It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Superweapon: U.S. Missile EMP Burst Kills Computers And Electronics Selectively

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Source: ______beforeitsnews
Date : October 23, 2012

Cruising fast over the Western Utah Desert, a lone missile made history at the Utah Test and Training Range. The missile, known as CHAMP, or Counter-electronics High-powered Advanced Missile Project may one day change modern warfare, by defeating electronic targets with little or no collateral damage.

On Oct. 16th at 10:32 a.m.MST a Boeing Phantom Works team along with members from the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Directed Energy Directorate team, and Raytheon Ktech, suppliers of the High Power Microwave source, huddled in a conference room at Hill Air Force Base and watched the history making test unfold on a television monitor.
Power is cut to a room of computers after being hit by a high-powered microwave pulse from a Counter-electronics High-powered Advanced Missile Project.
CHAMP approached its first target and fired a burst of High Power Microwaves at a two story building built on the test range. Inside rows of personal computers and electrical systems were turned on to gauge the effects of the powerful radio waves.
Seconds later the PC monitors went dark and cheers erupted in the conference room. CHAMP had successfully knocked out the computer and electrical systems in the target building. Even the television cameras set up to record the test were knocked off line without collateral damage.

LINK

edit on 30-10-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Awesome . This new weapon looks cool . In My Opinion , with this new weapon , US will win all the Future Wars .

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
On this subject and athers like it....Next time? Use the search button. FIRST.This subject discussed in many previous threads.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Very interesting. This will definately shake up the contemporary battlefield.

I see an technological arms race about to be set off to develop shielding from this weapon, if its not already been developed and implimented already.

Awesome . This new weapon looks cool . In My Opinion , with this weapon , US will win all the Future Wars .

If the US has it, i bet ya that they will sell them. WHen they sell them, intentionally or not, i bet the end user could potentially be a threat.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This kind of stuff was around in the 1980's. It was used to stop vehicles electronically; then and now.
edit on 30-10-2012 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
On this subject and athers like it....Next time? Use the search button. FIRST.This subject discussed in many previous threads.

Sorry , but i didn't find this specific news in Search Engine . If you can find , please let me know .

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

If the US has it, i bet ya that they will sell them. WHen they sell them, intentionally or not, i bet the end user could potentially be a threat.

Yep . In the end , Every country will get this technology through Black Market .

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

You are absolutely right.

When governments and terrorists start using this technology in the near future, the world will be endangered even more.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Just wait until EMP weapons get put in the hands of cops, the corruption will be uncontrollable. It's a while off, but if they can shrink these down to maybe an EMP grenade with a small radius, it will definitely be feasible to give them to cops, who can then use them to disable electronic devices such as cellphones and cameras.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
Just wait until EMP weapons get put in the hands of cops, the corruption will be uncontrollable. It's a while off, but if they can shrink these down to maybe an EMP grenade with a small radius, it will definitely be feasible to give them to cops, who can then use them to disable electronic devices such as cellphones and cameras.

The police in different areas of the US already have these and use them to stop cars they are chasing.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Im just hoping they are working two steps ahead, they are only admitting they have the technology because they have found a counter measure. Lets hope anyway.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
That's not a superweapon. If you want to talk about superweapons, how about sky-based weapons systems utilizing asteroids by attaching rockets with which to adjust their trajectory, allowing the controlling nation to send it hurtling straight into an enemy country?

It's the meteor the killed the dinosaurs - but instead, quite a bit smaller and killing a nation instead. Now THAT'S a superweapon. You can live after the shutdown of electronics. You can't live after a freakin' astroid strike. And that's just one possibility. I have no idea if they've put such an idea into effect, but THAT'S what a superweapon looks like. A weapon that's capable of literally annihilating a small country with utter impunity.

Now if you'll excuse me - I have Homeland Security at my door. I don't know if it's even a viable idea, but maybe that doesn't matter.

edit on 30-10-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
That's not a superweapon. If you want to talk about superweapons, how about sky-based weapons systems utilizing asteroids by attaching rockets with which to adjust their trajectory, allowing the controlling nation to send it hurtling straight into an enemy country?

It's the meteor the killed the dinosaurs - but instead, quite a bit smaller and killing a nation instead. Now THAT'S a superweapon. You can live after the shutdown of electronics. You can't live after a freakin' astroid strike. And that's just one possibility. I have no idea if they've put such an idea into effect, but THAT'S what a superweapon looks like. A weapon that's capable of literally annihilating a small country with utter impunity.

Now if you'll excuse me - I have Homeland Security at my door.

Actually it can be used for a superweapon or you wouldn't be seeing it mounted on cruise missiles taking out specific targets by the use of GPS.

As to your dream about adjusting asteroids to strike specific targets, what a waste of money... In the first place you probably couldn't slow down an asteroid that was big enough to do some serious damage. Secondly how would you target an asteroid to strike somewhere on Earth if your target for it to strike was on the other side of the Earth, especially if the asteroid is coming in upto 100,000 miles per hour in velocity?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Well... the home hobbyist could with a little effort build a portable one of these housed in a backpack with the wires running up his sleeve. Then casually EMP an ATM by touch whilst walking by...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
here is a picture of the computers they disabled ...

they probably bought a pallet full of these older units from an electronic recycling center.
it was not indicated that the weapon's effects were tested on better, 'hardened' electronics, such as the military uses.
also, the missle hit 7 seperate targets without it's own systems being affected.

it looks to me that the intended use[victims] of the weapon would be civilians[that's us]

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

No thats an image from an older test. The new test is still classified.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

New Superweapon: U.S. Missile EMP Burst Kills Computers And Electronics Selectively

So where exactly does an EMP device fit into your GPS-guided missile system? That's like placing a fuel supply right next to a turret. And the asteroid's trajectory can be calculated thousands of miles away from its destination. Using your line of logic, we could never have guaranteed the safety of the astronauts returning from space in a capsule that was carefully programed to enter a curve that would land them in the ocean.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Gee,this development could very well effect any "Free Thinkers",communicating and sharing ideas over their laptops and so on.

Sounds like it may even be "Non-Lethal",so it could be used domestically.

When I was in the military,I was trained in the use of high tech computers,electronic devices and what not.

But ya know what?,we almost always did things with dumb tech,the old fashioned way.

We walked,we did calculations with a pencil and paper,we navigated with a map and compass.

We learned to do stuff in the dark,and be quiet.

Like demons of old........

Sounds like a way to bring "Dark Angel" or "Revolution" into being reality.

For profit,of course.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

Very interesting find! Now that it's public, much like an other great weapons, it's only a matter of time before other developed countries are capable of creating similar devices. They can hack our systems or just copy them from what they've seen using their own ingenuity. That's more likely than the tech being sold on the black market.

reply to post by RussianScientists

I think you're getting things confused. I can't say I know of any police force in the US that has this technology. They do, however, have the capability to shut down vehicles that are equipped with OnStar.

reply to post by AfterInfinity

You've read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress too, eh? One of my most favorite books! Not asteroids, but chunks of Moon rock. Very similar concept though. I've kicked that idea around on here for years now.

reply to post by tinhattribunal

I would believe the only way to "harden" the electronics from an EMP is through the use of a Farraday Cage. Most computers, even those used by the military, are not contained in such a way. Also, I doubt insurgents or other potential countries would have the resources to do that effectivel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join