It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Grade Eight Social Studies: Who Is The Prophet Of Muslims?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Sorry I guess caps will express something:

THIS ISN'T ABOUT ONE CULTURE THAT IS KNOWN FOR ABUSE OF ITS WOMEN AND CHILDREN. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY HUGE ISSUE OF A DEMOCRATIC NATIONS EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM BEING HIJACKED AND DISTORTED BY A THEOCRACY APPARENTLY ON AGENDA BY THE UN. AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M INTOLERANT OF THIS AND ANYONE WHO IS NOT IS BETRAYING THEIR CHILDREN AND THEIR FREEDOM.
This post, right here, sums up why you should never be taken seriously. In fact, I would argue that this posts shows exactly why YOU are more dangerous than those you are fighting against here.

What you have said is, in essence, this: "I think this issue is wrong. If you don't, you are a bad parent who is betraying and selling out your children" Guess what, sweetheart? You wouldn't stand for someone saying this to you, so what give you the moral gravitas to say it about others?

Your "all caps" rant just shows how hypocritical you are. You rant and rail against those with opposing beliefs, screaming about equality and democracy (without understanding what those terms actually mean), and yet say that those who don't kowtow to your way of thinking are bad parents and are betraying their children. You don't want others enforcing what you think is their morality on to you, but you seem to have no problems enforcing your morality on to others.

Pot, meet kettle.
edit on 10/29/2012 by Koros because: (no reason given)

link   
You are correct on that, caps lock shows something....that you are an uneducated, classless and aggressive person.

link   

THE ISSUE IS NOT WHICH CULTURE IS DOING THIS, ITS THAT THIS IS OUR DEMOCRATIC SECULAR EDUCATION AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT GOING TO CONTINUE.

IT IS FRAUD AND EMBEZZLEMENT TO MISUSE PUBLIC FUNDS FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION OR ANY OTHER INSTITUTION OF OUR COUNTRY TO MISLEED, DISINFORM, OR LIE TO CHILDREN OR CITIZENS.

IT IS TREASON TO SELL OUT OUR DEMOCRACY TO THEOCRACY.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

hahha
umm wow.. you really have no clue do you..? please do tell us when the teacher and principle laugh and banish you outta the school.. oh take pics.. i wanna see their faces when you confront them with that little tidbit..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticagnostic

THE ISSUE IS NOT WHICH CULTURE IS DOING THIS, ITS THAT THIS IS OUR DEMOCRATIC SECULAR EDUCATION AND THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND NOT GOING TO CONTINUE.

IT IS FRAUD AND EMBEZZLEMENT TO MISUSE PUBLIC FUNDS FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION OR ANY OTHER INSTITUTION OF OUR COUNTRY TO MISLEED, DISINFORM, OR LIE TO CHILDREN OR CITIZENS.

IT IS TREASON TO SELL OUT OUR DEMOCRACY TO THEOCRACY.

hahha
umm wow.. you really have no clue do you..? please do tell us when the teacher and principle laugh and banish you outta the school.. oh take pics.. i wanna see their faces when you confront them with that little tidbit..

I'd just give up.. they can be a bigot all they want.

Leave em to it.

I bet the OP doesn't want them to learn about black history or the holocaust either.
edit on 29-10-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Sorry I guess caps will express something:

THIS ISN'T ABOUT ONE CULTURE THAT IS KNOWN FOR ABUSE OF ITS WOMEN AND CHILDREN. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY HUGE ISSUE OF A DEMOCRATIC NATIONS EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM BEING HIJACKED AND DISTORTED BY A THEOCRACY APPARENTLY ON AGENDA BY THE UN. AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'M INTOLERANT OF THIS AND ANYONE WHO IS NOT IS BETRAYING THEIR CHILDREN AND THEIR FREEDOM.

Caplocks does nothing to emphasize your point but does show me that you are unreasonable on this topic. It is evident by the fact that you want to eliminate one of the biggest and most influential social process from a Social Studies class that you understand very little of what a S.S class curriculum should look like. No society has ever been totally free from religion nor any institution. Do you know who were the first ones to offer public education? Churches.

Like I said, I will be willing to reconsider your argument if, and only if, you post excerpts from the textbook and questions asked about other religions other than Islam. But I can pretty much take a shot in the dark and say that the same tone used to describe Islam was used to describe Christianity and Hinduism and Sikhism and Buddhism.

If I were you, which gladly I am not, I would take the advice of some of the posters here and home school your kid. If you don't agree with the education system, remove your kid from it, but don't you dare let your personal beliefs deprive my future kids of having an equitable and inclusive education.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Tolerance is of social issues, homeless, those in need, it has nothing to do with teaching religious mumbo jumbo in history.

Tolerance must extend in many directions.

There are occasions where militant atheists are their own worst enemies, this is one of them. And I'm an atheist.

Historical context about the various religions is important for a well-rounded, well-educated person... regardless of their personal beliefs.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
To my understanding, social studies is the study of aspects of human society. Whether you agree with religion or not, religion is an integral part of societies throughout the world. How can one understand the many societal aspects of Saudi Arabia without understanding at least what Islam is and teaches? Much in the same way, how can truly learn how America came to be, and its foundations, withought understanding the Christian and deist principles that were used to found the government of America's founders?

India has Hinduism, which is integrated into virtually every aspect of Indian society? To completely ignore the importance of religion in societies would not only be foolish but counter productive. Of course people are going to have misunderstandings about, say, Islam or Muhammed, when nobody bothers telling them what it's all about.

I not only condone this, I would seek more of it in schools. This isn't a question
about indotrination of children with religious ideologies, this is about getting a proper education. What's next? Sex has no place in school, so let's get rid of sex education and much of biology lessons dealing with reproduction. Where does it end?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Not in our school systems in in depth religious studies with cultural norms of that being expressed in glowing details in our secular (and that the only legal education there is in Canada in public schools) school system.

This is about standing up for democracy and freedom.

And religious mumbo jumbo is not facts, it is myth, and it does not belong in history equating it with truth, in any school anywhere. Using the examples given in this text that speak of God and women being accompanied, and use the word wonderful for Arabic empire, is not legal. And not standing up for democracy and children is to me criminal as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I find it funny that militant atheists don't realize they are just as extreme and illogical as religous fundamentalist.

They are one in the same, just on different ends of the spectrum.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
When I do compile my document and go in this week, I think I want to ask some questions about if there are going to be any other surprises. For example, the 10 commandments being referenced in US schools is a little alarming, so best to be upfront and ask what other criminal things they've introduced to destroy our secular education.

In addition, I think the documents should be sent to the social studies teacher, to the principal, and to every single member of our local school board and to any parents on lists that I can find, though that will take time and will need to deal with that gradually. And to the media. And to our local and regional representatives and to the minister of education.

Now, I don't know how far this rabbit hole goes, but will need to do some research on the UN's influence in our canadian content educaton.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

This is hilarious, answer me again...do you really know the meaning of Democracy and Freedom?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You make me physically ill.

Social Studies is the study of society.. Religion is part of society hence learning about people that are different from you in faith and color is MASSIVELY a part of social studies.

I understand you would like everyone to just stop believing in god.. And that's ok, but telling a school that they cannot teach students about probably the most influential part of our human history and still a defining factor in social environments is completely idiotic!

Notice how the OP is ignoring anyone with a decent argument

Oh no can't be havin those anti-athites spewing their logical conclusions when yall gotz an agenda to uphold.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Please post here what they will say of your actions.

Why don`t you try to post a complain with Ban Kimoon and maybe the Intergalactic League, I think they can do something.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The issue of tolerance, its a little surprising to me this is being used inappropriately. Tolerance of anothers free will, freedom, differences, expression, nature, should be very prevalent. But tolerance of criminal norms and customs, such as inequality fasicism, theocracy, child abuse, sexual abuse of children, a huge enormous lists of what is a crime not only in all first world nations, and democratic nations, but in the hearts of many as well, is actually not something anyone should ever have and in fact, if you turn a blind's eye to this anywhere in the world you are lacking integrity. No one should ever tolerate harm to others and culture and religion is not an excuse.

Tolerance has zero to do with tolerating harm, inequality and crimes against humanity. That is just insanity.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The issue of tolerance, its a little surprising to me this is being used inappropriately. Tolerance of anothers free will, freedom, differences, expression, nature, should be very prevalent. But tolerance of criminal norms and customs, such as inequality fasicism, theocracy, child abuse, sexual abuse of children, a huge enormous lists of what is a crime not only in all first world nations, and democratic nations, but in the hearts of many as well, is actually not something anyone should ever have and in fact, if you turn a blind's eye to this anywhere in the world you are lacking integrity. No one should ever tolerate harm to others and culture and religion is not an excuse.

Lol... so we should just forget about the Roman Empire... Or the Crusades.. or all of history... even how the US and Canada came to be because you don't like it.

Perhaps we should just tell our kids that the US formed due to the world's largest bake sale..

They don't need no learnins of the rest of the world..and by gosh golly gee bob they don't need no learnins of the other folks around them... that would lead to ANARCHY!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I ve read the whole thread. I can see one legit concern of the OP. There has been some cases in the US of Saudi influence on text books and its approach to ISLAM. I agree that is a concern. Islam seems to be advancing in the western world, it's basic tenants are in conflict with Western liberalism ( which by the way are primarily Judeo Christian as far as basic moralism, with some pre and post Christian Greco/Roman Influence).....and if that is the case should probably be addressed. specially the stuff that is actionable on a students part, like "dressing as a Muslim" or "mock worship rituals".

With that being said, let's get to some better points OP

1) You are going to be laughed out of that school board without some sort of statute that shows comparitave religion is not to be taught in social studies. I am not Canadian, but I can't remember basic comparitave religion concepts NOT being taught in social studies. You can't understand a people or a nation or their history and even geographic borders without understanding the areas' religion(s). I find it HIGHLY doubtful that in Canadian social studies comparitave religion study has NEVER happened before, as you claim. It's just academically dishonet, but what do I know, I am not Canadian.

2) You mentioned bringing up this thread with the school board. I WOULD REFRAIN from that. IF you do, citing a conspiracy site will not look good for you. The next issue is almost every post is pointing out fallacy in your arguments/thought process. That will look worse, when every comment here is saying the opposite of you.

3) If you press this, without proof of statue or school board by-law violation...and seem as irrational as you have, you might end up with child protective services looking end to this, especially if you start accusing the teachers, admin, or school board of a crime with no proof.

Look, I am a Christian, and i am always a bit wary when religion is taught at school....I don't want my kids being taught something wrong of false about our own beliefs. Nor do I want to mock someone else's depending on the activity. (I would be offended if the school had a fake communion, I would assume Muslims would be to if they had pretend Ramadan or whatever....those are sacred to those that beleve it) .

You also need to accept that while you may not believe in any religion. The FACT is that not only do billions around the world do, their beleif's effect their culture as it interacts with yours. It's best you and your children understand that, and to a degree what those beliefs entail so they can function in a multi cultural world. And I am not even big on "multiculturalism".

What a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, etc hold as a beleif are FACTS. The events themselves may or may not, but the fact that person A, with relgion B, beleifs in tennant C is in fact....FACT.
edit on 29-10-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma

From my point of view they are only teaching facts about the history of some religion. I don`t see a big problem there, it`s part o history too.

No its not. College religious studies, maybe. But no bible, torah, or any muslim religion material is suitable in any school system. Its not history, not even close. Its the easter bunny, but a mean psycho one, that has destroyed this world in slavery and abused so many women and children throughout history that it needs to be exposed and removed. Its not suitable in a secular education to even mention this.

AND THIS IS BEING DEALT WITH.

Studying a culture, people, or region in its historical context requires one to learn about its religion--because that's oftentimes PART of its culture. It's not pushing religion, it is showing the beliefs of the religion the the population. The study of a society and a culture encapsulates most everything about that culture, including religion, especially in a historical context.

What do you think SOCIAL studies is? A society's religions are a part of its SOCIAL structure.

Come off it, you're sounding huffy-puffy redneckish. "I don't want my kids learnin' none of that."

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As I expected you failed to answer mmy questions. Just proves that you don`t have an ideia of what you are talking about.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Lol... so we should just forget about the Roman Empire... Or the Crusades.. or all of history... even how the US and Canada came to be because you don't like it.

We're in the year 2012, but those kind of things are something taught in history. But I guess you're saying its OK to murder someone because it was done in the past. Murder is historical, so lets murder? Beause that is about how ludicrous this argument is.

Your basic argument to be intolerant of equality, is to say it was done in the past? Total lack of reasonable response.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You are completely clueless and don`t understand a thing of what people are telling or asking, I give up too. Since you are a completely irrelevant influence in any school board.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join