Anonymous - Operation Pirate Bay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I'm in 2 minds like a lot of people.

On one hand, downloading something that you weren't going to buy anyway isn't going to cut their profits.

On the other hand, thinking like that there's nothing different than copying music, games etc than making copies of money.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

"Now there' s a difference between downloading something for your enjoyment and downloading something for your financial gain. Selling pirated stuff is wrong. Using pirated software to do things like make a career ( ie photoshop) is also wrong.

This is an unpopular opinion. I know that. I fully, 100% support the free sharing of information. I do not support the theft of intellectual property for financial gain. "

yah wanted to add something in like this in my last post, great point, i meant to mention, so long as you are not re-selling someone elses work as your own, or making money off of it. honestly after ten years all music, movies art work ,writing ,should be public domain. information is what helps humans evolve, if everything has a price tag in life, only the already rich will benefit.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Now there' s a difference between downloading something for your enjoyment and downloading something for your financial gain. Selling pirated stuff is wrong. Using pirated software to do things like make a career ( ie photoshop) is also wrong.

That is correct. We stand at a crossroads - either we allow free access to information for everyone, greatly enhancing life on this planet for all -

or we restrict access to information, and let some corrupt businessmen and politicians try to control it for a profit, or to gain power over the individual.

Everyone, understand this - freedom to information has the power to be the single best thing that has ever happened to mankind.

Know this - freedom to information will make your life better, and losing access to it will leave you in a world where you are at the mercy of the information brokers.

Do NOT let this chance go. Take a stand.
edit on 4-10-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
if it weren't for piracy, I wouldn't have gone to the concerts of the musicians that I have gone to, and bought their overpriced shirts, thus more directly supporting the artists in question then purchasing their entire discography, CD by CD.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I’d prefer to support artists by going to their gigs and to festivals rather than paying well over the odds for an album, most of which does not go to them. I’d like to see a percentage break down of where the money goes from the sale of an album.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Who here commenting OWNS a copyright, trademark or patent? Raise your hands. Thought so. Most of you here talk out of boths sides of your mouth at the same time.

I for one agree with "sharing"...but nearly all of you havent a clue about copyrights, trademarks and patents. That disturbs me. Or about what artists do or dont get...and you mostly 100% wrong.

There is not enought space here or time in a day to explain how pecentages work, residuals work...who gets what or who doesnt and why. If an artist owns his music, painting or designs...he gets paid.

One initial purchase...and 10-to-friends pass-ons is 10 less sales.

And "artist makes their money from touring"? Hardly. Riders. Health insurance, pre diem daily allowances on tour...support for up to 100 people staging the event and UNION tour bus riders (most times me you need 2 of them)..and the list goes on and on. Contracted lighting and sound companies and workers, riggers and stage hands.

Also...there are legal fees, guarantees, lawyers, managers etc, etc for each and EVERY TOUR.

Saying all this...I AGREE with the free sharing of information. Its just HOW to...and most of the response here explain it with clueles opinions and explainations without I having any real knowledge.

Freedom and the free flowing of information is good. So are the warnings on every piece of music, dvd, CD, and video game produced. Every one.

So again...WHO HERE COMMENTING.... OWNS A COPYRIGHT?.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Say I purchased a game years ago, lost the CD's but still have the case and I want to play the game again, would downloading the game from a torrent site be theft? or not because I had previously purchased the game. Lets say I bought a game for PS3 and wanted to play it on PC with other friends, but I download it from a torrent site is it theft? or not because I have already purchased it, just for a different machine.

In 1903 the four Warner brothers bought a used Edison Kinetoscope projector for $1,000 and repaired it. They began showing what they called the "magic lantern pictures" on the walls in beer halls. 1909 Edison's General Film Co. sued Warner Brothers for violating their copyright to the motion picture machine and forced them to close their company. At that time, the Warners and other Jews were making illegal films in Brooklyn. They fled Edison's private detectives for Los Angeles where lax laws let them steal the film business away from Thomas Edison.

Ideas are stolen by these massive global industries all the time and the individuals who are at a loss get nothing in return.

Stealing from a bank account and downloading a torrent are not the same, end of story.

Hollywood clearly has been the biggest pirate out of everyone, enough said.

The gaming industry fails to please its customers by not releasing demo's, or games worth the dollar. When Americas dollar failed hard the prices of games in countries like Australia remained the same even till this day, double the price most other countries pay electronically or hard copied.

No wonder people would rebel against an industry built on lies or ripping off its customers.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I own copyright on the art I produce for customers unless they purchase the rights to it.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Lol, these Anonymous "kids" are just that, kids. They claim all this monumental stuff they've found and they're going to release, then they never follow up. I believe they are a disinformation group. Sigh

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The gatekeeper model is dead.

Now my argument only applies to digital media here. Movies, Games & Music.

This argument also applies to large name, large label, large production etc..

The little guy deserves his money and you should always purchase your independant, indie media at full price.

They don't have the resources these other shmucks do.

Now, onto the crux of the matter.

You can't tell me, that by downloading a movie for free, that I cost that company a significant ammount of money. Not when that particular movie made a BILLION dollars at the box office.

That's just BOX OFFICE ticket sales.

That's not millions more you'll make in DVD purchases, merchandise, special events. Sponsorships with other companies ( like pepsi) or product placement from the actual filming of the movie.

The same goes for the music industry. You sold 100 Thousand copies of your CD. That's a lot of cash for a label, not the artist. The artist is already agreed to be paid a certain ammount for their work. They ( as far as I understand) make their money on tours, merchandise, digital media sales ( Itunes) and of course, the label gets a cut of every blank CD sold.

Now there' s a difference between downloading something for your enjoyment and downloading something for your financial gain. Selling pirated stuff is wrong. Using pirated software to do things like make a career ( ie photoshop) is also wrong.

This is an unpopular opinion. I know that. I fully, 100% support the free sharing of information. I do not support the theft of intellectual property for financial gain.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 10/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)
edit on 10/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

I whole heartily agree with you that the gatekeeper model is dead. I see this as another example of crony capitalism where the entrenched companies force a business model on the public and expect it to never change. I see the media industry is evolving and changing no matter what the crony capitalists do. They will lose power and then try to manipulate the new industry using their power to retain control of the new business model.

As a former reporter I understand the need to protect intellectual property but the MSM and other media also want limit competition by using intellectual property as a weapon against the new media model.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by minkmouse

File sharing is not true piracy. These are people sharing their own copies of a product, that's all it is.

The companies can't claim money on it so they have to make stuff up and make it seem like a bad thing so they can force consumers to buy their product and get richer.

And to top it off, most of that money is not going to the artists, it's going to the lawyers and the people who own the rights to the works.

edit on 3-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

As an artist, I only agree with the latter half of what you said. Copyright law is so mangled it's unbelievable. I still haven't released my music for profit because I can't afford to hire a copyright attorney to make sure I'm covered if someone files suit against me for using samples or think that my original work somehow copies theirs.

It's out of control....I'm not against file sharing - not at all - but I also think if you enjoy the software / music / movies that you pirate you should purchase them. If our Government would fix copyright laws I'd espouse that even more - because your right - an artist makes music under a label and he literally sees pennies on the dollar. All because of the terrible copyright laws in this country.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindBodyAndSoul
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Lol, these Anonymous "kids" are just that, kids. They claim all this monumental stuff they've found and they're going to release, then they never follow up. I believe they are a disinformation group. Sigh

Take a look at alot of the guys the FBI / NSA has busted so far. Many of them are in their 30's. If these adults are considered "kids" then I guess I'm a "kid" too.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
I’d prefer to support artists by going to their gigs and to festivals rather than paying well over the odds for an album, most of which does not go to them. I’d like to see a percentage break down of where the money goes from the sale of an album.

Most performing artists would thank you for this. All of them make more money on tours then on record deals. Hell, look at Jennifer Lopez. She left AMERICAN IDOL to Tour because they didn't offer her enough money as compared to going on tour.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
reply to post by tothetenthpower

"Now there' s a difference between downloading something for your enjoyment and downloading something for your financial gain. Selling pirated stuff is wrong. Using pirated software to do things like make a career ( ie photoshop) is also wrong.

This is an unpopular opinion. I know that. I fully, 100% support the free sharing of information. I do not support the theft of intellectual property for financial gain. "

yah wanted to add something in like this in my last post, great point, i meant to mention, so long as you are not re-selling someone elses work as your own, or making money off of it. honestly after ten years all music, movies art work ,writing ,should be public domain. information is what helps humans evolve, if everything has a price tag in life, only the already rich will benefit.

HI Widowmaker ... isn't watching a movie or song borrowed by thousands stealing? I understand file sharing and I don't think any company can stop friends from lending copies of their movies to each other. But lending your digital copy of a movie or cd to someone you don't personally know is theft one movie at a time.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I started buying music when it was the LP or Cassette. Then it was cassette to CD and now it is MP3. I cant play my cassettes anymore my player broke. No cars have cassette players anymore. What do I do with my cassettes well I went through them all and wrote download all the songs I wanted off of them and then downloaded them. I wasn't going to pay for them twice. They keep changing the formats and the players get fazed out. I shared my tapes with friends and even taped off the radio and we all made mixed tapes.
It did take me awhile to get songs I like to make a CD with so much junk out there. I use to Kazzaa, Limewire,Bearshare. Aresgalaxy. I even used Napster. Everything keeps changing and it is hard to keep up. Now I am just using Youtube and converting them to MP3's. Who makes these programs that you can do this and the different files that come in different formats and the program you have to use to convert them. These programs are free too.. Now what is the next format that makes CD's go the way of the 8 track. Dvd's and will be all Blueray soon. Now I will have to buy a blueray player.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The truth is you are all thieves.

You still from artists, both big and small.

You do not buy go out and purchase products that you enjoy.

You "want" something, so you "take" it. It really is that simple.

You hide behind some twisted morality where the companies are selling you an inferiour product and therefore you should get it for free.

Every copy shared is a copy not sold.

If you pay $19.99 for my product...that was the charge for your one copy of my product. That isn't up to you to seed a digital tsunami of potentially thousands of copies (no-sales).

You do not care about the little guy. You are a thief. Just own it and be like a real pirate instead of a little weasel.

For the idiots who claim they are merely sharing "ones and zeroes"...get a grip. The ones and zeroes are just how it is being distributed. Why don't you just read the binary code of your favorite movie next time.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Everyone keeps going on about the "big bad corporations or movie studios" and how much money they make. No one is talking about the little guy who tries to feed his family from writing Iphone apps. Jailbreaking and pirating these apps can cause little guys to go hungry.

But naw, who cares, right? As long as you get your apps for free!
edit on 4-10-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Here we go the fall back, the little guy. What are the stats on the "little guys" losing out? I mean its all nay say until you provide something we can work with here...

Most people would skim the surface when it came to the problem or piracy. There isn't a real action anyone can take, not everyone downloads for the same reason.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
We used to have Album Hour on a local radio show that played an entire album. I got many albums recorded in stereo this way on cassette and it was legal. I could even share a copy with a friend. The record companies didn't like this so they came out with CD's - better quality you could not copy to cassette tape - people would surly still buy the CD's. then CD recorders came out. Again the record companies didn't like this. Now we can share anything over the net because - it's digital.

If the record,software data etc companies really didn't want us to copy the stuff they should make an uncopy-able format. It's their own fault. If you leave something unprotected, don't feel bad when someone comes along and copies it - cops tell you this all the time when something gets stolen.

As for Pirate Bay, they had a power supply unit go down. It's that simple. No other raid had anything to do with it, Anonymous didn't have anything to do with it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join