It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just go check the source people

ESO

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1
Daniel Fischer ‏@cosmos4u
So here goes: one-Earth-mass planet very close to Alpha Cen B, noisy radial velocity signal, amplitude 50 cm/s, P=3.2 d, some doubts remain

twitter.com...
edit on 16-10-2012 by TrustEvery1 because: link

What does that even mean?!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...-5M6w

Earth-Sized Planet Found Just Outside Solar System

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

Congratulation Dad, have a healthy & happy baby:-)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Doppler shifts also tell us the star's radial velocity (how fast the star moves toward and away from us). As you might expect, larger radial velocities mean bigger planets. Based on the star's mass and the period of the shift, we can also calculate the planet's orbital radius

So nothing to do with an actual radio signal

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Alright, well......I guess there's one thing left to say

Shows over, everyone go home.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

“This is the first planet with a mass similar to Earth ever found around a star like the Sun. Its orbit is very close to its star and it must be much too hot for life as we know it,” adds Stéphane Udry (Geneva Observatory), a co-author of the paper and member of the team, “but it may well be just one planet in a system of several. Our other HARPS results, and new findings from Kepler, both show clearly that the majority of low-mass planets are found in such systems.”
www.eso.org...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1
Alright, well......I guess there's one thing left to say

Shows over, everyone go home.

Exactly... What did I say about the scientific community? I mean, it's a huge discovery, surely it required a great lot of observation and calculations... But for us common folk it ain't much useful

"Shows over, everyone go home" +1

It's a bit sad that it ends this way, I mean, some nasty leaker...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This isn't the news I wanted but I'm still quite excited about it, If they find another planet there like earth and within the goldilocks zone then it might just be enough for space exploration to get more funding for propulsion systems and the like in the hope of eventually sending a probe or something there.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by scarybear

Sure it's a important and very interesting discovery. But I think the science community of nowadays classify too much thinks as huge.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

Edit: I see now, that I'm waaaay to late with this. Oh well.

Daniel Fischer''s latest tweets

According to Daniel Fischer the Croeation article is the real deal. In the above tweets it's discussed and confirmed.

Also the flv from ESO's own site has the telling name "the nearest star detected orbiting Earth twin".

So .. that is pretty much it, isn't it? Of course we need to hear the complete story, but we have got the main story.

I for one think it's pretty exciting news if this is really it.
Yay for astronomy!

edit on 16-10-2012 by DupontDeux because: admitting irrelevancy

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Well, a very cool find, but not the super fantastic life changing news I was hoping for.
One day that news WILL come.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

Doppler shifts also tell us the star's radial velocity (how fast the star moves toward and away from us). As you might expect, larger radial velocities mean bigger planets. Based on the star's mass and the period of the shift, we can also calculate the planet's orbital radius

So nothing to do with an actual radio signal

Nope, those announcements will NOT happen for you n' me! I'll just keep reading my science fiction...and hoping, hoping, hoping.....................

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
from ESO

“Our observations extended over more than four years using the HARPS instrument and have revealed a tiny, but real, signal from a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,”

is this for real?

ESO

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
from ESO

“Our observations extended over more than four years using the HARPS instrument and have revealed a tiny, but real, signal from a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,”

is this for real?

ESO

Yes, but in the sense that it is confirmed measurable, not artificial.
edit on 16-10-2012 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
"Alpha Centauri B is very similar to the Sun but slightly smaller and less bright. The newly discovered planet, with a mass of a little more than that of the Earth [3], is orbiting about six million kilometres away from the star, much closer than Mercury is to the Sun in the Solar System."

ESO

I find this to be a very exciting discovery and even though life there is not likely, one of the other planets may contain it.
edit on 16-10-2012 by RoyBatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGenR8
Well, a very cool find, but not the super fantastic life changing news I was hoping for.
One day that news WILL come.

I guess after world war 3 is over.

Got let people kill themselves first, over which pseudo-religion is better....

600 million good enough or should it be 666 million?
edit on 16/10/12 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

I don't think it means signal as in intelligent life I think it means this:

The European team detected the planet by picking up the tiny wobbles in the motion of the star Alpha Centauri B created by the gravitational pull of the orbiting planet [2]. The effect is minute — it causes the star to move back and forth by no more than 51 centimetres per second (1.8 km/hour), about the speed of a baby crawling. This is the highest precision ever achieved using this method.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DupontDeux

it says

but real, signal from a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B

i dont know man
the wording seems to be subtle but clear

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

that paragraph states detected by wobble

where as the other paragraph i quoted above seems to be worded with purpose
edit on 16-10-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join