It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus Not Allowed': Anti-Faith Sentiment Sweeps US

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I think it's sad, MamaJ. Just for praying over their food? I do that too (though not every time like I should).

Most people (regardless of religion) who pray aren't trying to push those beliefs on others. For example, I actually respect Muslims who adhere to their prayer rule of five times a day, and I don't see them as trying to push their beliefs on me.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Things tend to go in cycles. The hard hardcore swing to religion in the US in the 50s, where you saw it everywhere was mostly a reaction and defense against the godless communists. Then things began to swing back away in 60s and 70s followed by a reaction in the 80s and 90s and the rise of the organised evangelical moves into politcs now we have a organized political reaction against that. Organised religion has been on the decline in the US for sometime. It seems desperate to do anything to cling to power except adapt and move on. Political crusades by organised religion will continue to met by crusades against it. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

The ones holding these signs of massacre are in my opinion not understood and are in need of healing, not fueling the fire, which is what the US has been doing since before the first World War.

Their healing will come when infidels like you are dead, and that's how they see it. Go over there to those people waving that sign and see if they will stand and do nothing while you try to psychoanalysis them. They will lay hands on you, probably rape you, and then beat you to death.

We (the us) fuel fires, sensor the media, war with other nations, lie to the people, and expect peace!

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as peace in this world. You think this is just an isolated incident, that all wars come from the U.S.? Google Milosevik and Bosnian/Serbian conflicts. The U.S. didn't start Vietnam the French did, we just got left trying to clean up their mess and holding the bag. It has nothing to do with any one nation of peoples, it has to do with man doing what man does best. Sure, our government may generate conflicts in the M.E., to give people like those waving those signs something to focus on over there, to keep you safe in your own country, because if the Jihad isn't over there, then it's going to be over here. Now you know why our people went to Iraq and Afghanistan, it had nothing to do with freeing any of those people. It had to do with giving them targets to focus on to keep them at bay. Our people were human sacrifices to appease a certain bloodthirsty moongod to keep his wrath off of the rest of us over here.

Some conflicts are engineered from the U.S., like what goes on in the M.E., giving those people holding those signs something to focus on over there keeps them from coming over here and blowing you and your kids to bits
edit on 30-9-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

Freedom of speech to a point.

Holding a sign in favor of killing is not using the freedom of speech in a peaceful manner.

There is a difference.

The ones holding these signs of massacre are in my opinion not understood and are in need of healing, not fueling the fire, which is what the US has been doing since before the first World War.

We (the us) fuel fires, sensor the media, war with other nations, lie to the people, and expect peace!

edit on 30-9-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

Sorry Mama, we can't do that. These fanatics believe in their twisted religion just as much as Christians believe in theirs. It's called FREEDOM OF RELIGION. We can't go around saying, "You're religious beliefs are wrong and ours are right, so you can't practice your religion here."

I don't like it anymore than you do, but it doesn't change the fact that either there is freedom of (all) religious expression, or there is no freedom of religious expression.

If that were the case, then atheists that find Christianity an embarrassment to mankind should be able to tell Christians that they can't publicly display gruesome signs of the cross, put up nativity scenes around christmas, and can't go around saying Jesus is god and he loves you.

We can't tell the Jews that cutting off a length of a baby's penis is evil.
edit on 9/30/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
what happened to freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

freedom of religion is not to protect the state from religion but protect you from the state.

and its doing exactly that, they have twisted the 1st amendment yet again.

rome persecuted Christians and look what happened to them.

really?....look up "the dark ages" and see who controlled who....hint: blasphamy got you a death sentence. it lasted 400 to 600 years, depending on interpretation, and "the church" had absolute power. funny how the religous right people never talk about that.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeSigh
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Why shouldn't a student have been allowed to pray? Separation of church and state does not and should not prevent individual citizens from practicing their religion and having freedom of expression. She's not a teacher, so she isn't obligated to follow the rules of state/government employees. It's a completely different ball game from a public school teacher or administrator doing the same while on the job.

Two men from UCLA blessed their food the other day (no kids... all faculty) as they have for the last thirty years and today they are on leave and being sued.

Our rights are going bye, bye. We have been infiltrated BIG TIME!!!

Both parties are responsible for letting this happen over time. Neither can be trusted in my opinion.

provide a source or it didn't happen...and with that i'll bet it was A WHOLE LOT MORE than just blessing their food. and as far as religous rights going bye,bye??...i guess being able to force religious beliefs on someone else is a right. god says no same-sex marriage, god says no birth control or abortion, god says no gay rights...a "mythical being" forcing others to obey... non-believers are the ones losing rights.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

What you are doing is using a classic deflection technique meant to take the heat off of a subject while turning up the heat on another, similar subject.

Christian extremism and Muslim extremism have more in common than anyone is willing to admit.

Abortion clinic bombings == Suicide bombings

And if you think Sharia Law is bad? Wait until you get a load of the Spanish Inquisition and the Crusades.

Hoo boy, you'll be in for quite a shocker there as it completely destroys your pitiful attempt to deflect attention onto Muslims.

Have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
But...I love invisible magic cloud men also!!!

lol...

Anyhow, the rule is for no administration officials to lead in prayer, because...well, imagine the christians just collectively flipping out because the muslim teacher decided faith was needed in school and so started doing a call to prayer.

heh.

Anyhow, that is the reason why prayer in general in school isn't lead..kids can pray forever..hell, they can decide to pray instead of eat lunch, and go on and on about god. its the teachers that are meant to remain neutral..you don't want their scientology yammerings being flooded on your poor innocent christian childs ears now, do you?

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Praise be to science!

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
To jiggerj:

I defend everyone's right to freedom of religious expression, whether I agree with them or not. That means EVERYONE!

As long as your religious expression is speech I will defend it. If you are committing acts of violence (doing physical harm to anyone in expression of religious beliefs) I will not support it. I don't care WHAT religion you are.

edit on 30-9-2012 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by GoldenRuled

They didn't make a mean remark about Jesus... Christians are just over hyper offendable... John Lennon made a joke about being more popular than Jesus, that was it.

I find Jesus and John Lennon were and are both awesome and both of them have warmed my heart like most Christians could never, because they are too busy judging everything instead of loving everything.

If they had followed Jesus' teaching of tolerance then they wouldn't have this kind of thing directed at them. You reap what you sow, and that's right in the bible..

That's a terrible rule though. This reality all seems fake these days. Freedom of speech got stabbed in the back.

Isn't graduation after school is over? lol.. She's not free to say what ever she wants? I can see why you might not want teachers talking about all this stuff all the time, but the kids?? seems way over the top.
edit on 9/29/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

"You reap what you sow". I think it is more that the Cosmos gives you what you create. So if for example you feel depressed and act depressed, the cosmos says well OK so he/she wants depression and it gives you more of what you are putting out. So if one thinks of abundance, beauty, love, peace and light then that is what you will get. As a former Catholic and then a Mormon, I do not resonate at all with any organized religion, especially Abrahamic ones, which I find intolerant of others and demeaning toward women. AND I love my sista's
edit on 30-9-2012 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

jesus in these cases is just the foot in the door
dont complain about sharia law or muslim prayers/holidays
your religious beliefs are your own
stop insisting others toe the line with YOUR beliefs

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
To jiggerj:

I defend everyone's right to freedom of religious expression, whether I agree with them or not. That means EVERYONE!

As long as your religious expression is speech I will defend it. If you are committing acts of violence (doing physical harm to anyone in expression of religious beliefs) I will not support it. I don't care WHAT religion you are.

Hey, I agree. But, when Freedom of Religion is written as law, can we take it back and say, "Oh no, you can't kill people, sacrifice animals, whip your kids (spare the rod, spoil the child), or make your wives into submissive servants."

In other words, Freedom of Religion doesn't allow us to pick and choose what rituals are practiced in any religion. If you can demand that one part of somebody else's religion is not acceptable, then that somebody can tell you to scrape off the bumper sticker of "Jesus Loves You".

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is slowly being phased in. You can't say " merry Christmas" anymore. If you notice a lot of the big stores like Walmart. Target, at Christmas time won't have big banners using the word Christmas. It's" holidays" instead. You have to say " happy holidays" or " holiday greetings". Target banned the phrase merry Christmas in its stores and advertising a few years ago. The argument for this is well this is just to respect all other religions that have holidays around the same time.

It's even reflected in my auto correct on all my apple iPad . If I type god it doesn't correct it to be God., but it knows if I talk about Chaz Bono. Chaz isn't a common name and it doesn't suggest I use chad, chap or any other word. It capitalizes Chaz for me. If this wasn't true I couldn't type god with a lower case g right now. God is the only name it won't capitalize, unless its the first word in a sentence and that is capitalized by default, as in this sentence it did it for me. It will do the word Jesus for me because Jesus is now an acceptable first name and used in other languages. At one time you weren't allowed to name your baby or change your name to god or Jesus, or use those words in personalized license plates. Not sure if the latter is ok now. Its always been ok to put 666 in your license plate.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

To jiggerj:

Hey, I agree. But, when Freedom of Religion is written as law, can we take it back and say, "Oh no, you can't kill people, sacrifice animals, whip your kids (spare the rod, spoil the child), or make your wives into submissive servants."

In other words, Freedom of Religion doesn't allow us to pick and choose what rituals are practiced in any religion. If you can demand that one part of somebody else's religion is not acceptable, then that somebody can tell you to scrape off the bumper sticker of "Jesus Loves You".

I hear you, but we're talking about in the USA where freedom of speech and expression is guaranteed (and what I support) but also is guaranteed life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I cannot support when someone tries to take away life. But what some religions do within the laws of their own countries is on them. I don't live in one of those countries and am glad I don't. I don't have to agree with the woman in the picture to understand how she feels. I might feel the same in her circumstance. I feel fortunate that I am not.

Also, I don't have a "Jesus Loves You" bumpersticker. However I do have a shirt that reads "Jesus Loves You But The Rest Of Us Think You're An _________". T&Cs prevent me from filling in the blank, but you get the picture.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm sure if the Christian god existed, they would not be offended by being left out of a graduation speech or two...

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Also, I don't have a "Jesus Loves You" bumpersticker. However I do have a shirt that reads "Jesus Loves You But The Rest Of Us Think You're An _________". T&Cs prevent me from filling in the blank, but you get the picture.

LOL I love it!

On the downside, I've come up with at least one religion in the U.S. that sacrifices animals, and it has been upheld in court. Personally, I don't like it one bit.

Diversity Raises Questions of a Cultural Defense in Court

In the 1980s, members of the Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye, a Santeria congregation, began leaving the bodies of sacrificed chickens near trees and bushes in Hialeah, Florida, where the Church was located. Santeria priest Ernesto Pichardo thought this was a good idea. The City Council did not. The government of the city of 240,000, 11 miles northwest of Miami, prosecuted the church under a law banning animal sacrifices. The church contended that the ritual scatterings were an indispensable part of their religion, and of its Afro-Cuban cultural roots. In 1993, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the law as unconstitutional religious discrimination. Although they are now recognized as legal, Pichardo says that authorities still occasionally hassle church members. Pichardo is an orite, a priest empowered to conduct sacrifices. He is philosophiocal about the situation. "I learned one thing" he says. "When you bring something forward that is outside the Judeo-Christian tradition, the dominant culture is going to cause you problems." U.S. courts are seeing increasing numbers of immigrants from African, Asian and other non-western cultures, who are prosecuted for offenses which were not crimes in their native countries. These cases have involved many different customs, such as ritual mutilation and animal sacrifice.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Oh, you are being dramatic. I am an atheist who celebrates a non-religious Christmas, as are my family and friends.
None of us get mad over the whole "Merry Christmas" thing. NONE OF US.
And neither do 98% of atheists or people of different faiths.
If a store wants to be non-denominational and focus on celebrating the spirit of the season, and not the holiday itself, then that is their perogative.
Christians need to stop making a mountain out of an molehill.

Furthermore, the word god isn't capitalized because it is also a word that is used to describe a god, and not your "God."

And not everyone considers 666 to have any meaning... only the superstitious do, and that population is ever shrinking as well.

edit on 30-9-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Freedom of speech to a point.

Holding a sign in favor of killing is not using the freedom of speech in a peaceful manner.

There is a difference.

Sorry Mama, we can't do that. These fanatics believe in their twisted religion just as much as Christians believe in theirs. It's called FREEDOM OF RELIGION. We can't go around saying, "You're religious beliefs are wrong and ours are right, so you can't practice your religion here."

I don't like it anymore than you do, but it doesn't change the fact that either there is freedom of (all) religious expression, or there is no freedom of religious expression.

If that were the case, then atheists that find Christianity an embarrassment to mankind should be able to tell Christians that they can't publicly display gruesome signs of the cross, put up nativity scenes around christmas, and can't go around saying Jesus is god and he loves you.

We can't tell the Jews that cutting off a length of a baby's penis is evil.

No, its called freedom to express killing is NOT OK. I am not a judge though but believe he should be reformed, no doubt.

Freedom of anything has to be done in a peaceful manner and can be when you are dealing with mature adults, some of the fanatics are angry and when this happens, people revolt. The peoples leaders are blood thirsty leaders with their hands so far up the golden calf they cant see straight. Material.... and war go hand in hand. See?

In the flesh there is one thing we are all destined to experience and that is birth and death, but I call it transformation. Whether one dies this way or that, fact is, he will die in the flesh. The form, the vessel is done for.
Its not like we control our death, that we know of or remember.

Maybe we are all here at this time to stand up for what is right. A choice, if you will. I don't know.

The tribes will be gathered as far as Im concerned and we may very well see it become much more chaotic before it stabilizes and peace begins. All we can really do is pray. You don't have to be religious to pray....just believing in a higher power sets your mind into healing and all powerful mode. Its a fact.... and a survival skill.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilesmcgee
reply to post by violet

Oh, you are being dramatic. I am an atheist who celebrates a non-religious Christmas, as are my family and friends.
None of us get mad over the whole "Merry Christmas" thing. NONE OF US.
And neither do 98% of atheists or people of different faiths.
If a store wants to be non-denominational and focus on celebrating the spirit of the season, and not the holiday itself, then that is their perogative.
Christians need to stop making a mountain out of an molehill.

Furthermore, the word god isn't capitalized because it is also a word that is used to describe a god, and not your "God."

And not everyone considers 666 to have any meaning... only the superstitious do, and that population is ever shrinking as well.

edit on 30-9-2012 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

Thats great you are not offended by others beliefs or non beliefs.

666 was written...

he structure of these almost identical chapters mentioning the quantity of gold is worth noting. First, the Queen of Sheba visits Solomon and is impressed (1 Kings 10:1-13; 2 Chronicles 9:1-12). Then we are told of the 666 talents, and a description of the rest of his wealth and glory is given (1 Kings 10:14-22; 2 Chronicles 9:13-21). Then his greatness is reiterated, with emphasis on the revenues he collected (1 Kings 10:23-25; 2 Chronicles 9:22-24). Finally, we are told that Solomon collects horses and chariots (1 Kings 10:26-29; 2 Chronicles 9:25-28). In other words, he sins, by doing what a king in Israel is never supposed to do (Deuteronomy 17:16-17). At this point, 2 Chronicles 9 closes with Solomon’s death and the next chapter shows the kingdom ripped apart. In 1 King’s, however, the chapter ends with Solomon’s sins regarding horses and chariots. The next chapter shows him collecting foreign wives (also forbidden in Deuteronomy 17:17) and finally worshipping false gods. In short, both chapters show us God’s Anointed falling into outright apostasy. It is significant that the kingdom split because Rehoboam refused to lighten the load in taxes and forced labor which his father had put on the people (1 Kings 12:1ff; 2 Chronicles 10:1ff). Solomon’s latter reign was not a happy time. He had become a beast. And, in telling us of the height of his power and glory, both texts mentioned that Solomon brought in 666 talents of gold one year. Then he slid into sin. There is no reason to doubt that Revelation 13:18 is building on 1 Kings 10:14 and 2 Chronicles 9:13. Simply the fact that the number is not used anywhere else in Scripture, guarantees that any Biblically literate first-century person reading or hearing John’s epistle from Patmos would immediately turn to those passages. Where else could he go?

www.hornes.org...

Solomons story of 666 is a numbered one. Thrice as great in number was also said to be that of Hermes. Who I happen to think was Jesus incarnate or similar, possibly unfamiliar, somehow relating to one another.

Solomon got greedy and began to tax people... the big problem began and look at us today. A bad system began and more begot it. Ya know? Look at us as a people today. We are in chaos. lol 666 is greed of material wealth so bad you will hurt another, like Solomon.

Also, I believe Jesus incarnated many others such as Adam (who also represents mankind), Enoch, Joshua, Melchizedek, and others.

If you don't believe me, check it out if you ever feel the urge. The Bible will make more sense to you, just have to teach it to yourself, its the only way I have found.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join