70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdwynaGolden
I agree that the coverage I saw of Sandy today seems very hyped up. The last I heard was there was 60 mph winds and that 375,000 people were being forced to evacuate. The strange thing to me was that they were keeping the handicapped, disabled, hospitalized and elderly in the area, but made it mandatory for everyone else to leave that area? Why? I thought it was strange that he..."Bloomberg".. I think it was stood there and said plainly and calmly that "Oh, they'll be fine." But the rest of you must leave? For gale force winds? Really? I don't know the area at all as far as structure strength and whether or not they've built the buildings to withstand gale force winds... but I know that I live in deep south east Texas where the pine trees are thick and tall, and we have 70 mph winds + during t-storms...and yes some trees fall, but most of them come through just fine.
My hubby says he thinks that TPTB are just "testing" those poor people to see how quickly and efficiently they can evacuate... Like in preparation for a bigger event. Because it didn't make sense to either of us as to the mandatory evac for those winds.... Is it the sea level? Flooding? Just wondering why not the sick and elderly?

I think you are right. Either a test run or they are doing something now as they have all transportation down and have the place to themselves. Military ships all moved out to sea.

I found it very odd for the meteorologist I fist saw report the storm, I think it was the weather channel...he said something like, "this is...ahh wait... this is really weird, I have never seen anything like this!".

I know he went over the stuff before he was on the air so why bug out his eyes and act like he just saw the impossible as he eyed this storm on radar! A setup I think!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yadda333

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

"I can't cope with living in the information age--I'm gonna go rant on an internet forum."

-Beezer the Hypocrite

I recognise the hype and idiocy for what it is.

I just don't embace it like some.

What is it that you don't embrace?

Irrational behaviour.

Now please stay on topic, this thread is aout hype, not beezzer.
edit on 29-10-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No one is panicking. The only one in denial and unrealistic is you. You can't even come up with a counter arguement.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
You've pictured the best-case scenario quite vividly in your mind, and are comparing it to the worst-case scenario calculated as a real possibility by the experts. Of course their warnings look like unnecessary overhyping therefore.

Suggestion to everyone who thinks the population is just cringing from a misting of water with a soft breeze or two: sit down and write a letter to the meteorologists describing all you know about Sandy as it relates to their concerns, outlining the reasons for why they and everyone on the front lines should relax and wait for their power to come back on.
"1. All the other hurricanes this year didn't make landfall on the northeastern coast, ergo, this one won't either."

Assuming the experts really are purposefully sounding like alarmist Chicken Littles, if that's what it takes to kick the general population in the butt enough to get them to act, then so be it.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by beezzer

No one is panicking. The only one in denial and unrealistic is you. You can't even come up with a counter arguement.

A counter-argument to what?

My own opinion?

I perceive this as hype brought by the MSM.

This is what I believe.

Did I ever mention NOT to use common sense?
Did I ever mention to ignore potential localised flooding?

If you're in danger, leave.

But don't feed me bull cookies about the most drastic storm in recorded history ohmygod ohmygod!

Common sense.

*beezzer shakes his head in dismay*

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This is nothing but a point generating thread from Beezer. Multiple pages in , he still can't give an answer.

Stop feeding the troll.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Dont even reply to me, all you do in every thread I see you in is bitch.
I feel sorry for your husband
edit on 10/29/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I can see the headlines around ATS if there wasn't a media blitz regarding what looks to be a disastrous storm.

"Media Ignored Devastating Storm!" "Government Wanted Mass Deaths in Storm of the Century!"

"Illuminati Suppressed Storm Coverage!" "Complete Government Failure to Save Citizens!"

Seriously, if you don't think the frenzy regarding this storm is warranted, then when is it?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I write a thread about hype and people respond with. . .

wait for it

wait for it

hype!

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

But don't feed me bull cookies about the most drastic storm in recorded history ohmygod ohmygod!

Common sense.

So you have decided ahead of time that this storm is not of any real concern? You are obviously not one to err on the side of caution.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
In my case, it's a suggestion to write a counterargument to the meteorologists who are in charge of calculating the risks.
Up to the challenge?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

Common sense.

So you have decided ahead of time that this storm is not of any real concern? You are obviously not one to err on the side of caution.

Actually, I thought to use common sense and not trust the hyperbole spewing from the mouths of the talking heads.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

wait for it

wait for it

hype!

If I were a cynical man I'd think you authored a thread about hype purely to provoke that reaction, to enable you to make such an exclamation.

If I were a cynical man.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

wait for it

wait for it

hype!

Oh, now I understand. You are using "hype" to describe rational thought processes, reasonable and founded concerns, proactive measures to share knowledge, and scientific data.

That clears up a lot for me.

Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I disagree with the media "hyping" the situation.

It only seems like Hype if you are watching the news 24/7 and expecting something different.

Reality; people don't watch the news for more than an hour at a time in most cases. Just like listening to the radio. They are trying to cover as much information as possible in the shortest period of time, say 10 minutes.

So they repeat the same headlines over and over, expecting viewers to only be watching for 10 minutes.

You are hyping yourselves up, watching the news all day expecting something dramatic to happen. The storm is moving slowly, we won't know what will happen until after it happens.

Fact is; the officials involved; police, FEMA, Red Cross, etc..., are saying this is a bad storm and to be prepared.

It's not a big deal, if you are young, fit and healthy. I imagine most people here are. But if you depend on electricity or specific foods, like others have stated, you will absolutely want to be prepared. Potentially for a few weeks.

This is a big storm, not just fast winds.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

"I can't cope with living in the information age--I'm gonna go rant on an internet forum."

-Beezer the Hypocrite

I recognise the hype and idiocy for what it is.

I just don't embace it like some.

What is it that you don't embrace?

Irrational behaviour.

Now please stay on topic, this thread is aout hype, not beezzer.
edit on 29-10-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

The spread of information = irrational behavior in your opinion?

(notice I phrased this as a question--I hope this does not disturb you since you seem to want to exclude yourself from the topic of conversation. I find it irrational that a thread starter can expect to author such a thread and then want to remove themselves from it when the responses are not ideal)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Oh poor baby. Am I ruining your fun? Did I strike a nerve because you have no life other then trolling threads telling people that there is nothing to worry about, from your safe little home?

Because I basically end every jab you take?

And like I said from another thread you tried to troll, insults are the tactics of the desperate.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

wait for it

wait for it

hype!

If I were a cynical man I'd think you authored a thread about hype purely to provoke that reaction, to enable you to make such an exclamation.

If I were a cynical man.

Actually, I didn't even expect a response. It was more of an editorial, an observation.

Didn't anticipate the drama.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The reason they can't be evacuated is because of safety and logistics.

You have to understand, the entire northeast is affected. Where would they evacuate too? only from one point in the storm to another. It is much safer to keep them where they are.

It is dangerous to move people who are sick or elderly, this is actually the safer course for them, especially since there is no where to go.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

wait for it

wait for it

hype!

If I were a cynical man.

Actually, I didn't even expect a response. It was more of an editorial, an observation.

Didn't anticipate the drama.

You authored a thread without expecting a response--you expect us to believe this?

If that were true, why didn't you just write this all down in your diary?
edit on 10/29/2012 by yadda333 because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join