It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hair color when TSHTF.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_[

When SHTF the elders will be the brains and the younger the arms just like it was with natives, although the chief was the chief he consulted the elders and very rarely went against their advises...

edit on 4-10-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

Younger people on ATS survival threads tend to talk about killing anybody who get in their way.
I don't know if they will think about what they will need in 6 month but instead will think about what they want now.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

I don't see myself outright shooting anyone who poses no threat to me.

Thank God someone feels that way!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
Maybe you shouldn't be working around seniors. Having less regard for them if they have grey hair? The majority of them have grey hair. When I worked at a nursing home hair color never crossed my mind in how I regard people. Good god.

To stay on this absurd topic. If people wanted to dye their hair they could do it with onion peels.. but who will have enough onions for long enough, and enough water to make the dye? Absurd.

Um, I am a senior. I honestly stated that I react more positively to seniors with darker hair than those with grey hair. Society conditioning?

The topic is not dying your hair after a disaster.

The fopic is will people with grey hair be at a disadvantage after TSHTF and fewer survive than people without grey hair.

I think it is a fair question.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
If SHTF well and truly, I promise you my hair color will be very low on my list of concerns.

You might not care but how will others respond to you? Will they share their food or kill you for yours?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

yes, lots of people will die from lack of medicine.

I am glad you will not be killing of seniors.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I am not talking about fitness. I am talking about people responding to grey hair.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

The topic is will people with grey hair be at a disadvantage after TSHTF and fewer survive than people without grey hair.

Of course the elderly with have a much tougher time in a SHTF scenario but I think it will be more to do with physical limitations than the reaction of others. 

Personally, I'm more inclined to help the elderly than shun them. Maybe it was the way I was raised. I'm 38 so I can't tell you how younger people think. I can tell you that I would be more inclined to help an elderly person than a 20-something. 

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Quite honestly, and I know this won't sound nice but...

I would really watch out for the 60+ crowd. Especially the women. They are manipulative, smart, and grabby.
Many of the women I know who are that age will take advantage effectively of any situation and they honestly don't give a dam about anyone else. Unless you are their child or grandchild. They would probably shot you first and never ask questions later. Anyone who lives that long has skills already, they didn't do it by accident.

I see this now in our society. This group gossips heavily and says the most petty remarks. Did anyone watch that Tina lady win survivor many years ago? They will sweet talk you and stab you in the back.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Double

Operator error
edit on 5-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by NotThat

Really old people will be looked at as a burden in the beginning.. They'd have to prove their case. Can they fish without a rod? Can they hunt? Make traps? Know how to get clean water? Can they keep up? Things like that..

Too funny. It's the grey haired people who know how to do all that stuff. The younger generation is lost without hamburger helper and a computer.

The power went out in Honolulu not long back, so nobody could cook. In another part of town the power WAS on and McDonalds was open. But unfortunately, the location of the computers operating the cash registers was in a dark part of town. The counter people were befuddled because they did not know how to make change. Neither did their supervisors. So they recruited some old ladies from the crowd to make change because they didn't know how to do it without pushing a picture of a Big Mac.

Grey haired people will be the only ones who know how to do anything useful in a SHTF scenario. All the younger generation has learned how to do in their short uneventful and clueless lives is complain. Better be nice to the old people because they are the ones that are going to save your butts.
edit on 10/5/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter
reply to post by NotThat

You think your chance of survival depends on the color of your hair?

Son, you do not seem to be one of those slated to last in an assumed after-armageddon enviroment. Ask me why?

I am not saying it will.
I am asking if it will.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

What treatment do I give?
I am a senior with grey hair.
I noticed that I responded differently to people with grey hair and am considering dying my hair because of that.

I never said I was mean to anyone.

I am curious if grey hair will reduce my chances of survial.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jryan06
I absolutely love reading questions like this. It makes me wonder what possibly brought this to a point where it was important enough to throw out to the 'net for an answer.
If and when the SHTF, I really don't think people will be checking out hair color. Maybe 5 or 6 months into it, someone might go..hey he/she has grey hair. Are they pulling their weight or not.
I don't want to be sarcastic or snarky ..I just really wonder where these questions come from

I just read 2 books about plague survivors and it had me thinking about how youth after Katrena and Haitie reacted to the helpless (the old and the young) by stealing their food and water. The youth used violence or threats of violence to steal from others (using guns and kitchen knives).

In one book the characters killed anyone who came within their area, regardless of age, gender, or sickness.

In the other book a small tribe formed around a group who could procreate.

Just had me thinking about looking old.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tidycat
You disreguard people with gray hair? Could it be that you spend a lot of time looking at your flaws in the mirror as opposed to the flaws in your personality? I don't care if you follow me or not. I possess skills derived from the service and other places to survive without you so don't flatter yourself. People who are condenscending can go their own way and stay out of my camp because ugly spirit is not welcome.

So you have grey hair and don't think others will kill you because of it, and then steal all your stuff?

Insults don't answer the question asked.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by NotThat

Will people discount grey elders or refuse to help them (as useless eaters)?

Well…..that depends on how that grey haired elder carries himself.

At first I laughed out loud.
Then I looked at this guy and wondered how well he would do surrounded by a gang yielding clubs, knives, boards, or whatever. He might be a target just for his stuff.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I can tell you that I would be more inclined to help an elderly person than a 20-something. 

Thank you.
Cities have problems with gangs now consisting mostly of teens and 20s.
They don't seem to respect anyone.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
Quite honestly, and I know this won't sound nice but...

I would really watch out for the 60+ crowd. Especially the women. They are manipulative, smart, and grabby.
Many of the women I know who are that age will take advantage effectively of any situation and they honestly don't give a dam about anyone else. Unless you are their child or grandchild. They would probably shot you first and never ask questions later. Anyone who lives that long has skills already, they didn't do it by accident.

I see this now in our society. This group gossips heavily and says the most petty remarks. Did anyone watch that Tina lady win survivor many years ago? They will sweet talk you and stab you in the back.

OMG! You are so funny. I just spent a week with my parents and all their old friends/old relatives to celebrate a wedding anniversary.

Nasty gossip and petty remarks were the only conversation that wasn't about the weather.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

I have less regard for those who would judge a person by their gray hair so... I guess it would even out?

There would be people like me who would respect the older folks who actually know how to do stuff since the rest of us can't do crap without modern conveniences. Then there would be the rest who would abandon the old people in fear of being slowed down.

I'm pretty sure my group's gonna be better off. I'd rather have a bunch of old survivalists than a bunch of young techies when I'm trying to figure out which side of the fishing pole to throw in the water.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
. Better be nice to the old people because they are the ones that are going to save your butts.
edit on 10/5/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the perfect example.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Thank you.
Cities have problems with gangs now consisting mostly of teens and 20s.
They don't seem to respect anyone.

If you’re worried about prepping or dealing with the potential of a SHTF scenario then, just my advice, you might want to drop the hair color concerns and seek alternative surroundings….just a thought. I know it’s not possible for everyone to relocate but consider your ‘bug out’ scenarios and make it PRIORITY ONE to get the hell out of the urban area rather than trying to ride it out. You won’t survive in an urban setting regardless your age or hair color.

Just my $.02

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join