It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel vs. Iran: On the Brink?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Batchelor was sure hamming it up was he not? On his scale on the chances of Israel attacking Iran is somewhere between 6 and 7. In reality it's probably between 2 and 3.

Why would both countries continually bark out their plans and ruin the element of surprise? Are any of the countries calling up the reserves, or moving massive amounts of equipment needed for staging an attack?

If Turkey is massing troops on Syria's border, then maybe something will happen there, but as far as Iran and Israel mixing it up; it doesn't seem likely.

If Israel does go at it alone, I'm assuming they'll have a trump card in their sleeve (Flame, Stuxnet) because as it stands in the known world; they cannot cripple Iran's reactors like they did Iraq's and Syria's with one surprise surgical strike. It will take many many many strikes to do so.
edit on 21-8-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0
War is coming

Yep - guaranteed - right at the end of the peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

I think boths sides are goading each other so that they look like the good guys for defending themselves in the worlds eyes.

Both sides can use a false flag event to kick things off.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

War is coming

Its already started....

So it begins.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

War is coming

Its already started....

So it begins.

oh no he dinnit.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

War is coming

Its already started....

So it begins.

oh no he dinnit.

Lol!

I love saying that.

Hadn't seen it in a while.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

The Turks will do what they feel is right to defend their nation.

By invading another nation that has sat on their border for how long?

To be sure at the behest of the US. They just can't seem to accept the idea that violating other countries national sovereignty is against the law. And the fume and foam at the mouth in the UN, the media and everywhere to somehow find a reason to do just that... again and again, and again.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well, this makes a lot of sense...and it;s scary as hell. I never really figured for Turkey being a primary combatant for the coming war. 150,000 troops is no mere show of force and the logistics alone for keeping that many troops out of garrison and properly fed and cared for is no small matter in money or trouble. I can't see that they expect to hold them in that position for long.

The Kurds have been talking big about new strength and opportunity for a Kurdistan and Turkey has been as clear as crystal for many years, it'll be a cold day in a real hot place before that ever happens along their borders.

"The Kurds are emerging as one of the major winners of the crisis in Syria," said Fawaz A. Gerges, director of the Middle East Center at the London School of Economics. "They have begun laying the foundation for an autonomous region like their counterparts in Iraq. It's a dream-like situation for them."

Kurds see their chance to win the kind of autonomy that their ethnic brothers enjoy in Iraq. But this raises alarm bells for Turkey, one of the key state backers of the rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad and a country where Kurdish rebels have been fighting a violent struggle for self-rule for the last 28 years.

Syri a War Empowers Long Oppressed Kurdish Minority

Oh, this could get real ugly... Turkey's an odd duck in all this... They have some relations with Iran, as I recall... They are NATO. HATE the the Kurds enough to have actually crossed the Iraqi border a couple times while the U.S. was in control there to get at them for cross border Kurd attacks......and just to toss in for laughs, they hate Israel with a purple passion right at the moment and to the degree that they unilaterally hacked and disabled their F-16's IFF systems so they could, if they chose, engage Israeli Aircraft.

Well.... this will get wild by the looks of things. Turkey is the 800lb Gorilla to the smaller combatants out there. Wow!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You should explain that to the Kurds and to Syria...

www.statesman.com...

By Elizabeth A. Kennedy and Andrea Glioti

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Syrian forces opened fire across two tense borders Monday, killing a TV journalist in Lebanon and wounding at least six in a refugee camp in Turkey on the eve of a cease-fire deadline that seems all but certain to fail.

in.reuters.com...

KKARI, Turkey, Aug 20 (Reuters) - A car bomb a senior Turkish politician blamed on Kurdish separatists exploded near a police station in a city near Turkey's southeastern border with Syria on Monday, killing at least eight people and wounding dozens more.

TV footage from Gaziantep showed a bus and the surrounding area ablaze and smoke billowing into the sky as firemen tried to fight the fire. Ambulances ferried casualties to hospital while anxious residents looked on.

Respecting sovereignty? Not really. Again, the Turks will do what is need to protect their nation. And personally, I wouldn't want to mess with the Turks.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
If Turkish troops invade Syria .....

Would that be a NATO action ?

Hell with NATO, what would Russia do as he sees Turkey as a arm off of NATO's body.

You have all sides at this point lobbing threats in the direction of one another while not really being specific. When they start calling out individual leaders, then you can sure bet its on like donkey kong.

The war of words is wrapping up, and people are being hush hush in a major respect to what it is that may happen when a certian creiteria are met. This is dangerous IMO, because it further props up the idea that war is on the horizen.

Damned if we do, and damned if we don't....and there is nothing Obama can do to stop it.....and any inaction on his part will be the end of his political career. there may very well be no election this year if this does kick off in October. because it will be ugly enough to put something like an election on the back burner until its all said and done.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I've just read that Turkish troops have entered syria's Kurdish region!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

They have biological weapons too.Turkey can invade but will lose millions of civilians to syrian biological weapons then.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Hi Johnny. Hope all is silent on the Eastern Front. BTW The Manchurian Candidate (2004) really sucks. Three Kings is much better. Oh, and Mr. Kunstadter... would the intel and material advantage provided to Syria constitute a Casus Belli? Or do war decs. only go one way these days?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
I've just read that Turkish troops have entered syria's Kurdish region!

Link please?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I don't believe the situation can go on like this much longer. There is evidence that fighting has spread into Lebanon. It is a full blown civil war now and I don't seeing it ending in reconciliation.

It has never been a Civil War, much less a Full Blown . . anything.
What I see is a breakdown of the "Rebels" despite the infusion of foreign jihadists, to where they can't hold any ground for longer than five days and have to keep shifting around just to stay ahead of the Syrian Army.
"The West" is desperate to make a move right now while they can still claim a justification for a "safe zone" before the rebel fighting fizzles out completely. Right now they are reduced to running from street to street, popping up to fire randomly back at their pursuers.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Am not suprised from Turkey joining anothet war! Its so typical from them! Almost their whole history "from what i know" is wars wars wars.... and lets dont forget one small thing... they aint no saints!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I really don't think this is true..150k soldiers waiting at the border would be stupid, why wait and let the enemy build up a defence. That is a large number to miss, surly any country would see that many troops by their border. I don't think the turks are that stupid, if they had that many at the border they would of attacked already and I'm sure they've would of done it way before in smaller groups.. Anyways there isn't any proof of this and I don't belive it and think it's pure exaggeration.. Maybe they have 150 troops guarding there border that seems more logic and would make sense..

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The Turkish people do not approve of Egrodans actions but since Egrodan is a US-UK-Israel sympathizer he will go along with the criminals. .

You are wrong

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by daaskapital

I know what he said but generally, when you talk about a country falling, the city that is most important is the capital no?

And I suppose we should be calling it Istanbul.

Actually it depends on the country and those fighting the war, and the circumstances.

For example, the American war of 1812, Washington was captured and burned by the British, yet the Americans kept fighting on (which I'm sure the British found rude as that was pretty much the end game rule for war back then: capture the country's capital city and it's game over).

More modern warfare, it's more about removing the country's infrastructure and ability to make war, and the military's ability to fight.
For example in WW2, if the allies had some how "captured" Berlin and controlled it very early in the war, it would not have automatically ended the war with Germany, not with the rest of the country still having the ability to make munitions and with an intact army.
Berlin was eventually "captured" by the USSR finally, but only after the rest of the country had been bombed and invaded by the allies, removing Germany's ability to continue fighting a war at all.

Sometimes a country will "cheat" and move it's capital. The civil war here in the US saw that. The southern confederate states had their capital in Montgomery, Alabama. But then was moved to Richmond, Virginia. Later in the war, and as the northern Union forces drew near Richmond, the southern states had planned to move the capital again, however it wasn't enacted up before General Lee surrendered to Union forces and ended the war.

Leave no doubt, if Washington were to suddenly be "captured" by enemy forces today, while being demoralizing, it wouldn't stop Americans from fighting (other people in the world see us as stupid, arrogant and fat. In reality what we really are is stubborn and pissed off, heh). I think it would have been the same for the Soviets if Germany had actually be able to capture Moscow in WW2. It would have be demoralizing, but I imagine they would not have surrendered to the Germans even then.

So capturing a capital may or may not lead to a country's fall. There are other things with modern warfare that contribute to that.
Unlike how it was a long time ago where the capture of a capital was considered the checkmate move.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The Turkish people do not approve of Egrodans actions but since Egrodan is a US-UK-Israel sympathizer he will go along with the criminals. .

You are wrong

To tell you the truth... this look hypocritical from Erdogan... talking about lives being killed while knowing what Turkey as a nation has done to the world!! Ask what Turkey has done to Cyprus, Greece, Armenians and so forth! And I am not talking about the past.. but also for the present! Am hearing the words from someone who represents a country who was threatening Cyprus (for example) few months ago, for discovering physical gas in their area (Cyprus)'; and if they made use of THEIR physical gas they will engage an attack on them!

This is typical from Turkish culture! Am NOT Racist and so forth... but i know how Turkey is a master of propaganda and they can manipulate news and stories for their own benefits and look as the good guys!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join