It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Please, Please. It's You're NOT Your

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
If you can udnrestnad waht is bieng siad, why feel the need to correct it anyway? Keep the superiority in English to yourself, let it fuel your ego as you stare into the mirror. "Yeah I know I'm great because I know the proper usages of your, you're, and yore."
This is bloggy-world, not snobby-world. Content is fair-game, grammar and spelling should be left alone. I bet a great percentage of fellow ATSers speak English as a second language. They should be applauded for being understandable. We'd likely not understand a lick of their Portuguese, French, German, Farsi, Mandarin, Greek, etc..

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
If you can udnrestnad waht is bieng siad, why feel the need to correct it anyway? Keep the superiority in English to yourself, let it fuel your ego as you stare into the mirror. "Yeah I know I'm great because I know the proper usages of your, you're, and yore."
This is bloggy-world, not snobby-world. Content is fair-game, grammar and spelling should be left alone. I bet a great percentage of fellow ATSers speak English as a second language. They should be applauded for being understandable. We'd likely not understand a lick of their Portuguese, French, German, Farsi, Mandarin, Greek, etc..

I believe that if we allow the bastardisation of the English language to run rampant, then we will eventually arrive at a point where written communication will completely break down and none of us will understand each other. That was the main point I was trying to get across when creating this thread.

I don't expect people to always perfectly express themselves on this forum in terms of spelling and grammar. What upsets me the most is when people start screwing with convention. It's a slippery slope from there.

I also added a comment at the bottom of my thread about non English users. This is obviously a different matter.

Ned

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

I find myself correcting that same word every now and then. The reaction I get especially during facebook statuses are priceless. Good rant

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
so you wont to segregate miss spellers?
what next? gas them?
yor Are a nazi.

so foreigners are banned form the site.
cos they dont spell well.

you should go off and make your own site.
you can spell check all day.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I agree with the OP but I do not agree on pedants, not every one is a master of the language we speak and I respect that, I myself am no word smith and I just try to speak and write with the best possible understanding. However, I also think that if you can understand the person no matter what the spelling or grammar is then its not you place to patronise them.

There's no harm in telling someone that massive blacks of text are hard to read and all capitals are classed as shouting in written speak, but keep it polite. The only people I do poke at are text speakers ie r u ok..

NO NO NO...That isn't English and its a blight on the brain.

My 12yr old daughter is like many and has a mobile phone, I asked her if she used txt speak and she looked at me in horror and showed me a message on the phone, she had spelt everything out in full even if her friends didn't.

What is more alarming for me is the dwindling use of the spoken word, kids txt each other when actually sat inches away, they use txt speak as well. People sit / rule their life on Facebook, they no longer talk person to person unless they have to and when they do they seem to spend half the time looking at texts on their phone.

We the people are destroying the spoken word and face to face chat, life is now tweets, Facebook and txt's and even then people destroy the language with text speak.

Not clever...At least if you use forums have the decency to try and make what you write easy to read.
edit on 16-10-2012 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-10-2012 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
so you wont to segregate miss spellers?
what next? gas them?
yor Are a nazi.

so foreigners are banned form the site.
cos they dont spell well.

you should go off and make your own site.
you can spell check all day.

You seem kind of irritable for a buddha.

I'm not sure where any of that feedback is derived from. Maybe you should read my original post again and my responses to some of the replies.

Om Mani Padme Hum

* Ned

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join