It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous - Operation Pirate Bay

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

So again...WHO HERE COMMENTING.... OWNS A COPYRIGHT?

Me!

I wrote an ebook in 2007 (a niche area of alternative health) and began selling it online.

It was a creative project, so the writing kind of did itself. I'm of the opinion that anyone who has produced truly creative work knows it comes form source, not from mind, and when you are in flow it's effortless! When you ain't in flow and 'receiving' your art sucks anyway. Selling crappy art is anathema to a creative individual.

The ebook did really well and was earning a couple of grand a month just after launch.

Now it's all over peer to peer and ebay etc, and sales are down to a few hundred if we are lucky

I'm stoked that it was so well received, and love that people share it freely to benefit each other.

It was a small expression of my art. As it was inspired, I don't consider it mine, my ideas or even my information. As it was inspired work, the reward was in the doing and seeing people benefit, the fun was in the creation.

I am very pleased and feel privileged that I got to make a bit of money out of it (we put most of the $100k earned into a local alternative school project that I'm now running).

Copyrighting information to me is a very clear expression of fear (greed is also fear driven) - just my opinion.

You can shove your copyright and trademark up your arse (not personally directed, a generalised point of view!)

I understand people's "need to make a living" but if they are doing that by attempting to protect the illusory ownership of a unique expression, I suspect they are missing the point or at the very least, causing themselves a lot of unnecessary suffering.

For me, money and art/contribution just don't play well together!

Does that answer your question?
edit on 4-10-2012 by RogerT3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2012 by RogerT3 because: f'n word filters

Another edit to add: Coincidentally, just after reading this thread I went to an exercise class with a local female instructor who helps women improve their health, especially those in pain and those who are pregnant. She has just today, received a notice demanding 1,000 euro in fines for using a particular CD during the class. This is not Beverley Hills, it is virtually Eastern Europe, 1000 Euro is equivalent to several months takings. It could close her business. This is the kind of disgusting activity that makes my skin crawl.

This is why I decided to post here, and I got carried away with my own story, and almost forgot hers. This is the kind of action these copyright monkeys take, intimidating the little people, it feels like a protection racket (yeah I know there are laws, but really, fk any arseholic law/statute that prioritises the profit of corporations over the good of people!)

I am going to put a lot of energy into helping her fight this one, as I believe the demand is likely to be fraudulent and probably a fishing exercise in any case. Fun days ahead!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The Pirate Bay Is Down, but Not Dead. Just Experiencing Power Failure

www.geekosystem.com...

Even though these past few months have been somewhat scary for popular torrent communities, with Demonoid getting busted and UKNova willfully taking itself out of the game to avoid a future legal issue, the most popular torrenting community, The Pirate Bay, is still holding strong. Except, at the time of this writing, it actually isn’t holding together too well. The Pirate Bay is down as of this post, but don’t fret, it’s not due to some legal issue. Whenever The Pirate Bay goes down, torrenting enthusiasts pretty much freak out — partly because TPB is a fairly easy community in which to find what torrent one is looking for, but also because it’s the biggest target to get shutdown, and has experience various legal issues in the past. However, luckily for fans, the torrent site hasn’t hit any legal snag, and is simply down due to power failure. Word is that the The Pirate Bay has simply hit a power failure due to a problem with a power distribution unit, which couldn’t be more appropriately named in relation to a power failure. So, never fear, torrenters, you’ll simply have to wait a bit, or try an alternative site, before you can download all that Sunday TV you missed last night.

Some Anons are jumping to conclusions it seems all though TPB was raided last week the outage is unrelated or is it? Anon's organized chaos should be directed to the sweedish government so i agree with this #op.

- some old dude

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The Bay is up and working fine for me. Faster than usual actually.

I see my ebook has two new uploaders and someones even made/upped a screen saver. Gonna download that now

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strainz
reply to post by nightbringr

Here we go the fall back, the little guy. What are the stats on the "little guys" losing out? I mean its all nay say until you provide something we can work with here...

Most people would skim the surface when it came to the problem or piracy. There isn't a real action anyone can take, not everyone downloads for the same reason.

You simply dont believe its possible for independants to make apps, or are you simply in denial?

Yes, believe it or not, in the world of smart phone apps, there are many little guys trying to make a name for themselves. Honest, hard working people with mouths to feed. But you dont want to hear that, do you, you might actually feel a conscience inside there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
I'm all for the fight against censorship on the internet but doesn't pirate Bay essentially operate to further the theft of other peoples property i.e. music, videos and software?

Well...its considered to be a fuzzy line (whether it really should be or not.) if I buy a book, I can let you read it. If I buy a CD, I can let you borrow it. However, I can't legally photocopy the book or make copies of the CD. What "pirates" are arguing is that the media exists in this ethereal form (data on a storage drive somewhere), so the way to let another person use it is for that person to pull said data down from the internet for usage.

Clearly, it is used so that people don't have to buy the product, but again, you don't have to buy a book if you can borrow a copy. The issue then stands - if you're borrowing my book, I can't very well read it at the same time, now can I?

I think ultimately, the best a company can do is to offer special incentive to those who purchase original. Much like video game releases - pre-order, and you get a single-use code for a special weapon that someone who copies, or buys second-hand can't get. Or like Final Fantasy XI/XIV or WoW...press as many copies as you want, you can't play the game unless you pay the monthly fee. Media companies just need to get smarter, and accept their new reality.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
i can think of dozens of movies that i love so much that i WILL own a legit copy of.
or music.

but there is so much sh** out there these days. i perhaps would like to see several other movies, but they arent good enough to own...

i cant even think of a single musician's cd of the last decade that has had more then 2 good songs on it. maybe the whores of the industries should raise the bar for themselves a little. when its all about money, you get less quality goods...

i cant even ass myself to go to my favored band's concerts when i know they are plugging their new cd and just playing it through.
perhaps a greatest hits concert/cd is worth my money.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Who here commenting OWNS a copyright, trademark or patent? Raise your hands. Thought so. Most of you here talk out of boths sides of your mouth at the same time.

I for one agree with "sharing"...but nearly all of you havent a clue about copyrights, trademarks and patents. That disturbs me. Or about what artists do or dont get...and you mostly 100% wrong.

Well, I'd love to hear your legal knowledge on this topic if we're mostly 100% wrong around here. It's quite a coincidence, as it happens here, that part of my Photography course in the past spring semester dealt with Copyright law and how it pertains to our work and other graphic art we produce going forward.

I have absolute legal copyright to thousands of images right now and that collection builds and builds all the time. The minute I hit the shutter button, I have a copyright established to the image I took and it was interesting looking at the court cases. One notable case was in London for two literal DIFFERENT photos..different days...but shot to match and from the precise same position. The guy must have just about marked and matched tripod placement and adjustments because they were damn near perfect too. The copycat lost. It didn't even matter that it wasn't the same picture. It was intended to be close and succeeded.......in violating the copyright of the original photographer.

The few small software programs I've written so far are absolutely copyrighted as my creation, as I've finished with them. I've yet to see something I've created pop up in the wild...and may never. Like I said, I'm no Bill Gates... just making some little stuff to get by. I'm not sure if I'll exercise my rights to enforce or not, though. Depends on what gets violated and how, I guess.

I'm not sure what you believe Copyright means or what you think it requires to establish one. It's established by law and precedent many times over now that the creator of intellectual or other creative work owns and has direct copyright to that work.....actionable in court if necessary....by default and upon it's creation. It's a pretty well tested legal theory as some people with considerably less money after some BIG lawsuits covering this can surely attest to.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I completely agree. I bought more movies and cd's because of downloads than I would have normaly. If I download a movie, which is not that often anyway, and I like it I buy it. It's as simple as that. I think "they" would rather I do that then get them at a used book store near my place for 4 bucks and not a dime goes to them then.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

But its not just the blockbusters. I for one buy the movies I want to see and know I will like. Sometimes I use this site to test the waters when I hear a movie sucks.

But on the otherhand, I had a favourite childhood cartoon that I could not find anywhere on the internet, to pay or not to pay, and due to licencing disagreements it was not ever released on D.V.D.... Pirate Bay was the one place I found it.. and it took me 3 weeks to download it.... that in itself was like paying for it.(Which I would have done, had it existed.)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Actually, what you are referring to is similar to making "mixed tapes" for your car... once you buy the origional product, it then becomes legal to make copies of it for your personal use.
As long as you do not use it for commercial purposes. So by "giving away" you mixed tapes, you are doing nothing illegal, as you are not profitting from them.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

Most likely are.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So were libraries the original p2p sharing sources? How were the received 400 years ago I wonder.

edit on 10/4/12 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
For myself all forms of information, in essense knowledge , should be free. Compensation and acclaim should be direct from the consumer to the artist.. I have some entire bandographies in very good digital pirate mp3 form. Most of my collection is the stuff I listened to growing up, and at that time I owned a copy. At risk of dating myself, I owned 8-tracks, vinyls, cassettes and CDs.. Some recordings (Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon), I purchased in all formats listed.

I still purchase media, but now I have discovered a monthly billed music service that suits my needs for music, and I do not have to store it all. Movies I get in all forms, mostly nefariously, but the great, and sometimes good ones I buy.

The artist and creator of a great (and to a lesser extent good) work should be rewarded to have incentive and encouragement to create more. That incentive for creation should be finite, voluntary, and direct (no corporate intermediaries) and not applied as if a tax on knowledge and information.

As an aside, one "pirate" I knew always called it "digital archiving". He claimed that he was keeping it all "for the survivors after a nuclear war".

I will side with anonymous on this one.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this BS corporate attitude of 'intellectual property,' and just in general models designed to maximize corporate profit at the expense of innovation and freedom of information, is coming to an end.

This is the information age. Things are going to change, drastically. The old models are no longer compatible with the modern world, and the rate at which we can exchange information. It comes down to which do we value more: innovation, progression, and evolution as a species...or corporate profits?

I choose the first...and that is what is going to happen, regardless. People can instantly share virtually anything on the computer, for everyone in the world to have, without needing to use any actual materials...that is AMAZING. This demonstrates the phenomenal capabilities of these new technologies. The world and its systems will adjust to the Information Age/Internet, and not the other way around.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This Anonymous, with all of their "hidden hand" tactics are only helping the government to take the internet from us. The government considers them "online t3rroists", which is why I suspect they are actually created and manned by the CIA. This might be another reason why they rarely attack politicians, the politicians are the ones pushing these freedom killing, tyrannical laws.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If I go to a friends house to watch a dvd, should I feel bad about not contributing any cash?

What if there was 30 of us there watching?

I don't see that as any different from downloading a movie then deleting it afterwards and lets face it, 95% of movies are crap anyway, it sucks that you have to pay to find that out. All the crap films i've paid to see and never had any of my money returned. The ones I really cherish I own on dvd and do lend them to friends and family, i'm a bad boy!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I think it's funny how we can justify to ourselves how theft is not theft given the right circumstances or viewpoint supporting the idea that corporations are evil. I also don't quite see the argument that piracy is just the sharing of ones own files because that's not whats happening! People are not generally sharing files they purchased but rather passing along property they got for free so it's a win win situation for the file sharer. If you pay fifteen thousand bucks for a suite of production software, I think it unlikely you would upload it for the world to share for free! I mean really North America would only need one person to purchase Photoshop then simply put it online as their own personal file and Adobe lays off a couple of thousand people. God help us if this mentality moves beyond the digital realm

Lets take this out of the digital realm for a second.. if i purchase a loaf of bread and meat and make some tasty subs then proceed to give said subs away am i a pirate?? If your thinking is correct i am. See the kind folks i supplied the subs to should of ,by your reasoning bought their own breads and meats instead of accepting the ones i paid for. Thus making them theives stealing from the butcher and the baker since the sundries were sold to me not them. Quick call the police i hear the food bank is is feeding hundreds of those dasterdly free loaders.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

I'm all for the fight against censorship on the internet but doesn't pirate Bay essentially operate to further the theft of other peoples property i.e. music, videos and software?

Yep, and i for one am thankful for that.... On another note, who really gives a s*** what anonymous has to say....

They know your IP address and if they wanted they could probably make you eat your words !!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I absolutely love these guys videos! it does not even matter what the content is, it pumps me up and makes me want to loot and riot in the streets while listening to Dub-step =D
Then i remember that i have to be at work at 7am....meh, maybe this weekend..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join