It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Please, Please. It's You're NOT Your

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
What about 'a' and 'an'?

Use 'an' if the next word starts with a vowel sound. If it does not, then use 'a'. C'mon people it's not that hard!

And don't forget your commas, we don't want to eat Grandpa...

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I would venture to say that I am lazy with my grammar to a degree as I use MSWord to spell check whatever I post.

Of course, I re-read what I have written but mistakes always seem to make it through. Sometimes the eye just doesn’t catch them either.

What drives me nuts are the folk who type replies (sometimes even threads) apparently thinking that they only have a 140 character limit.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This topic has been done to death. But nevertheless, I agree with you OP. I believe proper written communication is very important to any society. Still, I am as guilty as anyone. I have made all of the grammatical errors in this thread more than once, and I'm sure some repeatedly. I shall endeavor to improve.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Why don't we just add the word YOUR to the dictionary and make the definition acceptable in both cases for "you are" and for the possessive pronoun "your"?

That would be easier and we might be able to move on to important matters.
New words are added to the dictionary all the time.
Let's just add this one and end this ridiculous, petty and niggling war of words.

edit on 14-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Mother always told me that a preposition was not a correct word to end a sentence with. I before E except after C but not if you're weird. Sieg Heil Mein Fuhrer. auf wiedersehen

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Can I have a "piece" of cake.
Not much "peace" in the world today.

We "won" the Superbowl, yeah....
"One" piece please.

Darknstormy "threw" the ball.
I can see right "through" you.

May as well knock a few more on the head.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Actually its now ur

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Getting annoyed or mad at other peoples grammar on the internet is abit much. If it's all Rdy, L8, N8, bi, Rly and the like I can understand. I notice when im writing something important(say work) i seem to pay attention but for talking to friends, family and internet forums i go in to informal mode.

I can't help but
at some people here who judge other peoples intelligence based on there grammar on a internet forum that discusses topics like reptiles and UFOs. The majority of people in the world would look down upon you or judge you odd if you talked about these subjects. Yet on that very forum we have people who look down and judge on grammar. It just seems rather pathetic to complain about the very common mistakes people make with the English language.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I wonder how well members' spell if they are posting...
1.While drinking
2.When angry
3.Tired and ready for bed
4.Running late to work
5.The baby needs changed
6.Their children are fighting
7.The doorbell rings
8.The phone rings
9.While eating
10.Blowing their nose
11.Pushing their cat off the desk
The list can go on and on.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
reply to post by nightstalker78

Well in the most original form of your most original comment, you certainly didn't come across as sarcastic or anything similar. In fact, after further analysis of your comment, i noticed it's been edited - as are your others.

Are you sure it wasn't edited after you had realised the tone you had conveyed?

Makes me wonder...

"Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bitch fest 2012 begins! Did I spell everything correct to your liking?" was what i based my reply on
edit on 14-10-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: Added further information.

when you use a i, its usually a capital eye. So no, you made won grammar error. can you sea? Re-read your post and you will peace it together. Then you will sea threw my i's.
edit on 14-10-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Oh give it a rest, thats a common typo that everyone has made at least once, especially when theyre typing fast.
Mixing up their,there and theyre is also a common mistake. Neither mistakes make the person illiterate.

So for heavens sake, when YOU'RE expressing YOUR thoughts here remember the difference between the two words.

edit on 10/14/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I agree with all the complaints here. I do, however, have a problem with one stupid sentence I heard Brendan Fraser speak in a movie. He was singing on a plane and someone brought it to his attention. Brandon said, "Am I singing too loudly?"

Apparently, the adverb, 'loudly', is correct, but it drives me nuts in that particular sentence. What point is missed or unclear when saying, Am I singing too loud?"

Are we supposed to add 'ly' to every last word in such a sentence structure?

Am I driving too fastly?
Am I going too farly?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Actually its now ur

True! And funny

Second line >

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

idk wtf ur talkn about

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
I agree with you're post. I couldn't of said it better. Your a great wordsmith.

And shouldn't people refrain from resorting to nicknames for Jesus Christ when they are taking His name in vain - as in Geez amd Sheeeeesh?

AND I have a pet peeve.......In Philly too many people say Yiz when they really mean You'se or Yooo'ze - Yiz is incorrect

edit on 14-10-2012 by Vitruvian because: Yiz'ze

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

idk wtf ur talkn about

I see...it's a comprehension problem?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I seldom mention a persons grammar or syntax. Some are young, some English isn't their first language. BUT if you're going to diss me and add nothing to the topic, you better use proper spelling and syntax. If you're going out of the way to disrupt and insult, take the bloody time to do it right. THEN I'm going to point it out.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

No. I guess it was a poor attempt at humor?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

No. I guess it was a poor attempt at humor?

Now IDK what your talking about?

I thought, yes, lighten up for gosh sake. Nobody here works for the newspaper.
I put commas where they should not be and forget them where they belong. Have been told by smarter people I'm punctuation-ally challenged! Everyone has a fatal flaw. If you consider this might be the worst - its not that bad a price to pay for living in a free and "home-schooled in the holler" country.

And no, I really think we should just morph the word to mean both. End the discussion that will continue until the end of time otherwise. Stranger things HAVE happened.
The 9 Weirdest, Most Controversial Words Added To The Dictionary
edit on 14-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

S&F for at least having a sense of humor or is it humour?

I guess depends on where you are from and where you are speaking.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join