Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 4
32
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain
 


Right, they don't have to worry if they have enough oxygen to last through a long power outage, or if trees will prevent them from going to a hospital, or how long the battery backup on their lifesustaining equipment will last.
People with sleep apnea who risk death without power.
People who can't get to the hospital if they have a severe asthma attack.
Or how to keep their diabetes medicine cool if you are out of power for weeks on end.
How to get water when it is sold out and you don't have any if you are on well.
Or if your grandmother's nursing home is being evacuated, where is she going to go?

Or single mothers like me who don't make it paycheck to paycheck, who don't have money to go stock up on supplies. So what if I can't get out of my neighborhood?

Or that people are losing work that only get paid by the hour.

But it is all just stupid hype. WHO CARES?!?
edit on 29-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)




posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Reply to post by yadda333
 


yes

Minimizing the storm from 4000 miles away no less.

"Cant see it from house"


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



I'm not belittling the potential impact, just the drama surrounding the storm.

And it's not Duseldorf.


Do waht you gotta do, but do we need and/or require the drama?



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Reply to post by nixie_nox
 


Its not even a hurricane. I dont know why people are evacuating their homes? There is only 2 feet of water in their dining room right now. Don't they know this isn't a cat. 5?


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by spinalremain
 


Right, they don't have to worry if they have enough oxygen to last through a long power outage, or if trees will prevent them from going to a hospital, or how long the battery backup on their lifesustaining equipment will last.
People with sleep apnea who risk death without power.
People who can't get to the hospital if they have a severe asthma attack.
Or how to keep their diabetes medicine cool if you are out of power for weeks on end.
How to get water when it is sold out and you don't have any if you are on well.
Or if your grandmother's nursing home is being evacuated, where is she going to go?

Or single mothers like me who don't make it paycheck to paycheck, who don't have money to go stock up on supplies. So what if I can't get out of my neighborhood?

Or that people are losing work that only get paid by the hour.

But it is all just stupid hype. WHO CARES?!?
edit on 29-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)


You're right.
I'm wrong.

Please, panic and continue with the hype.

Perhaps we can all feed the hype.




posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
People (mostly) have enough sense not to wave golf clubs in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Why is this any different?



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


What she voiced was not "panic" but concerns. Real-life concerns. I'm assuming the point of this little exercise is to impart that we all should just not give a # about anything.

You are referring to warnings, advice on preparations, and voiced concerns as "drama" and "panic", so in your world we have scientists who learn how to model storms and make fairly accurate predictions and they just keep it to themselves lest someone like you accuse them of creating "panic" and "drama".

Yeah, the results on that method would be less dramatic, now wouldn't it?



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
People (mostly) have enough sense not to wave golf clubs in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Why is this any different?


Because it's quite a big storm and there are a lot of rich, powerful people and news organisations in it's path I imagine.

edit on 29-10-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by beezzer
 


What she voiced was not "panic" but concerns. Real-life concerns. I'm assuming the point of this little exercise is to impart that we all should just not give a # about anything.

You are referring to warnings, advice on preparations, and voiced concerns as "drama" and "panic", so in your world we have scientists who learn how to model storms and make fairly accurate predictions and they just keep it to themselves lest someone like you accuse them of creating "panic" and "drama".

Yeah, the results on that method would be less dramatic, now wouldn't it?


Concerns are valid.

Hype is just that, hype.

Hype sells. Days ago they were aleady talking about billions in damage, yet not a drop was felt at the time.

Reason, common sense don't really exist anymore.

If you're in danger, leave.

I'm talking about the 24/7 Frankenstorm Doom Of The Century brought to you by Geico.



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Okay, I get it.

It's a big storm.
But we've had big storms before.

As a society, are we becoming immune to drama? Everything needs to be "hyped" now. From elections to storms. From the food we eat to celebrities wearing meat. From movies to cars, "hype" is all over the place.

God forbid we get a big winter storm in a couple of months. I don't think I could handle it after the election, Sandy, and my bunion.

We need to remind ourselves that we have "weathered" any number of storms before. After the storm hits, we dry out, make repairs and move on.

After this election, we dry out, make repairs and move on.

We don't rend shirts, gnash teeth, wail and bemoan our fates.

In the "eye" of the current "storms of destiny" I want to find a small island of rationality. I have been guilty in the past of promoting hype to push my own secular agendas.

Well, I'm pouring a nice warm cup of rationality into my mug and smoking the cigarette of sanity now.

We need to look at the actual picture and not the interpretations of the picture by others.

Or else, we might all die!!!!!!!


(mods, feel free to move this where appropriate if I chose incorrectly)


I'm also BLOWN away like you by the absolute HYPE by media and the non stop chicken littles who are afraid of water, rain, wind, etc

total BABIES

why are so many people shocked/??? we build cities and towns and homes on the water but then become babies in a storm? live in montana then. sheesh



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
99% of the world is getting by just fine right now

99% of the world has some type of bad weather on a daily basis


i got to tell you though..this storm will be good for gdp, spending, rebuilding, and jobs



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Floridians are laughing their asses off at all the drama been generated by this very minimal hurricane



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


"I can't cope with living in the information age--I'm gonna go rant on an internet forum."

-Beezer the Hypocrite



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Now who is hyping? It hasn't been that way. Come on, now you're just making crap up. The constant coverage of this storm has not been going on that many days. They've kept the public up to date as it moved across the Atlantic, but the intense coverage did not start until late last week when it became apparent the east coast was going to get the piss smacked out of it.

Up until then I do believe the media saturation was election, election, Benghazi, election. Talk about hype...now there's some hype. At least this coverage is for the purpose of trying to save people's lives instead of spreading propaganda.

I don't know if you've noticed...but I think you're way off base. And if other country's media is focusing on a U.S. storm...well, you need to talk to them, not us.
edit on 10-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333
reply to post by beezzer
 


"I can't cope with living in the information age--I'm gonna go rant on an internet forum."

-Beezer the Hypocrite


I recognise the hype and idiocy for what it is.

I just don't embace it like some.



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
reply to post by beezzer
 


Now who is hyping? It hasn't been that way. Come on, now you're just making crap up. The constant coverage of this storm has not been going on that many days. They've kept the public up to date as it moved across the Atlantic, but the intense coverage did not start until late last week when it became apparent the east coast was going to get the piss smacked out of it.

Up until then I do believe the media saturation was election, election, Benghazi, election. Talk about hype...now there's some hype. At least this coverage is for the purpose of trying to save people's lives instead of spreading propaganda.

I don't know if you've noticed...but I think you're way off base. And if other country's media is focusing on a U.S. storm...well, you need to talk to them, not us.
edit on 10-29-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)


Embrace the madness then. I just see it how I see it. My opinion, ergo, the thread.

You can always pen a counter-thread.

*shrugs*



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain
 


Because ATSers are obsessed with size.
Mine is bigger then yours. Would they still ignore a tornado alarm if it is an F1? I wouldn't....

Some of the worst storms to damage my area were barely organized tropical storms.

Here is a lesson for those obsessed with size:
This image is in Ellicott City Maryland. (great ghosthunting spot) they mark on the pillar to the train bridge all the floods and the year. The one that almost reached the tracks was Agnes (there is one higher) in 1972.
By the time Agnes reached Ellicott City, it was a BARELY organized tropical storm.
It caused such mass flooding that the strenght of the river actually smashed train cars up against the thomas viaduct.
There is still damage to this day, from that barely organized tropical storm.



Irene, and TS lee, a year ago, caused such widespread flooding that they had to set charges to the dams to blow them on the Susquehana river. Those floods broke the 1972 record.
Again, Irene was a WEAKER storm,.

Now lets put this in perspective.

Irene, barely a cat one, and TS Lee, not even a TS anymore, just a system, caused flooding that broke the 1972 records from Agnes, a barely TS. So mcuh that they had to set charges to two dams to release pressure.

The flood surge in my state is now TWICE that of Irene, and the the storm is still 14 hours away.

If that is NOT cause for worry. I don't know what is.

People forget that Katrina was barely a cat 3 by the time it got to NO.

So ATSers need to stop obsessing with size.



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wait to see the huge mothership hiding in the storm.



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog
 


Actually, all my friends and family in Florida said that the breezes from it glancing by them almost knocked them over, and they are very worried, and said this isn't normal.

And I see that you are still obsessing about what other people are thinking. I feel sorry for you.

edit on 29-10-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


I don't think I need one. Yours will work fine.



posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by yadda333
reply to post by beezzer
 


"I can't cope with living in the information age--I'm gonna go rant on an internet forum."

-Beezer the Hypocrite


I recognise the hype and idiocy for what it is.

I just don't embace it like some.


What is it that you don't embrace?





new topics

top topics



 
32
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join