It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have never understood why it is that we did not start out planet hunting the closest stars first. Not to mention the star systems that get the most hype from UFO folklore.
Even Lost in Space based the storyline on traveling to Alpha Certauri,lol

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

lmfao. I can't believe that many people starred such an ignorant post.
"Even if we can understand quantum physics, it won't lead to any practical applications."
Just letting you know what you sound like.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Achillies115
I have never understood why it is that we did not start out planet hunting the closest stars first. Not to mention the star systems that get the most hype from UFO folklore.
Even Lost in Space based the storyline on traveling to Alpha Certauri,lol

We do......

xfinity.comcast.net...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I found a beer bottle the other day, but it was empty. It was in the fridge.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I didn't read through every post but just came across this..

The discovery of an Earth-mass planet orbiting a neighboring star similar to our Sun is reported online in Nature. The planet is much closer to its parent star, Alpha Centauri B, than Earth is to the Sun. This places the planet out of the habitable zone ― the distance from the parent star at which water, if present, would be liquid ― which means that it is not an Earth twin. European astronomers have discovered a planet with about the mass of the Earth orbiting a star in the Alpha Centauri system — the nearest to Earth. It is also the lightest exoplanet ever discovered around a star like the Sun. The planet was detected using the HARPS instrument on the 3.6-metre telescope at ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile. The results will appear online in the journal Nature on 17 October 2012.

B.I.N

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Awesome discovery! just today I was thinking how cool it would be if we discovered a Exo-Planet in Alpha Centaurus! I told my wife: I hope it's a planet in Alpha Centaurus or Epsilon Eridani.

Sure enough this didn't disappoint me in the slightest! Many more discoveries to come i'm sure!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

lmfao. I can't believe that many people starred such an ignorant post.
"Even if we can understand quantum physics, it won't lead to any practical applications."
Just letting you know what you sound like.

yeah, i wish to take my star and flag back...

i heard what these so called scientists are putting out..lol

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I found a beer bottle the other day, but it was empty. It was in the fridge.

On a lighter note, I feel your pain!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Unless we have warp drives? ..Nasa announced some weeks ago, the possibility of developing those "warp drives". So you may be surprised how possible this will be. I believe the Scientist is Harold White, which I am sure, he will succeed in time, and will discover what happens to objects traveling at velocities faster than the speed of light. At that point, we will have break-through not just in Fabric of Space understanding, but also Spacetime.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

All the speculation in this thread -- and starring and flagging of it -- has been quite ridiculous, but that's standard operating procedure around here. Not that these folks will learn a lesson from it either... People should by now have an idea of what big deals are made of what are, in fact, fairly small-deal scientific observations. In particular, NASA a few years back made a big deal out of life that in the lab could be arsenic based, thereby suggesting it could occur elsewhere in the universe; the lead up to this announcement spoke of a scientific finding having to do with extraterrestrial life -- which is a big assumptive stretch at best. As I understand it, even this scientific finding has been cast into doubt again. So why were people thinking this recent announcement was going to be revelatory?

That said, the researchers believe there is a possibility of other earth-sized planets further out from this star, i.e. in the Goldilocks zone. The deal is that, as this detection method is based on orbital perturbations due to gravity, further away bodies of similar size are going to have an even smaller effect on the star's nutation, and hence are even more difficult to detect.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I was watching this thread, knowing how this "astounding" discovery would be nothing more than some planet somewhere.

So it turns out to be a Earth-sized planet in Alpha Centauri, 4.3 light years from us, similar in size to the Earth but too hot for having life (of course they may find some bacteria there in the future). And then they go on about how it "may be" the first step in finding more planets.... :/

I think an "astounding" disclosure would be a planet similar to Earth, with similar temperatures.

Personally I wonder what the secret space program have discovered in all its time with nearly unlimited budget, with access to reverse enginereed UFO technology. I believe they have explored space for many decades now. All while NASA sits around with combustion engines and an agenda to let the public think they are the real space program.

edit on 17-10-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Colour me disappointed, the initial post had me quite excited although I should know better. So they found a planet of similar size to earth, well with about a trillion of these things existing I guess there is a pretty good chance that there may be more of a similar size, this is not news. I guess though that their standard day job is so very boring that this is considered a highlight. Yawn

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
There is no proof that Alphas A and B or Proxima are Suns. All these recent findings of planets orbiting very close to stars should raise suspicions in anyone with any common sense. A 3 day orbit period? Give your heads a shake. What they are finding is Moons orbiting planets, and the whole of Cosmology is a bunch of BS perpetrated by a scientific elite who continue to keep us ordinary folk in the dark about the true nature of the Cosmos.
Show me that A or B or Proxima is a Sun before you go telling me that all the other billions of objects out there are Suns. Twaddle.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I wrote what I found via tweets and mailing lists that I follow. I do not understand how you can call me ignorant, fool, lacking common sense?

In my humble opinion, ESO has made an astounding discovery. To all who think Astronomers were not looking at Alfa Centaurs for planets all these years...ha ha! They were, but could not. ESO used the HARP measurements to find a planet around same mass as Earth. Further to that, SETI had scanned that part of sky for signals, and they will scan these parts again, now because of this discovery.

(In the 1990s, astronomers listened to the Alpha Centauri system for alien radio broadcasts but heard nothing, said Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in California. Any aliens on the new planet “would have to be devilish and enjoy hot weather,” he said, adding that the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) project will probably take another listen across a broader range of radio channels in case other, more habitable planets also lurk in the system.)
-Link: m.washingtonpost.com...

I got excited when Felix made the space jump. People across the world were excited. But then there were some, for whome it did not matter. Everyone is entitled to drink their tea the way they seem fit!

I got excited about this ESO news confrence and I am glad I did a thread here. I see so many like minded members on ATS who have shown a passion and enthusiasm for science that we seldom see in day to day life.

I did not post this thread to get stars or flags, I posted because I wanted to share the news I was getting. Isn't that what we should be doing in ATS, share the news? I believe some people here are plain jealous that a new member like me, who had about 22-23 posts on ATS could bring on board ATS a story that would be of interest not just here, but would also compel disclose.tv, UFO&NEWS (on twitter) to copy it from here!

Call me names, call me ignorant, a person with little to no common sense, call me what you may, I shall keep posting things that sound interesting to me, those things that have not yet been posted, that piece of information that has been leaked, albeit a media embargo! I will because I know now that there are so many here on ATS who want to pursue the truth, like I do. And also because I know who I am, your or any other person calling me names shall not change that fact.

Well, now that the cats out of the hat from ESO, I will be on to another story! Ciao.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownEntity

I think you are absolutely correct. There's nothing wrong about being excited with this scientific discoveries or achievements like the Red Bull Stratos.

In fact this lack of enthusiasm by the biggest part of humanity is the reason that there's so little investment in science nowadays.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Probably a little late to add this but I've been following this thread from the start and whilst I understand all the excitement over the actual announcement I'm a little bemused by some of the posts.

This is a planet that is way too hot to sustain life yet people are calling for new space warp drives to go there when we have mars on our doorstep and haven't gone there with a manned flight yet.

Mars.
Planet.?check
Reasonable size? Check
Atmosphere?check
Once had vast oceans? Check
Right on our doorstep and reachable easily with current tech? Check!!!

How about we go there first.

I have always believed the cosmos is chock full of planets and amongst them will be many habital Earth like worlds

In our own little neighbourhood we have Earth, Mars, Venus, Mercury all rocky planets not just gas giants
Venus could well have once been very Earth like so a few billion years ago you could have had three habital planets in our own solar system, why would we assume this would be unusual?

I got very excited in the build up, hoping it would be another Earth with clear signs of life in the spectra. A little disappointed if I'm honest but still a great discovery, just not sure we need to be talking about manned missions there just yet when we have so much still to do locally in the way of manned exploration.

That said, if one of the new planet's neighbours turns out to be in the goldilocks zone and is sending Wow signals then it's on like donkey kong!

edit on 17-10-2012 by EcoMan because: Clarity and a typo

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by chika98

I believe the Scientist is Harold White, which I am sure, he will succeed in time, and will discover what happens to objects traveling at velocities faster than the speed of light.

The whole point of a warp drive is that you do not actually travel faster than the speed of light (can't do that). You distort spacetime in such a way that you don't have to. But it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This. Though it's nice to know that someone at NASA is at least attempting to test the very basics of the warp drive idea on a very small scale. I'm holding out for the 2060s, anyway.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EcoMan
Mars.
Planet.?check
Reasonable size? Check
Atmosphere?check
Once had vast oceans? Check
Right on our doorstep and reachable easily with current tech? Check!!!

How about we go there first.

We just did, with rover Curiosity. It's looking for sign of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join