It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234
based on fact.

and propaganda. you're welcome, atheist. lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Im quite good at philispohical hostility though if youd like to see what its like...

God is a crutch for ignorant idiots that would rather die than live in a "cold dark world" without their childish nightlight of a genocidal imaginary friend who would kill you for having to much skin on your genitals. People with religious beliefs in my opinion are some of the most emotionally immature people i have ever seen. I look forward to they day they are all dead and not out enabling or tempting some wounded person into giving up their rationality for deluded self-comfort.

Now lets all notice how much nicer Anne is.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Do you think Atheists experience the world in a lesser way because they do not acknowledge God?

Are they less likely to have spiritual experience, or do they just explain the same experience differently?

Does spirit exist in their body any less?

I've been reading this daily kaballah book, and one day it tells you to not seek God at all. Don't force it, just sort of let the world happen. Atheists are certainly accomplishing spiritual wisdom in this sense...

I'm not sure if belief or study of religion/mysticism/divinity directly enhances the connection to God. Although I do engage in these activities, and find myself feeling high levels of enjoyment when directing my thinking toward universal philosophies. But this feeling of enjoyment can be surely equaled by a book about physics or biology.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Now lets all notice how much nicer Anne is.

LOL
You made my day.

Actually - - I am quite good at sticking the knife in - twisting it - and still have a smile on my face.

By choice - - I try to stay within straight forward logic and actual experience.

Its quite interesting when some accuse me of using emotions in posting. If you read emotions into a post - - you are actually interpreting from your own emotions. You are reading your own emotions.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have noticed that all my cousins, brother and myself, so this entire generation of grandkids, are athiests, we have religious parents.

I am not athiest, I am pagan. But not many people know that.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

There is a difference. Jesus was trying to show people that there was a simpler way and trying to help people. Atheists seem to make things complicated. I also don't see many Atheists helping people get healed unless they are getting paid.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Pagans I get along with, Atheists seem too pushy. I visit a pagan site too. I think the pagan people are mostly funloving and easy to get along with there, except a few pushy ones. Some get fired up, especially the Irish and celtic ones.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm technically an atheist, I guess, as I don't believe in "God" as portrayed by organized religion.

I'm not at all pushy. I don't care what other people believe. That is, until they use their invisible buddy to try to infringe on my rights, or inject their beliefs into the law.

Your average church goer? Whatever floats their boat.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

There is a difference. Jesus was trying to show people that there was a simpler way and trying to help people. Atheists seem to make things complicated. I also don't see many Atheists helping people get healed unless they are getting paid.

I'm gonna ask this question again.

How many and where have you met atheists in real life. You know everyday real life.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I know about five atheists personally. I may know more but am not aware of everyone's beliefs. I know just as many agnostic and pagans as Christians. A lot of the Agnostics believe there is something but don't care for religions, preferring to just live their lives. As far as people I knew well, it's in the thousands. More people recognize me than I recognize them. I know people well in all walks of life. From bums to hookers to judges and cops to senators and congressmen. I also know drug dealers, businessmen, and people in all trades. I have gained knowledge of all kinds of professions so fit in well with most people. I am a very sociable and easy going person who gets along with most people of all classes. Of the Atheists I know all are all positive there is no god and everyone else is wrong that believes otherwise. They go out of their way to cut down Christians if the subject is brought up. Some of the Fanatic Christians I know also cut down other Christians along with all other religions so Atheists are not alone in their ways.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Basially atheism boils down to they don't believe so no one else should, and yep they formed their very own "religion" to spread that zealotry across the country,.

Really? as an atheist I have never encountered that.

I dont' care what you believe - if yuo want to believe in a gd then that is fine by me.

I is the theists who tell me I HAVE to believe in THEIR god who piss me off. They are freakin' everywhere - all oave the airwaves, there are signs all around het city - pushing their beliefs onto me when i don't share them.

Can't say I've seen many signs pushing atheism lately - nor any atheists preaching on street corners, nor pairs of neatly dressed atheists cycling down hte street. I know of no atheist "missions" in africa, I know of no atheists who will kill you for being apostate from atheism.

all in all i'm going to say that your posting is rubbish.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You mean so many atheist at university around the world doing endless number of research to improve the life of human population just do because of money? Teaching/Research salary around the world at university level is pretty low in comparison with private sector... But hey... these atheist are bunch of greedy people that don't want help other people

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Good. The human race is becoming more intelligent.

Your post perfectly exemplifies what I wanted to point out.

This anti-religious sentiment is extremely popular on ATS, as evidenced by the SIXTY+ stars you were given for your one line post.

I think people should consider carefully what they support in this case.

It was Karl Marx who brought us Atheism as a key cog in Communism. He said "Communism begins from the outset with atheism"

It's not a stretch to say, that the apathy people are feeling more and more with respect to "religion" is in fact a purposeful and deliberate attempt by TPTB to subvert them via apathy, into submission, under some form of Communism.

Don't any of you see this happening? It's plain as day to me.

Don't like "organised religion"? Fine, but I caution people to avoid being faithless. You have to believe is something inherently GOOD. Doesn't matter what it is but hold onto it, because the alternative seems to be apathy, and then enslavement.

edit on 16-8-2012 by HIWATT because: spellin'

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

I believe in good things - I just don't have to believe in any deity to do so.

And of course your quote from Marx is selective and not complete - the full sentence was:

Communism begins from the outset (Owen) with atheism; but atheism is at first far from being communism; indeed, that atheism is still mostly an abstraction.
- from here

So he did not equate communism with athesim at all as you er trying to imply - but was pointing out that it is only a condition for starting communism.

It is also a condition for many things - like treating people with proper respect simply because they are people - there is no religion in the world that I am aware of that does this - they all say that gays are sinners, or infidels will burn in hell, or the "untouchables" are nto worth as much as someone else or some such. Perhaps Budhism gets close - I'm not all that familiar with its precepts.

As an atheist I am not restricted by any such nonsense.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by HIWATT

So he did not equate communism with athesim at all as you er trying to imply - but was pointing out that it is only a condition for starting communism.

= semantics.

I did not say a deity was needed in order to "believe in something good" rather that the simple belief in goodness itself is sufficient to counter the onset and affects of apathy.

Some people find that in a deity, others do not. I find atheism dangerous in this regard, as I sense a lot of anger coming from those who aspire to it.
Unresolved anger eventually becomes apathy, which...... (see my previous post)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

reply to post by HIWATT

= semantics.

I did not say a deity was needed in order to "believe in something good" rather that the simple belief in goodness itself is sufficient to counter the onset and affects of apathy.

Some people find that in a deity, others do not. I find atheism dangerous in this regard, as I sense a lot of anger coming from those who aspire to it.

So pretty much what you are saying is, its better to believe in a fake deity without proof and dump your problems on it. and people that don't have a deity will break and cause havoc? Maybe true atheist have a strong mind that doesn't rely on comfort from a deity.

There are alots of part-time Atheist, who are either frustrated with religion(all Atheist go thru this till the understand the that there is no point in believing) or you have people who jump on the ride because its cool.

I was an Atheist before i knew the word itself.

I myself a spiritual atheist. i do yoga, meditation, and i believe in karma and chakra, chi,.. in general, Energy. and i do not need a god and set of rules to live peacefully with myself.
edit on 8/16/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I know about five atheists personally. I may know more but am not aware of everyone's beliefs. I know just as many agnostic and pagans as Christians.

How do you know these atheists? I'm really curious. I have never met another atheist just walking about the mall or grocery store.

I have had Christians come right up to me and start conversations and question me about what I believe.

Every honest atheist should also claim agnostic. It actually means God can not be proven or dis-proven.

As far as people I knew well, it's in the thousands. More people recognize me than I recognize them. I know people well in all walks of life. From bums to hookers to judges and cops to senators and congressmen. I also know drug dealers, businessmen, and people in all trades. I have gained knowledge of all kinds of professions so fit in well with most people. I am a very sociable and easy going person who gets along with most people of all classes.

You must have an interesting profession.

Of the Atheists I know all are all positive there is no god and everyone else is wrong that believes otherwise. They go out of their way to cut down Christians if the subject is brought up.

Seems a bit odd all the atheists you know are the same. Is it a group or something?

Some of the Fanatic Christians I know also cut down other Christians along with all other religions so Atheists are not alone in their ways.

Yes - that I have personally experienced.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by HIWATT

reply to post by HIWATT

= semantics.

So pretty much what you are saying is, its better to believe in a fake deity without proof and dump your problems on it. and people that don't have a deity will break and cause havoc? Maybe true atheist have a strong mind that doesn't rely on comfort from a deity.

There are alots of part-time Atheist, who are either frustrated with religion(all Atheist go thru this till the understand the that there is no point in believing) or you have people who jump on the ride because its cool.

I was an Atheist before i knew the word itself.

I myself a spiritual atheist. i do yoga, meditation, and i believe in karma and chakra, chi,.. in general, Energy. and i do not need a god and set of rules to live peacefully with myself.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that from my post. I said no such thing. (?)

Possibly you are projecting an attack on my part, on atheism, and are bucking up in response?

I only made an observation on atheism, and how I see the non-belief element of it possibly leading to apathy/ (downward spiral)

If that does not describe you, I'm glad.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube

You mean so many atheist at university around the world doing endless number of research to improve the life of human population just do because of money? Teaching/Research salary around the world at university level is pretty low in comparison with private sector... But hey... these atheist are bunch of greedy people that don't want help other people

yes, but their "want" is of no deeper significance if you believe purely in the physical, it is just a chemical reaction in the brain nothing more or less- each to their own, and I'm not exactly a fervent religious person myself, but let us not dress up atheist belief in anything else than just basic physical existence with no other significance

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Can't say I've seen many signs pushing atheism lately - nor any atheists preaching on street corners, nor pairs of neatly dressed atheists cycling down the street. I know of no atheist "missions" in Africa, I know of no atheists who will kill you for being apostate from atheism.

Yeah - - I still don't understand where anyone is meeting all these atheists in real life - - that they are insulted or harassed by them.

Unless - - its a discussion group or lecture at school - etc.

When has anyone come up to you and said: "Hi - I'm an atheist"?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join