It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here know how to spell anymore?? Spell check needed!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I guess you didn't see my post.
There is always at least one person who - when the spelling issue comes up on posts a load of gibberish. Sigh.... Yes we get you can make it out but frankly if someone wrote routinely like this I couldn't be *rsed to read beyond the first line.
edit on 27-9-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Seems to me that an intelligent person should be able to decipher what a person is trying to say no matter how bad the spelling is. A lot of times people spell things like they sound, and although the spelling is wrong it is important to know the intended word. Spell checking makes getting the right word in there impossible because people don't double check their perception and reread the article with an open mind after posting. Editing is necessary. Do I care if someone spells something wrong? Not at all. It is no threat to my perception of content, maybe it is to others. In that case maybe it is good for people to use spell-check. Some of the most intelligent people in the world can't spell regular English worth a damn. How can spelling be used to judge reputation. Research Scientists use almost all scientific words in their writings so often can't spell the common language well.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Valid point but if your say interfacing from a hardware/software device more advanced
then today's inter web communications devices it may be hard to first fully understand the language and second spell check may not be on their devices
But as for members who can use the option I understand your point OP and have been guilty of misspelling also sometimes.

I know waaay outta box but you never know

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

I may not be able to type well but my reading comprehension is good. This should be in the RANT forum.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Sez the guy with awful punctuation and sentence structure.

Sometimes I murder a sentence, IDK what happens, what about folks that aren't English first language?
Can't be mad at them.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

lolol !
I never said I was perfect !

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

does anyone here know how to spell anymore ??

a n y m o r e

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

The occasional cock up is alright, we all make stupid mistakes and errors but with some people bad spelling is so consistent as to be predictable. How am I to take seriously some-one who calls me and all Muslims as "Muislam"
and cannot bothered to see how the name Ahmadinejad is spelled or "Spelt" in proper English?
edit on 27-9-2012 by abdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
Says the person with horrible grammar in their thread title.

Does anyone use correct punctuation in sentences anymore?

does = Does

First word in your sentence should be captial.

Two ?? is bad grammar.

spell = Spell

No space before the !

Carry on.
edit on 27-9-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

And I fixed it...I know I am not perfect!...lol

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by km22453

does anyone here know how to spell anymore ??

a n y m o r e

Very good!...I deserved that!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You owe all of us stars for correcting your grammar...LOL

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

You owe all of us stars for correcting your grammar...LOL

Free beers at the bar of your choice! Just tell them I sent you.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Sorry, no stars in this forum

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I used to write relatively well... but it seems that with time, I have developed a problem with reversing the sequence of letters- "of" becomes "fo" words that end with "...ing" I type out "....ign".

Sometimes at the end of writing a post fast and furious, I see most of it is all reversed and mixed up like that, and you know, some times I go back and edit it three times to catch them all,

and sometimes I just figure you guys are grown ups and will see what I meant and still be able to digest your lunch properly.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

I have to agree with you. I type extremely fast, and if I do type a lot, the wall of text will scroll up and many things that I missed typed will not be seen quickly, or missed.

Most of my typing errors are:

'yo udo', 'eth' (instead of 'the'), 'thespacebarnotworkingright', etc.

Obviously people should take time and pride in their posts. But then many come here just to talk, and it is a form of relaxation to them.

This reminds me of how people in the United States have a tendency to think that people in the south eastern part are ignorant or stupid, simply because of the way they talk, which is very laid back, contraction, and slang way of talking.
However, leave no doubt, many here are as sharp as a razor.

My step mother is that way and I kid her all the time about it. She says "winder" for "windows", "tater" for "potato", "maters" for "tomato".

I think the one word that she mangled that had me on the floor laughing so hard that I could not believe was when she was trying to repair a power supply, she found that the thermistor in it had gone bad and needed to replace it. She walked up to me and said she needed a "trimester"......

I thought I was going to die laughing.....

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by abdel
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

The occasional cock up is alright, we all make stupid mistakes and errors but with some people bad spelling is so consistent as to be predictable. How am I to take seriously some-one who calls me and all Muslims as "Muislam"
and cannot bothered to see how the name Ahmadinejad is spelled or "Spelt" in proper English?
edit on 27-9-2012 by abdel because: (no reason given)

occasional "cock up"?....i don't get one of those from this site, although, i do find some avatars rather uhmm....visually stimulating.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I wish another person's spelling was all I had to worry about. Why be so concerned about someone's spelling mistakes as long as you understand what is written? If someone spells "outside" as "owtside", or uses only one "n" where there should be two and this bothers you, I'll be only too happy to trade life's problems with you.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a-n-y-m-o-r-e

anymore

What do I win?

Aw, beat me too it

Great thinking...great thinking...

edit on 27-9-2012 by QContinuum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

That's not bad grammar or syntax, that's poor typing. I have the same problem.

I have no problem with peoples spelling. The only thing that barks my onion is when you have a post that is about 45 lines AND IT'S ONE DAMN PARAGRAPH!!!!! Man, my eyes glaze over.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
IMO those that care so deeply about about spelling, care to deeply about the system that taught them that spelling.

People that post about others being brain washed and stuck inside the box, then get upset about the way others spell, are hypocrites.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Another example. Which is the proper spelling?

Humor or Humour?

Depends on where you live. I don't know who said it but its true. "Britain and America. 2 countries separated by a common language."

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join