It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon President a good idea...........?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
to the OP.
we need unbiased decision making. not something diluted in religion.
just solid, unbiased, smart descision making.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

My parents spoke of this same conversation occurring when Kennedy was running for President. It's strange to think of now, but there was a genuine fear of a Catholic being elected, and the same arguments are in this thread.
I'd like to think we've gone farther than that.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
No worse than having a muslim president.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Does'nt "Mormon" mean "More Money" and Wives for everyone?

Or is it a Jamacian saying...Give me More Mon!!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It is certainly a better idea than the Black Liberation Theologist we have in office now.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Do you think Muslims are Christians? Answer this question and stop deflecting

Muslims think Jesus was just a prophet, that's all.

Mormons think he is their only Lord and savior.

BIG difference.

I know you christians are angry that there are other groups of christians who don't believe exactly the same as you. But sooner or later you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that there are 22,000 denominations of Christianity. Each one of those 22,000 think they have it right and the other 21,999 have it all wrong. Some people, such as yourself even go so far as to claim the others aren't even christians, because only you are the real christian.

If only you knew how ridiculous this all sounds to the rest of us.

I would ask you to at least tolerate their existence, but asking for tolerance from a religious person is akin to bashing your head against a wall.

edit on 5-11-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
For what it's worth: When I was 16, I was sent to an underage residential treatment center. (read: rehab) It was in Utah and was staffed predominantly by mormons. Typically, they would only employ a non-mormon if they were attending Brigham Young University. My interactions with these people led me to believe that I would not want one running my country. My experience was of very closed-minded people with a subconscious need to control anything and everything in their lives and the lives of those around them. Being in Utah, this place got a lot of mormon kids who were at risk of being disowned by their families because they questioned the book of mormon. That wasn't what the kids said was the reason they were there, those were the things discussed in group 'therapy.'

Aside from the philosophical reasoning behind the people running the place, they did everything in their power to ensure the longest 'recovery' times possible so that our parents would continue paying the $5000+ a month to keep us locked up.

I realize my experience is not necessarily indicative of mormons as a whole, but I was delivered many very strong messages about their beliefs and why I should subscribe to them. They are very preachy, if nothing else, and if I don't want the government telling me to buy health insurance, I figure I wouldn't want them telling me which deity to believe in, and based on my past experiences with mormons, I anticipate that it would eventually come to that.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I went on a date with a morman woman once.

once was enough.

I don't mind a Morman president. This isn't a theocracy (yet!!!)..his belief or lack thereof is not of consequence to me. My question is, is he right for the job at hand..aka, the economy, the constitution, the international community, etc...

I would vote for a Morman whom qualfied and with a good vision, or a muslim, or a catholic, or a atheist...so long as their faith (or lack) doesn't influence them to do their job properly.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind
My experience was of very closed-minded people with a subconscious need to control anything and everything in their lives and the lives of those around them. Being in Utah, this place got a lot of mormon kids who were at risk of being disowned by their families because they questioned the book of mormon.

Utah is kind of a selective case IMO.

My ward was in So CA. Many of us thought members (for whatever reason) who came from Utah - - - needed to take a chill pill.

There are Mormons all over the world. They follow the same belief - - - but they aren't like those from Utah.

I think Mormons in Salt Lake City would be like Catholics living at the Vatican. They're a bit more extreme IMO.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A Mormon President is one of the best ideas ever...

and to think it was a Muslim President that made it happen.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

As opposed to electing someone who is clearly a Muslim? Mormon is not a true christian, which america was founded on, but, it's the lesser of the two evils if you know what i am saying. The way to look at this election is this: We are all screwed regardless what happens or who gets elected. When the SHTF soon, none of this will matter. Take care of yourselves, your family, secure your well being, health and focus on moving past the bullspit. In all honesty, anyone can spin it anyway they want, and just like all 50/50 choices in life, theres bias in all opinions and therefore no real resolution. We are plainly screwed. This is the start of the end! With all the things happening all at once, it will be over this year. Something bad is coming with this election, the storm and the stock market. It's all going to hit at the same time and crumble our future. again, secure yourself and family.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Oh *insert favored deity here* That video was hilarious?

Lucifer being Jesus' brother? Space babies? This one comment cracked me up:

TheBob (10 hours ago) There's a couple of mistakes here. It was actually Jor El sent his son Kal El from Krypton. He was raised by Ma and Pa Kent before getting a job on the Daily Planet.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have an honest question.

If Romney does win (I hope not) when they swear him in which bible will they use?

Will they use one where excerpts of Joseph Smith are in it?

If they don’t use the LDS bible then wouldn’t that be akin to him having his fingers crossed?

I am not sure if there is a precedent for which bible should be used. Does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by merlin07

Someone lied to you bro. America was not founded on christianity, or any other religion for that matter...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I have an honest question.

If Romney does win (I hope not) when they swear him in which bible will they use?

Mormons use the KJV bible.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Do you truly believe any President is capable of omitting their personal beliefs from decisions? I am really curious, because I don't.

That said, it's not new news how influential and vocal the Mormons are against LGBT. I would be concerned on this front as I am, as I know you are, pushing for equality. You don't have this concern?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyoutlaw

And Romney's so called values and morals are highly offensive to me and my religion. I deplore his beliefs in regard toward women. I deplore his clear lack of business ethics, his failure to stand by anything he says, his calculated duplicity. And since your values are not superior to mine by any god or government, using your values as a moral compass for an entire country simply is not acceptable.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
So I guess cutting people's heads off that are Jews, Christians or Americans is ok, oppressing woman and denying them basic human rights, turning children into suicide bombers. Why not. Whacks. Ok, by now.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Annee

Do you truly believe any President is capable of omitting their personal beliefs from decisions? I am really curious, because I don't.

That said, it's not new news how influential and vocal the Mormons are against LGBT. I would be concerned on this front as I am, as I know you are, pushing for equality. You don't have this concern?

Why single out a Mormon? How is that any different then the Right Wing Fundamental Christians? I find Fundamental Christian Paul Ryan and his Ayn Rand support just as scary - - if not more so.

I would prefer an atheist - - as I am 100% for separation of church and state.

Yes - - even though I had stopped going to church years before - - - I officially resigned membership in the LDS church because of Prop 8. If you do not officially resign (most churches) they keep you on the count rolls - - padding their membership.

Like Catholics - - there are the Leaders in their ivory towers - - then there are the people. Many Mormons support LGBT even though the Leaders don't. There are websites for gay Mormons and Mormon Moms of LGBT.

Affirmation: Gay & Lesbian Mormons www.affirmation.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
No worse than having a muslim president.

Of course if that were true there would be a mountain of evidence supporting it since all the wacky right-wingers would give up their first-born for it.

So post the numerous pics and vids of him being Muslim, surely you have it all bookmarked.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join