It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon President a good idea...........?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

If our leaders are Muslim, Catholic, Jewish, Protestant or Mormon - what should it matter?

I personally don't care what the President's personal beliefs are so long as he does what's best for the people - all the people

Separation of church and state is what we tried to create - it's what we should still demand

When a candidate promises to introduce things or make changes that are faith based - and has the full support of other like-minded individuals - I worry

I seriously worry

edit on 11/6/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Mormonism is a cult and its roots come from extreme violence and crimes against humanity. Mormons have committed more atrocities than many whole nations have.

So no, it's not a "good idea".

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Joseph Smith was called a prophet
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Red Cloak
Mormonism is a cult and its roots come from extreme violence and crimes against humanity. Mormons have committed more atrocities than many whole nations have.

One word about violence and crimes against humanity: "Crusades."

That is all.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koros

That is all.

What is your point? That members of a cult are less dangerous than militant Christian fundamentalists? So you are one of those people who thinks its OK to do evil, as long as someone else is doing it? Christianity has committed atrocities, that does not make it OK that Mormons have also.

And I hate to break it to you, but Romney is big time powerful in the Mormon church. This isn't just any member of the Mormon church. This is probably the most powerful and prominent member of it - their so-called "white horse", who maybe even exceeds Joseph Smith in their religious hierarchy.
edit on 6-11-2012 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

That is all.

What is your point? That members of a cult are less dangerous than militant Christian fundamentalists? So you are one of those people who thinks its OK to do evil, as long as someone else is doing it? Christianity has committed atrocities, that does not make it OK that Mormons have also.

And I hate to break it to you, but Romney is big time powerful in the Mormon church. This isn't just any member of the Mormon church. This is probably the most powerful and prominent member of it - their so-called "white horse", who maybe even exceeds Joseph Smith in their religious hierarchy.
My point was that it is highly amusing that people like to say that Mormons have committed crimes against humanity (without providing any evidence, of course), yet they seem to have no problems with Obama being a Christian, one of the most violent religions in history.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Originally posted by abeverage
Do you think Muslims are Christians? Answer this question and stop deflecting

Muslims think Jesus was just a prophet, that's all.

Mormons think he is their only Lord and savior.

BIG difference.

I know you christians are angry that there are other groups of christians who don't believe exactly the same as you. But sooner or later you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that there are 22,000 denominations of Christianity. Each one of those 22,000 think they have it right and the other 21,999 have it all wrong. Some people, such as yourself even go so far as to claim the others aren't even christians, because only you are the real christian.

If only you knew how ridiculous this all sounds to the rest of us.

I would ask you to at least tolerate their existence, but asking for tolerance from a religious person is akin to bashing your head against a wall.

edit on 5-11-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

I have zero anger and I do tolerate the existence of Mormons more than you know.

What I was trying to show is that Muslims have Jesus within their doctrine but that does not make them Christians, as do Mormons. Mormon theology is based on "The Book of Mormon" The Doctrine and Covenants (the foundation of the Church) and the Jewish/Christian Bible is a side canon to that (as long as it is the Joseph Smith translations) www.lds.org...

This creates a fundamental difference between them and Christians just like Jews are not Christians or Christians are not Jews because they follow some of the same writings. Do you understand this concept?

There is a difference between arguing over interpretations of scripture and adding new doctrines and scripture.

To me all religions are free to practice even Scientology as long as they are consenting followers, what I was trying to show anyone with understanding, is that religions based on different theology and doctrine or canon are different. But hey you want to get to brass tacks they are all most likely following the same God

Here is a question I pose to you. The Raelians claim Jesus is own of theirs but do not claim to be Christian
carm.org... so are they? Is every religion who believe Christ is the savior a Christian?

When primary doctrine conflicts with established beliefs just like when Jews decided to break away from Judaism and become Christian a new Church or a new Religion is formed this is my argument to Mormons they are a new religion. And I have not nor will I claim to be a "true" Christian, but I will stand by that claim and believe LDS members should embrace being different instead of trying to conform.
edit on 6-11-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That is all.

My point was that it is highly amusing that people like to say that Mormons have committed crimes against humanity (without providing any evidence, of course), yet they seem to have no problems with Obama being a Christian, one of the most violent religions in history.

Right.........sure, no evidence that the Mormons committed any crimes. Evidently history is not something you know anything about. I never made a single comment about Obama being Christian. I'm not Christian and I can't stand most of them that I have personally known.

But you are lying if you even attempt to deny the violence and crimes that the Mormons have committed on American soil, and in other countries. You are making this into a religious argument, which is a failed attempt at deflection from the point at hand.

The Mormon church is a criminal cabal and a cult, and Romney is probably at the top of their church in all of its "prophetical history", since they believe he is the Mormon white horse of prophecy. Listing crimes committed by other religions is just a weak attempt to detract from the danger posed by putting the Mormons in the white house.

The Mormons are extremely dangerous. Next you will probably accuse me of being an Obama supporter. The level this forum has sunk to recently is appalling.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Classic deflection argument there. Nice job going by the "how to debate and look like a fool" textbook.

Mormons are a violent criminal cabal? Prove it. Show me the crimes they have committed. Then, show me how Romney has endorsed, condoned, or otherwise been complicit in any of those crimes.

You made the claim, and I'm not about to waste my time doing your homework for you. Your "history must not be your strong point" argument is childish and predictable. You made the claim, now put up or shut up.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Classic deflection argument there. Nice job going by the "how to debate and look like a fool" textbook.

Mormons are a violent criminal cabal? Prove it. Show me the crimes they have committed. Then, show me how Romney has endorsed, condoned, or otherwise been complicit in any of those crimes.

You made the claim, and I'm not about to waste my time doing your homework for you. Your "history must not be your strong point" argument is childish and predictable. You made the claim, now put up or shut up.

I am not going to ever acknowledge you again.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Mormons are very patriotic.

Mormons teach you to honor and respect government.

Mormons are hard and dedicated workers.

Its probably the only reason I would vote for Romney.

Did they not take an oath to pray for the destruction of the United States after the death of John Smith until the Senate Investigation in 1927?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

In other words "I've been held accountable for my claims, and I'm not prepared to support them."

Sure. Cut and run. It makes it that much more obvious that you were talking out of your ass.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind
My experience was of very closed-minded people with a subconscious need to control anything and everything in their lives and the lives of those around them. Being in Utah, this place got a lot of mormon kids who were at risk of being disowned by their families because they questioned the book of mormon.

Utah is kind of a selective case IMO.

My ward was in So CA. Many of us thought members (for whatever reason) who came from Utah - - - needed to take a chill pill.

There are Mormons all over the world. They follow the same belief - - - but they aren't like those from Utah.

I think Mormons in Salt Lake City would be like Catholics living at the Vatican. They're a bit more extreme IMO.

Excellent point. I will admit I have not met a great many mormons from outside of Utah. That place is ridiculous though.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Koros

I guess I must have been sick the day history class taught about the mormon inquisition and the mormon crusades as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me, or if you misunderstood my point. (The dangers of purely verbal communication, after all, is that we lose tone).

Could you clarify what you mean?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pennylemon

Mormons are very patriotic.

Mormons teach you to honor and respect government.

Mormons are hard and dedicated workers.

Its probably the only reason I would vote for Romney.

Did they not take an oath to pray for the destruction of the United States after the death of John Smith until the Senate Investigation in 1927?

If you want to dwell on something that was removed in 1927 - - I guess that's your right.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Koros

Total agreement. I never heard of any huge crimes of humanity and such committed by the mormons that dude claimed happened

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I never have either. And, apparently, asking people to provide evidence of those crimes is a no-no.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Went back and read your post. I'm over this thread but you deserve respect.

Judges are faced with this predicament every day of their lives. They have to (or are supposed to) abide by laws - - no matter their personal beliefs. Scalia (Catholic) USSC - - is a good (or bad) example of someone who definitely lets his personal beliefs influence his decisions.

I think everyone is a product of their beliefs and experiences. I don't think anyone can escape those beliefs and experiences from affecting decisions they make. Some might even go in the opposite direction just to try to prove they are not bias.

So I think the real honest question is: To what degree does someone let their personal beliefs/experiences affect their decisions.

In Romney's case - - - I think - - money - power - control - - - supersedes any religious belief. Per most Neo-Cons in position of power.

I see Romney as Bush on Steroids - - - back powered by those who wrote (and followers) of the PNAC.

“Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupt absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority; still more when you superadd the tendency of the certainty of corruption by authority.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think many people fear what they don't understand - - and fear what they believe undermines their own belief.

I know when I was Mormon - - the first thing I learned is not to discuss it with non-Mormons. Not that I was being secretive - - - but because most non-Mormons are so ignorant of the belief it creates a lot of tension and an uncomfortable situation.

I learned non-Mormons think they know more about the belief then Mormons themselves. If someone asked me a question - - and I answered it. They would stand there and tell me to my face I am wrong. You learn really quick to share your belief by your personal actions and behavior. Not to discuss it or try to explain it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why did I become Mormon? My hubby was born and raised. He had left - - but wanted to try it as a married couple. This was long before Prop 8. He also officially resigned because of their involvement. He was brought up in the Mormon belief - - that they do not tell others how to live their lives. They simply set a good example of how to live life.

Did I miss anything?

edit on 6-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
I have worked with mormons and I`ve provided services to their church. I never experienced any problem and made some friends there also.

Religion is not supposed to be a factor for a president being elected or not.
edit on 5-11-2012 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

I have a problem with them knocking on my door on weekends.

Of course they were nice to you when you helped them.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join