It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here know how to spell anymore?? Spell check needed!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I have noticed that quite a few posters seem to have spelling issues. I know at times certain words can get messed up but there seems to be a real lack of effort to spell correctly anymore. I thought most pc's had spell check & maybe ATS can add a spell check feature so posters do not look so ignorant with their horrible spelling & punctuation. Hell Firefox has a spell check built into it!

I know I am barking up the wrong tree but nothing pisses me off more than reading a post that looks like it was written by a 3yr old.

AG

edit on 27-9-2012 by Alpha Grey because: I fixed my poor grammer & spelling...lol !

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You know what drives me crazy is when someone spells "ridiculous" as "rediculous". It makes me want to tear my hair out.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There are many posts on here that seem to confuse simple things such as their/there, your/you're, whole/hole and countless other errors.

I don't point them out as I can't be bothered with the whole Grammar Nazi tag which would follow or being told 'But I'm dyslexic' but I do tend to automatically assume people that can't spell correctly aren't, on the whole, worth listening to.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
You know what drives me crazy is when someone spells "ridiculous" as "rediculous". It makes me want to tear my hair out.

The one that makes me want to punch my screen is people spelling 'rogue' as 'rouge'.

link   
Well I'm not a grammar nazi but it makes it extremely difficult to have a decent argument with some-one who can't even spell the correct words let alone understand the definition of them.

link   

Originally posted by Alpha Grey
posters do not look so ignorant with their horrible spelling & punctuation......hell Firefox has a spell check built into it !

I know I am barking up the wrong tree but nothing pisses me off more than reading a post that looks like it was written by a 3yr old.

AG

Sez the guy with awful punctuation and sentence structure.

Sometimes I murder a sentence, IDK what happens, what about folks that aren't English first language?
Can't be mad at them.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

link   
:
edit on 27-9-2012 by Lysergic because: double post number 5

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
With respect AG, there are a lot of dyslexic people out there, and there are a lot of computer illiterate people out there who might not know what a spell checker is, let alone how to use one.

If you can understand what the word is, or what they are trying to get across, the point is more important than the spelling and/or grammar.

The one thing that bugs me though is l33t(?) or text speak, that is what is going to kill the English language.....that or Americans

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This site has members from around the world and for many English is not their native language. There are also people that have medical issues as well that may hinder their typing skills or sight.

I am sure that they do not want to add to everything that they write that its an issue. A members message should be enough.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It's not how the message is delivered rather the content of that message that should really matter. Plus English may not be the posters native language, just remember that this is an international site.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Personally if the information provided is good, entertaining, or thought provoking I don't care how well it is structured or spelled. For many here, English is not their primary language. And as pointed out already, spell check does have limitations - if one uses "their" instead of "they're" it is not going to flag anyway.

What bothers me more is a post in perfect English that has no substance or body to it at all. Give me a half literate passionate post over a PHD level "meh" post any day.

~Heff

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

sorry

know eye dont no

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
It's not how the message is delivered rather the content of that message that should really matter. Plus English may not be the posters native language, just remember that this is an international site.

Actually, some of the worst offenders I've noticed have been English speaking Americans. Also I think dyslexia is just a cover for insufficient teaching standards.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well I guess I AM a spelling nazi. In fact I've had posts removed as being 'off topic' for pointing out the errors in my response. But it does drive me crazy and imo it affects the credibility of the post/poster.
I once took a red line through an article written by the boss for the company magazine and as punishment, they made me proof reader!

Maybe it's because I am from an older generation and wasn't brought up on text speak. I find the most common errors are their/there, hole/whole, bear/bare - and spelling sense as sence. Then we have the UK peeps who spell things like driving licence as license - the American way.
Edit: On forums topics to do with spelling, some bright spark inevitably presents a paragraph of gibberish as evidence you can still get the meaning - therefore spelling is irrelevant. Wrong...

edit on 27-9-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Says the person with horrible grammar in their thread title.

Does anyone use correct punctuation in sentences anymore?

does = Does

First word in your sentence should be captial.

Two ?? is bad grammar.

spell = Spell

No space before the !

Carry on.
edit on 27-9-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I cannot stannd poore speling either in posts on hear. I dont see why sum peeple just doo not take advantege of the spel check feeture that is prouvided by ATS in the first place. It can make eny post just look stoopid.

Seriously, some people use phones to access ATS and make mistakes either because they are pressed for time or because the buttons on most phones are not all that big. I'll go with the former being more likely.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I thought ATS Post Reply has spell check? O.o

Oh and this..

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The one 'rule' I like breaking is starting a sentence with 'And'. Because sometimes I think it makes sense and sometimes I just like to see the horror on people's faces!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

First word in your sentence should be captial.

Oh, the sweet, sweet irony.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
The one 'rule' I like breaking is starting a sentence with 'And'. Because sometimes I think it makes sense and sometimes I just like to see the horror on people's faces!

I like starting a sentence with the word "actually" it makes me sound more intelligent than I actually am.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join