It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon President a good idea...........?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Simple question really............. Is having a Mormon president a good idea......?

Arguablly the most powerful position in the world......... potentially occupied by Romney............

FORGET Republican or Democrat alliegence....... if he believes mormon twoddle then surely that must have some effect on his decision making processes......?

Hmm...probably the most insidious piece of religious baiting I have seen on ATS in a while. You had me at "morom twoddle [sic]".....

Maybe you should stick your your own politics in the UK. Your question was innocent until you produced that piece of garbage.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Why single out a Mormon?

Because the candidate is Mormon. No other reason.

How is that any different then the Right Wing Fundamental Christians?

It's not.

I get the impression Romney is more 'religious' than Obama. Also I get the impression Mormonism as a whole is more anti-LGBT than the plethora of other Christian sects.

I find Fundamental Christian Paul Ryan and his Ayn Rand support just as scary - - if not more so.

I wouldn't disagree or argue but does that translate to not being concerned about Romney and LGBT. Not sure if I saw that as a response to my question.

I would prefer an atheist - - as I am 100% for separation of church and state.

More to the point. My point. I think you would HAVE to have an atheist for that separation

Yes - - even though I had stopped going to church years before - - - I officially resigned membership in the LDS church because of Prop 8.

Ahh that's interesting Annee, I don't think I read that in any other threads

If you do not officially resign (most churches) they keep you on the count rolls - - padding their membership.

I don't doubt that! Nor would I single out Mormons for that!

Many Mormons support LGBT even though the Leaders don't.

True and fair enough. I should have said 'the ones making the decisions on their behalf'. Of course that begs the question as to why someone would be a member of a group who's beliefs/decisions are in contradiction.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I have an honest question.

If Romney does win (I hope not) when they swear him in which bible will they use?

Mormons use the KJV bible.

not really, it's a modified version where they've changed stuff. That and the book of mormon

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

She said she was a Mormon.... So you are calling her a liar and also professing you know firsthand. So were you also a Mormon? And why should we then believe you over her?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I had seen a video clip where Romney stated that he made a legislative decision when governor based on the facts and law but he then changed his mind on it because of his faith so I think the OPs questions are very legitimate and valid.

Personally I probably would have voted for John Huntsman as he seemed more grounded and to be frank human IMO.

Take into consideration if Romney had been a scientologist would people be saying religion doesn’t matter? Religion is part of one’s guiding forces as for myself I am with Anne I would rather see an atheist as a candidate but these are our choices and I think it would be foolish to not take into consideration something as important as what they believe and follow when considering how they may govern.

I personally think Romney is too religious I felt as if Huntsman was on a more even keel in that regard.

Something as defining as a person’s religion should not be overlooked.
edit on 6-11-2012 by Grimpachi because:

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Take into consideration if Romney had been a scientologist would people be saying religion doesn’t matter? Religion is part of one’s guiding forces

Starred.

It's quite refreshing to see others share my viewpoint on this

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
If he wins, does he swear oath on the bible, or the book of Mormon?
They believe in some extremely weird stuff. Yes I know... so does all religion... but after reading about it. It's just off....

Well what would you expect from a religion some guy randomly made up so he could marry more than one woman? Wanna get rich? Start your own religion. Sure you will start off being called a cult by the mainstream but there will be plenty of morons that will buy what your selling.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Well what would you expect from a religion some guy randomly made up

Also known as the history of religion itself

You can't, I can't, no one can, prove any religion is more true over another religion.

I believe they are all 'made-up'.

Random? Far from it. There was intent. Still is. Which is why religion is a completely relevant factor in assessing a potential POTUS. Any other person is open to such discernment... are we all making a societal decision that a POTUS is somehow inhuman that they would be immune to such basic psychology??

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Too tired to answer you in-depth.

Let's go back to Bush and his Christian Crusade. He obviously was not able to keep his God belief out of his presidency.

Why wasn't the same question asked of him?

I'd say Mormon is more Fear of the Unknown and misinformation then anything else.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by Grimpachi
I have an honest question.

If Romney does win (I hope not) when they swear him in which bible will they use?

Mormons use the KJV bible.

not really, it's a modified version where they've changed stuff. That and the book of mormon

I don't know about that. I had a plain old standard King James Version bible.

EDIT: Found it. I remember now. The KJV bible itself is not modified. The LDS version just has added footnotes etc.

10. Why do Mormons only use the King James Version of the Bible?

The eighth LDS Article of Faith states: "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly." The Mormons believe the Bible has gone through repeated editing that has changed the meaning of the text. Thus they are skeptical of any translation of the Bible. However, they view the King James Version as the least corrupt of the versions available today. They print their own Bible (King James Version) with additional LDS footnotes, dictionary and topical guide. These cross reference to their other books of scripture and provide LDS explanations. www.utlm.org...

edit on 6-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Nothing to fear but fear itself... The nation elected Kennedy (the only Catholic President), We elected the first Black President (based on false hope and change), 2 Quakers, and a Jevhovah's Witness ...Why not the first Mormon President... I am just glad we have ONE candidate that openly embraces a specific faith... The other candidate not so much...

Interesting Link to our presidents past and their religious affiliations

www.adherents.com...

That's all true, but would the American people have so eagerly elected any of those presidents if they were say, a Cardinal or Deacon of the Catholic Church?

Romney was a Bishop for the Mormon Church, and much more heavily involved than your average church-goer
edit on 6-11-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Having a Mormon president who believes that "twoddle," as you say, is no more or less dangerous that having any other Christian sect in there. What I want to know is why there are never discussions of "Is having a Christian president a good idea?"

Oh, wait, never mind. I know the answer to that. Suddenly beliefs are only "odd" if they are held by smaller amounts of people. Since most of the US believes mainstream Christian dogma and mythology, the Mormons are considered the weird ones.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Too tired to answer you in-depth.

Let's go back to Bush and his Christian Crusade. He obviously was not able to keep his God belief out of his presidency.

Why wasn't the same question asked of him?

I think I addressed that sufficiently so I look forward to your awake state and subsequent response

edit on 6-11-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack

problem is, he swore a oath as a mormon bishop. if he would swear on the constitution, which oath will count ?
i doubt, he can follow both at the same time.

This answer is easy coming from a Mormon,

He will need to make the constitution priority, 2nd following the law of being a member of the LDS church.

Why?

Because it states that in the Book of Mormon.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koros

Having a Mormon president who believes that "twoddle," as you say, is no more or less dangerous that having any other Christian sect in there. What I want to know is why there are never discussions of "Is having a Christian president a good idea?"

Koros, if you had read my input on this post you would understand surely that I do not believe that ANY religion is preferable when they ALL cloud the judgements of those whom govern us.....!

My take on the Moron religion here is that when you watch that video in the initial opening post, HOW can anyone vote for someone whom believes that as the foundation of their religion....?

I have read most of the posts on this thread and the vast majority of those do question how someone who holds a faith based system like this can represent a modern 21st centuary 'superpower' (?).....

My other feeling here is that the guy, Twit Romney is being followed by many who don't even understand what Mormonism means and follow him blindly down the Republican avenue...............

You wanna see Republican values, then watch Mr Trump.....an avid supporter of Mr Romney.........

www.boreme.com...

DO as I say NOT say as I do..............

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Simple question really............. Is having a Mormon president a good idea......?

Arguablly the most powerful position in the world......... potentially occupied by Romney............

FORGET Republican or Democrat alliegence....... if he believes mormon twoddle then surely that must have some effect on his decision making processes......?

Hmm...probably the most insidious piece of religious baiting I have seen on ATS in a while. You had me at "morom twoddle [sic]".....

Maybe you should stick your your own politics in the UK. Your question was innocent until you produced that piece of garbage.

Thankyou OBE for your reply......:-)

Insideous religious baiting.....? No more than any religion which differentiates itself from another......

I'm guessing that I offended your religious views and beliefs perhaps....?
If i did then good because we all need to be challenged from time to time otherwise we all become complacent.......

I stand by my desciption of ''Twoddle'' because having watched that video then Mormonism is as mad as a box of frogs.............. same MANMADE Twoddle as scientology and all other associated religions........

IMHO..... it's ALL Twoddle.........

As an independant, open and inquistive minded individual - I do not need to follow any religion to know what is right and what is wrong............

I just don't get the hypnosis and blind following that religion is............. i may offend people with my attitude but I guess more have been offended by the actions of others in the name of religion......

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

Because it states that in the Book of Mormon.

could you post a text or link, what proofs this ?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm British and i see you are too, I really really hope Romney doesn't get it.
I think the decisions he'll make will have negatives effects on my country.
Mormons shouldn't be allowed to run, simple as that.
And I don't even want to begin to think about his views on the conflict between Iran and Israel.
The man is DANGEROUS
edit on 6-11-2012 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Willard Mitt Romney has World War III written all over his Magic Fairy Pants. The Man is a Wrong 'un.

No-one who is a religious Fundamentalist, whatever faith, should be allowed anywhere near the worlds biggest nuclear arsenal, religious fundamentalists do not think rationally or apply logic to anything they do.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shminkee Pinkee

Willard Mitt Romney has World War III written all over his Magic Fairy Pants. The Man is a Wrong 'un.

No-one who is a religious Fundamentalist, whatever faith, should be allowed anywhere near the worlds biggest nuclear arsenal, religious fundamentalists do not think rationally or apply logic to anything they do.

Couldn't agree more

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join