It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here know how to spell anymore?? Spell check needed!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's a bit annoying - - - but it only really bothers me when the thread title is misspelled.

Posters should make an effort in getting their thread titles correct. IMO.

The few times I've commented to a poster about spelling - - English was not their first language. So I don't question it anymore.

edit on 27-9-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

Does anyone here know how to spell anymore

A-n-y-m-o-r-e.

Does anyone here know how to use punctuation.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
You know what drives me crazy is when someone spells "ridiculous" as "rediculous". It makes me want to tear my hair out.

Man I here you that really gets two me to.

Of course some of them are so bad even spell-check won't have a suggestion. I try not to be too much of a grammar Nazi but I am a grammar Nazi sympathizer though. Sometimes you can't help it though, I saw a fat chick at the bar the other day, her T-shirt said - Watch out, I'm a maneater! I went up to her and said "Excuse me, about your T-shirt slogan." She stopped me and angrily said "Oh let me guess, you want to know how many men I've eaten?! Well I can't help my size you know!" I said "Actually no, I wasn't going to say that at all." She looked happier and smiled as she said "Oh yes, what did you want to say then?." "That's not how you spell Manatee."

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

That's an OLD joke man.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It is still a good won. The spell czech on my computer has never failed me, it's sew simple I don't no why everyone doesn't use it.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My biggest issue with spelling is that I'm not as likely to trust someones information when there are mistakes.

I don't want a spell check because I want to judge you.

What would help me is...

1) See the age of the member.
If you are under 18 y/o and misspelling, I have a better idea where your comming from.

2) See your country of origin.
If english was not your first language I can overlook mistakes.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chi-and-Me

Spell check catches me when I have accidentally hit the wrong key usually. Spell check will not help you if you don't know the difference between their, there and they're but can spell them correctly, so fortunately you will still have those mistakes to judge.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That bugs the hell out of me. Now, when writing posts, or updating Facebook statuses, I have to pause and think....."urrgh, is it defense or defence, centre or center, DAMN YOU AMERICANESE!!".

I was reading an article today though on how certain "Britishisms" have polluted the American English language also.

Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have retired from my position, acquiescing to reality -- enough people don't care about proper spelling, punctuation or grammar that it makes correcting such rather pointless.

Anyone who would like my old badge, here's your new avatar!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Fear not. You can start a sentence with And or But. It was just frowned upon years ago but it is grammatically correct.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You know what bothers me the most, that people in this boards forget that many members do not have English majors that many are actually from other nations and that English is not their first language to begin with.

Spell check only works when is single spell and not for grammatical errors in sentences.

Even can change words that are not mean to be changed.

AT least many people here can speak more than one language even when spelling comes poorly for them.

I am Latina, Spanish is my first language, so If anybody doesn't like my' Spanglish' that is your problem no mine

I am just joking.

edit on 27-9-2012 by marg6043 because: Checkspell, in case anybody gets offended

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
What is the big deal , really?
I think it's petty , I think it's YOUR issue not people who's strength doesn't happen to be spelling and grammar.
This whole site is getting ridiculous as far as spelling police , naysayers , trolls , and the like.
Personally I think when it really comes down to it it's your insecurities making you uncomfortable when you see someone make an error.
When I see these negative posts I tend to exit the thread and look elsewhere....

People really need to relax and let it all go.

NOW , if you can't UNDERSTAND a post due to the fact that there are a huge amount of spelling errors , that's a different story and I have yet to see that here or elsewhere for that matter.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I can overlook some spelling and grammatical errors. As has been pointed out, not everyone here is a native English speaker. On the other hand, the way one expresses one's self does say a certain amount about one's level of education and personality, even when expressing one's self in a second language. However tortured the syntax, logical thought will come through. Unfortunately, poor spelling and grammar tend to make poorly thought through posts look even worse. How often do we see statements like: "im a reserch fisicist at a importunt yunioversity?" If what you have to say is important, make every effort to present it well. [/soapbox]

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There's more than one type of English, there's British, Cdn, US and we all spell things differently. Combine that with these darn iPhones autocorrecting things, and you really have to proof read

Auto correct can change everything you meant to say.....
And when your screen is only 2 inches wide

I've had some strange conversations

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by Alpha Grey

I welcome the poor spelling and grammar, i'll always accept the challenge. Lol

The purpose for using words is to communicate and if you can interpret what the misspelled words mean then you've been communicated to. :p

my english is probably at a 9th grade level (6th grade for those outside of the US lol), honestly I don't know, maybe it's worse?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

ATS has a spell check built in to the reply feature.
Sadly many choose to overlook the little red lines littered through their reply and click submit in hopes of getting that post out before the next guy.
Personally I would like to see spell check abolished from the reply feature.
It may help separate the men from the boys if you know what I mean.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude

ATS has a spell check built in to the reply feature.
Sadly many choose to overlook the little red lines littered through their reply and click submit in hopes of getting that post out before the next guy.
Personally I would like to see spell check abolished from the reply feature.
It may help separate the men from the boys if you know what I mean.

The "little red lines" are a function of your computer, not ATS. As such, not everyone has "auto spell check" turned on, so it's tough to insist that they pay attention to it.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

The "little red lines" are a function of your computer, not ATS. As such, not everyone has "auto spell check" turned on, so it's tough to insist that they pay attention to it.

How foolish of me to overlook that possibility.
So to clarify ATS has no spell check in the reply feature of any sort?
ETA - Scratch that, a little thought on my part has provided me with the answer.
Thanks for reminding me.
edit on 27-9-2012 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Ive found that as I get older, my spelling and grammar have gotten worse. Kinda sucks to.

The "little red lines" are a function of your computer, not ATS

edit on 27-9-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

True. And I'm certainly not ever going to win a spelling bee.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join