It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Earth theory, With Interviews from believers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I always have a good chuckle when people get duped by the flat-earthers.

For those of you taking this seriously......The flat-earthers are a bunch of role-players taking the pi$$ out of extreme conspiracy buffs.

This is all a big fabricated joke that was designed to bring the weirdo's out of the woodwork and get them posting pseudo theories that can't be dis-proven(usually they can't be proven either, but that is beside the point).

Everyone that falls for it is another victory for them.

edit on 10/9/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

Any links? Or are we to just take your word for it? Next.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by seabhac-rua

We're dealing with the scientific method here. Nobody told me to just believe the earth was round, it's something I've learned from many many different sources, it's something that is basic science, history and physics. I can go outside my house at night and watch satellites in orbit for one thing. I can observe the moon and other solar bodies, their movements etc. I can read FFS!

and FFS all you're saying is you read it somewhere so it must be true.

There are many reasonable explanations for the motion of the moon and planets, that involves a flat earth.

And I take it you've never studied philosophy or Descartes....

Where's the edge of the world?

Actually forget it, I don't care, I don't know why I'm even bothering.....

Bye.
edit on 10-9-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

Typical example of what happens when a narrow minded person has their beliefs challenged. I could recommend a break from ATS if it gets to you this much.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
well of course the world is flat, and no one has ever fallen off of the edge because the midgard serpent gobbled them up.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
reply to post by wmd_2008

Why let Christians continue to believe in the bible?
A: Because they can believe what they wish. By all mean's have your input, but at least put your adult hat on and have a real go, instead of personal insults.

I don't believe in god and I can't prove he doesn't exist but we can prove these IDIOTS are wrong.

Is Helghan flat in killzone or is it because of your tv

edit on 11-9-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Or they could be the marketing arm for just another pyramid marketing scheme.
I'm more concerned about the folks who can't seem to find 1/2 the states on the map.
Ah, not again.....Just a rumor Right? Am I being pessimistic or 'what'? I suppose all the 'troops' are spinning in their graves.
Dittoed

I think I just figured out while I'm 'still' on this computer.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Bluemoonsine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
How can the earth be flat if it's hollow?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Even if we disagree with their beliefs we should applaud the capacity and interest in challenging the mainstream. Science is not perfect it should provide some comfort to us that there is some part of humanity that can passionately pursue the art of disbelief and spend some effort in confronting even the most basic ideas about our reality.

Having said that, the interview was fine but for someone that read what was posted and not much else as I do not share the same belief. I am nevertheless interested on how they support it. In that aspect the interview questions were weak, even if some interesting "zetetist" (??) background was openly given.

Circumnavigation (or the example with planes would be a challenge). I think they could go for a very complex resolution like the infinite plane looping, like a mouse that goes out of the corner of a screen just to reaper in the opposite side. In any way i do not think that they themselves take the mater more seriously than to make a point about the capacity to object to the status quo and preserve the society history. In the interviews there are even different views...

In any case "Scientific Method, where one begins with a hypothesis and builds his work off of that..." is an incorrect or incomplete statement, the method focuses on proving theories false and not in blindingly building a huge castle of cards. The problem with science today is that very few scientists do real science, mostly because of costs and complexity as science advances the obvious and simple is quickly overtaken what remains takes much more resources to uncover.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
would be interesting to find out what flat earthers think happens when you travell around the world and end up back where you started without turning around.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Originally posted by James1982
People are well within their right to mock these flat earth nut jobs. They are wrong, it's a fact.

This is complete, total nonsense, and these people are total idiots, along with anybody that supports them.

So anybody who holds a different opinion other than you is a total idiot and a nut job? Dude you sound like total idiot.

I'm not the poster being addressed, but...
A lot of the time, YES, yes they are. ...depending on the topic and nature of the subject. In this particular case, they are, most definitely a total idiot and a nut job.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I've only read the OP and about to read the rest of the thread. But I had to say I have officially discovered the DUMBEST PEOPLE EVER. I mean really?????

Apologies in advance if their are people in this thread that are members of this society, but you ARE really really dumb.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I too found this to be a fun and interesting read. I had heard of the society before but thought it was a joke, but the interviews and further insight definitely piqued my curiosity, especially the bits about Zeteticism. The interviews aren't logical to me though, as they are using a few straw men-- just because astronomy's construction of the universe "cops out" with theoretical concepts like dark matter and the like, doesn't prove that the earth isn't round. Is he suggesting that the flat earth model in fact fills in these holes even better? What empirical truths about a flat earth model resonated with the second interviewee more than those of a round earth?

Inevitably, all scientific models will be a house of cards, because even with notable advances within a model, to think we will ever fully grasp THE ALL is merely human foolishness. However, if its that house of cards or the flat earth house of cards, I know which one I'm picking.

Last point: to everyone comparing this to religious beliefs or anything else, at least religious types have personal anecdotes about profound experiences that compel them to believe those things, 9/11 has a LOT of unanswered questions and untrustworthy government (who admitted to lying about the following wars), etc. I don't think there are any particular reasons why someone would feel compelled to believe in a flat earth, unless they were simply trying to troll on a global scale...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This is one funny thread, S&F for entertainment purposes alone but anyone that actually thinks this conspiracy is true needs their head examined. Before anyone jumps down my throat that you should not ridicule anyone for their beliefs let me say in this case you should. Imagine that they teach this theory to their kids and they teach it to theirs and so forth, it would set back science hundreds of years if all the children were thought this in school. Just an absolute joke of a conspiracy.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Okay fine, lets go Socratic.

If the earth is a flat, infinite plane, where does the sun go at night? How do the stars orbit in an elliptical?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I always thought this was a joke belief, almost like Discordianism or something.

In the interview he states he thinks the Earth is an infinite plain? Well we've sailed and flown around it mate, I think the jig is up!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well, the Flat Earth theory is no different to the rest of the conspiracy theories on this site.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Consequence

Kinda is because there is definite proof that it is BS

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I wanted to laugh at "Earth is an infinite plane". Their theory would have to mean instead of traveling around the Earth to come back to my starting point, there would have to be infinite places [like my house] to give the illusion of getting back to your original start. I haven't read the whole thesis, but just that one thing kills it for me.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I don't believe in flat earth,

however I'd take those group of guys over the average people walking about, who have no interests at all. Kudos to them, for taking the time to research something, even if I don't agree.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Consequence
Well, the Flat Earth theory is no different to the rest of the conspiracy theories on this site.

Wrong. I find that statement to be down right disrespectful. To compare this "Flat Earth theory" with any of the popular theories discussed regularly on ATS, is completely ridiculous. You want to know the difference? How many "flat earth" threads have been posted up to this date, on this site? A year from now, i'd bet the answer is exactly the same.

I actually feel sorry for these people. Their is so much to be learned in a lifetime. So much to absorb. Such wasted potential.

Knowledge = Power

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join