It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the universe. They tend to derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle from their ideas about the cosmos and human nature. There are thousands of religions in the world.[1]
reply to post by detachedindividual

What I stated is that a measure of intelligence is not directly related to religious beliefs or lack of religious beliefs.

Is a pink bunny on mars a religious belief… Not really.

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks,
Blend57

edit on 16-8-2012 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blend57

No one can measure a person’s intelligence by their religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs. I get offended when people start to equate how intelligent a person is based on their beliefs. Both sides of the table have and do offer some great minds.

What is intelligence? The ability to think or the ability to apply that thinking?

You can be talking to a very intelligent person - - mention Jesus - - they lose their brain. They lose all logical thought.

IMO - - religion definitely affects how a person uses their intelligence.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I guess I don't understand your reasoning. If you are talking to an intelligent person, does that not make them intelligent?
Please explain??

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Basially atheism boils down to they don't believe so no one else should, and yep they formed their very own "religion" to spread that zealotry across the country,.

But then agian those are the same people who created "the church of climatology" and the same people who believe in the "church of government".

Hypocrisy at it's finest and if your an atheist who doesn't believe more power to you, but at the same time THAT does not give them the right to denigrate those who do.

Seems one of the fundamental teachings of religion is respect I always thought, and yeah the favorite villian is the Chiristians, but the ferocity they go after Christians they will not say anything bad about other religions so iff athiest's want to be respected how about showing some?

Too much to ask I know.
edit on 16-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Interesting. I'm an agnostic, just thought I'd tell you all before I added this.

Jesus' return will be unexpected
Bible prophecy: 2 Peter 3:1-18
Prophecy written: During the first century
Prophecy fulfilled: To be fulfilled

In 2 Peter, which is the name of an epistle (letter) in the New Testament of the Bible, we are told that the return of Jesus will take people by surprise, that "the day of the Lord will come like a thief."

With atheism on the rise in U.S, I can see why Jesus' return will be unexpected.

Source

edit on 16-8-2012 by TheProphetMark because: Spelling

edit on 16-8-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I guess I don't understand your reasoning. If you are talking to an intelligent person, does that not make them intelligent?
Please explain??

Thanks,
Blend57

NO. Intelligence is nothing if not applied.

If you lose all logical thinking - - - because someone mentions Jesus - - - I personally find that extremely debilitating.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Basially atheism boils down to they don't believe so no one else should, and yep they formed their very own "religion" to spread that zealotry across the country,.

No it doesn't. And atheism is not a religion.

People like you who spread false information - - - are far more harmful to society.

But then agian those are the same people who created "the church of climatology" and the same people who believe in the "church of government".

Ya know what. You are so extreme Right Wing - - - you are incapable of unbiased logical comments.

Hypocrisy at it's finest and if your an atheist who doesn't believe more power to you, but at the same time THAT does not give them the right to denigrate those who do.

Everything gives me the right to keep God our of government.

Seems one of the fundamental teachings of religion is respect I always thought, and yeah the favorite villian is the Chiristians, but the ferocity they go after Christians they will not say anything bad about other religions so iff athiest's want to be respected how about showing some?

Do you even have a clue what you say?

Too much to ask I know.

Do you even have a clue what you are asking?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think it's a lot to do with the internet. New generations are a lot more info-savvy and can make up their own minds as opposed to only hearing one side of the story from family etc.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I have to disagree with you on that statement about intelligence. A person does not need to apply his intelligence to be intelligent. For example. If I were to challenge the government on all the stupid things they do, they would destroy me even though I was right. It would be stupid to apply my intellect on that venture where it would crush my life. If I were to challenge a mob of Muslims and got killed it would not be smart. If I challenged a bunch of bikers in a biker bar even though I was right, it would be dumb.

Atheists challenging Christianity is chaotic but not smart in this country. Even the witches know better.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

So what your saying is that atheists are like modern day jesus christs.

That seems like quite alot of praise, are you sure you dont want to rephrase that?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by Annee

I have to disagree with you on that statement about intelligence. A person does not need to apply his intelligence to be intelligent.

I disagree. Intelligence has to be applied. You do not have to agree how it is applied.

For example. If I were to challenge the government on all the stupid things they do, they would destroy me even though I was right. It would be stupid to apply my intellect on that venture where it would crush my life. If I were to challenge a mob of Muslims and got killed it would not be smart. If I challenged a bunch of bikers in a biker bar even though I was right, it would be dumb.

Stupid is objective.

How is you challenging a mob of Muslims intelligent? If you applied intelligence - - you would survey the situation - - either decline or make sure you had the back up power to come out the victor.

Atheists challenging Christianity is chaotic but not smart in this country. Even the witches know better.

Mob rule?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Please explain??

Thanks,
Blend57

If you lose all logical thinking - - - because someone mentions Jesus - - - I personally find that extremely debilitating.

So, this is a personal feeling, not that a person is less intelligent, just that you feel they are? If so, that is not what I was referring to. I was referring to the fact that both atheism and religion have offered up very intelligent people who did great things.

For example, I do not like to have conversations on religion, and when someone starts to talk with me about religion, I tend to tune them out. I don’t feel the conversation is valuable, but I try not to judge a person’s overall intelligence on their beliefs. Whether they believe in God or not does not mean they have nothing of value to contribute to society.

That’s why I say that you cannot judge a person’s intelligence on whether or not they believe in a religion. Because personal belief aside, I cannot say definitively that stupid = religion, nor can I say definitively that smart = atheism.

When I looked it up, both sides have offered up very intelligent people and contributed positively to society.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Please explain??

Thanks,
Blend57

So, this is a personal feeling, not that a person is less intelligent

Don't twist it.

I said intelligence have to be applied.

both atheism and religion have offered up very intelligent people who did great things.

Of course they have. They've also offered up plenty that did not apply their intelligence.

For example, I do not like to have conversations on religion, and when someone starts to talk with me about religion,

Never said you did.

You are the one making this personal.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

People like you who spread false information - - - are far more harmful to society.

Who is the one who goes from thread to thread and Bash Christianity everyday?

Not me

Ya know what. You are so extreme Right Wing - - - you are incapable of unbiased logical comments.

Care to point out how that is the topic?

Everything gives me the right to keep God our of government.

Sorry you have no more rights than anyone else the first amendment is quite clear:

he First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

There is absolutely no power to prohibit the free exercise of a persons religion.

Yeah I asked for people to SHOW RESPECT and apparently with all the personal snips in that reply to me just shows how incapable some people are,.

edit on 16-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not making it personal, just trying to understand......

Religion has no factor on a persons intelligence to me, so, I was trying to see the other side? And trying to let you see what I was saying.

Thanks for the hostility,
Blend57

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Religion has no factor on a persons intelligence to me, so, I was trying to see the other side? And trying to let you see what I was saying.

Blend57

Where did I show any emotion - sarcasm - hostility?

I stand by my viewpoint.

I know - - how dare anyone not support Christianity. I'll just accept their hateful comments about atheists and Islam.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Why? If you don't believe in God, why make a religion out of it?
reply to post by Domo1

It can't be a religion since it is irreligious, and what's more based on fact.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Blend57

Relgion has no bearing on intelligence tho as some try to paint those who hold a belief in that as just "stupid"

Atheistic demagoguery in other words.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

wow. from 1 to 5 percent? wow. impressive. lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I don't actually class my self as an Atheist because claiming that there is no God without evidence is almost as bad as claiming there is

Yeah, that makes sense. Claiming that there is no god without evidence, when there is no evidence of the god itself; somehow a bad thing.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join