It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

p.127.

Government was orderly but complex. Every district had a governor, and every city and town had a council. The prime minister, or wzir, was in charge of all the officials of the empire. Like other officials, the wazir was usually a civil servant who had been trained since childhood in the ways of the government.....

p. 131: SUMMARY:

Islam is one of the world's great religioins. It fostered a wonderful civilization within a short space f time. Within a few hundred years, and in spite of civil wars, assassinations, and rebellions, Muslims ruled from Spain to India. Wherever the warriors of Islam travelled, Arabic and Arab vlaues were introduced to local populations who, in turn, added their own customs and was.......

During the European Middle Ages, Islamic cities were splendid, both admired and envied by the Christian nobles and monarchs....

Islam is still a major force in the world today. Millions of people all over the world are pracitising Muslims---a living legacy of more than 1400 years of history.....

Oh and the lucky lucky brainwashed children get to prepare two meals from a list: hommous, falafel, tabouli, fattoush, etc etc.

edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think the point many people are missing here?

Unity99 is a mother who CARES what her children are taught and she DEMANDS the truth!!!

How about we give her a HUGE round of applause for being a real parent instead of beating her down?

Cause you know what? If there was a 8th grade teacher in 'their country' teaching the 'social studies' about CHRIST? Oh wait? Silly me! THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN WOULD IT?

So how about ATS take a stand FOR one of the last remaining parents who CARES - because WE NEED MORE LIKE UNITY99!!!

That being said - IF your child's teacher was including the complete story of 'muhammad' - I wouldn't mind so much - as he was nothing but a pedophile and a big fat pig licking cretin. And I can say that cause it's my opinion, he's dead, he's not on ATS and he isn't running for office! Oh yeah, and because he was a pedophile and that's the TRUTH!

Oh, and Unity99? All it would take is telling most kids moo-ham-mad wouldn't eat bacon and that's all it would take for them to shake their heads at that idiot cause we all know BACON RULES!

Unity99 please forgive the last sentence - my lame attempt at lightening things up a bit - I was only trying to give you a great big SMILE! Hang in there! I'm so proud of you!

peace
edit on 29-10-2012 by silo13 because: toned it down just a bit, lol

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

p.127.

Government was orderly but complex. Every district had a governor, and every city and town had a council. The prime minister, or wzir, was in charge of all the officials of the empire. Like other officials, the wazir was usually a civil servant who had been trained since childhood in the ways of the government.....

p. 131: SUMMARY:

Islam is one of the world's great religioins. It fostered a wonderful civilization within a short space f time. Within a few hundred years, and in spite of civil wars, assassinations, and rebellions, Muslims ruled from Spain to India. Wherever the warriors of Islam travelled, Arabic and Arab vlaues were introduced to local populations who, in turn, added their own customs and was.......

During the European Middle Ages, Islamic cities were splendid, both admired and envied by the Christian nobles and monarchs....

Islam is still a major force in the world today. Millions of people all over the world are pracitising Muslims---a living legacy of more than 1400 years of history.....

Oh and the lucky lucky brainwashed children get to prepare two meals from a list: hommous, falafel, tabouli, fattoush, etc etc.

How is this brainwashing? You're denying the fact that the Islamic world was far more advanced than the Christian world from around 700 CE to 1400?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Wow...
OP, I understand your frustration.
In a country (I'm canuck as well) where the Lord's prayer was removed, I see no reason for any religion to be taught in a social studies classroom. That being said..before you grace the school office with guns ablazing, perhaps you should inquire about what the actual curriculum is, and whether other teachers in other schools are teaching this to their students. Make the rounds and do your homework so your argument is well prepared. If you go in their now, you sound like a person intolerant of other cultures and religions and that could open a can of worms not just for you, but for your son.

Well he may be having this exam, but I've told him I'm keeping his text today. I''m going to be taking some notes, the wording is very slanted to say the least. I woke up thinking, have I misread this, is it much more innocuous than I assumed, and started scanning the text. But its a little too Islam Friendly, with words like "wonderful empire", and in depth programming about when when women need to accompanied by men, and covered up? Its not suitable in a school setting unless you were teaching a course in law or media law, at college, and showing biased and inappropriate educational texts.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Be careful, this is a test of intellect and understanding. Re read these most critical words and slant:

Islam is one of the world's great religions. It fostered a wonderful civilization within a short space f time.

Tell me what you think about propaganda in this?

And as for in depth critical looks at forming opinions on Islam culture and the criminal treatment of women, illegal and extremely treatment of women, in a long detailed cultural history that isn't even appropriate in Canadian schools. I mean we covered Ancient Egypt and a few periods of history, but never in such a slanted sexist promotional way, when we were in school.

I just posted a crime, and you said that. Your next comment is on the line.

Some very odd comments, flying around here.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Remember to teach your kids that ignorance is bliss.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
That Ginn publishing name really alerted me:

www.meforum.org...

But the war has simply shifted to a different arena. Islamists, or those who believe that Islam is a political and religious system that must dominate all others, are focusing less on the military and more on the ideological. It turns out that Western liberal democracies can be subverted without firing a shot.

Nowhere is this more evident than in the educational realm. Islamists have taken what's come to be known as the "soft jihad" into America's classrooms and children in K-12 are the first casualties. Whether it is textbooks, curriculum, classroom exercises, film screenings, speakers or teacher training, public education in America is under assault....

Equally problematic are the textbooks used in American public schools to teach Islam or Islamic history. Organizations such as Southern California's Council on Islamic Education and Arabic World and Islamic Resources are tasked with screening and editing these textbooks for public school districts, but questions have been raised about the groups' scholarship and ideological agenda. The American Textbook Council, an organization that reviews history and social studies textbooks used in American schools, and its director, Gilbert T. Sewall, have produced a series of articles and reports on Islam textbooks and the findings are damning. They include textbooks that are factually inaccurate, misrepresent and in some cases, glorify Islam, or are hostile to other religions. While teaching students about Islam within a religious studies context may be appropriate, the purpose becomes suspect when the texts involved are compromised in this manner.

Looks like this is spreading throughout North America, and it wouldn't be happening without Government Approval.

Well we're the watchdogs for democracy. So its going to be brought out in the open.

But the forces in opposition are powerful and plenty. They include public education bureaucrats and teachers mired in naivete and political correctness, biased textbook publishers, politicized professors and other experts tasked with helping states approve textbooks, and at the top of the heap, billions of dollars in Saudi funding. These funds are pouring into the coffers of various organs that design K-12 curricula. The resultant material, not coincidentally, turns out to be inaccurate, biased and, considering the Wahhabist strain of Islam promulgated by Saudi Arabia, dangerous. And again, taxpayer dollars are involved. National Review Online contributing editor Stanley Kurtz explains :

"The United States government gives money — and a federal seal of approval — to a university Middle East Studies center. That center offers a government-approved K-12 Middle East studies curriculum to America's teachers. But in fact, that curriculum has been bought and paid for by the Saudis, who may even have trained the personnel who operate the university's outreach program. Meanwhile, the American government is asleep at the wheel — paying scant attention to how its federally mandated public outreach programs actually work. So without ever realizing it, America's taxpayers end up subsidizing — and providing official federal approval for — K-12 educational materials on the Middle East that have been created under Saudi auspices. Game, set, match: Saudis."

This is something everyone needs to become aware of. I had no idea this could even occur in Canada.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Found a video on this:

US Textbooks: Muslims Discovered America

With all the US citizens paying for military presence in the middle east, its kind of a shock that you're allowing this mis-education of your children to take place.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Be careful, this is a test of intellect and understanding. Re read these most critical words and slant:

Islam is one of the world's great religions. It fostered a wonderful civilization within a short space f time.

And as for in depth critical looks at forming opinions on Islam culture and the criminal treatment of women, illegal and extremely treatment of women, in a long detailed cultural history that isn't even appropriate in Canadian schools. I mean we covered Ancient Egypt and a few periods of history, but never in such a slanted sexist promotional way, when we were in school.

I just posted a crime, and you said that. Your next comment is on the line.

Some very odd comments, flying around here.

I wasn´t sure to reply here or not, because I think it´s a good thing to exactly monitor what your children are taught in schools these days, but I also feel you are overreacting a little. So on one hand I applaud you, but on the other I think you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

They are being taught the history and existence of the world´s major religions and there´s nothing wrong with that. As much as we may dislike any religion (I´m 100% with you on that), you cannot simply deny their existence. That way, you are acting just like extremist religious folks denying evolution.

As for the above quote: Islam was indeed a friendly religion and it made that part of the world flourish indeed. The problem is that the large cut of muslims today are overshadowed by the extreme fanatics, and that is all the MSM will show you. These days, good news isn´t news and all you see are the lunatic muslims blowing stuff up and basically you, not your children here, are the victim of propaganda and it has bent your opinion so much that you are blind to see the difference anymore. When it comes to our fellow human-beings, you and I and most other people, whether religious or not, worldwide, have been brain-washed so much (intentionally or not) that we cannot see anymore that people in themselves love other people and would not hate without reason or for the petty reasons we do nowadays.

I hope you can see that this is not a personal attack, but rather me lamenting the state of mind in most people today, including myself...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

By great religions, I assume they mean one of the biggest, which is a fact. Only Christianity has even more followers. Also, a wonderful civilization is pretty much an understatement for the Islamic Golden Age. But yeah, maybe they should have said it some other way. Perhaps: "While Christianity caused the dark ages in Europe and a thousand year halt in scientific progress, the Islamic world preserved past knowledge, and was the intellectual center of science, philosophy, medicine, art, human rights and progress." Would you be happier with that?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Cause you know what? If there was a 8th grade teacher in 'their country' teaching the 'social studies' about CHRIST? Oh wait? Silly me! THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN WOULD IT?

I always love this argument and I see it on ATS quite a bit. I love it because it implies that other countries, cultures, whatever are less because they wouldn't teach or speak about Christ or how great America is or what have you. But at the same time it implies that even though those people are jerks because they wouldn't teach our stuff, we shouldn't teach their stuff either.

And, Unity, it's clear no one's going to change your mind about this. But I have two questions:

1. How does your son feel about the lesson? Does he like learning about other cultures or does he agree with you.

2. Why are you also bothered by the fact that they'll be making middle eastern food?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
That being said - IF your child's teacher was including the complete story of 'muhammad' - I wouldn't mind so much - as he was nothing but a pedophile and a big fat pig licking cretin. And I can say that cause it's my opinion, he's dead, he's not on ATS and he isn't running for office! Oh yeah, and because he was a pedophile and that's the TRUTH!

Might have been an accepted practice in his time. When they teach about ancient Greece, should they also emphasize how pretty much all of the great philosophers were homosexual pedophiles? Cultural norms change. Future generations might find some of our practices, like e.g. eating animals, horrendous acts of barbarism..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Did the word wonderful escape your attention....Did the words "living legacy" escape you.

Do the words found on page 124:

Compared with European society in the eighth century, Arab civilization was refined and wealthy.....

To the refined merchants and princes of the Islamic world, the Europeans seemed utterly uncivilized."

page 126

Some of PIOUS elders (may God be pleased with them) have said that a woman should leave her house on 3 occasions only: when she is conducted to the house of her bridegroom, on the deaths of her parents, and when she goes to her own grave.

Any questions?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SaulGoodman

This is propaganda. They all love learning, about Japan, history, Ancient Egypt, the problem here, is this isn't education, this is soft jhad and religious studies thrown into a social studies course, its called mis education. And its illegal. This is unlawful and criminal.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

reply to post by SaulGoodman

This is propaganda. They all love learning, about Japan, history, Ancient Egypt, the problem here, is this isn't education, this is soft jhad and religious studies thrown into a social studies course, its called mis education. And its illegal. This is unlawful and criminal.
Two things for you.

1) You claim that the schools are breaking the law. Can you cite for me the relevant national, provincial, or local law they are violating?

2) What is the difference between teaching about ancient Egypt, which almost always includes a discussion of Egyptian mythology, and what they are teaching now?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I get the contempt for religion, but you need to take a step back and look at what's really being asked of your child. Do you know what causes religion to thrive? Ignorance. Informing and brainwashing are two different things, and in this case I think the school is just informing your kid, not trying to brainwash him.

It's good to have knowledge of the backgrounds of various religions because it allows you to ask critical and informed questions regarding the validity of a religion. If your kid doesn't learn of different religions, he will be more likely to fall pray to the epidemic of religious superstition.

Anyways, try to see the bigger picture; you're complaining about a non-issue. Knowledge is knowledge and children are sponges; you don't want to establish the idea that your child is not allowed to learn about something because you disapprove of it.

Worst case scenario you homeschool your kid, no reason to be a drama queen.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My mother was horrified, at both this Islamic text, but also that we seem to have lost our Canadian content education and now have a US watered down one, so I see 2 crimes here. Our Canadian content education system was of quite high standing. Not interested in following US anywhere, there's is not a role model of any kind.

My mother said, this is horrendous and obscene. She was shocked with the quotes I read out to her. She said it a good thing I am planning on speaking up about this, someone should, and agreed its a criminal text.

Gotta love these words in a Social studies book:

(may God be pleased with them)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would tend to agree with the posters who said you should probably look into home schooling.
No curriculum is going to teach what you approve of, and if it did, other parents would disapprove. I do think, and it sounds like you do, that schools are indoctrination centers more than anything else.
However, I do think that learning about other religions, especially Judaism and Islam, is particularly important today considering the wars that are being fought right now, using our money and our citizens lives, perhaps one day even your son's. Especially when the US and Canadian govt's talk all day long about who loves and stands for Israel more, y'know? (I don't think that's going to change any time soon.) If it were up to our govt and media, and most schools for that matter, we would know nothing about what is being done to the Palestinians, again with our money and tacit approval. (just as one example).
The fact is much of what we learned is lies, without putting religion into the equation at all. I was quite disillusioned when I realized this. The United Nations are the good guys, Canadians are peace keepers, government exists to serve us, the police are there to protect us, the war on drugs is just and right, the war on terrorism is just and right...on and on, right?
It might be argued that some of these things are 'supposed' to be so, but is that the reality?

As George Carlin said:

"The real owners of this country are the big wealthy business interests that control things and make all the important decisions. Forget the politicians, they're an irrelevancy. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They've long since bought and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the statehouses, the city halls. They've got the judges in their back pockets. And they own all the big media companies, so that they control just about all of the news and information you hear. They've got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every year lobbying ­ lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want; they want more for themselves and less for everybody else.
But I'll tell you what they don't want. They don't want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don't want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking. They're not interested in that. That doesn't help them. That's against their interests. They don't want people who are smart enough to sit around the kitchen table and figure out how badly they're getting #ed by a system that threw them overboard 30 #ing years ago.
You know what they want? Obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork but just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly #tier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, reduced benefits, the end of overtime and the vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it. And, now, they're coming for your Social Security. They want your #ing retirement money. They want it back, so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street. And you know something? They'll get it. They'll get it all, sooner or later, because they own this #ing place. It's a big club, and you ain't in it. You and I are not in the big club...That's why they call it The American Dream, you have to be asleep to believe it."

And, on politicians using the term 'average american' as in "sending our troops to places the average american couldn't pronounce or find on a map":

"I've always thought it was funny for a politician to go out of his way to point out the low level of American intelligence, when indeed his very job depends upon it"

Word.

edit on 29-10-2012 by curiouscanadian777 because: correction

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by curiouscanadian777

My youngest home schools, but cannot wait to reach middle school next year, its his carrot to have 2 years mixed into one, with the school's approval, and my father is his teacher.

But you know, this isn't about my 5 children, my sons. They're already out of box thinkers, and openly express whatever they wish. We always express many thoughts and opinions, and I encourage their contribution. They're all, but one, conspiracy theorists in their own right and its my grade eight student who noted masonic symbols on some company vehicles all on his own. In fact he seems to have an eye for symbols, and can read them faster than I can at times.

However, this is about Canadian Education. We the people ARE THE WATCHDOGS OF OUR DEMOCRACIES. We are not to let anything slip. This one was handed to me to notice and start on. Everyone should be working on some aspect of overcoming the corruption in their systems.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

My mother was horrified, at both this Islamic text, but also that we seem to have lost our Canadian content education and now have a US watered down one, so I see 2 crimes here. Our Canadian content education system was of quite high standing. Not interested in following US anywhere, there's is not a role model of any kind.

My mother said, this is horrendous and obscene. She was shocked with the quotes I read out to her. She said it a good thing I am planning on speaking up about this, someone should, and agreed its a criminal text.

Gotta love these words in a Social studies book:

(may God be pleased with them)
You keep saying it is criminal.

Again, I ask, can you cite the national, provincial, or local law they are violating?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join