It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

TWO WORDS: SOCIAL STUDIES...

Wow are you even listening to yourself?

One day your son might end up working along side a Christian or a Muslim.. but you're right.

Your son should not be able to learn anything other than what you tell him.
edit on 29-10-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
One thing I never got is how people are so adverse to being in the company of something they don't agree with.

Are they scared?

Being a well-rounded, educated and productive member of society means being able to tollerate and have an understanding of world views that are not your own.

Only a fool refuses to put themselves in other's shoes. Only a fool refuses to have a basic understanding of the people they disagree with.

I am more atheist than anything, and I have no problem learning about how religions have risen/fallen and their impact on the world through history.

I think that we need to leave our religious predjudices and influences at the door in terms of governing bodies and politics.

The course material your kid is learning is not some disguised form of indoctrination or brain washing. I don't think you have to worry that your kid will come home with a prayer mat anytime soon.

As someone who has many teachers my family, you are the type that gets ridiculed and laughed at the most over dinner.
edit on 29-10-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MonkeyFishFrog
Does anyone here know why history or the study of history was founded? It was a method of legitimatizing a leader's position of power through a divine source. Kings, emperors, pharaohs all ascertained and maintained their power by making claims of being the ones closest to God(s

Do you have a source for that claim?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I'm fine with him not being taught that stuff.

As long as he's not taught about a zombie called Jesus as well.

Or is that unacceptable? And if it is...why?

Actually... don't teach kids any religion at all. Just let them be kids and not pollute their minds any more.

"Social Studies" - does suggest learning about the world though. Last time I checked religion was a big part of it.

I agree, there never has been any mention of God, Jesus, or any religion in public schools up until this moment, and that is way it needs to stay.

Thank you for your sane and rational post.

edit to add: though now I would be more a msytic Christian, noting essene roots in all of that, and metaphor, nonetheless was a Catholic, then an Anglican for many years, and during my older childrens school years and would never support Christian education or any religious mumbo jumbo in school, for that is not freedom and democracy, that is theocracy, and theocracy is fascism.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

See, all I'm getting out your thread and your posts is that you seem to be particularly biased against Islam/Muslims (and maybe one or two posts about Judaism).

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by neformore
I'm fine with him not being taught that stuff.

As long as he's not taught about a zombie called Jesus as well.

Or is that unacceptable? And if it is...why?

Actually... don't teach kids any religion at all. Just let them be kids and not pollute their minds any more.

"Social Studies" - does suggest learning about the world though. Last time I checked religion was a big part of it.

I agree, there never has been any mention of God, Jesus, or any religion in public schools up until this moment, and that is way it needs to stay.

Thank you for your sane and rational post.

Sorry, hate to keep correcting you but you keep making these sweeping generalizations that are wrong. My mom was born in the 1960s and she remembers reciting the Lord's Prayer in school. I was in a BC secondary school within the last decade and we were taught facts about world religions and Jesus was mentioned quite a few times.
edit on 10/29/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I think its time to bring up an issue that shouldn't even be one, because most people I know get this. The politically correct push to accept criminal and abusive cultures as equal or on par with our own.

Racism means having prejudice against a skin color or body suit.

ISMS are thoughts, opinions, modes, cultures, political systems, economic systems and religions. They are programming. They are not body suits.

And I have quite a lot of prejudice against most things that fall into this category. And so should you. For earth is a testing ground and you're supposed to be waking up, growing up, growing love and equality in your hearts, seeing through all the BS and denouncing and renouncing it, and making a difference in the world by feeding the poor, being kind and yet standing up against all the corruption your governments allow. Such as this one.

did you actually read what you wrote? growing love and EQUALITY in your hearts.. as long as everyone agrees with you and your way of things? HOW IS THAT LOVE AND EQUALITY?? you have proven to me how incredibly insane you are over the past 2 days with your post... good luck.. your poor son.. hopefully he'll still be able to show his face at school...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

CORRECT

No Hockey seriously has me down!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

See, all I'm getting out your thread and your posts is that you seem to be particularly biased against Islam/Muslims (and maybe one or two posts about Judaism).

This is the only group that is being presented in depth, in a glowing way, in this text, so I'm sorry they're getting targeted. But then again, maybe I'm not sorry, if more were being distorted, and the whole year in full was taken up with inappropriate theocracy distortions, of not just this group but others, I'd be extremely physically ill right now. This is the issue that is on the plate, regarding this group. And I am not going to apologize for having extreme prejudice against any ISM (opinion, culture, political or economic stripe) that promotes crimes and harms people: women, children, fascism, religious courts, brutal punishments, burqua's and child marriages. Those are crimes in our country. Well they havn't made burqa's a crime yet, but anyone trying to force anyone in one would be. And honor killings to punish those not in them would be as well.

link   

In Ancient world history I learned about Taoism, Buddhism, Hindu, Judiasm and Christianity..

How is he supposed to learn about the roman empire? Most of their motivations were christian.

Perhaps he should remain ignorant of the protestant reformation which means he will not be able to touch American history either since the colonies were a direct result.

Perhaps he should remain ignorant of the Crusades and forget the lives that were loss and the lesson that is learned by members of all faiths.

He should never learn of the history of Asia as well as they are riddled with talk of Krishna and Buddha..

MOST OF ALL.. Perhaps he should remain ignorant of people that are different from him, knowing nothing of their background or society as it is inferior to yours.

This is why after all they teach you about others religions in the first place

link   

Do you really know what Canadian Democratic Society means?

BTW, you clearly don`t have any good arguments, since you are answering the same thing to all the questions raised to you. Try to make a better point if you really want to keep this up.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by swoopaloop

HM...well hockey games are still going on up here...not NHL (we don't have a team) ... but we are getting lots of players from the NHL.

Might be time to look into the ECHL and WCHL!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

This is the only group that is being presented in depth, in a glowing way, in this text, so I'm sorry they're getting targeted. But then again, maybe I'm not sorry, if more were being distorted, and the whole year in full was taken up with inappropriate theocracy distortions, of not just this group but others, I'd be extremely physically ill right now. This is the issue that is on the plate, regarding this group. And I am not going to apologize for having extreme prejudice against any ISM (opinion, culture, political or economic stripe) that promotes crimes and harms people: women, children, fascism, religious courts, brutal punishments, burqua's and child marriages. Those are crimes in our country. Well they havn't made burqa's a crime yet, but anyone trying to force anyone in one would be. And honor killings to punish those not in them would be as well.

Then post excerpts from the other religions. If you are claiming bias (positive or negative) than you have to back it up with something to compare/contrast to. Because you only post the parts about Islam and refuse to post any of the other sections, I'm inclined to believe you are seeing what you want to see and nothing more. I have asked you several times to do this because I will readily agree with you that the textbook is biased if it describes other religions in a poor or negative fashion.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Finnish SM-Liiga broadcasts some games online on their website too, that`s a nice league to watch.

I know, off topic lol

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Sorry I guess caps will express something:

THIS ISN'T ABOUT ONE CULTURE THAT IS KNOWN FOR ABUSE OF ITS WOMEN AND CHILDREN. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY HUGE ISSUE OF A DEMOCRATIC NATIONS EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM BEING HIJACKED AND DISTORTED BY A THEOCRACY APPARENTLY ON AGENDA BY THE UN. AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M INTOLERANT OF THIS AND ANYONE WHO IS NOT IS BETRAYING THEIR CHILDREN AND THEIR FREEDOM.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I am 30, in 8th grade social studies class we learned in depth about catholic, christian, jewish, muslim, budhism and hinduism. They are important parts of history, even if you don't believe in the religions...... They are a huge part of how the civilizations developed. They shaped a lot of the laws for one example.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but unless the kids are forced to participate in ceremonies or something, I don't see what the uproar is about.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Op, have you noticed most of the people on this thread don't agree with you?

I am a little concerned that you seem to be the minority in your belief concerning religious teaching as history wrong, and expect others to go without it because you think it uneccessary and "illegal". You are entitled to your belief, but don't expect others to go without this curriculum because you think it is wrong. This reminds me of how some schools won't serve peanut butter sandwiches now because one mother has a child with peanut allergies out of a school of 500 kids who don't, and the mother went ballistic forcing the school to change food policy. Crazy.

Your business how you believe, and clearly, the answer is for you to homeschool as others have mentioned. And, by the way, calling out and criticizing those who don't believe as you do, is not the best way to maintain credibility when arguing.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
THE ISSUE IS NOT WHICH CULTURE IS DOING THIS, ITS THAT THIS IS OUR DEMOCRATIC SECULAR EDUCATION AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT GOING TO CONTINUE.

IT IS FRAUD AND EMBEZZLEMENT TO MISUSE PUBLIC FUNDS FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION OR ANY OTHER INSTITUTION OF OUR COUNTRY TO MISLEED, DISINFORM, OR LIE TO CHILDREN OR CITIZENS.

IT IS TREASON TO SELL OUT OUR DEMOCRACY TO THEOCRACY.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

And of course this wouldn't be Canadians fault, its really in the hands of Muslims to grow up and become equal free people, but thus far, the shoe fits, and inequality of women is not ever to be tolerated in our school systems nor details and practice of world religions.

And I think this might be all the reason for the fuss... being a woman, Unity99 obviously has a blanket dislike for Islam due to their rather server (in todays world) gender inequality. So deep down its not really about religion then?.. simply a culture that offends you as a woman being given the time of day within a school curriculum.

So its for them to grow up, im assuming to our level of cultural maturity, and at the same time we need to ban the "details and practices" of such people from our children?.. which id then say, whos still gotta grow up a little more as well then?

Their guns and stones may break our bones, but learning about some other culture never ever really hurt us...

IT IS TREASON TO SELL OUT OUR DEMOCRACY TO THEOCRACY.

How is learning facts about another cultures religious belief selling out to theocracy or treason? the shear irrationality of that last post is mind boggling, and shouting louder doesnt win arguments... You really need to take your signature to heart on this since all your doing in the eyes of most of us is just digging that well even deeper.
edit on 29-10-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

THE ISSUE IS NOT WHICH CULTURE IS DOING THIS, ITS THAT THIS IS OUR DEMOCRATIC SECULAR EDUCATION AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT GOING TO CONTINUE.

No it should continue. Your child needs to learn about other people.. He needs to learn more than just what mommy and daddy tell him to.

The purpose of getting an eduction is to learn about the world around you. Religion is part of the world around you, it exists whether you like it or not and it's not going anywhere any time soon. As long as this is the case it is Relevant to a Social Studies class..

Religion is part of history whether you like it or not also. I would read my last few posts instead of ignoring me because yes I am right and you are ..... not.

They aren't brainwashing him. They are telling him what they believe.. He'll also learn about what a dozen other religions believe, how they played a part in our history and how they play a role in society today..

WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT?!

So far, from what I'm seeing you are worse than the most zealous of theists...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join