It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple People Reported Shot Near Empire State Building

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rottenrascals
reply to post by NorEaster

In New York City acquiring a gun is not an easy task. Anyone who goes about doing so probably already has it in their head to do some damage. If it wasn't a gun, it would be a knife, a car, a pipebomb, or his bear hands.

A person who wants to kill, will kill, regardless of the tools he uses.

Yeah, but in the spirit of enlightened self interest, I'm okay with some idiot carrying a knife or his bare hands trying to kill me. It might even be fun to take the guy on, but I have no chance if he's got a gun - even if I have one but he's got the drop on me. The religion of unfettered access to whatever crowd-hosing weapon with a super-extended ammo clip a person is wetdreaming about is a really messed up religion. That anyone can possibly worship that and Christianity - and at the same time - is beyond my own ability to reconcile. The dichotomy is pretty obvious to the rest of the believing world, and it seems that only the American Christian is capable of this contradictory thought process. It's like a life/death cult of some sort, and almost similar to the way that Voodoo emerged from the confluence of African pagan and Catholicism in the Caribbean as a result of the slave trade bringing the two together. Just the weirdest mindset.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
News briefing at 11am est...if you haven't heard yet.

Live Stream

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Cops obviousloy cant stop people from killing other people.

So why try to take their rights to protect themselves away?

Stupid gun control freaks dont know a damn thing about self protection.

Agree, unfortunately all police can do is provide the caulk and yellow tape around your dead body, more so where idiotic laws prevent you from defending yourself, I voted with my feet 33 years ago and got out of that very messed up state, even then the writing was on the wall. The person(s) with 2A issue do not understand the meaning of unalienable.

link   

Originally posted by pajoly
reply to post by smokenmirrors

Maybe you are right, if what you are saying is that the U.S. is as corrupt as Mexico, versus more civil in nature as, say, western Europe.

Plus, Mexico's gun violence is fed because of America's idiotic drugs laws. Legalize, regulate and tax recreational drugs in the U.S. and Mexico's drug cartels will collapse, and their violence along with it. Use your critical thinking skills and see how connected things are. Nothing happens in isolation. It is the butterfly effect.

Star for stating what much of the source of the violence stems from. What do you hear about violence in Mexico these days? Not too much, really. If news were to report violence here now most people might think of the thousands of assault weapons the ATF supplied Mexican drug cartels - in order to trace a few back to the cartels?? a likely story, right.

Some of the most violent places in Mexico during these phoney Drug Wars is no worse than in Detroit or other major US cities' comparable to their routine violence. The news is what propaganda the media pushes.

link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Silly red herring. To say we can't get rid of guns because there is simply too many of them is small minded. That sort of thinking prevents solving any big problem. To give up because something seems too daunting is weak.

Not long ago carrier pigeons filled the sky in numbers so numerous they would block out the sun. Buffalo once dominated the plains. Tel Aviv was once a lifeless patch of hard scrabble. Standing on the moon was thought fantasy.

I grant though eliminating guns in the U.S. is an impossibility in the face of the archaic second amendment.

Well I think there are too many drugs in the US. The US really ought to ban drugs!

Oh, wait. They've been banned for decades now, yet they're more available, cheaper, and purer. That danged constitutional amendment allowing people to do drugs!

Oh, wait - the constitution doesn't have an amendment telling people they can do drugs?

Perhaps your thoughts here are simply flawed, then...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Is there ever a day in the US without a shooting?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiot
People hate each other. People desire to be in control of their own lives, but in societies around the world no one is in control of their own life. When a person goes to work only to be yelled and screamed at by their customers or their supervisors they become angered. Not able to vent this anger towards those that caused it, customer or supervisor, one must bottle it. The anger does not go away, but only builds until one day it explodes in a massive violent outburst. Not everyone deals with anger in the same manner, but there are those that will hand it back to those that gave it to them, society.

In today's world people are generally rewarded for being complete jerks. You can walk into a store and scream at the employees only to be rewarded with a discount, but this angers the employees bearing the brunt of this ridicule. The anger might not be released in that moment, but it will be released. It might result in a battered spouse, child, dog or even a massacre. We throw the killer in jail, but those that turned him into a killer? Rewarded.

I just want to say great post and I agree. We are too lazy it seems to trace violence and anger issues back to their root cause. Its much easier to simply dismiss all excuses and hold the individual responsible and forget about the genesis of the issues.

Society has been sick for a long time now and it has only been getting worse considering the way people are treated every second of the day. The society is no longer empathetic and no where near sympathetic, it rids you of independence by making you dependent on it under the constant thread of incarceration and criminalization. The entitlements that have been pillaged from some to give to others reinforces this "dependence" people have on the society their trapped in. The society guilt trips you into thinking you "owe" it or "someone" something...and you are indebted to the system and its people the moment you are born.

The modern environment is full of technological wonders that seem to numb or dull the negative consequences of society all the mean while allow society to dig its roots deeper and deeper into our lives...

these massacres are the culmination of too much BS in ones life...society is manufacturing massacres...NOT guns...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I'm not sure what you are getting at. What does religion have to do with gun control?

I have no problem with religion and I have no problem with guns. Both are equally dangerous in the sense that if a madman has either he will use it to some extreme. A religious nut is just as dangerous as a gun nut. The difference is religious nuts can kill 10, 20 ,50 ,100 people with a well placed suicide bombing while the gun nut will just make sure no one walks on his lawn.

Should we start issuing licenses to practice religion?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Originally posted by Common Good
Cops obviousloy cant stop people from killing other people.

So why try to take their rights to protect themselves away?

Stupid gun control freaks dont know a damn thing about self protection.

Agree, unfortunately all police can do is provide the caulk

Mean chalk, because caulk c0mes in a tube

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

On the contrary. I may be one of the few using logic here. By the logic of gun nutters (more guns make us safer), there should thus also be NO limit on what weapon one can own, right? Why not mini nukes? I am serious. Why stop at guns? I always love how the Second Amendment lovers say they should have as many and as much guns as they want but somehow they draw a line at what even they think to be reasonable, such as not being able to personally own a howitzer. Why? The line you draw is 100% subjective and arbitrary, as the line is not drawn in the Amendment. So if you acknowledge there should be a line, then saying let make guns easier to own is 100% contradictory to your logic.

In any event, It is a ridiculous argument to say arming more of the population would stop bad guys on the street. All you'd get is shoot outs by a bunch of wannabe warriors with rounds hitting innocents left and right. Multiple people drawing weapons until no one knows who the bad guys are and who are the good guys. The cops arrive an they'd have no clue who is the "shooter" and who are the defenders, so they'd start blasting away at them too. Maybe we make the bad guys where strobe lights on their heads.

Your point is devoid of logic.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is why you fire people on Friday afternoons...not on Thursdays.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Hey, I thought guns don't kill people???

Oh right...they kill multiple people in a short amount of time and with little effort.

Yeah, right. Don't worry about the murderers who know they are wrong to do so. Just worry about the zionists wrapped in flags and DHS logos, bulletproof armor, firing 1 of a billion hollow points made just for you. They don't know that it's wrong, see? That. is. a problem.

All they care about is holding onto illicit, immoral, and undeserved power. On top of them, we have to worry about project jimmy and his blue helmets, as well.

Aren't you concerned, Andre 3000? Your boy has stocked up on a billion hits of what is not allowed on any battlefield, as per the Geneva convention. This doesn't upset you in any way?

Don't worry, even if your boy loses, you win. romney and ryan are down with barry's plans. Nothing bush brought us will be reversed under either shill, you'll just have to trust me on this. You ought to be celebrating non-stop until the farce election is over.

Too bad a half black, half white national ruined it for all the other black americans that could have been POTUS. Maybe forever. Hint: it was designed to fail. Sad, really. Lots of us can see through the race diversion.

Yeah, I'd be sore too.
edit on 24-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Agreed!

That's how we do it here at my job.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

The c0ps fired him 0n the sp0t.

He and the j0b are expired

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Once again blaming something irrelevant. Let me be clear. Guns did not kill the victims. Being fired on the wrong day did not kill these people. A very upset or unbalanced or just evil person did.

I will once again repeat my original statement. Guns do not kill people and I highly doubt this person began shooting because they fired him on the wrong day.

Let's put some blame where it's due.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Silly red herring. To say we can't get rid of guns because there is simply too many of them is small minded. That sort of thinking prevents solving any big problem. To give up because something seems too daunting is weak.

No you are not getting it...I quite literally mean...you cannot un-invent the gun...like you would have to erase all the information about them throughout all of history erase the minds of everyone on the planet and ban all the materials to make one....its not about the problem being to big...its about it being impossible...just like walking through walls, or do you think we can do that too? The gun is here to stay...its the genie out of the bottle...accept it and you might start making more sense.

Not long ago carrier pigeons filled the sky in numbers so numerous they would block out the sun. Buffalo once dominated the plains. Tel Aviv was once a lifeless patch of hard scrabble. Standing on the moon was thought fantasy.
what the hell does this have to do with un-inventing guns?

I grant though eliminating guns in the U.S. is an impossibility in the face of the archaic second amendment.

the second amendment isn't anymore archaic than the world is around us. You seem to think you can create some great sense of "order" in the world by removing peoples ability to protect themselves and putting that into the hands of people with funny hats and shiny badges...this doesn't lead to anything but dependence for security and safety...and once you are dependent on someone else for your security and safety and are criminalized for trying to provide those things to yourself...you have some serious human rights violations coming your way...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Couldn't have said it better myself. I do not personally own a gun, but I find absolutely nothing wrong with gun ownership. A gun is nothing more than a tool, an inanimate object and blaming societies problems on an inanimate object strikes me as lazy. Just as you said we'd rather hurt ourselves by taking away a useful tool than take the time and effort to trace the issue and resolve it. You can mask the sent of a piece of crap, but until you remove it the problem will persist.

We force people into situations that they find undesirable. For instance if you work for a corporation as many of us must in order to survive, you have no choice as to who you sit next to or who you work with. Look we don't all get along, but I think we could live with those we don't like if we weren't forced to sit right next to them or forced to listen to them blabber on in a business meeting about nothing. This angers people, it certainly got on my nerves, not to the point of murder obviously, but not everybody has a fuse as long as mine. Simply throwing people in jail and forgetting about them doesn't just hurt them, but it hurts all of us because we're going to continue to have these problems until we investigate and resolve the actual issue which is why are they so angry?

Edit: As far as gun control is concerned. Believe it or not there are plenty of people out there who take great care of their weapons. They understand full well how dangerous the weapon can pose and take the time to learn how to handle it, when and how it should be used. Really these are the people you want to own a gun because they've educated themselves and they know how to keep a level head and use the gun in the right place and the right time. Taking guns out of the hands of level headed individuals hurts who?
edit on 24-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLaDOS
Is there ever a day in the US without a shooting?

19 hurt in 7 overnight shootings in Chicago
By NBCChicago.com

Nineteen people were wounded in at least seven shootings within eight hours overnight Thursday in Chicago, police said.
usnews.nbcnews.com...
Eight of them, mostly teenagers, were struck in what's believed to have been a drive-by shooting around 9:15 p.m. Police were patrolling the area when they heard the gunfire at 79th Street and South Essex Avenue.

Two 14-year-old boys, a 15 year-old boy, two 16-year-old boys and a 19-year-old woman were taken to area hospitals in fair to serious condition. A 28-year-old male was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.

Wondering was Obama notified?

Tracking homicides in Chicago
15 homicides in 1 week
homicides.redeyechicago.com...

Forty homicides have been recorded so far this month, RedEye data shows. Thirty-seven homicides were logged in August 2011.

We were seeing four and six shootings in the hours after an initial event," said Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. "They go back and forth like a tennis ball. You shoot us, we shoot you; you shoot us, we shoot you."

Mourners say goodbye to 16-year-old Joseph Briggs, above, at his June 20 funeral at New Zion Grove Missionary Baptist Church in Chicago. He was shot in the head during a drive-by attack while he sat on his front porch with his sister.
online.wsj.com...
In the first half of this year, 259 people were murdered in the city—a 38% uptick over last year. By contrast, New York, a city with more than three times the population, had 194 homicides in the same period, a 17% drop over last year.t

Chicago Homicides Outnumber U.S. Troop Killings In Afghanistan

The directive for police to cover the Jarrett wedding arrives at a time where Chicago is facing a surge in its homicide rate. The Daily pointed out in a Friday column that more Chicago residents -- 228 -- have been killed so far this year in the city than the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan - 144 -- over the same period.

The war zone-like statistics are not new. As WBEZ reports, while some 2,000 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, more than 5,000 people have been killed by gun fire in Chicago during that time, based on Department of Defense and FBI data.

Chicago's murder rate is also currently quadruple that of New York and double Los Angeles' rate. Gun violence Friday evening into Saturday took the lives of at least one person -- Antonio Buck, of the 5400 block of South Aberdeen -- and wounded at least seven others, including a 16-year-old boy shot in the lower back around 11 p.m. Friday.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

WONDERING WAS OBAMA NOTIFIED!?

Interesting that he was notified of this shooting.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The news makes it sound like the shooter had a shot gun.

Wonder if any one was hit by gun fire by security shooting at the shooter.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by rottenrascals

In New York City acquiring a gun is not an easy task. Anyone who goes about doing so probably already has it in their head to do some damage. If it wasn't a gun, it would be a knife, a car, a pipebomb, or his bear hands.

A person who wants to kill, will kill, regardless of the tools he uses.

Yeah, but in the spirit of enlightened self interest, I'm okay with some idiot carrying a knife or his bare hands trying to kill me. It might even be fun to take the guy on, but I have no chance if he's got a gun - even if I have one but he's got the drop on me. The religion of unfettered access to whatever crowd-hosing weapon with a super-extended ammo clip a person is wetdreaming about is a really messed up religion. That anyone can possibly worship that and Christianity - and at the same time - is beyond my own ability to reconcile. The dichotomy is pretty obvious to the rest of the believing world, and it seems that only the American Christian is capable of this contradictory thought process. It's like a life/death cult of some sort, and almost similar to the way that Voodoo emerged from the confluence of African pagan and Catholicism in the Caribbean as a result of the slave trade bringing the two together. Just the weirdest mindset.

Besides the pseudo religious point what I'm hearing is you're OK if you have a fighting chance re; knives, bare hand, clubs, whatever etc. ect.

Posit this real life scenario, lived in a major metropolitan area and for years there was a rash of armed late night restaurant hold-ups where patrons were robbed, beaten and sometimes shot. The state had no concealed carry at the time. Then a massacre occurred where it was found many dead had firearms in their autos - but had followed law and did not carry into massacre site. Concealed carry was passed soon after the massacre. Once concealed carry passed the late night restaurant robberies stopped.

Its not individual defense that stopped the robberies, it was clear knowledge by the perpetrators that multiple people unknown to them could open fire on them anytime, they weighed the odds and found something else to do with less risk to themselves.

In the end in states with unfettered concealed carry you will have better than even odds that a fellow civilian will indeed save your life even at the risk of theirs.

Has anyone noticed in the recent spate of mass shootings that they have all occured where it could be reasonably surmised that the victims were unarmed beforehand by the perpetrator(s)
edit on 24-8-2012 by Phoenix because: sp

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join