It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the worst thing that's happened to you...?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Going through public school in the 21st century.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I was an Olympic level bicycle racer.
I was out on a training ride for the national championships.
I was hit from behind and run over by a fully loaded, 35 ton cement truck doing 50mph in a 30

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I know my story is nothing in comparison to others' posts, but here it goes:

For me, the worst part of my life has been ongoing. According to my parents, I didn't start talking until I was 4, which is probably part of the reason I have a speech impediment. I took speech lessons throughout grade school, but they didn't help much at all. I was still unable to pronounce "r"s correctly, and giving up hope on it, I refused to take lessons before Jr. high, which I began to regret.

Being a part of the marvelous educational system of Amerika, I was subjected to either being treated like crap because of my voice or people pitying me because they thought I was mentally disabled when I went to junior high. While I wasn't beat up (though I did start a few fights which I didn't start winning until High School), my bullies mainly used verbal abuse, and too proud, I refused to hang out with the other rejected kids, probably reminding me too much of myself.

Because of my voice, you could probably imagine how hard it would be for me to get a relationship. The few girls that didn't treat me like crap and would talk to me out of pity, I would get hopelessly attached to. Because of my refusal to feel pain anymore, I became more withdrawn from the few "friends" I had and family. In November of my Freshman year while hunting away from my Dad, I loaded my rifle and put the barrel in my mouth, safety off and finger on the trigger, and wasn't able to pull it.

During my sophomore year of high school, I finally opened up to my family why I was so withdrawn, but I didn't tell them about my attempted suicide ( and still haven't). I started taking speech lessons again, and finished the course in what was record time for my instructor.

Feeling like I was actually in control of my life for once, I began getting confidant. But I refused to see that even though I could pronounce my sounds better, my voice still had the sound of someone disabled. I fell into another hopelessly attached relationship, and got my heart broken (no surprise looking back on it) again.

I began an addiction that I am still struggling with today towards video games, maybe some part in the back of my mind thinking my success on COD will some how translate over to my real life. Other things I've tried to erase my pain is drinking, a certain plant that we are not allowed to talk about on here and I was a smoker during my summer before freshman year.

Even though I'm in my Junior year of high school and life is looking up for me with no more bullies, being fairly strong, and struggling to build friendships, I am still fairly withdrawn. For the most part, I've lost the ability to care about many things. Despite being able to, I don't care about getting a drivers license. When friends text me to hang out (even though I never use my phone), I have to convince myself that I won't be a downer to the group. I've lost the ability to care about finding a girlfriend, despite being 16 and having never kissed a girl.

I guess there is one good thing that has come out of this. My perspective on life has changed completely compared to what it had been if I would've been able to speak properly. Because of my social ineptness, I was on the computer a lot which led me to wake up. My views on things like religion, politics and my spirit has changed because of this. I am able to hold a perspective on the world that is different than most brainwashed Americans, which is one of the few things about my life I treasure.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobSwagger
I know my story is nothing in comparison to others' posts, but here it goes:

For me, the worst part of my life has been ongoing. According to my parents, I didn't start talking until I was 4, which is probably part of the reason I have a speech impediment. I took speech lessons throughout grade school, but they didn't help much at all. I was still unable to pronounce "r"s correctly, and giving up hope on it, I refused to take lessons before Jr. high, which I began to regret.

This story hits home with me because my grandson appears to be in exactly the same position. he was extremely ill as a very young child where his temperature skyrocketed. They intentionally put him in a coma and kept his temp down. We all thought he might not make it, but he did.

As he got older it was apparent he had a speech impediment. I believe he burned out some brain cells relating to speech when he was so sick. He could not and still cannot pronounce his r's and sounds kind of like Elmer Fudd. he loved video games and is a whiz at math, but otherwise scrapes by in school. Actually the last couple of years he has been home schooled. He's in jr high.

We encountered some bullying in grade school, but the school itself shut it down hard and fast (I was impressed. It took the principal a couple of hours to set the bullies straight.) As far as I know it has never happened again. Now my guy is closing on on my height (6 feet) and is well-muscled. He has a few social issues involving boundaries, but appears to get along very well with others. he likes girls, and one other thing:

He's very, very good at Lacrosse, especially as a goalie. he's good enough that the high school team wants him even though he is a couple of years younger. This has provided a real support group for him. He's well-respected by the teams he plays on (and their opponents.)

Just wanted to give you an example that sounds very much like your issue to show you it can be done. Good luck to you.
edit on 11/4/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/4/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
im born

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I 'woke up' & came to realize that most everything i was taught & believed about how the world works was a lie.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

uhmmmm sorry but what was your problem again exactly?

It doesn't matter that others suffer in different ways-it matters that people suffer, and that others feel compassion. We all have our own 'hell' [so to speak], and one should never belittle another because "someone has/had it worse." We can feel compassion for those who we feel might have it worse, but it never negates our own..though it can help at times to put things into perspective.

I've had the opportunity to mention my own hell many times and on several different websites over the last several years, but I never have. I think people who share their lifes experiences are very strong emotionally. Not that those who don't aren't strong as well, but there is something to be said for those mature enough to voice-or put into words-the struggles they have been through and overcome.. or are working on overcoming. I feel that getting it out and opening up is one of the very best courses to putting it all behind & growing from the negative aspects of having had to live through pain.

But everyone knows that voicing these issues is not a competition, and so throwing out amputations and such has nothing to do with a person who was raped, bullied, etc., and to belittle ones issues or try to guilt a person who is opening up about their own issues, is itself a form of emotional abuse. At the very least a sad attemp at judgement.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Saying that one should not say a word about the conditions of their country because some other country is far worse is the most ridiculous argument ever made. Standing up for and fighting for the freedoms you have now is how you prevent your country from sliding into the hell that so many in the world live under. Why wait until its too late?

No doubt there is always someone who has it worse than you, some place that is even more horrible than the one your in. Does that mean you don't suffer? You can't or are not allowed to feel pain? Should you be ashamed for feeling because your suffering is not as great as someone else? Nonsense!

By that logic I guess we need to find the one human being that has it worse than any on the planet. Only he or she can legitimately cry about their condition, if they can cry that is, and everyone else needs to just shut up and get in line!!

The A$$HATS really get me

edit on 5-11-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Hyaena

So, there I am. I think I've reached the very bottom. I can't fight anymore. For most of my life, I wanted to be a writer. Writing was the only thing that kept me going. I haven't written in a year or so because I can't do it anymore. It's just gone, and I don't care. I tried seeking counseling a few times, and they just want to throw more pills at me.

I no longer have friends because of all the damage my former roommate caused and also because I'm afraid to go outside anymore. My mother continues to call every day, and I live in fear of her calls. Because I'm at the point where I believe every awful thing that she says about me, and I wonder why I'm still here.

I don't know. But there you go. That's my story.

Never stop fighting... you got this far right?

You can still try for unemployment [and get it] without a lawyer even. Try it..what do you have to lose?

You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family. Don't answer the phone when your mother calls-if all she is doing is verbally abusing you.

Your story is sad, but you can make your life better. Only you can do it..you have to take back your power, and you have the ability to be a strong successful person-but you need to believe that

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I guess it's all in how you look at it.
Some things that people consider to be bad, are also a good thing. My life was unorthadox compared to many families we knew when I was young, and didn't really get bad until I was older.

For example,
I was born, and shortly after, for whatever reason (I still don't know, and I don't know whether my mum knows and just isn't telling me) Dad left, leaving me to be raised by mum.
Mum got married to an alcoholic who knocked her up and then cheated on her. He was chucked out by a neighbour after fighting with my mum, I remember running to their house to get help. I was about 4.
Mum suffered with bad post-natal depression, and almost attempted to kill my brother.
Moved away.

Fast forward a couple of years. By this point, my mum is loads better but still suffered with depression.
Aunt tried to adopt me and my brother because she thought that my mum was unfit. After a home visit, turns out mum was more than capable but aunt wouldn't give us back. Stopped contact between mum and us. Mum got a neighbour to drive her all the way to us (like 6 hours).
Mum started seeing this guy, who we thought was alright.
As time passed, he got abusive, physically hurting my mum. She stayed with him for about 8 years.
After a while she started drinking a lot when he was around.
One night when I was 17, she came into my room drunk when I had a friend round and started picking on me in front of my friend, ending up with me being hit around the head with my CD player and she attempted to throw me down the stairs.
Started seeing a guy who I thought was the dogs balls, despite being a bit manipulative and controlling. Moved in with him.
Turns out he was a closet gay.
Broke up after two years and I have no money, no job, and no home.
Homeless at 21.
Slept in the corner of a friends bedroom for about 8 months before I could get myself sorted.
Met a REAL nice guy. Still with him today. Had a kid.
Got severely depressed. Friends turned on me because they were sh1t stirring f~cks.
Managed to turn it on it's head. Gained a lot of weight.
Living my life to the fullest now, working out as much as I can

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I am reluctant to post my experiences because I can already see hints of a competitive, "Oh yeah? Well I've been through THIS!" attitude rearing its head. As, sadly, I expected sort of.

So instead I'll just say I believe that no matter what we go through, there's always, always someone going through worse, even if only by degrees. And a lot of how much we suffer is relative to our threshold for suffering. One person's "just a splinter" is someone else's "agonizing pain." And I believe they're all equally valid and worthy of compassion, not scorn or dismissal.

Just my two cents. Peace.

I know what you mean..
that neatly sums up how I feel,
edit on 5/11/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Hyaena

Do you work in the US? It is illegal to fire someone with a disability. How long has it been? It bothers me you didn't pursue it.
edit on 5-11-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by rick004

My hardships rival everyone's on this thread and then some. I don't need to constantly mire myself in it or find compatibility to make myself feel better. The ones who need to know, know.

You don't meet many people from the Sudan, do you?

Because the government doesn't allow people to leave. The government doesn't even allow the women to report rape, though about 80% of the female population has been raped and abused.

The Sudanese government won't let the papers report any atrocities, and will not let the UN or other organizations into the country to document them.

Canada, the US, and the UK are trying to get into Sudan for rescue efforts because rebel forces are once again terrotizing and brutalzing the citizens.

So when your government allows rebel forces to come into your village, kill your father in front of you, and force you to rape your mother afterwards, and you are not allowed to tell a soul....

THEN,

you can say that you don't have any freedoms.

You're funny. The "I've had it worse than ALL of you!" stuff doesn't work on me, sorry. I'm surrounded by it. I've grown immune.

Says the person who felt a need to start a thread and dive right in to their life story, who wants to know everyone else's.

You think I've shared all my horrors and troubles online?

Your point is?

I am not starting a competition. You feel the need to compete suddenly though.

I didn't question your life, I questioned how you seem to think you don't have any freedom.

You don't know squat. Especially not about meOr any of us, for that matter..

That is pretty much the point of anonymous forums with fake member names.

Yes, more likely than not, he got landed in a correctional facility because of some wrong he did. Does that automatically call for torture?

It depends on what he did. Which is why I asked. If he is in there for child molestation, are you worried about his rights?

Maybe in Sudan... where, by the way, I don't think you've ever been. Just my opinion, though. I wouldn't know for sure.

I don't have to go to know how it is. Just like I have never been to England, but I know that they have good TV, have a queen, a rebel prince, and an immigration issue just like us.

So people in Sudan are allowed to be angry about their evil government, but Americans can't be upset by their government's injustices? They may not be exactly the same, but they're both corrupt governments, and they're both harming their own people... like every government does.

It is a spectrum. If you think it is so bad that you want to leave, by all means leave. But not all governments are equal, or the same amount of "evil". Maybe a little wordly experience will give you perspective.

We all have a right to be hurt by our suffering.

And how is your suffering the governmen'ts fault?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rick004

Poverty in America isn't the same as poverty in the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I was sick from the age of 24 through 30 so I missed out on my prime years and recovered a shell of myself. My family didn't visit me very often at the time which jaded me somewhat towards a few of them. I was improperly diagnosed by my family doctor who birthed me and we had a huge falling out as a result. It took four years to find that i was suffering from an extreme case of mitro valve prolapse from which my heart, I was told might not recover due to the length it went undetected.

I was unable to sleep for four years every night... that's some hardship I went through, I should be more grateful for what I have and pray for thanks that I endured that difficulty. I know it's not the hardest thing anyone's experienced, but they are my hardships. And I endured that stage of my life. So, I guess I'm thankful for that.
edit on 5-11-2012 by KristofLaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

But crying that you don't like the country and want to leave, because of your own issues, is just plain silly and dramatic.

It is not about who has it worse, it is comparing an actual country under a horrible dictatorship to a country that is free, despite the paranoids who want to insist it isn't.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have seen my share of poverty and despair ! I volunteer twice a month at the shepherds of good hope and I speak on a regular basis at the detox in my city , judging from your other threads the worst you've been through is too many sweeteners in your Starbucks !!! Oh and I never complained that my country is oppressed !
edit on 4-11-2012 by rick004 because: Added more content

Dude, you can keep trying to taunt me to give something up, you are just looking silly now.

And I can't even vote tomorrow because I don't have enough gas to get to the polling station. So no, I don't go to Starbucks. Maybe twice a year for a Carmel Frappachino.

I also worked in the welfare office, and I work with homeless and recovering alcholics. I have seen how the actual poor live in countries like Jamaica.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Because that is a chemical inbalance. It causes depression no matter what your life situation is. Have you tried to treat it?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Being mugged at gunpoint.

Took me all of 3 hours in the pub to get over it though so hey ho. Never caught the t*%! either. Aside from that, finance at various stages. You just crack on with though don't you? No point crying about it, it doesn't get you anywhere.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The worst that happened to me

I WAS ENSLAVED, my life destroyed and me sent to another country
to work as a low wage slave cleaning bathrooms.

My country and my wealth was methodically and systematically destroyed by
Zionist bankers in control of Pentagon, NATO etc

After surviving a war I had no chance but to leave looking for a better life.

Ended up going to school AGAIN to become a dentist in a new country
using a new language (English)

The hardship and suffering I endured knows no bounds, heck
I don't even fear death anymore.

I won't tell you which country, But I will tell you the United States CIA
was shipping Jihadis and Wahhabi extremists into my country to
speed up its destruction.

Forgive me for thinking very worst of good ol USA.

And this was WAY before 9/11, when Jihadis were suddenly an enemy of US
luckily I managed to make a life for myself, but memories are forever.

edit on 5-11-2012 by LostPassword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join