It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
CONSCiOUSJEXx...

It's a code peoople, JESUS.

Lets not be coy, here...

Lets see who can figure it out first...

Good Luck...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blazingdefiance

The thickness of your sarcasm made it hard to discern your point

Either way, yay science and
religion!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Poople... I meant to say People.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
yeah I love sarcasm, its such a great way of getting on peoples nerves without being directly offencive

it's a wonderful art

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Neckbeard wants a debate!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by Annee

Spiritual Atheists? I've never heard these two words use in the same sentence. I would look this up, but I have a feeling that you could explain it much better to me. well if your willing of course.

Atheism means "lack of belief in a god/deity" - - - there are hard atheists that think everything has to be scientifically proven. But - I believe everything is energy. That thought is creative energy. I believe consciousness exists in energy. But there is no God - - in the religious sense.

THE CENTER FOR SPIRITUAL ATHEISM: www.spiritualatheism.com...

and how much have you seen?

How much of an absence of God have you felt to implore you to that side...

Ohh, nevermind...

I imagine just about everything is absent of "God" in your eyes...

In your eyes...

Pill Collins is teh masters...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I have no idea what you all are driving at.

Lets get on topic

Atheism is on the rise in the United States.

I believe it's due to a cultural embrace of science. And with that an appreciation of evidence over faith. More to the point there is not sufficient evidence to believe there is a god with certainty because of the lack of evidence. And most certainly not enough evidence to support that any Abrahamic religion is true.

That's why I believe there is a decline in believers. I think there is growing trend, thankfully, that each generation is better. Each generation takes on the torch of wisdom and runs its stride.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
lol, how is Atheism NOT a religion?

and why is the word capitalized?

may as well call it the religion of no-religion.
edit on 16-8-2012 by rainbowbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uneedhlp247

I'm not a religious person but I do know that when our government feared god it ran a lot smoother, less crooked politicians and more got accomplished for a lot less money.. Now, there's no fear! Screw us all for there's no penalty in the end.. Seems to me there are many atheists within.. If so, we are fu--ed!!

I surprisingly agree with you.

edit on 16-8-2012 by ParacelsusPontifex because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by ParacelsusPontifex because: Adding words to post.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rainbowbear

lol, how is Atheism NOT a religion?

Atheism is the lack of belief in god. No belief in god. That's it. That is literally IT. That's the extent of it. If you want to call that a religion than go ahead but it's friggin absurd to do so.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

i know what the official definition might say, now lets talk about what words actually mean.

it seems just as absurd to hold a belief, ANY belief--so religiously as to there being no god. Especially a "group". In fact, if there is no god as atheists claim, why are there atheists at all? they seem to exist only as an antithesis to religion. this belief seems religious, or at the very least, built on faith.

In simpler terms, atheism exists because belief in god exists. no god=no atheists.

I think Alan Watts said it best--"no one believes in God like an Atheist!"

What is it then? Organized Atheism?
surely you see the logic here.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

its funny that you say this because there are plenty of "scientists" that have came to the understanding that there is an unknown creator in effect--mathematically there are many examples in occult teachings of scientists "finding" god in their experiments..Newton is one. Einstein is one. John Dee is one. But its not like these stories would be well published.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

That sure is some circular logic to support your beliefs. If your statement were true how could The Pirahã tribe have no concept of a supreme spirit or god?

Here, I'll spell it out. Some folks believe that there is a intelligent being that created everything, knows everything, and influences everything. Some folks don't believe there is such a being. Some folks aren't sure.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

No 2 Atheist are the same, they do not have rules to follow which would put them in a group or cult.

There could be Atheist who is Anti Abortion, and one who is Pro Abortion, only similarities is that they don;t believe in a god.

Atheist would be default of all human being, everyone would be "0", but some people decided to create god, which caused the "0" to become "1", so people who didn't agree with the created god had to call themselves Atheist in order to bring the "1" back to "0". I suck at metaphors lol.

Atheist is there so you wont automatically assume i'm religious because most of the people 100yrs ago thought its normal and you should belong to religion.

Atheism = religion is the same as Bald = Hair colour.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Bald people couldn't exist without brunettes.

Yeah, that does sound pretty stupid

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

Yes, it does......................................

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well if this poll is accurate and true, this is a step in the right direction.

It means people are thinking for themselves, and children are not blindly accepting the beliefs of their parents just because "our family has always been .

I'm not saying Atheism is correct. I'm just saying this type of poll points toward people thinking for themselves. I'd rather see Buddism or some other similar religion on the rise than atheism, because that would show not only free thinking, but possible research and decision making when deciding ones personal belief system.

This whole I'm a because my parents were, and that's how I wasd raised. Well what if your parents we're Hard-Core Racists? It's time we broke this cycle, because it's the same as kids becoming abusive adults, because they were raised in an abusive home. At some pont you have to take responsibility to think for yourself and decide what is right and what is wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

well, actually its part duality, part Zen. i didnt make it up, its a conclusion that some who have asked this question before have came to. When I pondered this question, because i let go of my beliefs for just a moment --I saw the connection between belief in god, and the belief in none. To say there is no connection is being ignorant of the context of theism and atheism as a social movement. Sure makes sense to me.

But i dont expect it to make sense to atheists--they are ignorant of religion. therefore, any mention of faith, or asking about an atheists beliefs in the context of religion--seems to go the way of most religious debate. Its a faith thing. Otherwise maybe they would see the irony.

Yes, Atheism is the antithesis to Theism. Thats what the words mean, in the context of Atheism's popularity as opposite of belief in god. Its still a way to live your life. Something you do everyday. you just dont follow the same avatars. But you may rave about how free man is without god in the picture....

To be atheist, you must have great faith in the lack of god. Meaning god is present to be ignorant of.

This argument IS religious in nature. Feel free to defend your dogma with what ever trivialization works for you. Or maybe you will ponder my point instead?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I agree that the internet is responsible. People don't have to take a majority view at face value any more. They can get a second opinion on the net. They can find out why and how they are being manipulated and lied to. The independent thinkers have been few due to powerful leaders and peer pressure. The internet forums and articles have exposed this control system. It will be nice when independent thinking, rather than conformity, is being taught at home. We're even more divided now that the truth is online. When the truth is being supported by families, we will come together.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
But i dont expect it to make sense to atheists--they are ignorant of religion.

Really? How many religious folk think this is true? I've studied religion at seminary. I've had plenty of religious experiences and revelations. I've hung out with preachers and theologists.

The most interesting religious experience was when I was saved. I had been through years of systematic control and then two years with abuse added to the mix. When it finally ended, I had nothing. I was without the guidance of my masters. I was in a daze from the drugs I was handed on a daily basis. I went to see a preacher, as someone in my position had no friends, only handlers. I expressed that I saw no logic in God, and that I saw the world as full of people who wanted to use me. He said this is a point at which many seek spiritual guidance. He said we are most receptive to being saved at that point. I was taken aback by his honesty. On about my third visit to his office, he called another a preacher to come over. The other preacher introduced himself and asked if I was ready to accept Jesus. I was up for the experience, so I agreed to play along. He started talking and then put his hands on me. I went into a euphoric daze. I came out right as he finished talking to and touching me. I don't know what he said or did, but I was then a full on believing Christian. I was rescued from this trance by a girl. It later occurred to me that a hypnotist was called in to take advantage of my situation.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join