It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Dont expect disclosure about UFO, ET, Space-ships, Green Muppets, Grey Muppets, or anything which is related to UFO's.

I am expecting an super-earth like our earth has been found with water and oxygen. Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well thats pretty damn cool if this is the "disclosure" that was said to be. But is this an 8 out of 10? Not really. More like a 5 out of 10. We still can't reach the planet, especially not in our lifetime but cool none the less.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This is what all the hub bub is about:

www.tportal.hr...-G-5M6x

European astronomers have discovered that around the nearest star Alpha Centauri orbits the planet whose mass is nearly equal to the Earth

It is also the lightest planet ever discovered. Investigations were carried out with the help of the instrument HARPS mounted on the 3.6 m telescope of the La Silla Observatory in Chile. Alpha Centauri is one of the brightest stars in the southern sky and the closest solar system - is only 4.3 light years away. This system is actually composed of three stars - Alpha Centauri A and B, which are similar to the Sun and move in orbits close to each other and one distant, pale, red Proxima Centauri. The possibility that in this system there are planets and possibly life scientists speculate since the 19th century, however, even a very precise studies have failed to reveal anything. Until today. "Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days," said lead researcher Xavier Dumusque from the Geneva Observatory and Centro de Astrofisica da Universidade do Porto in Portugal. "This is an extraordinary discovery, in which we use our technique to the limit. ' existence tiny planet was determined from the wobble of the star images influenced by its gravity. The effect is truly portable - runs the star forward or backward at a speed of 1.8 kilometers per hour, which is about the speed of crawling children. The planet is around Alpha Centauri B at a distance of about six million miles, much closer than Mercury is to the Sun. From another star Alpha Centauri A is a hundred times further, however, and it is in his heaven, probably a very shiny object. first exoplanet in the sun-like star was discovered early as 1995. Since then, it has found more than 800, however, generally are all much larger than Earth. The biggest challenge for scientists is to search for small planets the size of Earth that are in the habitable zones of their parent stars. "This result represents a major step in the discovery of Earth's twins in the immediate vicinity of our Sun. We live in an exciting time, "said Xavier Dumusque.

link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
i dont know if you guys know because i'm not reading this whole thread but its just a planet with 4 suns

notting too special

Well well, maaaaybe you SHOULD! read the whole thread before you post hu? Then you would have known that yur post is like the 10th now about that, and that NO it ain´t about the 4 sun, why? Because that is already news....what is now going on hasn´t ...please, read all thread before you post something so that we could avoid those circle arguments that are so common here

link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1
We still can't reach the planet, especially not in our lifetime but cool none the less.

If we can bend space-time, we can. But not in my lifetime i guess
(

They did it already with Photons

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by talklikeapirat
First let me say, i want to be excited as much as most of us here. I've found some more info.

Warning: Don't click the link if you want the excitement to last to a least until tomorrow!!

?
edit on 16-10-2012 by talklikeapirat because: "^^

Haha, these reporters consider that an 8 out of 10. That really is more like a 1 out of 10. But what do you expect? The people attending these conferences and the ESO scientists themselves are not like us. They are mainstream, and think LANDMARK EVENTS are the most mundane things to us.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

Why would they have an embargo on the information if it was something we already knew about ? As many post as you have got and you still don't know that you should read through a thread first, tsk.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by talklikeapirat
First let me say, i want to be excited as much as most of us here. I've found some more info.

Warning: Don't click the link if you want the excitement to last to a least until tomorrow!!

?
edit on 16-10-2012 by talklikeapirat because: "^^

That looks like it could be legitimate. I suppose if it is then it's cool in terms of what else if might lead to. I won't say any more so as to preserve the suspense
well done

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

..."Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,"...

Wait...WHAT?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston

..."Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,"...

Wait...WHAT?

An spectrogram signal. No signals from ETs

Which means an planet circles arounds Alpha Centauri B
edit on 16-10-2012 by Oxize because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oxize

Wait...WHAT?

An spectrogram signal. No signals from ETs

Which means an planet circles arounds Alpha Centauri B
edit on 16-10-2012 by Oxize because: (no reason given)

I'm still waiting on confirmation from the author on this post but yeah, I crapped myself a little when I read that. I would definitely rate that a "conservative 8".

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

www.tportal.hr...-G-5M6x

European astronomers have discovered that around the nearest star Alpha Centauri orbits the planet whose mass is nearly equal to the Earth

It is also the lightest planet ever discovered. Investigations were carried out with the help of the instrument HARPS mounted on the 3.6 m telescope of the La Silla Observatory in Chile. Alpha Centauri is one of the brightest stars in the southern sky and the closest solar system - is only 4.3 light years away. This system is actually composed of three stars - Alpha Centauri A and B, which are similar to the Sun and move in orbits close to each other and one distant, pale, red Proxima Centauri. The possibility that in this system there are planets and possibly life scientists speculate since the 19th century, however, even a very precise studies have failed to reveal anything. Until today. "Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days," said lead researcher Xavier Dumusque from the Geneva Observatory and Centro de Astrofisica da Universidade do Porto in Portugal. "This is an extraordinary discovery, in which we use our technique to the limit. ' existence tiny planet was determined from the wobble of the star images influenced by its gravity. The effect is truly portable - runs the star forward or backward at a speed of 1.8 kilometers per hour, which is about the speed of crawling children. The planet is around Alpha Centauri B at a distance of about six million miles, much closer than Mercury is to the Sun. From another star Alpha Centauri A is a hundred times further, however, and it is in his heaven, probably a very shiny object. first exoplanet in the sun-like star was discovered early as 1995. Since then, it has found more than 800, however, generally are all much larger than Earth. The biggest challenge for scientists is to search for small planets the size of Earth that are in the habitable zones of their parent stars. "This result represents a major step in the discovery of Earth's twins in the immediate vicinity of our Sun. We live in an exciting time, "said Xavier Dumusque.

I can't find this reported anywhere but this Croatian site and on some Livejournal blog. Anybody else? Not shooting holes just want to read more.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxize

Thats what I initally thought too but...Read the whole quote.

The possibility that in this system there are planets and possibly life scientists speculate since the 19th century, however, even a very precise studies have failed to reveal anything. Until today. "Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,"

I mean, a small signal coming from the planets. not from the system, to possibly prove there are planets,

Maybe I'm still misreading it?

edit on 10/16/2012 by Juston because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
wow i just read some comments and you guys have no idea

they've even talked about it on the news already, unless its something else, but i'm pretty sure its the planet with 4 suns

No, the planet with 4 suns was NOT discovered by ESO.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

It's been written in a way to make us believe these are E.T.'s making these signals but I believe they mean the signal is from the planets THEMSELVES which are being picked up.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Oxize

Thats what I initally thought too but...Read the whole quote.

The possibility that in this system there are planets and possibly life scientists speculate since the 19th century, however, even a very precise studies have failed to reveal anything. Until today. "Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days,"

I mean, a small signal coming from the planets. not from the system, to possibly prove there are planets,

Maybe I'm still misreading it?

edit on 10/16/2012 by Juston because: (no reason given)

it says "have failed to find anything"

im a bit skeptical of that article being the real deal
could just be someone jumping on the band wagon for hits!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Or it could be a leak

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thats probably it, discovery of an earth sized planet orbiting Alpha Centauri.

Not what many would be hoping for but cool nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrustEvery1

"Our observations HARPS instrument that lasted for more than four years have revealed a small, but real signal coming from the planets turned around Alpha Centauri B every 3.2 days"

yea i was going to say why didnt they say the signal is the planet,, instead of coming from the planet,,,

but now i think the wording means,.,.,. they were watching the star,,, and there was a signal every 3.2 days,,, that they now know is a planet...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyBatty

www.tportal.hr...-G-5M6x

I can't find this reported anywhere but this Croatian site and on some Livejournal blog. Anybody else? Not shooting holes just want to read more.

For what it's worth I believe this article is accurate, having just had the leak sort-of confirmed by another individual on twitter who was at the conference. (no names, don't want to get anyone in trouble).

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join