It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Well you need to take 1 french credit, whether its grade 9, 10, 11 or 12.

Off topic.

What happened to me was...

Well, its an embarrassing story but here goes...

Well my Grade 12 was in 2004... and when i was in grade 9, i had french but on the 2nd week of class, the office said i don't need it, and i never took it, and on the last semester of grade 12, after applying for university.... i get called to office and was told that i can't graduate without it. i argued with them and they won and told me to take it.

Now, my last french class was in grade 8 and now it has been 4 yrs since a single french education. and in no way or shape i could take grade 1 2french, so i had to sit with grade 9s.... my friends made fun of me for 3 months.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well maybe my teachers just didn't think it was really important then and personally I don't either. It's more important to learn about the history of like wars, economy, and technology. Religion could be studied via something else like psychology or literature...just my opinion. Truthfully I got no recollection of my teachers in history ever teaching any of these religions at all and I have a photographic memory, I learned what I know about all religions actually by my own research. It may be on our agendas but we probably don't have time to go through it. but as long as their teaching about all religions, then that's cool, bet they don't teach about paganism though. In college history I started learning about polytheism and monotheism, that's the closest to any religion stuff we learned (which already Knew from my own research). Wasn't even real in depth there either.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

School counsellors are always the best...

Kind of on topic with the thread, by the time I was in the 10/11 grades my secondary school was starting to offer alternative language courses like Japanese and Mandarin which would have been interesting to take beyond the basic French/Spanish that has been entrenched in our system.

Goes to show the only "agenda" our schools have is to try and have us as well rounded as possible.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wish my kids knew this info, instead of being portrait of hating Arabs and terrorist, nice to see both sides of the pictures

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
Well maybe my teachers just didn't think it was really important then and personally I don't either. It's more important to learn about the history of like wars, economy, and technology.

There have been many wars and political processes which you won't be able to understand without having a firm grasp of religious aspects of the period. Examples are too numerous to list here. Northern Crusades for one. Papal states. Rise of Protestantism.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Well maybe my teachers just didn't think it was really important then and personally I don't either. It's more important to learn about the history of like wars, economy, and technology.

You can't study these without the inclusion of religion. You can't teach how colonies were founded in the New World without acknowledging the reason why people left the Old World in the first place which was to escape religious persecution. Ancient economic systems were based on paying tribute to the top to please the gods and thus was the mechanism that guaranteed taxes and tributes were paid. You can't teach astronomy without acknowledging the first telescope was invented by a Muslim.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I believe that I was in the 7th or 8th grade here in the U.S. we covered this information back in the late 80's. My fundamentalist grandparents made a huge stink over it. Of course their reasoning was how dare I learn that other religions beside Christianity exist. They accused my teacher of being a Muslim and embarrassed me to tears. I had to sit outside the classroom for 3 days in a row. Everyone thought I was in trouble and I got teased over it.

The OP is setting their child up to be bullied if other students hear about it.

The school is not teaching "religion," they are teaching that other people have religious beliefs. Huge difference.

Teaching children that different belief systems exist does not fall under separation of church and state. Promoting a certain religion does and that is not what is happening.

Teaching kids that the Muslims believe that Mohamed was a Prophet in no different than teaching them that the Greeks believed that Zeus existed.

It would be a problem only of they were being taught that Mohamed IS a prophet of god, just like it would be a problem if they were taught Zeus does exist.
edit on 29-10-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'm fine with him not being taught that stuff.

As long as he's not taught about a zombie called Jesus as well.

Or is that unacceptable? And if it is...why?

Actually... don't teach kids any religion at all. Just let them be kids and not pollute their minds any more.

"Social Studies" - does suggest learning about the world though. Last time I checked religion was a big part of it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Students are still erroneously taught that Newton got into the study of physics because an apple fell on this head.

False.

Newton studied physics to try and prove the existence of God.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Religion exist in the world.

Kids should learn what the major religions are and what they believe, these are called facts, things all school kids should learn.

I don't understand your beef.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
In highschool here in New Zealand back in the mid to early 90's a small part of our social studies was based on maori beliefs and practices (personally it bores the crud out of me) and i dont think any one minded, if someone did there would have been a real hullabaloo id say. Social studies is exactly that id have thought its looking at other cultures as well as a development of your own and religion plays a part in all of that.

The Wiki deffinition starts...

Social studies is the "integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence," as defined by the United States Americans National Council for the Social Studies.[1] Social studies is most commonly recognized as the name of a course or set of courses taught in primary, middle and secondary schools, but may also refer to the study of aspects of human society at certain post-secondary and tertiary schools around the globe

And social sciences is defined as...

Social science refers to the academic disciplines concerned with society and human behavior.[1] "Social science" is commonly used as an umbrella term to refer to anthropology, archaeology, criminology, economics, education, history, linguistics, communication studies, political science, international relations, sociology, geography, and psychology, and includes elements of other fields as well, such as law and social work.

I dont see how a single test or class on various world religions that define the currently world would breach those deffinitions.

Its odd though seeing some one like Unity 99 posting this since given some if not all the down right crazily bizarre stuff she (that small revelation caught my eye, always thought they where a he myself) seems to profoundly believes in and post about on this site, id have thought they'd have had alot more tolerance to something as mundane as what they're complaining about.

Havent read the thread fully but what would Unity99 think if they did a test on some religion less 'god' referencing or tied to the current world state like, Buddhism for instance? Would such a stink be made?

At least their children are learning about something. Knowledge is after all a good thing... which id have thought Unity99 would have espoused.
edit on 29-10-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Apparently Canadians are bitter when given children a true scholar education

link   

Well maybe my teachers just didn't think it was really important then and personally I don't either. It's more important to learn about the history of like wars, economy, and technology. Religion could be studied via something else like psychology or literature...just my opinion. Truthfully I got no recollection of my teachers in history ever teaching any of these religions at all and I have a photographic memory, I learned what I know about all religions actually by my own research. It may be on our agendas but we probably don't have time to go through it. but as long as their teaching about all religions, then that's cool, bet they don't teach about paganism though. In college history I started learning about polytheism and monotheism, that's the closest to any religion stuff we learned (which already Knew from my own research). Wasn't even real in depth there either.

Its not legally a part of our eductation system. We don't mention God or indepth studies on Islam or even what was mentioned in the Amercia Video, on this issue, the 10 commandments, in school. If you want to take religious studies in college, they do exist. And if you wish to attend a church or take up personal spiritual practices, its not done in the school system.

Thank you so much for your posts by the way. The sane ones are few and far between. The rest I no longer consider ordinary posters. ATS and online forum are about more awake individuals, not less. And lately so many are revealing they seem to not be wide awake, they seem to support fasicsm and takeovers, which is what I consider this change in education to be.

The video's I posted and the link to this Saudi Arabia publishing group seems to be tied into the UN.

What bothered me is 2 fold:

1. The soft pedalling theocracy issues in a secular education, which has nothing to do with these issues.

and

2. A weird strange merging of Canadian educational material, with American, ie, a north american zone, not distinct countries, something like that under the surface of this whole thing is really bugging me, it was this subtle feeling of a loss of Canadian content and education that really bothered me. It was hard to put into words until I saw that video, but now I can, this is the best words for it. Seems to be a UN agenda to overtake our education system with a propaganda campaign.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

link   

Well regardless of the latest hocus pocus new-age bull#erry you're feeding your kids, they still need to have a good grasp to be able to understand basic concepts behind other people's beliefs because it is such a huge part of our society. Suck it up, you can indoctrinate them with what YOU think is right when they get home.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I'm in full agreement with you.

One cannot have their cake and eat it too. You simply cannot hand-pick what religions you want your child to be taught in a public education system.

The OP smacks of well-disguised racism and bigotry, as well as being a hypocrite.

As a student of History, I can tell you right now that religions over the ages have steered the course of civilizations.

I would like the OP to describe their understanding of the Crusades, and how they would like their child to be taught about them?

I also agree with another member that mentioned the emotional impact having a parent like you could do.

Look, being a kid isn't easy these days. Why make it miserable because *you* have this twisted notion in your brain that learning about other religions somehow will "taint" or "poison" your child?

If you have raised your kiddo correctly, nothing should be able to shake their moral foundations.

It sounds like maybe subconciously you doubt your ability to indoctrinate your child with your world view.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Schools are secular. What we were taught in social studies was maps, world geography, and natives, Canadian content, and alot about World Wars.

Relgious mythology mumbo jumbo that is not even proven to exist is not appropriate in a secular constitutionally protected Modern and should SPACE AGE education.

And I am very angry.

I'm sorry to disagree but Religion is a MASSIVE part of human history and is still engrained within our society today. I remember when I was in school we learned about everything from Christianity to Taoism... I see nothing wrong with this...

I understand the Athiest agenda to wipe Religion from the face of the earth.. What I do not understand is why they are so gung ho about completely eliminating it from our history. You cannot change history no matter how much you would like to. To do so would make you largely part of the problem.

The Definition of "Social Studies" is : Various aspects or branches of the study of human society, considered as an educational discipline.

Now I don't know when you were born or on what hour, but I must respectfully inform you that as long as any religion is a part of human society it will be covered as it should be. I am certain that Judiasm is not the only religion that is covered by his class. I'm sure Buddhism and Hindu at least will be covered as well as (god forbid) Christianity. They will all be covered as they should..

It's not pushing religion on your children, it is informing them of the structure of society and its contents.

Another problem I have... Why would you be against a school teaching your children about the beliefs of others? Don't you think that might assert a level of tolerance that could not be gained otherwise? Perhaps you would prefer your child remained ignorant of what others believe.. Perhaps you want to hinder them from being able to make the decision for themselves?

One last issue.. Does it not bother you the utter and total embarrassment of you barging into his school and raising hell.. It will be the talk of the whole place in minutes.. How will he show is face again? Trust me when I say he will never live it down.

How is the principal going to react to this? He associates your son with you.. If he hates you what do you think he will think of your son? I see a fatwa already.. All your actions will do is make your son's life harder. Perhaps you could take the high road and approach this like an adult instead of a temper tantrum?
edit on 29-10-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

After reading the rest of your replies in this thread, I just feel bad for your son.

Think of your son before raging into the school like an illogical hate monger.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Does anyone here know why history or the study of history was founded? It was a method of legitimatizing a leader's position of power through a divine source. Kings, emperors, pharaohs all ascertained and maintained their power by making claims of being the ones closest to God(s).

Are those excerpts coming OP? I'm really curious to see what your son's textbook has to say about Hinduism and Christianity.
edit on 10/29/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Most important Jewish book: Torah

When did judaism take place: 3000 year ago.

What is the Jewish books: Exodus.

What did the Jews believe what God thought: that they were God's chosen people.

When did Islam start: 7 century.

Apparently my son is being tested tomorrow in social studies. And these are study notes. And I'm going to go to the school and make an appointment with the principal and raise CAIN.

umm whats the problem exactly? you want your son to be stupid? knowledge is power,,,

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberLegit

Well regardless of the latest hocus pocus new-age bull#erry you're feeding your kids, they still need to have a good grasp to be able to understand basic concepts behind other people's beliefs because it is such a huge part of our society. Suck it up, you can indoctrinate them with what YOU think is right when they get home.

Actually they don't need any details of anyones religion in school. PERIOD. And they have equal voices in my household, not for schedules or all behavior, but for thoughts and insights and they've seen with their own eyes things you can't imagine, so they're not exactly asleep at the wheel.

However, school is a place that upholds the laws, culture and expectations of Canadian Democratic Society and should be emphacizing the Canadian Constitution, intrinsic equality and demonstrating inequality and crimes against humanity of which unfortunately, Islam/Sharia would be a perfect example. And of course this wouldn't be Canadians fault, its really in the hands of Muslims to grow up and become equal free people, but thus far, the shoe fits, and inequality of women is not ever to be tolerated in our school systems nor details and practice of world religions.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join