It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ESO set to make astounding disclosure!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
What do you think would ESO "disclose"?

ESO is not a "UFO research facility", they are (amongst other things) searching for exoplanets with their specialized instruments. Any speculation beyond that is naive and not very realistic.

Anyway..the thought that Alpha Centauri would have confirmed planets (Earth-like? Probably not since what i read in that foreign article they said something about "closer to the star than Mercury from our Sun...but it would be "exciting" (at least for me) since Alpha Centauri is so close to us.

Imagine the other alternative....some exoplanets 500 light years away...but 4.4 light years make it almost reasonable thinking about going there in some far future.

Of course, other things not even considered, like scanning that area with SETI and all other types of equipment...4.4 LY is really nothing.

Here is some good information about possible traveling times:

www.universetoday.com...

What's good about this is...let's say we discover there are planets around our closest neighbor, it might also be an incentive to develop interstellar travel sooner (since it might be a theoretical possibility to go there) - as opposed to knowing there is no planets anywhere even remotely close....which makes the idea of interstellar travel more "real"..even if it would still take 100s or even 1000s of years until we have such propulsion systems.

Means: If you see an island on the horizon you might be more motivated to build a boat to get there, right?
edit on 16-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

link   
Meh!.......nothing we havent heard before folks....move on through......

link   

Originally posted by scarybear
Just as some guys before me said, I've been around ATS for some time but this one thread made me want to register here...

I really wanted to be more excited about this disclosure, but from what I know about the scientific community, it's not likely that what may be a 8 out of 10 for them is indeed the same for us, I mean, the average ATS user.

While I hope to be proved wrong, I don't think this is gonna be any real big deal...

I agree that they maybe wont have the same expectations as we here at ATS do, but given the 1-10 scale where the question was "1=just another planet and 10 = planet with intelligent life"....and 8 would at least be something interesting, even too us I think

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
An 8 to me means we've gotten a signal from a planet but we've never seen anything like it
A 9 to me means we've gotten a signal from another planet, we can understand it and it's confirmed
A 10 to me means aliens are outside

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TrustEvery1

I don't think this will be about a signal... just as the page said:

"European astronomers have used facilities at ESO’s La Silla Observatory to discover a remarkable exoplanet."

It's a remarkable exoplanet, not some sort of radio signal... But that is an interesting hypothesis...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
it seems the leak on that croatian site was not complete:

"The situation re. that exoplanet is absurd: everyone's excited about *some* leaked facts - and we science writers who know more can't speak. "

twitter.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ErwinOrb

Oh jeez. Cmon, someone create a fake twitter, hide your ip and post this already. This is starting to become retarded much like my 2nd wife.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

The worst "ufo research facility" is 100 times more credible than esa and nasa combined.

Truer words have never been spoken before...

Of course the establishment funded by rich people will go out of its way to ridicule and demonise ufology and crypto-zoology. If you are a luciferian you must keep the secret that satan and his angels of death exist.

Just my two cents

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Daniel Fischer ‏@cosmos4u
IMPORTANT ADVICE TO FELLOW SCIENCE WRITERS: I have word via ESO that Nature HAS LIFTED THE EMBARGO on their Alpha Centauri Bb paper NOW.

HERE WE GO!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

so there you go
its not the real deal in the article
just something else not associated with the embargo stamp!

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1

Oh jeez. Cmon, someone create a fake twitter, hide your ip and post this already. This is starting to become retarded much like my 2nd wife.

HAHAHA
first time I laughed today...and I have been awake now for about 15hour´s

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Just what I was gonna post... Now what do we do???

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErwinOrb
it seems the leak on that croatian site was not complete:

"The situation re. that exoplanet is absurd: everyone's excited about *some* leaked facts - and we science writers who know more can't speak. "

twitter.com...

He just tweeted that the embargo on Nature has been lifted. Is it true?

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm just kind of looking around waiting for something to happen........

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Daniel Fischer ‏@cosmos4u IMPORTANT ADVICE TO FELLOW SCIENCE WRITERS: I have word via ESO that Nature HAS LIFTED THE EMBARGO on their Alpha Centauri Bb paper NOW.

Ohhhh
news news .. What now

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So here goes: one-Earth-mass planet very close to Alpha Cen B, noisy radial velocity signal, amplitude 50 cm/s, P=3.2 d, some doubts remain

twitter.com...
edit on 16-10-2012 by TrustEvery1 because: link

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

link?
so if thats true we should be experiencing a flood of news, blogs, threads of what the huge discovery is in 3.......2.......1.........

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrustEvery1
So here goes: one-Earth-mass planet very close to Alpha Cen B, noisy radial velocity signal, amplitude 50 cm/s, P=3.2 d, some doubts remain

twitter.com...
edit on 16-10-2012 by TrustEvery1 because: link

what does this mean, quick ? I understand "one-Earth-mass planet very close to Alpha Cen B" all the other stuff is way over my head

link   
So what does a noisy radial velocity signal actually mean???

Do they mean its possibly a radio transmitted signal?

link   
Daniel Fischer says

we science writers who know more can't speak.

Well I hope they speak everything now.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join