It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hair color when TSHTF.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Seriously, though, the native American tribes way of life may have some answers for this. Old men were considered the wisest and were generally the leaders, with sometimes the oldest women having voting and final say rights. The old women took care of the children while the younger women gathered and did heavier chores. They would have been the best child caretakers, teaching the young the ways of the tribe and how to act honorably; (how wonderful to have several grannies and granpas!) but, and here's something quite telling; if the tribe was very low on food for a long time, especially during the winter, the oldest women were known to go off into the woods to die in a final attempt to preserve the bloodlines and the young.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
As soon as we all realize the S is about to HTF, ALL hair will turn gray!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by NotThat

I think in the beginning stages it's only natural to look for the strongest bunch of people. Basically the typical masculine guy, or sexy woman. Kids will get by in some areas if they're cute..

Really old people will be looked at as a burden in the beginning.. They'd have to prove their case. Can they fish without a rod? Can they hunt? Make traps? Know how to get clean water? Can they keep up? Things like that..

If you look muscular you should be fine. Also if you just have a commanding attitude you're fine too. I'll argue with anybody. I'd argue with the president if I saw him on the street. No one is above me if they are wrong. Haha..

False... who are you going to turn to when you'll wonder how to live in a world prior to our technological nightmare? The ones that were there before it all begun... Grand'ma's remedies, grand-pa's fishing and hunting tricks... Most kids that can't pass 30 seconds without texting are doomed... Remember when SHTF the internet is gone... there's no such thing as lets google edible stuff or how to do a shelter or makeshift a decently safe chimney that won't result in death by asphyxiation...

They'll teach you how to make lye, soap, process animal fats, make leather to manage soil to get stuff growing what to use to make nutriments such as ashes and eggshells or molasse and without depending on miracle grow and other commercial stuff...

When SHTF the elders will be the brains and the younger the arms just like it was with natives, although the chief was the chief he consulted the elders and very rarely went against their advises...

edit on 4-10-2012 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by NotThat

I believe that in a true SHTF scenario people will be less concerned about judging people by how they look and more concerned by what they can contribute.

Would you give an older person a chance to explain their skills or just shoot them for their supplies?

I don't see myself outright shooting anyone who poses no threat to me.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Maybe you shouldn't be working around seniors. Having less regard for them if they have grey hair? The majority of them have grey hair. When I worked at a nursing home hair color never crossed my mind in how I regard people. Good god.

To stay on this absurd topic. If people wanted to dye their hair they could do it with onion peels.. but who will have enough onions for long enough, and enough water to make the dye? Absurd.

Now we're talking about shooting old people for their supplies, or allowing them to explain their skills? What a fun roleplaying action video game it will be I'm sure..
edit on 10/4/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
While I'm not graying due to young age and hair color shade, I used to dye my hair a lot. It actually doesn't feel bad now with a natural color. In a sense preparing but at the same time taking better care through lower maintenance. Chemical developers are not healthy to dangerous anyway. In a sense I am preparing by staying natural but also am interested in the natural alternatives. Here's a few tips I that found...

Cover Gray- rosemary, sage

Color Boosts
blonde-chamomile
brunette-walnut husks
red-henna

Henna which isn't limited to just red shades.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
If SHTF well and truly, I promise you my hair color will be very low on my list of concerns.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It has to be camo, sort of wavy, blend in well.

A great many of the older people will be unable to sustain themselves when medication supplies run down. Same for all the people on replacement meds. Thyroid replacement meds as one example. Same for asthma meds. Many older people are alive to to advanced meds and thus will die off.

As for do we shoot them all, well, only if your an idiot. Older people will be the child minders, gardeners, cooks etc etc. Gives the young ones time to hunt and kill themselves off due to having little real experience. Hunting takes on a whole new meaning when the game shoots back.

The primary survivors will be the special forces vets.

P

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Age is just a number! I know folks that are in their 30's or 40's and act like they are in their 80s and some even look it. I know 50 60 and 70 year olds that can out work most 20 year olds. It really depends on what kind of shape you are in.

I am in my 50's and still work out with a local MMA fight team and can hold my own just fine with them. When i whip some of their asses I tell them age and treachery will beat youth and speed any day

Exercise and proper diet is the key to staying young, Here is a video of a women in her 70s who looks more like she is in her 40's or 50's and she did not start working out till she was in her 50's Very inspirational...

here is another guy 62

And one more

With new understanding about how the body responds you do not have to be a gym rat or run marathons daily to stay fit. Walking with short sprints and lifting weights like your body or kettle bells etc. as our ancestors once did to survive and live daily life hunting and gathering will keep you fit.

edit on 5-10-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

You think your chance of survival depends on the color of your hair?

Son, you do not seem to be one of those slated to last in an assumed after-armageddon enviroment. Ask me why?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
I have been grey since my early 20s. I have been teaching a class at a senior center and realize that I have less regard for seniors with grey hair.

I wonder if people who dye their hair will have better odds of surviving after a disaster than those with grey hair.

Will people discount grey elders or refuse to help them (as useless eaters)?

Will people see grey haired elders as holding possible knowledge about survival such as gardening skills or food preserving skills?

People who stop dying their hair really look odd. Will they be at a disadvantage when they look a bit skunky?

And THIS is what you spent your energy thinking about in SHTF scenario???? Amazing...simply amazing. You deserve the same treatment you give.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
all the women i take as slaves will be pink and purple

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I absolutely love reading questions like this. It makes me wonder what possibly brought this to a point where it was important enough to throw out to the 'net for an answer.
If and when the SHTF, I really don't think people will be checking out hair color. Maybe 5 or 6 months into it, someone might go..hey he/she has grey hair. Are they pulling their weight or not.
I don't want to be sarcastic or snarky ..I just really wonder where these questions come from

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You disreguard people with gray hair? Could it be that you spend a lot of time looking at your flaws in the mirror as opposed to the flaws in your personality? I don't care if you follow me or not. I possess skills derived from the service and other places to survive without you so don't flatter yourself. People who are condenscending can go their own way and stay out of my camp because ugly spirit is not welcome.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Will people discount grey elders or refuse to help them (as useless eaters)?

Well…..that depends on how that grey haired elder carries himself.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Thanks for the web site.
I wasn't really thinking about people being vain about their looks. I was more interested in survival with grey hair.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

You do sound well prepared.
However a few grey hairs don't make you grey haired.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by corvuscorrax
[

Farming, animal husbandry, botany, carpentry these are skills that older people are more likely to have.

I agree with you. Older people tend to have more pratical skills.
I am just not sure if they will be allowed to live long enough to show those skills.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

I'm old enough to remember NO TEEVEE and I have every single copy of Whole Earth Catalog ever printed. And actual books to read and to learn from. Compared to you smooth skinned dark heads, we're walking encyclopedias.

No contest.

Ha Ha Ha.
Well, living longer does have advantages.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Seriously, though, the native American tribes way of life may have some answers for this. Old men were considered the wisest and were generally the leaders, with sometimes the oldest women having voting and final say rights. The old women took care of the children while the younger women gathered and did heavier chores. They would have been the best child caretakers, teaching the young the ways of the tribe and how to act honorably; (how wonderful to have several grannies and granpas!) but, and here's something quite telling; if the tribe was very low on food for a long time, especially during the winter, the oldest women were known to go off into the woods to die in a final attempt to preserve the bloodlines and the young.

I also though about this. However today's culture does not honor older people, especially women. I am not sure how we would get from our current beliefs to one where older people were honored and valued.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join