It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Please, Please. It's You're NOT Your

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm not really a grammar Nazi, but I do think that the written word should be as accurate as possible in order to properly convey a message, especially on an internet forum such as this where all context comes from reading the words off the monitor in front of you. There is no body language or audible cues to help with what is being discussed.

So for heavens sake, when YOU'RE expressing YOUR thoughts here remember the difference between the two words.

Of course, I would always make exceptions for those who use English as a second or third language. That's why it's always a good idea, in my opinion, to let people know in your profile which country you reside in.

* Ned

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The one that I can't stand is could "of".
People, it's could've or could have.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more. May I add:

There Their & They're - They're taking their stuff over there.

To - Go TO bed.
Too - $20 is TOO much TO pay for a loaf of bread.
Two - 2

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I agree with you're post. I couldn't of said it better. Your a great wordsmith.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

I used to jump into threads like this with both feet. But I've found it's not just pointless, it's just shy of masochistic.

There are two main arguments: "At least you know what I mean," and "Some people here are don't speak English as a primary language." The first means "I don't care enough to try," or "I'm glad I irritate the hell out of you and I plan to continue." The second is an attempt at sleight-of-hand, particularly taking into account that those whose primary language is not English generally write far better English than the native speakers.

The remainder mostly aren't arguments at all--just the usual trollery....

edit on 10/14/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
You all have not mentioned its and it's.

Language is a living entity. It grows and shifts. B4U go to bed, c me! This use of our language is just as valid as yours is. Perhaps the best way to solve these 'problems' is to just change the language. Throw out YOU'RE and keep YOUR for all uses.

See, always other ways to skin the feline.

P

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I notice this as well. A good way for everyone to remember this, is: if you are saying YOU ARE, drop the A and add an apostrophe. That is what's happening here, and when one is conscious of this, the common error becomes more obvious. I know this is common grammar, but I think some people's understanding of language is more phonetic. Or, perhaps English is a second language of some, and the your, you're synonyms are understandably confusing. You're like me, OP in the regard that this grammatical error jumps out at me every time, I can't not see it!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The one i see the most (and the one that irritates me most) is "than" and "then" not being used in the correct context.

"I'm better then you"

It's. *snip* THAN

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 14-10-2012 by davespanners because: Profanity

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
I agree with you're post. I couldn't of said it better. Your a great wordsmith.

I almost had an aneurysm reading that. Then i realised you were joking.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bitch fest 2012 begins! Did I spell everything correct to your liking?

PS.. I'm not liking you're thread

edit on 14-10-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Yet, he jumps into the thread out of curiosity.

Or was it just because you didn't want to miss out on all the fun?

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
I notice this as well. A good way for everyone to remember this, is: if you are saying YOU ARE, drop the A and add an apostrophe. That is what's happening here, and when one is conscious of this, the common error becomes more obvious. I know this is common grammar, but I think some people's understanding of language is more phonetic. Or, perhaps English is a second language of some, and the your, you're synonyms are understandably confusing. You're like me, OP in the regard that this grammatical error jumps out at me every time, I can't not see it!

Yeh. You'd think that would be obvious to even the most severe moron. But it doesn't matter how many times you say it; people are either just too lazy, too uncaring, or too stupid--or all three--to make that logical jump.

The same with their/there/they're or to/too/two. My suspicion is that most people know (or can easily figure it out), but they use the one that's easiest to spell.

With illicit/elicit, or allude/elude, or allusion/illusion--or one of the many other difficult homonyms or near-homonyms that I see misused here a hundred times a day--I'd be a little more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. But this stuff is not that hard....

edit on 10/14/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

obviously my attempt at humor didn't register with you.Oh,the irony

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bitch fest 2012 begins! Did I spell everything correct to your liking?

When are we going to be able to negative star a post?

This thread (thanks OP) brings attention to a major issue in written communication. If you spell like an idiot then people assume that you're an idiot.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ulyeney

Are you kidding? I seriously hope since you quoted me that you didn't miss the point of what I said!

I was agreeing with the OP!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Thank you guys for posting your comments. Certainly some humorous and poignant replies in there.

As I stated in the opening post, it's really important to be mindful of spelling and grammar when communicating on an internet forum. To be disrespectful of the English language and to just thrash away on the keyboard with gay abandon is a sure-fire recipe for disaster and does not garner any respect from fellow members, especially when discussing serious topics.

Peace to You.

* Ned

PS - Better do a spell check before I hit reply

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

I'm going to be reading every single post I make here for spelling errors.

Now I'm going to re-read my replies 5 times.Thanks for that !!!

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Well in the most original form of your most original comment, you certainly didn't come across as sarcastic or anything similar. In fact, after further analysis of your comment, i noticed it's been edited - as are your others.

Are you sure it wasn't edited after you had realised the tone you had conveyed?

Makes me wonder...

"Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bitch fest 2012 begins! Did I spell everything correct to your liking?" was what i based my reply on
edit on 14-10-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: Added further information.

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Not a word.

Bitch fest 2012 begins!

Not a sentence (also known a sentence fragment). Also use of "fest" should be confined to one complete word, ie; Bitchfest as to denote the slang version, as no word or suffix of the word -fest actually exists in the English language. On it's own it should be pronounced as Bitch Festival, or perhaps Bitch Festivities....

Did I spell everything correct to your liking?

Spelling, yes. But you didn't (did not) word everything correctly in your sentence structure...

That's too bad. You're going to have work on your replies there, otherwise your grasp of the English language may suffer as a result...
Now you're (you are) going to have go back and check your (denotes ownership of your bad grammar) word structuring once again, to make sure it is correct in future....

We will be watching.

/joke

@Ned. Don't stress too much my NSW friend, they will be hacking up Mandarin Chinese in ten years or so, so the butchering of the English language is really just a precursor to all of us speaking another language....

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I for one am glad of these homophone errors. It saves me reading paragraphs of rubbish because as soon as I see a than for a then, or a you're for a your, I skip the entire post.

Simple. And I know I am not immune from occasionally making these mistakes. I do try to correct them and I do try not to make them, but we are human. It's those who intentionally don't care.

If you're not willing to take the time to put, correctly, into words the thoughts that are in your head, then it's a fair call, in my humble opinion, that you would have put the same lack of effort into formulating those thoughts in the first place.

I do admit, however, to having, a rather terrible time, with these, incessant, commas.

And I am struggling with my ellipses issues...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join