of course, this was predictable, along with the stock market losses. Things will get much, much worse.

Obama could care less what happens to us. What a fraudulent bill of goods was sold to the Obama supporters.

It was all for that liberal glow of "tolerance", which we all know is not real tolerance but Big Brother Nanny Statist political correctness.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You still cannot admit Obama is a Marxist who is sacking the economy at breakneck speed. If you can't accept it from the viewpoint he is Marxist anti colonialist non-American poser, accept it because he is CFR and promoting the NWO.

link   

Originally posted by kawika
My company is eliminating the third shift...the whole third shift.

Columbus-based engine manufacturer Cummins plans to reduce its workforce by between 1,000 and 1,500 people by the end of this year. It is not clear yet where the cutbacks will be made.

Chairman and CEO Tom Linebarger refers to uncertainty about the the global economy, prompting customers to delay capital expenditures and lower the demand for Cummins products.

With that, the company is lowering its revenue outlook by a $1 billion to $17 billion. Cummins will also be taking other steps to reduce costs including work week reductions and shutdowns at some of its manufacturing facilities.

Linebarger says these actions will allow Cummins to meet customer needs, maintain strong financial performance and capitalize on future growth opportunities.

Another one...
Source

One company certainly didn't hesitate to wait. ING Corporation announced 350 layoffs just 10 minutes after Mitt Romney gave his concession speech. Of course, some people might say that they did that because no one would have noticed the news because everyone would be watching news about the election. Or, perhaps they did wish to make a statement giving a no-confidence vote to four more years of Barack Obama as president. Either way, they won't be the only corporation shedding jobs, and realizing that there's a good chance we will slip back into recession now.

edit on 7-11-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

You know why Cummins is laying off?

COLUMBUS, IND. – Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) today reported results for the third quarter of 2012.

Third quarter revenue of $4.1 billion decreased 11 percent from the same quarter in 2011. Revenues in North America grew 2 percent while revenues from international markets declined 21 percent.

Demand has dropped sharply over the last three months, reflecting a high degree of uncertainty among customers in most geographic markets,” said Tom Linebarger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We have been responding to the conditions by delaying or cancelling projects, flexing production at some of our manufacturing plants, reducing discretionary expenses, and reducing our workforce by 1000 to 1500 people by the end of this year. We are continuing to fund projects that are important for future growth and meeting commitments to customers. We are working to respond to the conditions now to ensure the long term strength of the company and to best serve the many stakeholders who rely on Cummins long term success.”

www.cummins.com... Summary=Cummins+Reports+Third+Quarter+Results%2C+Confirms+Full+Year+Guidance&strId=%2Ftemplatedata%2FContent%2FCumminsNews%2Fdata%2Fen%2FInvestorsAndM edia%2FPressReleases%2F2012%2FOctober31_2012_Q3_Results_2012&dtPublishDate=2012-10-31+06%3A45%3A00.0

ING, one of Europe’s larger financial conglomerates by assets, said its net profit fell to €609 million ($783 million) from €1.69 billion a year ago. It attributed the decline primarily to “de-risking” — that is, selling assets at a book loss to eliminate the potential for bigger losses later.

CEO Jan Hommen said he was “confident that these efforts, combined with further streamlining, will strengthen our company for the long-term benefit of all stakeholders.”

www.washingtonpost.com... c2930c6e-28af-11e2-aaa5-ac786110c486_story.html

So basically these companies are cutting labor to make up for the gamble they took in other markets besides the U.S. This has nothing to do with Obama or Romney. However both companies made sure they will look out for their shareholders.

link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

I love your very unbiased sources there.
But corporations do what corporations do. Amateur, inexperienced politicians and huge out of control government are, as usual, the culprits and enemy of the middle class.
Whether you, Obama, or other worshippers of abstract, ideological notions like it or not, his policies will drastically eviscerate the middle class and most small businesses.
But you are right in that he has been a great ally to large banking institutions and multinational corporations.
Your "proofs" of greed simply don't add up in the real world. In left-wing "journalism" I'm sure its great stuff, though. But left wing journalism aint gonna pay no one's electricity bill. And once the federal government bankrupts itself, it won't be able to either.
Try and get a taste of the real world.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1PLA1

Originally posted by 1PLA1

Are you really that uninformed?

No repeal of obmamcare; higher energy prices due to more regulation; higher taxes; ect. etc, etc.

The American people have basically handed the country over to destruction.

No chicken little I am not that uninformed. The sky is not falling in my world.

However, clearly your world is.

What you stated are not legitimate reasons to fire employees.

Hey look out! There's a big fluffy cloud coming your way! Duckkkkk!!!

Typical liberal response. When one cannot refute facts, attack or belittle the opponent.

That fluffy white cloud isn't what it appears to be. But I am sure it will be raining on your parade.

Funny, you think your my opponent. I Think your a little full of yourself. I doubt you could keep up with me in real life.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Which planet have you been visiting?

I asked a question? It had nothing to do with the visitation of planets.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I was just about to start a thread about the coming layoffs and the small businesses that will have no choice but to downsize or close shop completely, but your thread speaks volumes because it comes from a real life, first hand experience.
Get ready for a welfare state on steroids.

The people depending on Food Stamps, Welfare & other gov freebies may have a rude awakening.

Guess what? Barry doesn't need your vote anymore.

Putting as many people on Food Stamps as possible was a clever re-election ploy.

Make people dependent on gov handouts, and they will vote for the candidate who promises not to take away the gov teat.

Romney bad. Romney take away Food Stamps. Bobo not vote Romney.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant

Ummm. Higher taxes. Higher costs with a diving dollar. Obamacare makes having employees a liability. Anyone who wants their business to survive will have to layoff employees.

Its called overhead. And uncontrollable costs mean that employers have to make up for it with controllable ones. If they can survive without an employee, they have no choice but to fire that employee.
All that happens is that more poor people are created.

Get ready for a really rough four years and more. Hope all those "social issue" voters are happy being socially conscious in the bread line.

Sounds a little presumptive to me. However if that's how you sell IT. Go with it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Obama can't get anything done in the current state of our government. If Romney would have won, he couldn't have fixed this either. Our whole economy is a big scam, it was based on misguided belief and the deceit was covered up for at least sixteen years. I can't see anyone fixing the mess we have here, we are only being told a small part of the mess we are in financially. You can't build an economy without producing real products that are used by the citizens of that country. Consumer based economies cannot work. We have been living in a big lie for years. Republicans and Democrats can't fix this, they allowed the real economy to be disolved over the years. I have studied the writings of some very good economists.....We're in a very poor place....Building the military and going to war won't work this time, if it could work it would have already worked. War doesn't work to repair the economy if the economy is as corrupted as ours is.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

no offense have you tried to take anything to court before... you trust the law to execute this...

things are just done quietly..

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

either something smells bad, the company was already in a comprimised position relative to cash, or the people in charge know nothing about running a business (you have this balance of price of service, cost of sales, etc, etc, with wages and compensation taking about half your revenue).

If a company is laying you off just because of who got elected, i would be interested to know if i use their services. I would love to boycott such a company.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

If you are referring to forcing access to closed markets, you have to understand that the railroad industry owns many of the judges already. They think going to court is a day in the park. Remember how long they have been at this.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join