It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
lol, how is Atheism NOT a religion?

and why is the word capitalized?

may as well call it the religion of no-religion.

Atheism is simply lack of belief in a god/deity. Nothing more. If an atheist has a belief - - it is their personal philosophy - - sometimes referred to as an atheist philosophy.

It is incorrect to capitalize atheism. It is not a capitalized word. I tend to capitalize a lot of words if they are the subject of discussion. Its a style.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfiniteConsciousness

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by SolarIce
reply to post by Annee

Spiritual Atheists? I've never heard these two words use in the same sentence. I would look this up, but I have a feeling that you could explain it much better to me. well if your willing of course.

Atheism means "lack of belief in a god/deity" - - - there are hard atheists that think everything has to be scientifically proven. But - I believe everything is energy. That thought is creative energy. I believe consciousness exists in energy. But there is no God - - in the religious sense.

THE CENTER FOR SPIRITUAL ATHEISM: www.spiritualatheism.com...

and how much have you seen?

How much of an absence of God have you felt to implore you to that side...

Ohh, nevermind...

I imagine just about everything is absent of "God" in your eyes...

In your eyes...

Pill Collins is teh masters...

I have no idea who "Pill" Collins is.

When I was young I considered being a Christian minister. I wanted to be an informed and honest minister - - - so I began searching the history of Jesus Christ. The facts and the myth do not match up.

After about 60 years I stepped completely out of the "god circle".

Search for truth led me to accept I am atheist.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Good. The human race is becoming more intelligent.

Well, more knowledgeable, perhaps, but I dare say not more intelligent. I could be wrong though. I too think the decline in religion is because of the Internet and all of the knowledge contained therein. One can easily find sites where there are compiled lists of atrocities and absurdities, not to mention the contradictions in the Bible. They can read the Mesopotamian Texts, such as the EnumaElish, the first story of Creation, or how about the Epic of Gilgamesh, the origilal Flood Story. People seem to be waking up to the mind control of Christianity, and many see organized religion as a Cult.
A few years ago none of this information would have been available to the average reader. In the dark days before the advent of the Internet, people had to read books to do research. I still have reams of notes and stuff from my days of researching religious theology and origins.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rainbowbear

To be atheist, you must have great faith in the lack of god. Meaning god is present to be ignorant of.

Right here, this statement is the vortex! It's a confounding conclusion! I have great faith in the lack of 500 foot tall, green duck. Does it have to exist in order for me to be ignorant of it?

Religious dogma often brings this movie line to mind...

This is great stuff. I could make a career out of this guy! You see how clever his part is? How it doesn't require a shred of proof? Most paranoid delusions are intricate, but this is brilliant! - Dr. Silberman

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
I agree that the internet is responsible. People don't have to take a majority view at face value any more. They can get a second opinion on the net. They can find out why and how they are being manipulated and lied to. The independent thinkers have been few due to powerful leaders and peer pressure. The internet forums and articles have exposed this control system. It will be nice when independent thinking, rather than conformity, is being taught at home. We're even more divided now that the truth is online. When the truth is being supported by families, we will come together.

Best answer so far IMO.

Internet = information.

Although - - it does seriously require a "critical thinking filter" - - - to weed through all the junk.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

But i dont expect it to make sense to atheists--they are ignorant of religion. therefore, any mention of faith, or asking about an atheists beliefs in the context of religion--seems to go the way of most religious debate. Its a faith thing. Otherwise maybe they would see the irony.

That is not true at all.

Many atheists find their way through religion.

It is because of my search for the true God I accepted atheism.

I think atheism is honesty and is on the rise now because many are not accepting the myths of religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lannister
We as a people will never be free until we break free from religion. That's not to say you can't believe in God(s), just to say that man written scripture should not be worshiped. For the record, I don't agree with atheism - something created this universe.

Hear hear! I fully agree that humanity will never be free until they throw off the chains of religious dogma. For the record, I am not an atheist, I believe there is a Great Divine Father and Mother that is far and above any human being, but they do not intervene in the affairs of man/womankind. As for who and what they are, I have not a clue. I do know that one fine day I will be reunited with my Creators. Wicca is not really a religion at all, more like a way of life.
I think a few other Countries also have a religion that is a way of life, rather than a cult-like mentality.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Originally posted by MassOccurs
reply to post by ManOfHart

Sure, existence hasn't been formulated but when considering the overall structure of the universe, higher intelligence seems more likely than randomness..

Based on what?

Based on logic, and knowledge of the mechanics of the Universe.
What ManOfHart means is simply there is evidence of intelligent design.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
After all, religion is a man-made phenomena.

Like religion, political parties, race, gender, socio-economic status, beauty, and age separates unity of people and we wonder why we have problems...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Here's your first logical misunderstanding. You think independence from any exterior source of power outside of ones self is the result of ones self feeling a sense of 'invincibility'... but you're quite wrong sir, there is another important reason for such a disconnection: proof.

So you're search for proof is different from mine. You look for it in terms of 'logic' and discursive reason - which is post conscious, posterior to our preconscious sense of awe. I think you put too much stake into that.

I simply don't latch onto any external godly power because I don't believe such a thing exists in the traditional sense.

So is this a question of pride then? You're too proud to admit weakness?? When I argued that man needs the crutch of God to help him walk, I wasn't referring only to the Judeo-Christian God, - although that is my brand - but any external referent. This is consistent with both Jungian psychology and Logotherapy. From different perspectives, granted, but it's admitted that the self is truly impotent before the dangers which exist outside and within it.

Since I don't think you've ever tasted anything remotely as evil as what I alluded to before, what would you do if you couldn't sleep for 3 weeks? If your nerves were being eaten alive from within from anxiety? If you were stricken with paranoia, fear - all of which you knew perfectly well was irrational - but you in your conscious position could not hold such thinking off. You're barraged by such thoughts. What do you do?? And lets assume - since this is truly an existential question - that you can't just jump to psychotropic drugs for your miraculous cure... You'd do what what 99% of humans have historically done. Pray to God or gods.

Actually I am agnostic, I accept the fact some sort of omnipresent consciousness exists but that doesn't provide any logical reasoning for assuming such a being would know or care about me, let alone help me in any way were I to ask it for help

You talk about logic but how bout this logic: If God is infinite - which is usually assumed - finitude poses no problem to his infinity. Finitude is equally nothing before his infinite being. Thus, the infinitesimally small and the universal are exactly equal in His sight; the person, and the cosmos, of equal concern to him. There is no logic to this deistic prejudice that God if he exists probably doesn't care about how I live. It's just a prejudice that helps you live in accord with a vision of God that doesn't make any moral demands from you.

A human being who feels that based on all my experience and the evidence available to me, that even if a "God" exists it will not provide any help to me for any reason and there is absolutely zero reason to rely on help from such an external source.

Sure there is. Time and again people derive strength and 'numinosity' from God in their time of need. That's the whole idea: the self seems to be weaker when it has no existential chord to hold onto. Life saps it of it's energy when one is completely immured by it; God is that outside source, preceding creation, preceding what's actual, which infuses the supplicant with reservoirs of energy and resilience in it's time of need.

Again, I am not arguing simply in favor of the Jewish God. I am saying in general - some theistic deity. Some god that intervenes in ones time of need. Buddhists too have their own petitions to deities, or buddhas, whom they call upon in difficult times.

I prefer to help myself and take action myself to make a difference, rather than pray to an invisible, probably non-existent entity, for help and direction. I help myself and carve out my own direction, I am my own being and I have no master who owns me.

Oh..So it's pride, as I thought. You don't want to be 'owned'?? But perhaps you are already owned? You're alread subject to so many conditions - to gravity, to biological needs to eat, sleep, have sex. You are already a servant to these drives. But none of them care for you. None of them do anything but provide you impersonal necessities towards safety (respecting physical laws like gravity, for example) and health. But what of your soul? What of the existential?

preferring to suffer has nothing to do with it, I simply believe I'm going to suffer whether or not I beg some invisible entity for help or not.

And you accuse me of presuming? What is this? That it 'makes no difference'?? Of course it does! It's just to you, you could not force yourself to believe. You just don't "feel" it. But that doesn't mean others don't. And that doesn't mean you too couldn't behold such support in your hour of need.

The obdurance of the self is broken down when it is drained of all vital energy. In that hour, you act irrationally, against what you thought you would do. You act as a child - as someone bereft of 'sophist' presumptions - connecting with that primal intuition which although irrational, yet feels so natural to humankind.

If you didn't act, and preferred to continue suffering, that my friend would be stupid and self defeating. Because fact is, you would imbibe support, would be enriched by the waters from above, enabling you to hold on or at least arrive at a state of peace: it is in that supernal condition, that higher realm of being, which you find repose. It's specifically unhuman.

And quite frankly I don't like to rely on invisible entities and call on their help and guidance merely when it suites my needs and then ignore them the rest of the time.

I'm not suggesting that at all. God should never be something you just 'call on when needed'; he's not a device or item one uses when one feels. That's obnoxious and offensive to the conscience. I'm only pointing out that in your lowest state, when you recognize your inherent dependency on some 'other', you come out of that condition more humble about your existence in this world. God becomes not a stranger, but a constant companion who accompanies you and guides you in your living. Of course, this world so contradicts the rules of living with God that one often forgets - but you return and strive to make a greater effort. Hence the biblical name Israel - bestowed on Jacob after wrestling with God - means "wrestle with God". THAT defines man's life. Believing is not easy, but there is something in us which impels us towards searching for that belief, to living with God. You don't always feel his presence, but there are times when He is felt very deeply, and those moments leave their indelible mark.

Yes it's true a great number of people are very weak minded and fall back onto such mental crutches when ever it suites them, but you truly underestimate how strong minded a lot of other people are.

But I thought you acknowledged your weakness? Now, you are mentally strong? I'm imagining a condition which is a potential for any human being - emotional and physical exhaustion - inducing a feeling of helplessness before rampant worries, fears - of not sleeping, for example. Nobody when in a weak enough state is invincible to that thought. And that thought is impelled by an external force. And that force forces you - the mighty human - to think idiotic things. But you can't help it. You are weakened and afraid. Childlike - because you know what?? we never grow so large as to cease being children in some essential way. These moments humble man. They are good for the self. But what would you do? Or will you again obstinately insure me that "some people aren't so mentally weak"??? My analogy with aids was a apt metaphor: the bodies impotence before the aids virus is akin to the minds weakness before a neuroses. If the mind is weak enough, from some stress, or bodily exhaustion, you're now in a different domain. You're some place else. Your usual vitality and confidence against disturbing emotions is gone. And whats left is just fear, paranoia, and obsession. What then?
edit on 16-8-2012 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by blazingdefiance

also not sure if i'm understanding you here correctly but are you trying to say that a lack of faith in a higher being leads to mantal illness? excuse me sir/mam but i find this remark RATHER OFFENCIVE!

ummm, no. People who are so confident in their mental strength believe that mental illness - by which I mean, a neurosis - is beyond them. I did not mean that not believing in a higher being leads to that state; however, once in that state, people often do come away with a belief in a higher being.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiderLL
After all, religion is a man-made phenomena.

Like religion, political parties, race, gender, socio-economic status, beauty, and age separates unity of people and we wonder why we have problems...

Absolutely true.

Who knows - - there may actually be a Creator of the Universe - - but that is not what man made religion is about.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Atheists have overtaken the ultra religious on my annoying meter.

[removed OT Picture]

Always seem to somehow insert the atheism into conversations. Why? If you don't believe in God, why make a religion out of it?

edit on 8/15/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Yes. And if you believe in God, why make a religion out of it?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.washingtonpost.com

Religiosity is on the decline in the U.S. and atheism is on the rise, according to a new worldwide poll.

The poll, called “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent. At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Woo-hoo!! It's about time we stopped acting like a bunch of inbred hill-folk all the time.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.washingtonpost.com

Religiosity is on the decline in the U.S. and atheism is on the rise, according to a new worldwide poll.

The poll, called “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent. At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.

(visit the link for the full news article)

There's a huge difference between being religious and believing in God/a Supreme Being. I wouldn't call myself religious at all, since that implies affiliation with an organized religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
No one can measure a person’s intelligence by their religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs. I get offended when people start to equate how intelligent a person is based on their beliefs. Both sides of the table have and do offer some great minds.

Religious contributors:

Galileo Galilei

Catholic

astronomer; accurately described heliocentric solar system
www.adherents.com...

Athiest contributors:

Paul Adrien Maurice Dirac [1902-1984] was a British theoretical physicist who contributed to the early development of quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics [QED].
brainz.org...

Each of the people listed above had very different belief systems and managed to accomplish great things.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If someone believes there is a God, Higher Power, or what have you, then it should be left as that. Religion serves no purpose because if you think about it, almost every religion has the same philosophy towards life. We all know that doing the right thing means good things happens and when one makes bad choices, we suffer the consequences.

I don't affiliate with any religion and consider myself to be spiritual and live towards my own belief of what my purpose in life is. I believe in the power of my subconscious mind and that I am my own God. I have reviewed the Bible few times but never actually read it nor do I understand Christianity and thank goodness it was never preach upon me growing up. It is unfair that this country is divided because of so many different race but yet, America identifies only as Christian or Catholic.

Unfortunately, religion itself makes us who we are today - whether good or bad - but I can't argue because I know nothing about many different religion other than it really doesn't help us all.

People want to tarnish Islamic beliefs, but very few people understand that people create stories that becomes an accepted belief within that religion.

Same goes for which religion accepts abortion and which doesn't, which accepts murder and which doesn't, which accept pre marital sex and which doesn't.

I have not met one person who FOLLOWS every single belief in a SINGLE religion, do you? Nope. Therefore, religion is null and void. *sarcastic grin*

Disclaimer note: I am blabbing, don't take it offensively, because religion is something I never discuss with anyone, nor do I allow it come between me and the other person.. So maybe it is why I don't know jack sh*t.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

This is excellent news.

Of course, this has been happening for decades. The only thing keeping most churches in the UK open is the influx of religious migrants from Eastern Europe and African nations. And still there are not enough religious people coming here to keep the churches from closing.

If - as I suspect - this is because of the distance between the ideals of the public and doctrine of religions, the same is happening in the USA.

And long may the decline continue. Organized religion is a cancer.
Whether it's Islam, Christianity or $cientology, the views espoused often contradict the ideals of a free and equal modern society. They wish to control others and force their will on the population ignoring the wishes and beliefs of the population. Of course they're going to fail.

Become modern, or become extinct. I hope they become extinct.

The biggest thing that could happen in my lifetime is the end of organized religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blend57

No one can measure a person’s intelligence by their religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs

That's a matter of opinion.

If someone believes that there is a pink bunny sitting on Mars that controls the weather, you might think they are stupid.

Likewise, I might think that someone believing in an invisible sky God is also stupid.

Therefore, I can certainly assess a persons intelligence through what they believe.

Someone who still thinks the Earth is flat, is stupid IMO.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's sharp because the internet made it "safer" for atheists to come out of the proverbial closet.

They realized they aren't alone, and it's an empowering feeling.

About time we evolve past all that nonsense. It served its purpose. time to move on.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join