It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple People Reported Shot Near Empire State Building

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Reports say 2 cops fired total of 14 shots.

Did the report state how many shots hit the real target, the shooter?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tport17
Link

This website is claiming it started as an attempted robbery.

Of the nine victims, one was a 32-year-old woman who was shot in the leg. The extent of the injuries for the other victims is unclear.

Not all the victims were found at the intesection of 34th Street and 5th Avenue. Police continued to discover more victims in the area along 33rd Street and Fifth Avenue.

All victims are being transported to Bellevue Hospital, and two of them are listed in stable condition.

edit on 24-8-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

interesting that 9 people got shot. 16 bullets fired with 9 people injured. Two officer fired the 16 shots one officer shot 7, the other shot 9 yet and we get 9 bystanders. That's one hell of a good ratio considering they hit the guy 7 times. all that's left is the 9 bullets fired and not one missed a bystander

heres a link news.yahoo.com...
edit on 24-8-2012 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
It appears no one but the revenge victim would have been hurt if not for the police. The shooter didn't seem to be out to mass murder people. As always, there may have been more than one way to handle capturing the shooter. Maybe had the police stayed farther away they might have been able to deal with it in a way other then a bunch of cops running up and opening fire at once. Maybe not. We will not know.

I agree. Cops lately seem to want to shoot first and ask questions.....never. There doesn't seem to be any policy of trying to prevent and discourage LEOs from just opening fire. Shooting should be a last resort, not a way to say hello. I think there has been a cultural shift that allows those with a badge to believe that they are always in the right and the people on the street are just suspects waiting to be caught. Anecdote time....

A local cop shot an unarmed man and after an investigation he was moved to a desk job, but the shooting was deemed righteous. So why is he riding the desk? Because it was the 17th excessive force complaint he'd gotten in his 20 year career and the second such shooting. But we're still paying him and he'll be able to retire, full benefits. This is the culture I was referring to. That gun and badge should come with some steep penalties for abusing them. It simply doesn't anymore. And people know that if the cops show up, you're dead, so they're more inclined to shoot first themselves.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nietrick

I agree. Cops lately seem to want to shoot first and ask questions.....never. There doesn't seem to be any policy of trying to prevent and discourage LEOs from just opening fire

Perp drwew his gun and was pointing it at the cops when they opened fire

Had already killed someone.....

What were they supposed to do numbnutz? Write him a ticket.....?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Video of incident

Perp is in gray suit with black bag

Can see him draw gun and point it at cops as they run up to confront him

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

interesting that 9 people got shot. 16 bullets fired with 9 people injured. Two officer fired the 16 shots one officer shot 7, the other shot 9 yet and we get 9 bystanders. That's one hell of a good ratio considering they hit the guy 7 times. all that's left is the 9 bullets fired and not one missed a bystander

Firing a Full jacket round from from a 9mm (FMJ) good chance will pass through body unless strikes a large bone

Will have sufficent velocity to injure

That is because bleeding heart liberals refuse to use hollow point ammunition which has a greater chance
of putting perp down without passing through body

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
16 shots to bring down one man.

Why does it take that many shots. Since their lives were in such immediate danger that required immediate shots, wouldn't they be just be a short distance away. Seems more than half missed the target.

Poor aim? Don't these man train and qualify quite often.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The police fired 16 rounds altogether? Did anyone else watch the video? They were so close to him i could have plugged him in the face with one bullet!!!! and not spray bullets all through the crowd killing and injuring civillians!!!!!\
#ing useless cops , makes my blood boil. Learn to shoot you pieces of #

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nietrick

Originally posted by roadgravel
It appears no one but the revenge victim would have been hurt if not for the police. The shooter didn't seem to be out to mass murder people. As always, there may have been more than one way to handle capturing the shooter. Maybe had the police stayed farther away they might have been able to deal with it in a way other then a bunch of cops running up and opening fire at once. Maybe not. We will not know.

I agree. Cops lately seem to want to shoot first and ask questions.....never. There doesn't seem to be any policy of trying to prevent and discourage LEOs from just opening fire. Shooting should be a last resort, not a way to say hello. I think there has been a cultural shift that allows those with a badge to believe that they are always in the right and the people on the street are just suspects waiting to be caught. Anecdote time....

A local cop shot an unarmed man and after an investigation he was moved to a desk job, but the shooting was deemed righteous. So why is he riding the desk? Because it was the 17th excessive force complaint he'd gotten in his 20 year career and the second such shooting. But we're still paying him and he'll be able to retire, full benefits. This is the culture I was referring to. That gun and badge should come with some steep penalties for abusing them. It simply doesn't anymore. And people know that if the cops show up, you're dead, so they're more inclined to shoot first themselves.

Do you honestly believe that they shouldnt have shot this guy? LMAO. Of course they should have shot him, just woulda been better if they could learn how to shoot

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedman

I agree. Cops lately seem to want to shoot first and ask questions.....never. There doesn't seem to be any policy of trying to prevent and discourage LEOs from just opening fire

As a former Peace office I will tell you.

They should have drawn their weapons and prepared to fire. They should have Ensured they had a clear field of fire and then, if necessary, fired on the assailant. If the field of fire was not clear they should have held fire until there was no other choice. Meaning. In order to protect life they are REQUIRED to do what is necessary even if it means taking one in the chest. That is how the job works.

Once the assailant fired and the situation would cause a reasonable person to determine that the risk of allowing the assailant to continue to fire his weapon was a greater risk than the officers their weapons; they could then open fire. Otherwise they are Required to contain the threat until a sufficiently overwhelming force can arrive and neutralize the threat in one way or another.

That is how professionals would handle it. And before you whine about how the poor officers could get hurt if they waited; if they didn't want to protect the public at all costs they shouldn't have joined the police force. What a bunch of cowards to go at the man guns blazing with a full backfield. Too stupid and too scared and probably too roided up and poorly trained.

Our boys and girls in military uniform are more professional in war zones when ppl are sniping or mortarting or firing at them with AKs everyday than these pussies will ever be.

I would hope they get fired but there is no chance of that with his majesty running the city. Well. They voted for him time and again. I hope they like what they got

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Never leave your house without your bulletproof vest, I thought all Americans knew this.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by rottenrascals

Hey I remember in the 80's there was one night when New York City was completely crimeless. It made the news.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedman

Ah, the voice of reason! I agree 100%. Had they not discharged their weapons first I would seriously question their ability to function as police officers. The "bad guy" had already set the stage. Cops function by following the most conservative course of action per the situation; in this case, the most conservative action was to kill this guy. Not "talk down," not try to "reason with him," not try to "wound him, or shoot him in the leg," but to kill him. To eliminate the threat immediately.

What the general public doesn't know about emergency workers, this include LEO's, fire fighter, flight paramedics and flight nurses, paramedics, and EMTs...we begin EVERY shift thinking, "I'm going home to my family safely and alive at the end of my shift," however, this needs to be accomplished within the confines of your duties and responsibilities.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

the people that call for help turn on there help,
he might kill some one. wate dont hurt him!!
i couldnt be a cop they have so much red tape. they are only human.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I see what you're saying in regards to eliminating the threat and emergency workers desiring to go home to their families after their shift, who doesn't you know. However; I don't think that they've eliminated any threat at all, they may have killed this shooter, who probably was planning on a suicide by cop anyway, but there will be more. You know people are becoming restless, more and more upset at this corporate dictatorship that we all have to put up with. Most of the time they can't go out and shoot the actual dictator, he's too well protected with hundreds of security guards, but the assailant is angry and he's going to vent that anger somewhere.

Shootings like this are an indicator that a problem exists, not with the individual shooter, but with the society from where the shooter came. We create angry people, we force them into corporate bondage, we force them into situations where their every move is dictated by their superiors and they get pissed off. The real assailants, the dictators, get off without so much as a slap on the wrist, what do they care if one of their supervisors died, they'll just hire another. As long as they exist there will be no peace, for me, I will not work for these dictators. I will not help them to accomplish their goals or help them to maintain their dictatorships. Their dictatorships cause anger and crime and if I'm working for them then I'm helping them to do that.

You know they say all that is needed is for good people to do nothing, but the good people have no choice. The 'good' people are getting killed as a result of what the dictators are doing. If the good people do nothing there's a good chance they're going to get shot by some anger fueled massacre. Sure the good people can sit idle, but they're killing themselves by doing so.

Oh and if you're a supervisor or manager out there then I suggest you start to mind your Ps and Qs around your employees, if this is any indicator then you should know that any one of your peons might just snap.

edit on 25-8-2012 by Symbiot because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2012 by Symbiot because: Typo

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here's an interesting video www.dumpert.nl...

(English the comments Dutch)

Its shot in Ohio, most intriguing is when the officer says, "i respect your right exercising the 2d amendment, with you guys in the area we're not gonna have any crime.. carrying weapons like that.."
Then again this officer keeps his cool, in NYC the poor boy would've had a bullet between his eyes before he can even reach for his weapon.
edit on 25-8-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor7
It seems public shooting has become a weekly affair in the US. That is a scary scenario, something needs to reverse this trend.

As I told my husband yesterday, another high profile massacre or two, and the right to bear arms will be erased from the constitution. People will be crying for it to happen.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If any of the bystander shot by the cops die, I bet thecops won't get charged with anything as anyone else would be.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin
I was 3 blocks away when this happened. I work right around the corner. Just craziness. I'll say the same thing I said after Colorado: one armed citizen returning fire would have put him down faster than responding cops..when you live in a big "weapon-free "zone like NY or CA, you are just sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

Imma break a law or 2 while I'm here. Not going unarmed any more..

Really? At least two armed policemen with firearms training in a built up area managed to injure a number of innocent people nearby. Lets just say 50% of people had been armed I wonder how many people would have ended up injured of dead due to them missing the guy and through ricochets from multiple bullets?

Unless all armed citizens are crackshots what you said was nonsense. And if you enjoy breaking the law, its probably better not to advocate it here.

Really? Anyone who has a CCW had some basic firearms training as part of the CCW class(at least I did when I had a CCW) and, CCW holders tend to be BETTER shots than your average cop,IMHO. Cops shoot just to stay qualified, but rarely have to actually shoot line of duty. CCW holders, as armed citizens, bereft of the authority and protection of being a LEO, takes shooting and carrying much more seriously. No union rep if they # up. No backup. Just an armed citizen, fully utilizing his/her rights afforded under the constitution, not just having to cower and wait for agents of the state to save the day.

Not bashing cops, BTW. Just saying, one gunslinger with proper training at the right place and time makes a positive difference vs. an active shooter engaging random innocents. Response by cops takes time, which is a precious commodity in such a situation as this.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Idk man, Norway has some crayz history that is not regularly spoken of...

New York has the same laws as ANY OTHER BIG CITY. SF is the same but people get shot in SF on the daily. Someone just got shot on Fillmore ave just now I betcha
edit on 8/25/12 by Vicker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join