It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon President a good idea...........?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Who the hell gives a rats ass... Mormon, Muslim .. what other choice do we have? NONE

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by Annee

I do not believe any religion is wise - read the last post fully and stop playing the victim......

Watch the 6 min video and tell me what is not true about Mormonism ..... Educate me and stop accusing me of picking on a poor Mormon

Well the video is a typical Mormon hit piece full of half truths and out of context things to skew the viewer against Mormonism. I don't have time to explain it all but right out of the gate Elohim is not considered the Mormon God. Elohim is Hebrew for Gods or the Gods or as Joseph Smith said Council of the Gods... It is also used in the Bible in the plural also... Joseph Smith never said he had done more then Jesus for mankind. Mormons abandoned polygamy over a century ago... Just to name a few things...

The temple rituals seem a little weird to the outsider but were originally taken from Masonry. Joseph Smith said at one time he was restoring the true Masonry... But not much difference then weird rituals performed across the country by Masons Shriners, Rotary, and college fraternities etc...

I am a former Mormon born and raised in the church and I have no problem bashing Mormonism. I do have a problem using lies and half truths to bash Mormonism. There is plenty to go after with no need to skew things the video is a joke...

edit on 5-11-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible
What's next, a scientologist?

Well...if things get worse, it might get as bad as Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming governor. lol.
OH WAIT ...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
OP:

I honestly think that all religion should be separate from the state.

As Jefferson said

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

I think anyone running for office should not be aloud to speak of their religion, so that they nor others react up on what they believe, and only react on what they do. They should not be addressing what they believe in religiously,and if they did then they are thrown out of the race, and or office.

What is needed is a person who act's on the good of the nation, for the nation. The nation that is of the people for the people not, of this religion for the followers of the same religion.

If the beliefs they have required them to pray 5 times a day or 1 time a week It should not be done publicly.
It should be done privately. What should be done publicly is the what they are doing. The brain storming of
the people that represent the citizens of this country. Not how many times they prey nor what they prey to.

I"m not saying remove freedom of religion, I'm just saying remove it from public office.
Your taking an oath be it President or Mayor, you are taking a job for the public.

We have freedom of religion and speech press
but what we need is

Freedom From religion

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Interesting discussion. I am going to take the stand that main stream "Christians" are in it for the money and the ego. Tell me, how many different "Christian" organizations are out there? Baptist, Pentecostal, Episcopalian and many more. Why? If they all believe exactly the same thing then why not worship together? Why build separate buildings when that money could go to the poor? What about televangelists, are they not Christian also? Why have three separate churches sitting next to one another saying "yeah, we believe the same thing... mostly". Or is it "God" saying "go ahead at follow any denomination, well, except for ya'll. JoeBob said you ain't followin' what I say so now I don't like you"?

Now let me ask you this, is the Jewish religion more correct than Christianity? Are they both just as correct? And if so, why not Islam? And if there can be only one, who gets to decide? You? Me?

So if they are all equal, what right do we have talking down any belief system? If only one is right then God has done a huge disservice to humankind by effectively saying "ooops, you didn't pick right, you're screwed".

If there is a God, then I had better be judged on who I was as a person. Not because of what book I read or which preacher I listened to or even which building I walked into. And if you want to judge me for what I believe, then you lose all credibility and respect as God is the only one who should judge.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

You are talking about a secular society....... France try's to achieve this.....

I agree, religion should be separated from government but even then it still influences individuals beliefs and therefore decision making......

PDUK

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiouscanadian777
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned "Lying for the Lord". My understanding of it is that Mormons are encouraged to lie when explaining something that might be unattractive/unpopular to a potential convert or non-believer. I don't know much about it, and you can google for yourself, as I don't know which entry I could post would be more credible.
Perhaps some Mormons or former Mormons could enlighten us on this?

Errrr... never heard of it, or maybe I wasnt at church that Sunday when the class was taught it

Its rumors or ideas like this that make a lapsed LDS like myself laugh.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, theres other more real stuff you could say was negative about the church than laughable stuff like "Lying for the Lord" ... hey it might have happened in some area somewhere at some time, after all humans are humans, each 'ward' (parish technically) or 'Stake' (regional collection of wards) tends to have its own ups and down and each bishop (pastor of a ward more or less) when called tends to add a flavour to his period as the head, and some Bishops arent good ones but most are good people (in the 20 years i was going to church we had 1 or 2 bishops who where not very good but they usually have short callings and get replaced quickly, other than that most are decent people who take the job of bishop seriously along with the members well being). So who knows some bad bishop or members of a stake bishopric started abusing their postions and did something to get that happening, but it aint anything ive seen or heard of during my time as a member.

Your average LDS member are regular normal decent people.

As for an example of how things can be quite different from area to area, or country to country as a teen in the 'Teachers' (i think its called that been a long time) class we had to wear ties if we wanted to pass the sacrament (ie being the ones that hand out the trays with bread and water to the other members during the sacrament part of the congregational meeting) no tie, you couldnt do it, and some members almost scolded you for it... one of my American cousins came to visit and he was taken aback by the 'no tie, no help passing the sacrament' rule since he said in America you didnt need a tie, just typical church cloths. Turns out the 'tie rule' was started by some particular high up in the NZ bishopric for what ever reason years ago... so who knows maybe "Lying for the Lord" is/was real, but it aint part of the church now, and i think more importantly...

Any good, true member of the church would protest at the notion or the use of it emphatically.

Although thinking about it some more id see this as something that could have been started by some one in charge of Missionaries within an area, again some of the people who are in charge are good others not so good, heck I remember being told by a couple of missionaries we had over for tea when it was our turn about one of their supervisors being so despotic he basically made sure none of the missionaries under his supervision where allowed TV, books and the like and some extremely strick rules even more strict than the regular ones. he had his own ideas and the position to enforce it, so I guess some high up missionary supervisor some where might have been giving out his own brand of tips for missionary work like "Lying for the Lord"... hopefully the bastard lost his calling quick smart.
edit on 5-11-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
religion and politics.
they should never be mixed
eveyone can beleive what they want, just it usually bad when strong religious beleif gets power.
edit on 5/11/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Most of our presidents have been masquerading as Christians, why not complain about all of them? None of them were actual Christians, as you cannot use mens' lives as pawns in your get rich schemes and still be a Christian.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
He's white though...that's all that matters.

A brown guy who says he's christian....well he's obviously a Muslim....

A white guy who openly admits he's a Mormon.....well let's just forget our objections to religions other than ours.

The truth is Mormonism is way more F'd up than Islam.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

The truth is Mormonism is way more F'd up than Islam.

They both require the same defect of mind and character to devote your life to in such fanatic fashion. Something is telling me you identify yourself as a Christian?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
@Bigfoot
Thanks for responding. I did have the impression that it was a real thing, so thanks for setting me straight.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Simple question really............. Is having a Mormon president a good idea......?

Arguablly the most powerful position in the world......... potentially occupied by Romney............

FORGET Republican or Democrat alliegence....... if he believes mormon twoddle then surely that must have some effect on his decision making processes......?

www.boreme.com...

Above link is a 6min animation explaining what Mormon's believe...........

And we think Islam is bad.........oh well....

PDUK

When the use of "mormon" is involved and it is broadcasted by somebody that tries to bring legitimacy to that word. A red flag should immediately come up unto everyones brain that sees or hears that word., Because all the indications are and it can be proven in a court of law and found guilty, is that the word "mormon" is an entirely fictitious name. A name well devised by the use of other people's intellectual property, such as Solomon's Spalding's Manuscript Found, Ethan Smith's "View of the Hebrews". The Book of Mormon is a compilation of made up hebrew type stories that are proven to be fake.. There is so much evidence of no artifacts from the book of "mormon" time period. There is supposed to be wheat, barley, Iron, steel, horses, elephants, in south america were the stories were supposed to originate and there isn't anything like that. Except AFTER columbus NOT before.

This is so monumental that people (especially christian voters) really understand what Romney doesn't understand sadly. That the book of "mormon" my have great FICTITIOUS stories, they are not real and needs to be more information on the word "mormon" to the american people. Many LDS people don't realize that Joseph Smith was arrested for glass looking even before the book was published. Glass looking means, telling people they have gold in their backyards etc. and never finding gold etc. They are not told this as members, the are NOT told about Joseph looking in a hat with a stone to decipher what was on the golden plates. They are not told that there are NO artifacts in the ground either in south america nor north america from the book of mormon time period.

They are not told about the fact that Thomas Ferguson a top notch archeologist who was given $200,000 to dig for artifacts of the book of mormon time period and finding nothing. And boy was he pi$$ed. Though before he realized the truth he was a TBM and (true blue mormon). Getting up early every morning dreaming of being the guy that would find the artifacts from the book of mormon time periods. But he found NOTHING,

Here are some links to Thomas Ferguson:
www.utlm.org...,%20Thomas%20Stuart

Here is a link to a man who was one of the most dedicated members of the church but walked away with his kids when he realized that the book of mormon has do DNA to back up it's stories form hebrews leaving ancient Jerusalem. Simon Southerton's book: In Search of a Lost Tribe:is mentioned on this page, he is the plant biologist that realized that there was dna testing done to the indians that were supposed to be from the book of mormon lineage (hebrew) but they are actually of asian in origin.
www.utlm.org...

Personally I truly hope President Obama is re elected. One thing I just think is so sad, is that the american people just don't understand that in a court of law, the book of mormon can easily be proven fictitious.,

Here is a link to one of the most righteous men that ever graced the LDS church and his name is Grant Palmer. a very orthodox spiritual man that wrote another book
www.mormonthink.com...
This is especially for the republican christians:
www.amazon.com...

Insider's View of Mormon Origins
www.amazon.com...

When the leaders of the LDS church disfellowship Grant Palmer, they disfellowshipped truly one of the most spiritual men to have ever graced their doors. They ostracized a man that NEVER should of been ostracized !

Maybe if Romney gets elected (which I hope he doesn't, he can beg him on his hands and knees to come back because Grant is man that really needs to be sainted for what he was put through. Truly a GREAT man for what he had to put up with !

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Simple question really............. Is having a Mormon president a good idea......?

Arguablly the most powerful position in the world......... potentially occupied by Romney............

FORGET Republican or Democrat alliegence....... if he believes mormon twoddle then surely that must have some effect on his decision making processes......?

www.boreme.com...

Above link is a 6min animation explaining what Mormon's believe...........

And we think Islam is bad.........oh well....

PDUK

My one request is he consider legalizing multiple wives, i need more women in my bed

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
In my experience with Mormons (which is very limited, maybe 12 or so) I can say they stand out in my memory for being
1.) very honest/determined to an almost flaw
2.) very organized
3.) great to work with (they actually did their job, well)

BUT I don't honestly believe that our votes make a difference, just wanted to throw my "Mormon" experience out there, they all impressed me as hard working people, take it or leave it - it's the truth.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Thescripter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

What does marriage have to do with having multiple women in your bed? You probably increase your chances by not being married, how can you have a fun threesome with some headcase married person talking about their spouse? I don't want to hear that during me time.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I want a national proclamation of a moratorium on baptizing the dead into Mormonism if Romney gets elected ......

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
it is difficult to reconcile with a religion that views the dark skin of Native Americans as a curse from god.

en.wikipedia.org...

or that Native Americans are the descendants from the lost tribes of Israel.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetiler
The Book of Mormon is a compilation of made up hebrew type stories that are proven to be fake..

And what exactly is the Bible?

Where is there ANY proof of the existence of "mythical biblical Jesus"?

Bash one belief - - - but support another that has zero proof?

ALL religions are based in myth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my position. I spent a lifetime trying different Christian religions (and some non). Of all the religions I've tried - - I would pick Mormon as the one to belong to - - if I had to pick one.

Why? Because they are the best organized - - the most devoted to family - - the one that supports other members - - mostly genuine people - - etc etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mormon is no worse or better then any other religious belief. But there are ways they are better.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Would that mean it would be legal to have many wives? And can they all be from the real life barbie clone factory too? ha ha

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join