Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Banning the word 'fatty' is an insidious attempt at politically correct thought control

page: 3
16
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla

I did read the report, the report very specifically states that calling someone fat could become a hate crime.

That's what it says, in pure English.

I think it's you who doesn't understand the totality of the report in question, not the other way around -- basically, you're just making excuses for why it's acceptable behavior when it's simply anything but.


I suspect that a lot of people who assert that we shouldn't worry about the report's proposal that calling someone fat should be a hate crime, actually agree with the proposal.

This has gone beyond political correctness. It is transparent social engineering enforced by criminal law.

What right do MPs have to socially engineer society so that being fat is as socially acceptable as being slim and attractive?

People like slim and attractive people for a reason. They are healthy.

edit on 13-10-2012 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)




posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Really people...

I understand that obesity is becoming an epidemic. More so in the land below me in the wonderful U.S. of A.

Why a collegue of mine just landed in Amurika (eight hours ago) and had requested a Hyundai Accent (or similar) as a rental vehicle. What did he get?? A Ford F-150


Then he proceeded to the movie theatre and ordered a 'medium' soft drink. He claims that this soft drink in Canada would be considered an 'extra large'.

I myself have witnessed the portions and standards of resturaunts in the U.S. vs Canada. Quite a bit of difference. However the rate of obestity may be on a varying level...I would NEVER to a persons face tell them that they are FAT.

Subtely hint at being overweight? Maybe. But to call someone fat to their face???

This is just mind boggling to a civilized person.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Double Post.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino

Originally posted by Laykilla

I did read the report, the report very specifically states that calling someone fat could become a hate crime.

That's what it says, in pure English.

I think it's you who doesn't understand the totality of the report in question, not the other way around -- basically, you're just making excuses for why it's acceptable behavior when it's simply anything but.


I suspect that a lot of people who assert that we shouldn't worry about the report's proposal that calling someone fat should be a hate crime, actually agree with the proposal.

This has gone beyond political correctness. It is transparent social engineering enforced by criminal law.

What right do MPs have to socially engineer society so that being fat is as socially acceptable as being slim and attractive?

People like slim and attractive people for a reason. They are healthy.

edit on 13-10-2012 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)


Thank you for phrasing it better than I could, star, good sir/madam.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla
 


"To me, a hate crime is when you commit an actual crime based upon an unfair prejudice. Voicing your opinion that you are indeed prejudice is not in fact a hate crime.

For exemplary practice only;

Calling someone a fag and saying "I hate gays" is not a hate crime. Beating up a gay person because they are gay is. Do you see the difference?"

No i dont see the difference mate. A crime is just that! IMHO tagging hate on the front debases the notion. Why should an assault on gay black or any other individual be different?
edit on 13-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla

Thank you for phrasing it better than I could, star, good sir/madam.


Not at all. You are doing a very good job yourself.

I worry about the future. Our liberties, to say what we want to other people, are being steadily removed by law.

1984 is becoming a reality.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
We can always call them Obese, that's 10x worse and is used as a medical term so it would be legal. I've also seen large people are clothing stores throw tantrums because they asked for medium sizes when clearly they wear XXL.

Do Basketball players get offended when people keep talking about how tall they are? Perhaps at times, do they complain about it? No, they use it to their advantage. So large people need to start doing something about their weight and stop complaining all the time.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
Really people...

I understand that obesity is becoming an epidemic. More so in the land below me in the wonderful U.S. of A.

Why a collegue of mine just landed in Amurika (eight hours ago) and had requested a Hyundai Accent (or similar) as a rental vehicle. What did he get?? A Ford F-150


Then he proceeded to the movie theatre and ordered a 'medium' soft drink. He claims that this soft drink in Canada would be considered an 'extra large'.

I myself have witnessed the portions and standards of resturaunts in the U.S. vs Canada. Quite a bit of difference. However the rate of obestity may be on a varying level...I would NEVER to a persons face tell them that they are FAT.

Subtely hint at being overweight? Maybe. But to call someone fat to their face???

This is just mind boggling to a civilized person.


I disagree. Sugar coating the truth is mind boggling to a civilized person. Calling a spade a spade is what we do to be productive. Sugar coating it is kind of like saying "It's okay if you can't, but you really should try to do something about it." All that person hears is "It's okay that I'm fat."

The only reason why it hurts their feeling when they get called fat, is because of people sugar coating it to them.

Do you see how that works? So they believe at first, it's okay to be fat when I otherwise don't have to be, so I'm going to do nothing about it, and then someone calls them fat straight up, no sugar coat -- and then they get all emotional because they convinced themselves it was okay, when it's really not.

It's not okay to be fat an out of shape -- the only thing fat and out of shape people can do is answer phones, for real.

What does a 350 lb person do for a living? It's not rocket science, it's nothing labor intensive.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 


"1984 is becoming a reality."

And has been for sometime now, spot on the ball! Well said!!!! It will be thought crimes next me thinks. LoL
edit on 13-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
Calling someone a fag and saying "I hate gays" is not a hate crime. Beating up a gay person because they are gay is. Do you see the difference?"



I can see the difference.

In a free society we should have the right to express opinions that other people find grossly offensive.

Under the British Communications Act 2003, it is now a criminal offense to make a grossly offensive statement that any person finds offensive.

A number of people have been successfully prosecuted.

Should it also be an offense to call someone fat? I don't think so.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 


"Should it also be an offense to call someone fat?"

No, not if they are! Should it be an offense to call a black person Black? Certainly not if they are surely, but its heading in that direction. People are people after all. If its not PC we dont dont care!
edit on 13-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
Really people...

I understand that obesity is becoming an epidemic. More so in the land below me in the wonderful U.S. of A.

Why a collegue of mine just landed in Amurika (eight hours ago) and had requested a Hyundai Accent (or similar) as a rental vehicle. What did he get?? A Ford F-150


Then he proceeded to the movie theatre and ordered a 'medium' soft drink. He claims that this soft drink in Canada would be considered an 'extra large'.

I myself have witnessed the portions and standards of resturaunts in the U.S. vs Canada. Quite a bit of difference. However the rate of obestity may be on a varying level...I would NEVER to a persons face tell them that they are FAT.

Subtely hint at being overweight? Maybe. But to call someone fat to their face???

This is just mind boggling to a civilized person.


I disagree. Sugar coating the truth is mind boggling to a civilized person. Calling a spade a spade is what we do to be productive. Sugar coating it is kind of like saying "It's okay if you can't, but you really should try to do something about it." All that person hears is "It's okay that I'm fat."

The only reason why it hurts their feeling when they get called fat, is because of people sugar coating it to them.

Do you see how that works? So they believe at first, it's okay to be fat when I otherwise don't have to be, so I'm going to do nothing about it, and then someone calls them fat straight up, no sugar coat -- and then they get all emotional because they convinced themselves it was okay, when it's really not.

It's not okay to be fat an out of shape -- the only thing fat and out of shape people can do is answer phones, for real.

What does a 350 lb person do for a living? It's not rocket science, it's nothing labor intensive.


Well this is true. Obese people CANNOT work hard physical labor. Hence a pay scale difference is in order. If it hitsw them in the pocket book then maybe a change might dawn. If not?? Why the hell do you care?



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

"Should it also be an offense to call someone fat?"

No, not if they are!

Should it be an offense to call a black person Black? Certainly not if they are surely, but its heading in that direction. People are people after all


I agree, however we should be able to call other people fat even if they are not.

For instance, I have been called all manner of things on this board in the past. All of the slurs have been unfounded and false. However, I wouldn't dream of arguing that people should be prosecuted for insulting me.

But that is the direction we are moving in - that it is a criminal offense to hurt someone's feelings, especially if they are a gay, one legged, Muslim, big boned, transgender women of color, who is also an illegal immigrant seeking political asylum.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by Laykilla
 


"To me, a hate crime is when you commit an actual crime based upon an unfair prejudice. Voicing your opinion that you are indeed prejudice is not in fact a hate crime.

For exemplary practice only;

Calling someone a fag and saying "I hate gays" is not a hate crime. Beating up a gay person because they are gay is. Do you see the difference?"

No i dont see the difference mate. A crime is just that! IMHO tagging hate on the front debases the notion. Why should an assault on gay black or any other individual be different?
edit on 13-10-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)


I kind of wrestled with that same notion when I wrote it, so I can't fault you for disagreeing, as it crossed my mind typing that post, but the real reason I see it being different, is promotion.

If someone commits a crime because of their prejudice and the prejudice goes unaddressed, you are saying it's okay to be prejudice.

Now, I'm not saying that it should be against the law to be prejudice, however -- I think we should promote that it's not really okay, because it's not.

Hating a person because of the color of their skin is like hating something for no reason. And as long as you have people out there promoting their prejudice, you will continue to have crimes committed because of that prejudice. Matter of factly.

So encouraging people to not be prejudice with justice seems aptly fit. You know, you can't prove a hate crime unless you admit it was a hate crime.

So it doesn't really take anything away from those that choose to be prejudice, for example -- if that guy beats up a gay guy, because he's gay -- all he has to do, is keep that to himself and he wouldn't be charged with a hate crime.

At the end of the day, intentions matter in the crime.

For example;

Someone is speeding; he gets a ticket.

Someone is speeding, but on their way to the hospital with a person in critical condition in their vehicle who needs immediate care, he gets an escort, and not a ticket.

If I decide I want to kill some one, context matters.

I.E.

I'm being attacked and I decide to use lethal force even though it wasn't necessarily called for, but it could have been -- depends. The outcome of that is a charge that is either, Murder One, Manslaughter, or Dropped Charges.

Now if I was being attacked by a gay person, and I didn't have to use lethal force, and I did -- because I hate gays -- I should be charged with a higher degree of murder, which is equivalent to being charged of murder and a hate crime.

Essentially the "Hate crime" is not a crime, it's an affix to a charge, and can only be used in proper context.


You don't have to agree; and I do understand your position as again -- as I was typing that I wrestled with that myself, but upon further thinking about it, it's no different then lessening or hardening a charge based on the context of the crime committed.

And no matter what, I don't think all crimes should be punished equally -- I'm a firm believer in they should be punished accordingly, and that context matter greatly, for each and every crime is a unique set of circumstances, and should be treated accordingly, instead of blanketed.

Otherwise, the guy trying to save the life of the person in his car who needed immediate care would be getting a ticket every time.

So, either context matters, or it doesn't, but it's 100% one way or the other. And personally, I think context should matter every time, because some laws can be broken in order to save people, and if we are going to punish someone who made the right decision that's just wrong -- IMO.
edit on 13-10-2012 by Laykilla because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla
 



I did read the report, the report very specifically states that calling someone fat could become a hate crime.


You did not read the report. It has no mention of hate crime in it. By your argument I can now call you a liar.

reply to post by ollncasino
 



I suspect that a lot of people who assert that we shouldn't worry about the report's proposal that calling someone fat should be a hate crime, actually agree with the proposal.

This has gone beyond political correctness. It is transparent social engineering enforced by criminal law.


Weasel words Ol? I'm not in agreement with what you call 'the proposal.' I notice you've suddenly switched from *maybe* and *could* to 'enforced by criminal law.' Strawman much?

You're making a great deal about 'hate crimes' and somehow avoiding every opportunity to mention the actual contents of the report. Have you read it or did you just go off the Telegraph article? Do you even care about the issues in the report or just want to chat about the imaginary ifs and maybes of a world where you can't call people fat? Seems like you're quick to share your fears about not being able to call people names and slow to worry about the problems of self-image.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
To the people moaning about calling people fat-you do realize this is just another way to keep the people(mostly the kids)nice and soft,then they are easier to control treating government like a god who can solve their problems.Stick and stones springs to mind.Haven't read the whole article but will this include gingers too?
edit on 13/10/2012 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
You can't believe in "Free Speech", and also censor people for things that might offend someone.....and mostly this is an issue between kids....grown-ups generally don't go around insulting others , but, kids can be cruel sometimes....that's where we come in teaching our children to be thoughtful human beings.....

I would much rather see efforts used to teach healthy nutrition habits to kids in school, provide healthy lunches in schools, excrcise classes for kids...lol...and for God's sake put a few larger seats in airplanes....cause sitting next to a "fatty" is no fun!



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Laykilla
 


I think we are on the same page mate. Its just political correctness that causes any division or decent.



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Weasel words Ol? I'm not in agreement with what you call 'the proposal.' I notice you've suddenly switched from *maybe* and *could* to 'enforced by criminal law.' Strawman much?


The group of MPs and Peers suggest that calling someone fat or obese could become a criminal offense.

I fail to see where you confusion arises.



edit on 13-10-2012 by ollncasino because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel
 


"You can't believe in "Free Speech", and also censor people for things that might offend"

Sense at last, you tell em mate!





new topics

top topics



 
16
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join