It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple People Reported Shot Near Empire State Building

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
People hate each other. People desire to be in control of their own lives, but in societies around the world no one is in control of their own life. When a person goes to work only to be yelled and screamed at by their customers or their supervisors they become angered. Not able to vent this anger towards those that caused it, customer or supervisor, one must bottle it. The anger does not go away, but only builds until one day it explodes in a massive violent outburst. Not everyone deals with anger in the same manner, but there are those that will hand it back to those that gave it to them, society.

In today's world people are generally rewarded for being complete jerks. You can walk into a store and scream at the employees only to be rewarded with a discount, but this angers the employees bearing the brunt of this ridicule. The anger might not be released in that moment, but it will be released. It might result in a battered spouse, child, dog or even a massacre. We throw the killer in jail, but those that turned him into a killer? Rewarded.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
wow! i just got in the house and cnn was on and this story was screaming at me!!!!!
i came to ats first for up to date news(as always) and was not let down.
it says 10 people were shot and 2 dead. one woman,and the shooter!
it was in front of the empire state building,so i'm thinking some dude went nuts about the state of america today.
(pure speculation on my part). i will stay on ats for further updates,because this crew gets the info quicker than the msm!
i got way more info about the sihk temple shooting at ats than i did the news!
great work guys!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Banning Guns is 100% pure fantasy for the United States and I wish folks would consider reality of numbers and sheer scale when suggesting it.

270 Million weapons...estimated in the hands of 120 million citizens. This 'problem', for those who see it that way, would take generations to fully address and would likely bring civil war in the process. It's hard for some to consider, but to those 120 million people, it's a fundamental right that will be protected.

It's a moot point anyway. The 2009 Supreme Court Case, DC vs. Heller established the 2nd amendment as an INDIVIDUAL, not collective right and incorporated it as a right. That means it applies at the state level equally to the federal level. The combination of these two things means until the Supreme Court takes another case someday and decides differently, that whole concept of gun banning is legally impossible. There are no ways around it unless a system without the Supreme Court is devised while no one is looking.

link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Hey, I thought guns don't kill people???

Oh right...they kill multiple people in a short amount of time and with little effort.

in some parts of the world shooting a few people in public is not really a big deal compared to a bomb that takes out a couple hundred people and half a city block every other day.
you cant buy bombs at gunshops, so taking guns away from people wont stop violent people from being violent.
a man could kill a bunch of unarmed people with a kitchen knife or a baseball bat or a board with a nail in it

link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Hey, I thought guns don't kill people???

Oh right...they kill multiple people in a short amount of time and with little effort.

And those who don't care about the law will always be able to find a black market to get what they need.

Had gun restrictions on the law-abiding in New York not been so strict, perhaps an armed law-abiding citizen would have been able to minimize this, if not prevent it outright.

Hope you're well, OutKast - but prohibition is simply ineffective and counter-productive.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Impossible for this shooting to happen, why NYC has the strictest gun control policies in the world.
You just cannot get buns into the city!
/sarcasm
I'll bet there are some New Yorkers that wish they had a gun on em today.
Vote with your U-Haul and move out of gun hostile states, cities, Etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot
People hate each other. People desire to be in control of their own lives, but in societies around the world no one is in control of their own life. When a person goes to work only to be yelled and screamed at by their customers or their supervisors they become angered. Not able to vent this anger towards those that caused it, customer or supervisor, one must bottle it. The anger does not go away, but only builds until one day it explodes in a massive violent outburst. Not everyone deals with anger in the same manner, but there are those that will hand it back to those that gave it to them, society.

In today's world people are generally rewarded for being complete jerks. You can walk into a store and scream at the employees only to be rewarded with a discount, but this angers the employees bearing the brunt of this ridicule. The anger might not be released in that moment, but it will be released. It might result in a battered spouse, child, dog or even a massacre. We throw the killer in jail, but those that turned him into a killer? Rewarded.

I believe you are onto something about pent-up anger and people having hardly any acceptable way to release those emotions these days.

When I grew up (not too terribly long ago), we had fistfights at school, or after school in a nearby field, if we had a problem with someone. When the fight ended, no one was hurt too badly and it was over.
Now, if kids even talk about getting a fight, they can get suspended.
We are human beings. We have emotions and we need ways to properly express these emotions.

Unfortunately our modern world is doing one hell of a job of making us less human and more animalistic, and in the worst sense possible.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Originally posted by DAVID64
Chicago and New York have some of the strictest gun control in the nation.
Yep. Taking guns from the average citizen is working just fine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If guns were banned in all states, gun deaths would massively drop to rates like Europe.

ya, this is working well in Mexico

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

Originally posted by DAVID64
Chicago and New York have some of the strictest gun control in the nation.
Yep. Taking guns from the average citizen is working just fine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am tired of this bogus excuse. The reason they still have high guns deaths is because all around them guns are widely available. All they have to do is cross the city line. You guns nuts are just that, you are nuts. Logic nevers occurs to you. It is the EXACT same as lottery-free states and blue counties. People just cross the boundaries to get what they want. BUT, if there were no lotteries, for example, anywhere in the U.S., people would not play the lottery -- crossing a national boundary is just too much hassle. It would be the same for guns. If guns were banned in all states, gun deaths would massively drop to rates like Europe.

Our problem here is the 2nd Amendment. It made sense back in the earliest of days of our nation, but it has outlived its rational. And don't give me the we-need-them-to-fight-tyranny crap. You think any size group with Glocks, rifles and assault rifles will be able to counter a mechanized force with chopper support and the best intel, etc.? Get over your fantasies. In reality, if we needed to fight tyranny, what would happen is what always happens, massive numbers of service personnel would go AWOL and take their weapons with them to support the citizenry.

Bubba and his boys ain't otherwise going to hold back a well trained army.

DO away with the 2nd amendment and this would be a much better, more free and safer country. Of course you can keep your hunting rifles.

You can't un-invent the gun genius...you should be banned from using the word "logic" you don't even appear to know what it means...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I find that we are trying to construct human beings around our society rather than constructing our society around human beings. Really the latter is the only possible way since human beings have already been created we cannot uncreate and then recreate them, but we can redesign civilization. We try to tell people how they "should" act as if we know how another person "should" act. We create laws and force people to conform to those laws, but the person will not conform easily and in many cases will lash out violently. Until we stop trying to force others to conform to our ideas of what a person should be there will be no peace.

Telling a person who they should be often angers them. I can see why fights break out often in schools, children are not allowed to draw outside of the lines, but as human beings they are not rigid structures and trying to make them into something they are not will anger them. Human beings do not use the restroom at the same time every day, yet we try to force employees to eat at the same time every day and sleep at the same time every day. This is unnatural, it is not human to be so rigid.

Edit: It is in my opinion that gun control will do absolutely nothing to solve issues such as the topic of this thread. Guns really don't kill people, hatred does. Why do people hate each other so, why do they have so much anger? There is no question that our society breeds anger and hatred. As a help-desk technician I was called every name in the book and when even younger I worked fast food and can't even begin to describe the insanity of the customers. People yell and scream and judge and ridicule like nobody's business and then ask why people have enough anger to kill. Gee I dunno, maybe stop being a jerk.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Is this the same event??
Or just another "New York minute"?

newyork.cbslocal.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If this guy was a disgruntled employee that was fired then I feel for ALL the victims in this tragedy, including the gunman. Losing your job in this economy hurts everyone. This guy apparently felt no hope and took it out on innocent people.

If anyone is going to place blame then let's blame the economy. This happened in Austin only a couple weeks ago when a home owner received an eviction notice. How sad.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by smokenmirrors

Maybe you are right, if what you are saying is that the U.S. is as corrupt as Mexico, versus more civil in nature as, say, western Europe.

Plus, Mexico's gun violence is fed because of America's idiotic drugs laws. Legalize, regulate and tax recreational drugs in the U.S. and Mexico's drug cartels will collapse, and their violence along with it. Use your critical thinking skills and see how connected things are. Nothing happens in isolation. It is the butterfly effect.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
2 reported dead in shooting near Empire State Bldg
content.usatoday.com...

A shooting outside the Empire State Building has left 10 people injured and two people dead, including the gunman, in an apparent work-related dispute.

Several news outlets, including CNN, Reuters, WNBC and The New York Times, report two dead in the melee.

The Associated Press quotes a law enforcement official as saying the shooting stemmed from a workplace dispute.

Update at 10:31 a.m. ET: The New York Times quotes an unidentified city official as saying that eight people were wounded, and that the gunman and one other person were dead.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is so sad.

Just goes to show you, you cannot reason with crazy. If they are messed up in the head they will use whatever it is they can get their hands on to flip out on others.

We have over seven billion on the planet right now... That's a lot of people. How many are just plain ole crazy? Crazy as in they have no reasoning skills left. They are sick minded!

You could take knives away, take guns away and these crazy arses will find something to get their hands on to use to kill another.

Gun laws are a waste of time. If I went bonkers and wanted to get my hands on a gun, I could do it within minutes. It's just not going to work. You cannot stop someone from freaking out and going nutso!

Let's not forget the pharmaceutical companies as they allow the nutsos to go even more nutso after prescribing them meds. They are pill pushers to the drs. The docs then push them on their patients, then the kids get a hold of them and it becomes a snowball effect. Who is to blame? The big pharm is to blame, right? They make people even more messed up than they already were. Lol

I don't know.... It's a different world we live in, that's for sure.

It's a vicious cycle.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I heard this story on my way home from work and thought to myself- I sure do think a bunch of New Yorkers wish they would have been strapped right about now.

But nooo- gun laws prevent people from being able to protect themselves.

The shooter probably knew there was nothing that they could do about it.

10 people shot...sure would have been more than enough time to stop the moron before he reached his 2nd or 3rd target.

but no, they could do nothing at that point.

This is what a defensless system looks like.

edit- add
edit on 24-8-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

link   
Here we go again, third one in two months. The government are really pushing for these gun bans aren't they?

It's so obvious what is happening. Orchestrate shootings in various locations throughout the country in order to gain the majority's sympathy. This way they will be more likely to acquiesce when the final gun ban comes. Make people fear for their safety and they will give up anything to make the threat disappear.

Once your guns are taken away by 'them', you will have nothing to defend yourselves against 'them'.

link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Silly red herring. To say we can't get rid of guns because there is simply too many of them is small minded. That sort of thinking prevents solving any big problem. To give up because something seems too daunting is weak.

Not long ago carrier pigeons filled the sky in numbers so numerous they would block out the sun. Buffalo once dominated the plains. Tel Aviv was once a lifeless patch of hard scrabble. Standing on the moon was thought fantasy.

I grant though eliminating guns in the U.S. is an impossibility in the face of the archaic second amendment.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Cops obviously cant stop people from killing other people.

So why try to take their rights to protect themselves away?

Stupid gun control freaks dont know a damn thing about self protection.

Edit- typo
edit on 24-8-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
So? How many people are shot in all of NYC on any given day? Like twenty?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join