It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
OK so the constant reporting and albeit media hype regarding the storm is not sitting well with you. Well the so called media hypes everything now. The media is all about ratings not news anymore. Welcome to the corporate world of the media now. They are in it to make money not tell the news at all anymore. Sorry that you feel there is a ridiculous amount of hype to this storm that the weather meteorologists have no model for. If they were not proactive about warning everyone and this storm ended up killing tons of people, I bet you would be BIOTCHING about OBAMA never let people know about the storm or OBAMA did nothing or the Government let another Katrina happen, etc, etc, etc. Sorry you can not have it both ways.

edit on 10/29/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Americans have become hopelessly pussified, prone to hysteria, hype and whining. Id send the entire nation on a 1 month survival-safari in the tsunami stricken forests of Indeonesia or the war-torn jungles of congo. Then, when they come back they wont be complaining about a little bit of wind and rain.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Americans have become hopelessly pussified, prone to hysteria, hype and whining. Id send the entire nation on a 1 month survival-safari in the tsunami stricken forests of Indeonesia or the war-torn jungles of congo. Then, when they come back they wont be complaining about a little bit of wind and rain.

There'd also be a lot less come back which wouldn't hurt the nation either I imagine.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I have to agree with you on the media hype, but the MSM will be the MSM, and that's across the board. But I do have one word for you - Katrina - if there were to be any perception after the fact that we were under-prepared and under-warned, or if it actually turned out worse than expected, and thousands died, there'd be a lot of finger pointing and blaming, and probably rightfully so. You know, the whole prepare for the worst thing. I'd rather see that than a lot of senseless deaths.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I am sure if you walked into an American bar and proclaimed Americans are as you put it pussified; I will bet you would have your proverbial A$$ handed to you in short fashion. To be honest I find you generalization of all Americans typical of the hypocritical statements from most people from other nations. Americans can be hypocritical as well, but I don't make blanket statements about Brits or Australians.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

But this isn't Indonesia or the Congo. Those people rarely have early warnings for those types of events so they do have much higher incidents of deaths, and other losses from them.

I am rather appalled by some of the comments on ATS the last couple of days, and really this one smacks of that. What is wrong with people wishing suffering on anybody? Americans or otherwise?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It's been raining and winding here for 12 hours already ....
And the storm isn't even supposed to make landfall until tonight...
And the EYE isn't even supposed to pass over us until 36 hours from now ...
And this thing has bad/severe weather from Bristol TN to Boston ....
And that's a lot of people in harms way ...

This is the strangest hurricane I've ever been in.
It's freak'n COLD and RAW and MISERABLE.

Everyone needs to be prepared. There are a lot of us who need meds or special foods (autoimmune diet) that require refrigeration. There is a hell of a lot of water coming down .... and coming in .... and a lot of people in harms way.

This isn't hyped. It's a huge FRANKENSTORM ...

Humble apologies, FF. Of course the needs of many with extenuating medical issues is paramount.

I would never intend to belittle you or anyone else.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

The northeastern portion of the US was known for it's "Yankee common sense" upon a time.

Batten down the hatches, leave if you need to, always have water and supplies.

Why the run on supplies now?

People are unprepared.

We live in a "microwave" society now where what they want should be avaliable in 60 seconds or less.

People don't know hardship anymore.

The hype and hyperbole stemming from the media is probably the only way to motivate some.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This IS full media hype, over blown to the max. Strike fear into the hearts of the quivering masses, and they will rush to WallyWorld and SPEND all their money on batteries, candles, generators, etc. I'm sure sales of these type of items have skyrocketed due to all the hype. WalMart makes billions, I'm sure insurance companies are posting record volumes right now as well.

This is a garden variety Category One hurricane, which is 500 miles out in the ocean, and most likely will spin off out to sea. Just like ALL THE OTHER ONES THIS YEAR DID. Having been through over twenty hurricanes, including Andrew in Miami and Wilma in Cancun, the two strongest ever recorded, and seven times on board boats,I think I'm qualified to say this is much ado over nothing. First hurricane that has a slight possibility of making landfall this year. You might see some wind and lots of rain. Some tree branches on the road. Maybe an entire tree will even fall. Oh no. If you are not a shrimper or fisherman you will be fine.

Anyone more than a few blocks from the ocean has NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. Unless, of course, you live in an entire city that is below sea level, and the government had stopped all maintenance on levees years ago, so that they were in well known bad condition. Oh, wait.

And the comment about the rich white guys? Uh, right on the MONEY. New England is where all the rich people live, I know because I grew up there, and you better believe they will get far better and quicker response to anything. Like they always do. Maybe you've never noticed that rich neighborhoods somehow have better streets, and get the snow plowed first and better in winter storms?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, at the risk of sounding "pussified" I'd like to point out that in order to say this situation is hype you have to ignore the data. That would include this storm now ranking number 1 in the lowest pressure hurricane north of Hatteras, knocking the 1938 historic hurricane to second position.

You'd have to ignore that right now - 12 hours before the actual meat of the storm arrives - New Jersey is about to reach 50 mph sustained winds and is flooded....Connecticut, flooded....Norfolk, flooded...Delaware, flooded. New York...flooding.

So 12 hours from now, when structures have endured 12 hours of high winds and collapsed and when this storm rolls in with high tide and up to 11 foot storm surges, the efforts by the scientific community to impart warnings of the dangers that were approaching can still be called "pussified" if you want to, but you'll look pretty asswipe doing it, to be quite honest.

NOAA's not scared for themselves. They fear for their fellow citizens. My concern is not for myself (whether I was in the path or not), but for my fellow citizens.

There are elderly that are homebound that may still be in their homes if no one assisted them in evacuating. Those homes may not survive. A blizzard is predicted to couple the immense rain, so these people will be without electricity, most likely, in cold wet conditions.

Most elderly people aren't "pussified". In fact, they have endured more than the average braggert behind a keyboard. They are just old and vulnerable. Shame on NOAA for trying to let them know what was coming. Shame on us all for giving a crap.

Really, really disturbed by the attitude pervading this thread.
edit on 10-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Alright.
It is a bad storm.
Halloween is a bad time for storms on the east coast, 1991, 2011 and this year too.
Do you think that they are so out of touch as to not have taken precautions?

If something along the lines of Sandy hit the west coast* or one of our 7 - 8 earthquakes hit the east coast then 'yes' it would be a horrible, disaster.
However, they are prepped for this sort of situation, This one may be worse than last years and I don't think the majority of people on the east coast are dumb enough to fall for a Katrina like situation where they are herded into a sports arena and locked down like prisoners while their homes are looted.

*Actually I think we could weather such a storm a bit better since 95% of our above storm surge high ground starts 50- 500 yards inland and the home on the beach are insured out the ying yang.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by beezzer

Hype?

Arent you currently in the Fatherland?

Im looking at the storm and there is no hype. The water is rising every 10 minutes, Bezzer.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The surge is currently breaking records and it's going to get twice as high.

If record breaking storms dont cause hype, then what should?
Must be cozy in Deuseldorf

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It looks "average" to me, as I see in the recent doppler image.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
When numerous experts in the field of meteorology hype something up, I listen, as a non expert. I'd advise everyone else to do the same, as underhyping these storms can cost lives.

Beez, by all means, if you know something about this storm that can give credence to your downplaying of it, share it.

The experts say it can be turn out to be a historic superstorm. Is this an incorrect assessment?

My expectations are that widespread flooding will be in full effect by the week's end, as the regions affected will be unable to absorb the incoming large amounts of rainfall.
edit on 29-10-2012 by Sek82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by CALGARIAN

The doppler image isn't what comes into your living room

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ah yes--a thread dedicated to the noble act of complaining for the sake of complaining.

I would expect nothing less from ATS regulars.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Rantings from posh suburbanites in their nice dry areas who have no real clue what it is like to be inconvenienced.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Reply to post by yadda333

yes

Minimizing the storm from 4000 miles away no less.

"Cant see it from house"

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm only concerned with the flooding here on lower Delmarva.....I live in a flood plain expected to get surges up to 9ft tonight around midnight......Irene just missed flooding my laundry room, the water was up to 2ft in some areas......the storm has not hit yet and its surpassing Irene.....

Heres a pic taken a hour ago...

On a side note..us on Delmarva are virtually unimportant.....heaven forbid leaves fall off a tree in NY, NJ, MASS....its too obvious who they really give a crap about.
edit on 29-10-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

Update over hour time elapse....my mailbox underwater and my porch steps......

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join