It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Earth theory, With Interviews from believers

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Jeezes christ. You guys havnt been to Alberta before have you? lol. Its so empty you can actually see the curviture of the earth just by looking down the highway...

And you deffenitly havnt been on a international plane to japan, and than back, going the opposite way... lolz.
[snip]
edit on 11-9-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
lol alright.
I'm pretty open minded about most things, but I'll keep my belief that the world is round. Thanks for the interesting POV though.

edit on 11-9-2012 by SleepyAngel23 because: wtf?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by rwfresh

You think it's funny, or you think it's true?

"Zeteticism is is in direct contradiction to the Scientific Method, where one begins with a hypothesis and builds his work off of that. Purveyors of the Scientific Method seek to ‘stand on the shoulders of giants’, building one hypothesis upon the next in mumbling pretension until we have house of cards model of the universe consisting nothing but undiscovered phenomena like graviton particles and dark matter to glue the entire horrid mess together. "

There is nothing incorrect about the statement. All scientific theories are built on assumptions. Do you believe this to not be the case? All math proofs, all logic statements are subject to assumptions. It's not a negative thing to be denied.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

So you believe the earth is flat?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by rwfresh

Even if we disagree with their beliefs we should applaud the capacity and interest in challenging the mainstream. Science is not perfect it should provide some comfort to us that there is some part of humanity that can passionately pursue the art of disbelief and spend some effort in confronting even the most basic ideas about our reality.

Having said that, the interview was fine but for someone that read what was posted and not much else as I do not share the same belief. I am nevertheless interested on how they support it. In that aspect the interview questions were weak, even if some interesting "zetetist" (??) background was openly given.

Circumnavigation (or the example with planes would be a challenge). I think they could go for a very complex resolution like the infinite plane looping, like a mouse that goes out of the corner of a screen just to reaper in the opposite side. In any way i do not think that they themselves take the mater more seriously than to make a point about the capacity to object to the status quo and preserve the society history. In the interviews there are even different views...

In any case "Scientific Method, where one begins with a hypothesis and builds his work off of that..." is an incorrect or incomplete statement, the method focuses on proving theories false and not in blindingly building a huge castle of cards. The problem with science today is that very few scientists do real science, mostly because of costs and complexity as science advances the obvious and simple is quickly overtaken what remains takes much more resources to uncover.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

I believe that most on this site claiming to be devout Scientific Methodists are in fact Zetitics.. especially when confronted with the fundamental assumptions of many scientific ideas. The assumptions are not a bad thing. They help communicate something. They help to making conclusions. But the reality is, for scientists doing the actual science there are very few conclusions that are actually conclusive without assumption. it's not even debated.

If we only want to believe in conclusive evidence we can observe and experience ourselves subjectively.. then we are likely Zetitics and not Scientists.

The term 'Zetetic' is formally defined as "one who proceeds by inquiry; a seeker." In modern usage, the term 'inquiry' is understood as 'critical inquiry,' and the zetetic is therefore best considered a 'skeptical seeker.'

Zeteticism, then, is the principle and practice of being a zetetic, a skeptical seeker. In plainer terms, it is an open-minded yet realistic approach to matters of truth, philosophy, and religion. It is based in critical thinking.

In that Zeteticism is a skeptical worldview, it is generally humanistic in its approach. This is to say that since traditional mythologies and ideas are examined critically, the zetetic worldview tends toward secular humanism.

Zeteticism is not dogmatic, nor does it eschew concepts such as spirituality and numinous experience. It is generally open-minded toward most ideas, but it encourages discernment based on logic, reason, and critical thought.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnbreaks
The earth is NOT flat, you can simply send this baby up into the atmosphere and see for yourself.

www.youtube.com...

No, it's not flat....it's curved the other way around

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The earth is flat if you live in the Netherlands.

edit on 11-9-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I have lived in both Hemispheres. Water flows down the toilet the same in both. That is something I have empirically observed.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeWayz

In my first college class this question was presented to us by a scientist and he was serious. I laughed. But, now that I'm older I realize that he was right. How do we know for our own selves for sure? Because we are being told that it is and that the pics from space make it appear round.

I haven't read all of the posts so I may have missed this proposition: that what we see is only a fraction of reality due to 11 known dimensions. We are in the third one. Yes, we can fly around the world and see that it is round, to our own eyes. But are our eyes all there is to know about the facts. Many physicists who have done work involving dimensions will tell you no.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigFrigginAl
See...now this is one of the big reasons I joined ATS...not for all the political threads of late, but just an interesting read, on a, well, interesting belief. Much like the hollow earth theory...I'm not a subscriber to either, and I often wonder how people can steadfastly believe these, however, no different than believing in bigfoot, UFO's or anything else...thanks for the interesting thread.

I found it interesting as well. And seeing how I am stationed on Mars, I know for sure the Earth is Spherical. Interesting non the less.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kman420

kman, easy on the words. This is mind miniing. We are trying on new ideas, not buying them hook line and sinker. Got a joke: What do Albertan's say about Alberta? It is so flat you can see the back of your head.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Destiny10

Yes, we can fly around the world and see that it is round, to our own eyes. But are our eyes all there is to know about the facts. Many physicists who have done work involving dimensions will tell you no.

Okay, if we're taking that viewpoint into consideration, then let's not apply it sparingly. How about we go the whole nine yards and say that NOTHING in this world is reliable via our own senses? Everything - literally, everything - may as well be a lie concocted by our own minds, for reasons that our minds are also hiding from us.

So where does that leave us? How's that for circular reasoning?

edit on 11-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There might have been some belief held by the originators of the early FES, but the modern day one is entirely a parody of its former self; they don't believe the earth is flat. The Schadenfreudeistic side of me is fairly well entertained watching people walk into their elephant trap.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Absolutely fashinating stuff.

Originally posted by James1982
The moon is round, the sun is round, we can see both, we know they are round. It's perfectly logical that the Earth is round too.

Actually you never see the other side of the moon, and both the sun and the moon looks like 2D circles from Earth.

Just saying...

edit on 11-9-2012 by PrimitiveWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hollywood brainwashes but the Moon Landing would not be one of their brainwash ideas. I was afraid you were going to pin this flat earth idea on Christianity or AGW skeptics.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I really love the part in the interviews where the Earth being round is an Illuminati conspiracy. Like there is a ton of power in making people thing the Earth is round! Also how they simply explain away all of the visual evidence from space with an all encompassing statement that space flight is impossible, so that's all just a lie.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
The earth is flat if you live in the Netherlands.

AND

Montana!
Big sky though....

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hehehe gotta love crank websites...the earth is flat

Just today there is a thread about a clever young man and a cheap camera he bought on e-bay. His pictures clearly show the curvature of the earth, and also that the earth is not an infinite plane. I guess the kid is in on the deception too?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join