It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Jesus Not Allowed': Anti-Faith Sentiment Sweeps US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
20 yrs ago, things were just the opposite. The beetles lost most of the country in fans because of 1 derogatory remark they made about Jesus. It is just amazing how this country is going with the wisdom of DC guiding us whether we like it or not to a prosperity we already had. Bring on the persecution!

***Angela Hildenbrand faced the very real possibility of going to jail for her faith. The trouble began when a federal judge ruled that no one at her Texas high school could pray or even use words like "prayer" or "amen" during the 2011 graduation ceremonies.

As class valedictorian, Hildenbrand felt God deserved the praise, even if it meant jail for her.***
CBN News
edit on 29-9-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

They didn't make a mean remark about Jesus... Christians are just over hyper offendable... John Lennon made a joke about being more popular than Jesus, that was it.

I find Jesus and John Lennon were and are both awesome and both of them have warmed my heart like most Christians could never, because they are too busy judging everything instead of loving everything.

If they had followed Jesus' teaching of tolerance then they wouldn't have this kind of thing directed at them. You reap what you sow, and that's right in the bible..

That's a terrible rule though. This reality all seems fake these days. Freedom of speech got stabbed in the back.

Isn't graduation after school is over? lol.. She's not free to say what ever she wants? I can see why you might not want teachers talking about all this stuff all the time, but the kids?? seems way over the top.
edit on 9/29/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

There has been a recent controversy at a town near my town about those signs the football players run through at the start of the high school football game. An anti-religion organization from up north filed a restraining order against the cheerleaders putting bible verses on the signs. The order has been temporarily lifted and the students are fighting it in court. The Texas Attorney General has made statements supporting the cheerleaders rights to freedom of religious expression. It's all over the news here and has been from the get go.It has even gone national.

Link

Link

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

If you look on Facebook, cookies are more popular than "God"...probably because cookies provide more comfort for us than he appears to be capable of at this time.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

If you look on Facebook, cookies are more popular than "God"...probably because cookies provide more comfort for us than he appears to be capable of at this time.

I disagree. I may not be a Christian, and never will be, but I Love me some God man. Cookies? I havn't really eaten sugar since I was in the Army 6 years ago. Or I could use the pink kitties signature which seems fitting here:

[color=magenta] "The Dark Side may have cookies...But I have Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake- Eat your heart out Dark Side!" ~by Littled16 Hahahah

But to each his own. Live and let live. And that includes cheerleaders writing as they wish. We all have to put up with each other. EVERYONE.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I don’t think it’s exactly “sweeping the US” it has just become more acceptable to be a faith basher so the bashers are more vocal these days.

It's the decline of civilization…..how else can it be explained? It’s shameful if you ask me!

Has anyone noticed that the rise of the dependent class (people on welfare - takers) coincides with the rise of bashing faith? Does that have any meaning? I don't know???

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

You have my favorite avatar ever..

How can someone out of state come in and tell other people what to do? Do they have any kind of legal standing? That sounds terrible. IT sounds like a waste of money. This is just more divide, and we need to stick together. We do not need to waste any tax payer money in court..

Let the kids speak.. Or do we want our future to be a bunch of mutes?

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It's a public institution where peoples' children are taught. Religion (unless it's an actual class) should not be a part of any speech or policy by the faculty. I would not want my daughter to be preached to by her school teacher who gets paid with my taxes. That's what private school is for.

However, this was a student, not a teacher. I would defend her right to express her religious beliefs because that is her right. She is not paid. She is not teaching. She can say whatever she wants. While I would always make the decision to defend people and their right to worship who they like, I can't help but imagine the Christian parents' reaction if my daughter ended her valedictorian speech with "Lord and Lady, Horned God and Triple Goddess, thank you for your witness. Blessed be!"

I don't think Christians would be as vigilant with their righteous defense of religion.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Cuervo because: gramer grammer grammar!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

While I am not of any religious denomination and neither follow any organized religion I have to say that America is suffering from a infiltration of groups that are actually a vocal minority but a loud one and succeeding on it.

If people, regardless of their religious views do no stand up and fight for what is their rights, religious oppression will become the norm. America has been a Christian majority nation since its foundation.

Now that is been eroding due to agendas of those that careless about what others believe but rather wants to push their own and using the freedom of choices and religion to push those agendas.

Beware people because very soon the vocal minority will be winning and they are not the "atheist that people think are the ones doing all this crap".

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
We shouldn't be surprised, this has been foretold, and is meant to happen, it's part of the plan.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

From what I understand this group monitors the news and the internet just chomping at the bit to fight public displays of religion anywhere they can find it. A few years ago they filed an injunction against another Texas town forcing them to take down a nativity scene at Christmas time because it was on city property. I don't remember which town, but it was a small one. Nobody actually from these towns complain, these are just outsiders trying to bully people with court orders and lawsuits because their group doesn't agree with it. My town would tell them where to put their outside opinions!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
what happened to freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

freedom of religion is not to protect the state from religion but protect you from the state.

and its doing exactly that, they have twisted the 1st amendment yet again.

rome persecuted Christians and look what happened to them.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

It's a public institution where peoples' children are taught. Religion (unless it's an actual class) should not be a part of any speech or policy by the faculty. I would not want my daughter to be preached to by her school teacher who gets paid with my taxes. That's what private school is for.

However, this was a student, not a teacher. I would defend her right to express her religious beliefs because that is her right. She is not paid. She is not teaching. She can say whatever she wants. While I would always make the decision to defend people and their right to worship who they like, I can't help but imagine the Christian parents' reaction if my daughter ended her valedictorian speech with "Lord and Lady, Horned God and Triple Goddess, thank you for your witness. Blessed be!"

I don't think Christians would be as vigilant with their righteous defense of religion.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Cuervo because: gramer grammer grammar!

I would defend her, and many others I know would also! Freedom of religious expression in a right given to ALL of us- not just some! Her right to give thanks to god and goddess is just as important as my right to give thanks to Jesus!

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I think Right wing Christians are turning off normal people. The Right has turned Jesus into some cartoon character and they've turned themselves into science-denying cultural lynch mobs, viciously targeting and trying to limit the rights of people unlike themselves. No one with a brain or a heart wants to be associated with the Christian Right.

If you are some thoughtful and aware kid growing up, you see two groups: one has near blood lust and are perpetually angry and hateful, the other is made up of people accepting of others and willing to live and let live. Which one would you want to align yourself with?

The Right lives in an alternate universe bubble where facts don't matter and they imagine most other (especially country and white) people think as they do. They can't fathom how far removed they are from normal human attitudes. This also explains their inability to accept the polling data. Gee, Dems are being over sampled!! Dems and Republicans should be sampled equally! They actually think that makes sense because they long ago gave up their ability to think critically (in fact, critical thinking is considered "dangerous" to children, so says the Texas Board of Education). They simply no longer have the cognitive ability to realize that polls sample one large poll of people and the party affiliations fall where they may. A poll does not look for 500 Dems and then find 500 Repub. Duh, that'd result in a 50/50 poll every time.

The Right just can't accept that they represent a dwindling minority because all the sane people have left or are leaving, moving either to Dems or most likely to a non-party affiliation. No one wants to be in a club where the meanest, conspiracy prone, pathologically lying and most crazy now hold the power.

edit on 29-9-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Its strange that we dont get this kind of thing much in the uk. But I suppose we dont have the westboro baptist church or the kkk in the uk so maybe people are a bit more accepting to other peoples beliefs( as long as that doesnt include blowing yourself up on a train or bus).

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
well everyones freedom is being attacked on all fronts. I"m hard pressed to come up with one area of life that we have more freedom of choice or that we're not being attacked on.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I disagree. I may not be a Christian, and never will be, but I Love me some God man. Cookies? I havn't really eaten sugar since I was in the Army 6 years ago. Or I could use the pink kitties signature which seems fitting here:

I didn't say you, I said Facebook. Get with the program.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I never said you said me..

You missed the humor get with the program...

You should laugh more.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I take ignorance seriously, because it's always ignorance that causes trouble, in one way or another.
edit on 29-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

What ignorance is this that you speak of?
The ignorance of judgement?
The ignorance of bringing up cookies in a topic about religious freedom?
what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join