It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Please, Please. It's You're NOT Your

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm shocked... 3 pages and no one has shown what Grammar teachers became in our parallel universe.

Gotta watch those knocks on the door. Never know who it could be.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Originally posted by mamabeth

I wonder how well members' spell if they are posting...
1.While drinking
2.When angry
3.Tired and ready for bed
4.Running late to work
5.The baby needs changed
6.Their children are fighting
7.The doorbell rings
8.The phone rings
9.While eating
10.Blowing their nose
11.Pushing their cat off the desk
The list can go on and on.
12. After a handful of sleeping pills has kicked in.

It never works out good for me, but for some strange reason, I've tried on more than one occasion. It almost seemed as if my brain had fallen asleep, while my fingers were still wide awake, and typing like crazy. lol

There has even been a couple times when I reread it the following day, even I didn't know what the heck I was trying to say.

reply to post by winofiend

Originally posted by winofiend

I for one am glad of these homophone errors. It saves me reading paragraphs of rubbish because as soon as I see a than for a then, or a you're for a your, I skip the entire post.
I thought I was the only one.

That's the one common mistake that bothers me the most.
At least the others are actually pronounced the same.

'Then' & 'Than':
  • Completely different meanings.
  • Completely different vowel.
  • Sound entirely different from one another.

edit on 10/14/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 05:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

I'm going to be reading every single post I make here for spelling errors.

The spell-check for Firefox is rather helpful. It will immediately let you know if you have misspelled a word. Also, if you right click on that word, it will give you the correct spelling. (or a few possible words that the program thinks you may have meant)

Please, Please, Please. It's You're NOT Your

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:11 PM
    link   
    reply to post by mamabeth

Spot on Mamabeth, The cat walking across the keyboard does it for me everytime. What a load of sanctimonious drivel or should l say dribble here. There are people from all over the world on this site. Some are severely impaired, elderly with various forms of arthritis it can take them anything up to an hour to type one small paragraph. People with limbs missing or badly burned and in constant pain, because they have fought in wars to protect the people who can think of nothing better than to ridicule them on this forum. SO WHAT, if their grammar is not up to your superior standards. l am more interested in the content than if the comma is in the right place. Shame on you. Peace and love to you Mamabeth.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
    You all have not mentioned its and it's.

Language is a living entity. It grows and shifts. B4U go to bed, c me! This use of our language is just as valid as yours is. Perhaps the best way to solve these 'problems' is to just change the language. Throw out YOU'RE and keep YOUR for all uses.

See, always other ways to skin the feline.

P

Heck, while we're at it, why not just reduce the English language down to a series of 10 different gunts and 3 different snorts. It worked for the first hominids, right? Or we could start calling anything with processors simply "apple", so your phone, oven clock, car, etc., would just be known as "apple." it would save us the trouble of developing a vocabulary to rival that of cavemen.

Personally, I think that is a terrible idea. I would, however, love to eliminate this fairly recent trend of people saying "anymore" in place of "nowadays." (example: "everybody buys smart phones anymore.") it is used opposite of how it should be (example: "Nobody buys bag phones anymore.")

So:
    Nobody buys bag phones ANYMORE.
    Everybody buys smart phones NOWADAYS.

I'm not against slang, or a little verbal laziness. I am, however, against this recent trend of people having the language completely wrong. Maybe before texting, and before the qverage person starting posting in online forums,I just didn't realize that people were saying "should of", or their/there/they're (which you obviously only see in written form.) either way, I think kids and adults need to read more - not more Facebook posts by others who are half-illiterate, but actual books.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 08:07 PM
    link   
    Used to drive me bonkers as well.................ayeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Came to realize that they were my bonkers....and have made good friends with them their danged bonkers!!!!

Agreeing with other posters about not wasting time reading the remaining grammatical dribblings!!!!

Namaste.............

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 09:18 PM
    link   
    if someone ever said 'namaste' to me in real life.
    i'd pull an imaginary 50calplasma bazooka and shoot them right in the face

in reality, i'd just say 'wtf are you talking about you dumbass hippy'

in real reality, i'd just say 'ok'
    edit on 14-10-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:19 AM
    link   
    reply to post by nimbinned

Ah kin ce whair peeple missed spailin cood gitt tew yew.
    Yew wonta gno wut gitts mah gote?
    Whin sumbuddy scrues thu punkyewasian awl tew hek.
    sum peeples doan gno win thay is supozed tu poot thiyus somers --> ; , ah cee thet uh lawt hear.
    Thay awlsew dew thiyus--> : , fer noe goowad rezun ayut awl.
    Ann howz uhbouyt iss hear gim ' awlmoat nobuddy pootz iyut whair iyut goess, ass iyun hefalumps' ayund woozilez', noap, thay jest pootes juan off dees iyun dere ' lahk iyut wuz hefalump's ayund woozile'z, ayun at ayer iyuz awl rong.
    Awlsew thay doan uze tu ayn tew or tue rat, idz ass bayud ass 2 two to too ayun teu. At airr rilly gids mah gote.
    Bud yew no wut iz loddsa phun? Inna YawHoO comenents fahnd sumbuddy whut cain't wrat fer didulysquat ayun goe tuh complementin theyum own haow thay shore sed thet goowad, oer jest agri witum ayn giyut udder peeples tew garee wiyuth um tew. Thay giyut awl enbowldend ayun stawrt tew piyuk own uthur peeple's rattin ayn punkuwaychun...iut-s lawts o phun. Impowder un idjit own yAwHoo TuDey!
    Bud rilly warch ayout fo dem collens ayn dem zimecoluns caws nobuddy heyar ustes um rat, 'ceptin may, ayn ahm jus showrin ov win ah doez iyut.
    Ass yew kin ce, ah wuz un anglitch mager in cologe.
    Eye gradutated cumma summ clowdy!
    Naow yawl beehaves, doan meek mi cum bak air.
    Noe Aminuls wuz harmnd iyun thee produckshun uf dis hear poast.

edit on 15-10-2012 by Luminaught because: sorry, above your pay grade.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:29 AM
    link   
    reply to post by BrokenCircles

性交の肯定 I know how that feels. Sometimes I post in Japanese when I'm ahem...elevated.
    BTW, the kanji above is my own creation, it is an american term, thought to have originated in New Jersey(but we don't know which exit). Play with the words, and you'll understand this most useful term.

edit on 15-10-2012 by Luminaught because: Some people look at a post and say why? I look at a post and say why not? extra DIV

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:29 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Rikku
    if someone ever said 'namaste' to me in real life.
    i'd pull an imaginary 50calplasma bazooka and shoot them right in the face

in reality, i'd just say 'wtf are you talking about you dumbass hippy'

in real reality, i'd just say 'ok'
    edit on 14-10-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

Namaste Rikku

I have only used this gesture in one place - India, and man do they love it. It is actually one of the most loving things you can say to someone else if you know the spiritual context.

Peace to You

* Ned

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:33 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Luminaught

Ah kin ce whair peeple missed spailin cood gitt tew yew.
    Yew wonta gno wut gitts mah gote?
    Whin sumbuddy scrues thu punkyewasian awl tew hek.
    sum peeples doan gno win thay is supozed tu poot thiyus somers --> ; , ah cee thet uh lawt hear.
    Thay awlsew dew thiyus--> : , fer noe goowad rezun ayut awl.
    Ann howz uhbouyt iss hear gim ' awlmoat nobuddy pootz iyut whair iyut goess, ass iyun hefalumps' ayund woozilez', noap, thay jest pootes juan off dees iyun dere ' lahk iyut wuz hefalump's ayund woozile'z, ayun at ayer iyuz awl rong.
    Awlsew thay doan uze tu ayn tew or tue rat, idz ass bayud ass 2 two to too ayun teu. At airr rilly gids mah gote.
    Bud yew no wut iz loddsa phun? Inna YawHoO comenents fahnd sumbuddy whut cain't wrat fer didulysquat ayun goe tuh complementin theyum own haow thay shore sed thet goowad, oer jest agri witum ayn giyut udder peeples tew garee wiyuth um tew. Thay giyut awl enbowldend ayun stawrt tew piyuk own uthur peeple's rattin ayn punkuwaychun...iut-s lawts o phun. Impowder un idjit own yAwHoo TuDey!
    Bud rilly warch ayout fo dem collens ayn dem zimecoluns caws nobuddy heyar ustes um rat, 'ceptin may, ayn ahm jus showrin ov win ah doez iyut.
    Ass yew kin ce, ah wuz un anglitch mager in cologe.
    Eye gradutated cumma summ clowdy!
    Naow yawl beehaves, doan meek mi cum bak air.
    Noe Aminuls wuz harmnd iyun thee produckshun uf dis hear poast.

edit on 15-10-2012 by Luminaught because: sorry, above your pay grade.

Luminaught - that was a truly scary experience.

I understood every word you said !

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:28 AM
    link   
    reply to nimbinned

Wi Tank ewe!
    Tank ewe berry mulch endeed?
    Dat=s uh ware tawent yoo ghot-

Excuse me.
    Once I go full retard it's hard to get back. (You NEVER go full retard.)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 07:40 AM
    link   
    You can add these as well

Skeptic not sceptic

Except not accept

Aluminium not aluminum.

Nothing else is coming to my mind.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
    link   
    Since we're all ranting and venting, I'll add my peeve.

What really irks me is the overuse of exclamation points. Not every statement in a forum post is an earth-shattering epiphany. Excessive exclamation points just give me the impression the writer is too easily surprised by mostly mundane observations and therefore not reliable in delivering a well-reasoned message.

Careless and sloppy writers are usually careless and sloppy thinkers. Trying to communicate with a sloppy thinker is not a very rewarding experience.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
    link   

Oh for heavens sake! You remind me of organists who claim to have perfect pitch. I ask them to what tuning temperament do they have perfect pitch. Few can answer that one. (EQUAL Temperament would likely be their answer.) Yet there are dozens of possibilities.

The same goes for the English language. I nearly fell to my death in 1971 because, while in England, I was told to take a torch with me. I wrapped up some news papers and brought matches. What I didn't realize was a torch in England is a Flashlight in the USA. So I blithely walked in a tunnel under a 15 century mansion in the midlands. Came upon a spot where nothing reflected from the burning torch, so I retraced my steps. If I had taken one additional step I'd have fallen into a deep brick lined cone once used as an ice house. Lots of pain, most likely death would have followed.

I'd much prefer content, so long as it was legible writing. That someone misuses Your, Your're or some other way of writing the word, does not detract from content, only your sensibilities.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Benchkey

Oh for heavens sake! You remind me of organists who claim to have perfect pitch. I ask them to what tuning temperament do they have perfect pitch. Few can answer that one. (EQUAL Temperament would likely be their answer.) Yet there are dozens of possibilities.

The same goes for the English language. I nearly fell to my death in 1971 because, while in England, I was told to take a torch with me. I wrapped up some news papers and brought matches. What I didn't realize was a torch in England is a Flashlight in the USA. So I blithely walked in a tunnel under a 15 century mansion in the midlands. Came upon a spot where nothing reflected from the burning torch, so I retraced my steps. If I had taken one additional step I'd have fallen into a deep brick lined cone once used as an ice house. Lots of pain, most likely death would have followed.

I'd much prefer content, so long as it was legible writing. That someone misuses Your, Your're or some other way of writing the word, does not detract from content, only your sensibilities.

HAH! Not to laugh due to your pain, but that was funny.
    I'm not really concerned with the spelling or syntax on a message board. I actually have more important things to be so concerned about. Understanding someone is what I am more concerned about rather than demanding they conform to what I demand. I've had no trouble understanding anyone here regardless of their lack of perfection. When I am perfect, I will demand it from others. Otherwise 'Im just another garden variety control freak whining hypocrite.

I thought Id open this thread and read "F'N KHAKIS" in big red letters. I was disappointed.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:53 PM
    link   
    I don't mind spelling mistakes, or grammatical errors, I can still understand what people are trying to say. What really irritates me, and I see it quite a bit on this site, are posters who don't use punctuation! I end up having to re-read posts due to the fact that their sentences run on and on.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
    link   
    We all use bad grammar at times. The best excuse when people ask you snidely if English is your first langue tell them, “no that Klingon is”.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 06:49 PM
    link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

I'm going to be reading every single post I make here for spelling errors.

Now I'm going to re-read my replies 5 times.Thanks for that !!!

edit on 14-10-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

There's no hyphen in reread.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
    link   
    reply to post by DENBY

I know what you mean!

I find this link handy for those moments when you want to correct someone.

blog.jollysworldofweb.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join