It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I have nothing against anyones race. But anything that is not equality is a crime against humanity. And freedom must be wedded with that equality. Democracy and Equality are the cornerstones of Canada.

Yes I do have a big issue with anything else sneaking in the back door.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Lets look at the introduction to this chapter.

Prey tell why in social students, children would be required to learn about the foundations of a world religion, and the religious duties of its members?

Oh my, propaganda anyone?

Why would children learn that in Social Studies? Oh, I know! Because it's Social Studies. That is what they do!

This actual brainwashing of children.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

No. No it isn't. Many Canadians have names like David and Ruth. Those names DID originate in the Middle East. Why are you so insistent to rewrite history to suit your own bias and hatred?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I remember good old social studies. I actually had the same teacher from grade 8-11. We never did get along too well. I also remember learning about a bunch of different religions, including Islam. That was back in good old 2000 too, even before 9/11. From what I remember it was purely historical. You can't just pretend that religion doesn't exist, even in a secular school. It's a part of the world and if their not teaching religious tenets than there shouldn't be a problem. It's sort of like how through much of elementary school we learned about the Greek, Roman and Egyptian gods and beliefs. I remember going into a lot more detail about that than anything else.

I would have been horrified if my parents had told me to write that ridiculous statement you want your kid to answer the test with. Also, I'm pretty sure I was never indoctrinated into any religion through highschool.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I don't like Islam and I think it's a religion that cause a lot of problems, but even I don't agree with te OP lol

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dug88
I remember good old social studies. I actually had the same teacher from grade 8-11. We never did get along too well. I also remember learning about a bunch of different religions, including Islam. That was back in good old 2000 too, even before 9/11. From what I remember it was purely historical. You can't just pretend that religion doesn't exist, even in a secular school. It's a part of the world and if their not teaching religious tenets than there shouldn't be a problem. It's sort of like how through much of elementary school we learned about the Greek, Roman and Egyptian gods and beliefs. I remember going into a lot more detail about that than anything else.

I would have been horrified if my parents had told me to write that ridiculous statement you want your kid to answer the test with. Also, I'm pretty sure I was never indoctrinated into any religion through highschool.

Same here. Granted, I am American and not Canadian, but the differences between the US and Canadian educational systems are not that great.

In elementary school, I learned about the Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and Norse gods as a part of my lessons on history.
In middle schools (grades 6-8), I learned about the history of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam as a part of my lessons on history.
In high school (grades 9-12), I learned about Buddhism and Hinduism as well.

Yet, this was all done in a historical context and I was not brainwashed to believe that any of those religions were correct.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hououinkyouma

I hate all the religion equally (well Buddhism little less) including the one i was born into, but i really hate it when one get trashed and others are glorified.

But this thread is about keeping children ignorant of other religion.

People fail to realize that exposing information doe snot equal indoctrination.

Indoctrination is when you pound the same crap again and again and tell you "or else!"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Education is education. At least Canada has excellent education that isn't afraid to dive into world history, world politics, world geography, and so on... Theology is an important part of history, in fact it created a huge part of our history even if you disagree with it. I may not be religious by any means but I understand that history was full of it and believers were everywhere.

Your argument is like preaching about abstinence instead of safe-sex in school. Kids (and I mean teenagers) will likely have sex in high-school, it's pretty normal in these new generations so abstinence isn't going to work for the majority, but safe-sex practices is a better bet.

So when you say "teach history, but only the kind that I want my children to learn" you're basically making them ignorant about what reality is like. History was made by religion, and it continues to do so today. It may not always be pretty and sure, not all of us really like it but it happened and it will continue to happen. So when you go to school and "CAIN" the principle, you'll just look like an idiot complaining about history. Take your fingers out of your ears and let your kid(s) learn facts of history.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
On page 112, they have a how to on writing a letter to the editor of newspapers and magazines on the Middle East, and give opinions on what should be done. This is apparently a possible assignment.

This part isn't as bad, nor their info on the modern Israel/Palestine or Gulf War, its more balanced. But the indepth history and slant with words like wonderful, the (may God be with us) and issues on their misogyny, are unbelievable. And I have no idea why in history they would be learning about the foundations of Islam starting from page 116.

This is mythology and Muhammad's existence is a belief, not a fact.

Why would Canadian students be learning about te Qur'an tradition and law?

Or the Five Pillars of faith.

p. 117, they are telling children in school that repeating this phrase

"There is no God but God and he has no partners" makes a person a Muslim.

Good thing I teach my Kids that names in religions for God, are usually coded and that we have a Family of Love and Goodness, Mom and Dad, and Family that watch over us in earth tests. And that even the english language is coded, so naming anything related to demigods of old and Saturn is not the right thing to do. I get them meditate and pray, but not to the traps baited with cheese.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm not exactly against religion as I follow Buddhism and Shinto. I have my reasons to not like Islam but that's off topic.

I agree children have to learn about religions. It's not indoctrination, just informative and helps to understandthe world.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Most important Jewish book: Torah When did judaism take place: 3000 year ago. What is the Jewish books: Exodus. What did the Jews believe what God thought: that they were God's chosen people. When did Islam start: 7 century.

Now see.. if I was a parent, and my child came home and told me that, I'd say great. A few more generations like this and we won't have such religious ignorant bigotry that we do today.

how can we not learn about the past and society (it IS social studies remember) without examining what makes them tick, so to speak.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Look Unity, until you can cite the actual laws or school board regulations being violated, this is a discussion best left on this site. You have up to now refused to do so, so I'm assuming you cannot.
To bring this issue to the school board, when all you can offer are your own opinions, will indeed result in you looking foolish and/or fanatical. Whether you are right or wrong.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

reply to post by rhinoceros

Did the word wonderful escape your attention....Did the words "living legacy" escape you.

Do the words found on page 124:

Compared with European society in the eighth century, Arab civilization was refined and wealthy.....

To the refined merchants and princes of the Islamic world, the Europeans seemed utterly uncivilized."

page 126

Some of PIOUS elders (may God be pleased with them) have said that a woman should leave her house on 3 occasions only: when she is conducted to the house of her bridegroom, on the deaths of her parents, and when she goes to her own grave.

Any questions?

Does it escape you that out of all of the major religions in the world Islam is one of the top contributors to science, technology, medicine, mathematics and astronomy? You right now are using a "living legacy" of Islam (the computer) because it was a Muslim who invented algorithms which are the basic processing units of a computer. Get sick? Don't go to a hospital, use medicine or get surgeries because those are "living legacies" of Islam. Better not own a telescope either for stargazing because you might encourage your son that there are positive sides to Islam or any religion for that matter.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by curiouscanadian777

I think this ship has sailed, if he's is telling the truth.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
As an atheist, I have no issue with teaching *about* religions, if it is kept strictly factual and descriptive. In fact, I am positive that learning simple facts about the absurd beliefs of worlds various religions is the surest way to atheism.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Pro Islam Childrens School Text books

A little shocking info here, world history has the 10 commandments in 50 states of the US union.

I guess you're going to find this strange when I tell you that in Canada, unless they have committed treason and done something unlawful against our constitution, we do not have any details of religions in our course material. We don't hear the words, the 10 commandments in school.

Are you understanding where I am coming from yet?

None of this, is appropriate in social studies.

Islam and the Textbooks - A Report of the American Textbook

...World History Text Books make an effort to circumvent unsavory facts that might cast Islam in anything but a positive light....

Islamic achievements are reported with ROBUST ENTHUSIASM.

I am really surprised at the posts on my thread. And hadn't realized how bad the American education system was. The only one shocked, was my friend in Australia, who had the same Secular education our country was proud of.

And then being called hate filled, put down, told you'd look foolish to speak up and make an issue of this.

You guys seem to be agents for something, or very poorly educated, and don't have a clue about how to safeguard democracies.

There are big issues, that would take many aware people to stand up against the corruption in government, that I would like to participate in, that should be being done by millions across the nation until they back off their fascist NWO plans.

However, this is a matter I can bring up, can make a difference in, on a local level, and possibly take further.

Why aren't you protecting your children and your democracies?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

What does American textbooks have to do with our education system? You do know that American textbooks also exclude any mentions of Canadian involvement in the war of 1812 and our subsequent burning down of their White House.

Post some of the excerpts from the other religions. I bet those are described in the exact same positive fashion. Go ahead, go check Buddhism and Christianity and Hinduism. I'll be waiting here.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I give up. I have tried to help you. Others have tried to help you. Yet, you insist on prattling on with your own opinions about what is or is not legal, without any evidence to back it up.

So, good luck with your pointless crusade against your local school board. If you've been able to convince many of us here that you shouldn't be taken seriously, then I'm sure you'll do the same when you go public with this.

Best of luck, and I hope you don't get laughed out of the building too badly.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

So, according to you teaching about Nazism means that teachers are supporting it and indoctrinating children?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog

What does American textbooks have to do with our education system? You do know that American textbooks also exclude any mentions of Canadian involvement in the war of 1812 and our subsequent burning down of their White House.

Post some of the excerpts from the other religions. I bet those are described in the exact same positive fashion. Go ahead, go check Buddhism and Christianity and Hinduism. I'll be waiting here.

Because we just got our social studies texts replicating this American trend, and our text books just got the Saudi Arabia "TOUCH" theirs did.

This issue happening in the US schools, is happening here.

And because GINN seems to be a tool of Saudi Arabia in our country, in North America.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

No, anyone who has gone through the education system knows our Social Studies is vastly different than American. For one thing, Canadian Social Studies focused on very international topics because *gasp* Canada is a multicultural country where everyone comes from *gasp* a different part of the world and here's the big one... different religions.

We are a country of immigrants. I don't know why you think it is so bad to know your neighbours when they are expected to know so much about you.
edit on 10/29/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join