It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus Not Allowed': Anti-Faith Sentiment Sweeps US

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
To compare John lennon to Jesus the Christ is a LOT weak. Jesus has credentials, and a life example that no one can ignore.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
To compare John lennon to Jesus the Christ is a LOT weak. Jesus has credentials, and a life example that no one can ignore.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

Unlike Jesus, John Lennon existed and was alive and well.

Some of you have taken his quote so far out of context, that is has become the basis for your "they hate Christianity!" bellyaching.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That's why there are religious schools.

Send your kid there if it bothers you so much.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Show me where in the Constitution it says that religions can openly preach in public schools, paid for by tax dollars.

I have a right to not be subjected to religious malarkey of all stripes.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Don't the religious folks give money to their churches?

And don't those churches use that money for political gain?

You give money to an institution like the Catholic Church and they use it to protect pedophile priests.

See where I'm going here?

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

Sounds like the same thing citizens do with governments, which was my point. Don't citizens give money to their governments? Don't governments use that money for their own gain? Doesn't that sometimes lead to war and corruption? See where I'm going with this? And for the record, I don't give money to the Church, I have my own Bible, I have no need for them.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Keep "God" out of government and schools.

Faith is a private thing, not to be forced upon others.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

I think we're on different pages, I've never advocated religion to be in schools or government. I'm a Christian, and believe your faith should be a private thing.

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I'm saying, in general.

Not accusing you of anything.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by MrXYZ

And congress made no law requiring religion, the school didn't require religion, and you provided nothing from the Bill of Rights that guarantees "freedom from religion", which was your assertion. You only have the establishment clause and the free exercise clause. That's it. And the school violated the girls free exercise of her religion, which she has a constitutional right to as a citizen.

The mere FACT that the government can't promote religion in general means that freedom FROM religion is guaranteed at publicly funded places...like schools. If government money's involved, religion has no place. And that doesn't just include Christianity, it means ALL religions.

I take it you never took a law class?

There is no freedom from religion. You can excersice your rights by walking away. Your rights aren't violated unless someone holds you against your will and shoves it down your throat on pain of death. As long as you remain unfettered, you get to grin and bear it. However, i for one would not proselytize to you, you've made your choice and i have no problems letting you reap it. Ofcourse i'm not the typical christian who wants to drill you into submission. I'll give you the message and if you don't want it, thats where i stop caring. I got no problem letting someone sleep in the bed they made. I won't be losing any sleep over it thats for sure..
edit on 2-10-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

The thing is, what people see as a "bag of answers" in the internet, is really the same thing as what you're saying the Bible is/was. The bible is a canon, defined as a "collection of books"... what is the internet, but just another collection of information?? There is no difference. They are the same in that respect. So to look at one to disprove the other makes zero sense, people choose to believe one over the other - and that is the difference. You said "the age of information is killing religion". I am actually all for the destruction of religion. The structured/instituted religion... the business of it... The right to personal FAITH and BELIEF need to be protected at all costs however. It's ironic. We would actually be far LESS free if we were stripped of the right to personal faith and belief. There'd be nothing to fall back on. Yet I see people here practically begging for that every day.

I am all for freedom of religion and spirituality. That doesn't mean that the huge source of information that is the internet (where you can find a wealth of actual facts and artifacts from history) is equal to the bible. I don't see how you can even make the comparison.

I'm saying that the internet is killing organized religion. I'm all for people researching what actually happen in history and creating their own beliefs and not relying on a hive-mind.
edit on 2-10-2012 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The kids expressing religiosity in their own way seems fine to me. provided that...
a) The school doesn't endorse things one way or the other.
b) Someone is there to make sure that no one on the team or in the school is pressured into endorsing the sentiment and that anyone who disagrees with that sentiment is free to say so without fear of repercussions.

What if there were a non-christian on the team? Will they feel in danger of being socially ostracized? Might they be in danger of being bullied or physically harmed if they were to speak up against the group norm?
edit on 3-10-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

it's beatles not beetles... obv not a beatles fan

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag

Forcing it on others consists of binding them and threatening them with death. Keeping God out of schools violates the rights of the children who do believe in him. So what we have is it's ok to violate someone's rights who believes in God but its not ok to violate the rights of someone who does not believe? Thats hypocrisy. Removing christian prayer groups and clubs from schools is violating their rights as well and it's happening. When i was in highschool we had christian prayer groups, but i didn't care what they did and they largely kept to themselves except when they would meet and pray in the lunchroom every morning before class, but i didn't care and it didn't bother me. The government shouldn't be allowed to dictate what a person can believe in and where they can learn it from, inside or outside the home. There should be classes for those who want to learn about God, and classes for those people who do not and in all fairness that is how it should be, if you want to play the equal rights card that is how it should be.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Touche, from that angle you're correct, a fetus is not a parasite. I don't know where I draw the line; I suppose the real debate comes down to at what point something is considered alive. Is a person in a vegetative state "alive?" What about a person without functioning memory; is life, as we know it, possible without the ability to learn or remember anything?

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

In response to your 'Jesus Not Allowed': Anti Faith Sentiment Sweeps US title, please note that it may be more accurate to say 'Anti Christianity' instead of' 'Anti Faith'.

The word faith from the Oxford dictionary: 'trust, strong belief, unquestioning confidence'.

All horses are animals but all animals are not horses. Meaning, that the word faith and also Faith does not automatically imply Christianity. Christians seem to think they have coined, and patented the word Faith as belonging only to the Christian religion. This is condescending and self-righteous.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join